ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Chiefspants 01-28-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10398926)
I saw Dayton Moore speak today. Lot of questions asked of him were bad, but there were a lot of good ones. Some cliffs:

- The bidding for Beltran was very close. Talking about a small amount of money, but he thought Carlos wanted to be a Yank all along. If Cano resigns with New York, Beltran probably is a Royal.

- Taking steps to ensure Zimmer is still available to pitch in September and October and hasn't run up against his innings limit.

- Manaea talked about as potentially being in line to help in 2015

- Stressed patience/Torii Hunter taking 6 years when talking about Bubba Starling and his development. He's very sure of his natural ability and physical tools. Talked about needing to give him a chance to let his natural ability at the plate catch up to his competition level. He's got the skill but high school experience hurt him.

- Brad Penny signing was based on connections to staff. Sounds like he was already living in KC. Also sounds like he will be looked at as a SP.

- Interesting comments about John Lamb. They're looking for the velocity to bump up a half-grade on all his pitches. Very pleased with his command and other pitching skills.

- Talked about working with Duffy on picking his spots for max velo and using that to help him work late into games.

- Expects .240-.260 with 25 HR and very good D from Moose (My take: If you get this, you're in really good shape)

Was Santana or questions over additional spending addressed at all?

mr. tegu 01-28-2014 04:43 PM

When did we trade Justin Maxwell for Jason Maxwell? Is Jason any good?

Sure-Oz 01-28-2014 05:02 PM

Royals should look into this as a possibility as well.

A.J. Burnett plans to pitch in 2014 and is thought to be open to offers from all teams.
Burnett stated at the end of the 2013 season that he was either going to retire or return for one final season in Pittsburgh, but he has apparently changed his mind. "I suspect he is going to open himself up to the market," a source told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Tuesday. Burnett, 37, registered an outstanding 3.30 ERA, 1.215 WHIP and 209/67 K/BB ratio in 191 innings last year for the Pirates.
Source: Travis Sawchik on Twitter
Jan 28 - 4:50 PM

Chiefspants 01-28-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10399112)
Royals should look into this as a possibility as well.

A.J. Burnett plans to pitch in 2014 and is thought to be open to offers from all teams.
Burnett stated at the end of the 2013 season that he was either going to retire or return for one final season in Pittsburgh, but he has apparently changed his mind. "I suspect he is going to open himself up to the market," a source told Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Tuesday. Burnett, 37, registered an outstanding 3.30 ERA, 1.215 WHIP and 209/67 K/BB ratio in 191 innings last year for the Pirates.
Source: Travis Sawchik on Twitter
Jan 28 - 4:50 PM

This could also help our chances in netting Santana. Teams may be more apt to ink Burnett rather than forfeiting a draft pick to attain Santana.

duncan_idaho 01-28-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10399074)
Was Santana or questions over additional spending addressed at all?

He said what he has said several times before... David Glass has always made resources available when requested.

On Santana, basically what was in the Star today. They're still in touch. Every day that passes without him signing improves the hope they can bring him back.

Chiefspants 01-28-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10399119)
He said what he has said several times before... David Glass has always made resources available when requested.

On Santana, basically what was in the Star today. They're still in touch. Every day that passes without him signing improves the hope they can bring him back.

I had missed the article, thanks!

Coach 01-28-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10399114)
This could also help our chances in netting Santana. Teams may be more apt to ink Burnett rather than forfeiting a draft pick to attain Santana.

The only team I can see getting Santana would be the Blue Jays, as both of their first round picks (they have two) is protected.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/1/2...=articlebottom

Quote:

Toronto would only be required to lose their second-round selection as both of their first rounders are protected.

Sure-Oz 01-28-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10399136)
The only team I can see getting Santana would be the Blue Jays, as both of their first round picks (they have two) is protected.

What a load of crap...that would be worst case scenario for the Royals getting a lower pick if they lose Santana

Coach 01-28-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10399148)
What a load of crap...that would be worst case scenario for the Royals getting a lower pick if they lose Santana

I agree as well.

Coach 01-28-2014 05:32 PM

Security wise, a one year isn't good for Santana, which I can understand and respect that, but if he would come back to KC for a one year deal for whatever is reasonable for a one year deal, and if he pitches lights-out like what he did in 2013 or better, then I think that would send a message to the MLB GM's and Owners that he had two solid seasons in a row, which would enable him to at least get a good multi-year contract that he is looking for.

Just my opinion.

lewdog 01-28-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 10398986)
Get us some more of those awesome pictures.

Hopefully the wife can tag along to do that.

I'd love to meet up with any of you that are coming to town during Spring Training.

kcchiefsus 01-28-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10399136)

Why are they protected?

duncan_idaho 01-28-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 10399620)
Why are they protected?

Top 10 picks are always protected, so their No. 9 pick is safe. The Blue Jays also have a comp pick for not being able to sign Phil Bickford from the 2013 draft (No. 11). That pick is always protected the next year.

In that case, they would sacrifice the second round pick.

sedated 01-28-2014 09:41 PM

Im sorry but no way I see Santana taking a 1 year deal. Even if he duplicates his great season, he is just 1 year older when it ends. He will take the longest contract offered.

But I will say that, assuming there is no way in hell Shields re-signs here, Santana would not be a bad option to give a few years. I would guess 3 is the minimum.

alnorth 01-29-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10399646)
Im sorry but no way I see Santana taking a 1 year deal. Even if he duplicates his great season, he is just 1 year older when it ends. He will take the longest contract offered.

But I will say that, assuming there is no way in hell Shields re-signs here, Santana would not be a bad option to give a few years. I would guess 3 is the minimum.

Yep, there is not a chance in hell he takes a 1 year deal. It may be less than 14MM AAV, but he'll take the best long-term deal available, at least 3 years.