ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Delano 11-18-2008 09:59 AM

I am finishing House of Leaves and recently received McCarthy's Blood Meridian (which is next on my list).

Frosty 11-18-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc (Post 5025164)
I just picked up the entire 11 book series of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series at a yard sale for $6. I am about half-way through the first book. A bit wordy but a good read so far. I am a bit of a sucker for this type of story, though.

I am through the first 3 books. They have been entertaining so far and a faster read than expected, considering each book is over 800 pages. My main gripe with the series so far is there is almost no character development. Despite what each has gone through so far, they are basically the same (mostly) childish characters that started the story.

I am currently taking a break from the series to read Duma Key.

NewChief 11-18-2008 10:10 AM

Currently reading:
Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich. It's an interesting novel set among the metis people.

Recently read:
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (great steampunk novel. Long, though).
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Joker by Ranulfo
Grab on to me Tightly as if I Knew the Way by Bryan Charles (great read if you were in high school in the late 80s and early 90s).

jidar 11-18-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc (Post 5229490)
I am through the first 3 books. They have been entertaining so far and a faster read than expected, considering each book is over 800 pages. My main gripe with the series so far is there is almost no character development. Despite what each has gone through so far, they are basically the same (mostly) childish characters that started the story.

I am currently taking a break from the series to read Duma Key.

I felt like the Series really went downhill with book 4.
It lost me at book 5 or 6, part way through. I can't recall which.
After awhile the manners and personalities of the characters start to seem cliched. Does every female in the series have to be unreasonably angry all the time and cross her arms under her breasts? Do none of them have any hidden motives or slyness?

I really liked the series early, In fact for awhile I considered it the best fantasy fiction I had read, but somewhere around 4000-5000 pages the sameness of it really starts to get on your nerves.

Now I've moved on to George Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire. This truly is the greatest fantasy series ever. :)

L.A. Chieffan 12-09-2008 03:59 PM

Any Xmas suggestions on some Historical Non-Fict about The Civil War? I know there's a ton of stuff out there, anything recent?

El Jefe 12-09-2008 04:11 PM

I'm reading Bill O'Reilly's book a "Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity", I have to say I am really enjoying it. I am re-reading Dave Ramsey's books, very good information in them as well. I am also on my second Richard Stratton book about Pit Bulls, the first one is "This is the American Pit Bull Terrier", it was short but very good. The second one is "The World of the American Pit Bull Terrier", little bit longer, but also very good. MoHillbilly referred these books, and they are good, thanks MO.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-09-2008 04:15 PM

I am currently using my old Library of Conservahacks( Coulter, Savage, and Hannity )for toilet paper.

And it's just about as comfortable to wipe your ass with as it is to read.:D

Third Eye 12-09-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jidar (Post 5229506)
I felt like the Series really went downhill with book 4.
It lost me at book 5 or 6, part way through. I can't recall which.
After awhile the manners and personalities of the characters start to seem cliched. Does every female in the series have to be unreasonably angry all the time and cross her arms under her breasts? Do none of them have any hidden motives or slyness?

I really liked the series early, In fact for awhile I considered it the best fantasy fiction I had read, but somewhere around 4000-5000 pages the sameness of it really starts to get on your nerves.

Now I've moved on to George Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire. This truly is the greatest fantasy series ever. :)

That is a common theme amongst readers of Jordan. I feel the same. ASOIAF, on the other hand, is amazing, but Mr. Martin is beginning to upset me with all the NY football blogging and no Dance with Dragons working.

I just picked up the Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. Read it when I was younger, re-reading it now with a little more appreciation.

Reaper16 12-09-2008 05:01 PM

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Buford

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles : Adventures in the World of Chinese Food by Jennifer 8. Lee

Red Beans 12-09-2008 05:02 PM

Filth by Irvine Welsh. Horrible and great all at once. One of those that makes you a bit queasy at times...

Over-Head 12-16-2008 05:57 AM

Since I'm spending about 1-3 hours a day waiting on a fricken boat I have lots of time to read.
Started Clive Cusslers "Treasures of Gangis Kahn" Last monday. Almost done now. Great read I must say. Typical "Dirk Pitt" Adventure.

JOhn 12-16-2008 06:28 AM

With The Old Breed At Peleliu and Okinawa, by E.B. Sledge.

Read this about 15 or 20 years ago, but recently purchased the latest reprint in hardbound, and am enjoying it even more this time.

If you want a Classic on the Marines in WW2, this book set the standard :clap:

Braincase 12-16-2008 06:31 AM

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

From Wikipedia:

The novel tells the story of John Perry, a 75-year old retired writer, who joins the Colonial Defense Forces. Applicants are required to sign a letter of intent when they are 65—which John and his now deceased wife Kathy had signed 10 years prior. He takes a space elevator to the CDF's Henry Hudson, where his mind is transferred to a new body. This new body, based on his original DNA, has been enhanced for enormous strength, and has been supplemented with several proprietary products which increase the oxygen loading capacity of his blood, provide enhanced eyesight and other enhanced senses. It also features a BrainPal—a neural interface that allows Perry to communicate with other members of the CDF. Perry names his "Asshole", and the names of his fellow recruits' BrainPals also reflect this sentiment.

After receiving basic training on Beta Pyxis III, Perry is shipped out to the CDF's Modesto. Their first engagement is with the Consu, a fierce and intelligent alien species. Perry improvises a tactic which enables the CDF to win this first battle. This is soon followed by a battle with the Whaidians and a battle with the tiny Covandu.

Now a war-seasoned veteran, Perry then participates in the Battle for Coral. The CDF plans to rapidly transport in a small number of vessels to Coral, which is being held by the Rraey. Somehow, the Rraey are able to predict the trajectory of the vessel's skip drives, whereby they destroy the fleet. Perry and a small number of others escape in a shuttle craft and make for the planet's surface, where they are shot down by missiles. Perry is left for dead, only to be rescued by the mysterious "Ghost Brigades", the Special Forces units of the CDF. The leader of the Ghost Brigades rescue team, Jane Sagan, looks like Perry's dead wife Kathy.

After being regenerated, Perry tracks down Jane Sagan, who turns out to have been generated using Kathy Perry's DNA, as legally allowed by her letter of intent to join the CDF. Unlike John, Jane has no memories of her previous life. Jane manipulates her chain of command to promote John as an adviser for a subsequent attack on Coral. The CDF determines that the Rraey have received tachyon technology from the Consu, allowing them to predict the location of their ships. Jane and John then participate in a Ghost Brigades mission to attempt to capture or destroy this technology in advance of a major invasion. While John is instrumental in the successful outcome of the battle, he loses track of Jane as she returns to the insular Ghost Brigades.

NewChief 12-16-2008 06:40 AM

Finished up The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It won the Pulitzer, and it deserved to. The best thing about it is the narrator's voice, which is a cross between a Queen's street thug and a fantasy/scifi fanboy. Definitely worth a read, though.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-16-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 5300228)
Since I'm spending about 1-3 hours a day waiting on a fricken boat I have lots of time to read.
Started Clive Cusslers "Treasures of Gangis Kahn" Last monday. Almost done now. Great read I must say. Typical "Dirk Pitt" Adventure.

You take a ferry in to work?