ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

penguinz 09-27-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8954654)
dumbbells, 70 pound dumbbells

:rolleyes:

Aspengc8 09-27-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8954668)
I see people talking about the Starting Strength program, is that this?:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

I pretty much do that now, except i've been doing 5 sets of 8, at lower weights. I'm a pussy and can't lift much, although i've improved quite a bit since i've started.

Starting strength is one of many good beginner programs. It has very basic strength programming without any fluff. Wendler 5/3/1 is another popular (more advanced) strength program.

Aspengc8 09-27-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8954680)
do 10 to 12 reps a flat rate, but at lower weights it's all about perfecting the technique at medium to medium slow speed while your repping it out to 10-12. compound movements ( combine two exercises in one rep helps for variation too)

lol wut LMAO

ThaVirus 09-27-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8954690)
The bad thing about that is that, because it's only $10 a month, there are 1000 people there at any given time. I took a tour at about 1:00 at my local one and there were lines at damn near every machine. 1:00! I wouldn't even want to see how many people there are after 5:00 when people get off work.

Yeah, there are some crowd issues from Monday-Wednesday from around 4:30-7:30. At my location, any time outside of those peak hours is as good as gold. A lot of them in my area have made the 24-hour switch which helps as well.

I still have issues with the lack of free weight equipment and weekend hours. I really prefer free-weight bench press and squat racks but my gym has none and the place closes at 9 pm on Fridays and 7pm Saturdays and Sundays which blows.

Grunting and dropping weights are not really issues for me. I rarely ever do either; but at the same time I recognize the fact that I don't lift as hard as some others. I think it's stupid to outlaw that kind of shit. It's a gym. If people feel intimidated by others working out then they're just big, fat pussies and need to toughen up anyway.

Tribal Warfare 09-27-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8954739)
[/B]

lol wut LMAO

It works great for chest, deltoid, trap, bicep, tricep exercises at low to medium weight at medium speed .

Brock 09-27-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8954743)
Yeah, there are some crowd issues from Monday-Wednesday from around 4:30-7:30. At my location, any time outside of those peak hours is as good as gold. A lot of them in my area have made the 24-hour switch which helps as well..

Hell, I thought they were all 24 hour. I can see why they'd have crowding problems.

Aspengc8 09-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8954747)
It works great for chest, deltoid, trap, bicep, tricep exercises at low to medium weight at medium speed .

why on earth would you want to do medium weight at medium speed, over heavy weight at maximum speed. :banghead:

Tribal Warfare 09-27-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8954759)
why on earth would you want to do medium weight at medium speed, over heavy weight at maximum speed. :banghead:

easy, to make the muscle dense and cut first to avoid injury when you do heavy weight to prevent injury. You flex the focused muscle(s) while doing the rep with proper technique without jerky movement that could **** up your joints and cause tears in the ligaments when the lifter's body isn't fully prepared to do heavier to maxed out weight and reps.

Aspengc8 09-27-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8954770)
easy, to make the muscle dense and cut first to avoid injury when you do heavy weight to prevent injury. You flex the focused muscle(s) while doing the rep with proper technique without jerky movement that could **** up your joints and cause tears in the ligaments when the lifter's body isn't fully prepared to do heavier to maxed out weight and reps.

so lifting medium to light weights makes the muscle cut? Has nothing to do with caloric input? Jeez we been doing it wrong all these years! :banghead:

da fuk am I wasting time doing all these heavy deads & squats when I should be going light. Stupid football strength coaches messed me up!! :#

You got a pic homie? Wanna see how dense and cut you are while poppin' blisters curling 70lbs dumbells (which you consider your light/medium weight) for strict slow reps of 10-12.

Brock 09-27-2012 02:11 PM

Blisters. LMAO If you got blisters lifting weights, you're doing it wrong.

BigCatDaddy 09-27-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8954743)
Yeah, there are some crowd issues from Monday-Wednesday from around 4:30-7:30. At my location, any time outside of those peak hours is as good as gold. A lot of them in my area have made the 24-hour switch which helps as well.

I still have issues with the lack of free weight equipment and weekend hours. I really prefer free-weight bench press and squat racks but my gym has none and the place closes at 9 pm on Fridays and 7pm Saturdays and Sundays which blows.

Grunting and dropping weights are not really issues for me. I rarely ever do either; but at the same time I recognize the fact that I don't lift as hard as some others. I think it's stupid to outlaw that kind of shit. It's a gym. If people feel intimidated by others working out then they're just big, fat pussies and need to toughen up anyway.

What kind of gym doesn't have a bench press and squat rack?

Brock 09-27-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick (Post 8954834)
What kind of gym doesn't have a bench press and squat rack?

PF.

Tribal Warfare 09-27-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8954801)
so lifting medium to light weights makes the muscle cut? Has nothing to do with caloric input? Jeez we been doing it wrong all these years! :banghead:

da fuk am I wasting time doing all these heavy deads & squats when I should be going light. Stupid football strength coaches messed me up!! :#

You got a pic homie? Wanna see how dense and cut you are while poppin' blisters curling 70lbs dumbells (which you consider your light/medium weight) for strict slow reps of 10-12.

Has to be the right calories, carbohydrate intake, and protein, or that shit will go to your stomach. Chill, dude it works for me. First I got my muscle dense and cut by doing the light to medium variation then did the heavy and maxed out weight. Then I alternated with pure power exercises, then mixed heavy and muscle isolation with light and heavy weight, then the compound movements I was talking about for further variation but the key element is the perfection of the technique and form without jerky speed that will **** up your joints.

Aspengc8 09-27-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8954850)
Has to be the right calories, carbohydrate intake, and protein, or that shit will go to your stomach. Chill, dude it works for me. First I got my muscle dense and cut by doing the light to medium variation then did the heavy and maxed out weight. Then I alternated with pure power exercises, then mixed heavy and muscle isolation with light and heavy weight, then the compound movements I was talking about for further variation but the key element is the perfection of the technique and form without jerky speed that will **** up your joints.

I just can't take anything you say serious based off the fact that you got a blister from curling. Curious as to your #'s on core lifts..

Tribal Warfare 09-27-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8954866)
I just can't take anything you say serious based off the fact that you got a blister from curling. Curious as to your #'s on core lifts..

not that heavy since I had a stroke which affected my left side with significant atrophy. So for me it's all about technique, so chill out.