ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink New cooking methods ... sous vide (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243228)

mikeyis4dcats. 11-07-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536164)
The issue is the lid. I did 48-hour bacon the other day and it was pretty remarkable how quickly my water was evaporating.

I have a lid, it was like $2. Just cut a hole for the Anova. I avoid using it as much as possible due to the reported concerns over steam concentration and the Anova flaking out.

Fire Me Boy! 11-07-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12536706)
I have a lid, it was like $2. Just cut a hole for the Anova. I avoid using it as much as possible due to the reported concerns over steam concentration and the Anova flaking out.

Link?

mikeyis4dcats. 11-07-2016 01:54 PM

also on the vacuum sealer, keep an eye on meh.com, they run the Foodsaver V2222 often for $35.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-07-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536711)
Link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/se...restrict_sr=on

Fire Me Boy! 11-07-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12536715)
also on the vacuum sealer, keep an eye on meh.com, they run the Foodsaver V2222 often for $35.

The sealer I linked in the other thread is by far the best sealer I've used. It pulls a tighter vacuum and since the sealer bar is slightly larger, it provides a better seal. Also, it has a pulse, which I really, really like - means you don't have to push it to full vacuum, which can sometimes squish food too much.

Fire Me Boy! 11-07-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12536719)

Interesting. Thanks.

I may wrap a tea towel around the lid hole.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-07-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536722)
The sealer I linked in the other thread is by far the best sealer I've used. It pulls a tighter vacuum and since the sealer bar is slightly larger, it provides a better seal. Also, it has a pulse, which I really, really like - means you don't have to push it to full vacuum, which can sometimes squish food too much.

I've never had a issue with a tight vaccum on the V222, it pulls hard enough it deforms things. And if I want to be gentle I just hit the seal button before it's finished. Saves me $115 ;)

Fire Me Boy! 11-07-2016 02:12 PM

New cooking methods ... sous vide

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12536760)
I've never had a issue with a tight vaccum on the V222, it pulls hard enough it deforms things. And if I want to be gentle I just hit the seal button before it's finished. Saves me $115 ;)

One of the issues I've had with all three of the FSes I've had (including the most recent FS that was one of the top end models) is the seal holding. A lot (maybe 1/4?) lose the seal in the freezer after a couple months. Hasn't been a problem with the new one. I attribute that at least partly to a wider seal.

DJ's left nut 11-07-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536164)
The issue is the lid. I did 48-hour bacon the other day and it was pretty remarkable how quickly my water was evaporating.

Fishtank, large grate, saran wrap and a towel.

I just put that grate on top, throw saran wrap over it for moisture and a towel for heat retention. Works great and I'm inclined to believe the thick glass sides do a better job retaining heat than the lexan does, though I could be way off there.

DJ's left nut 11-07-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536769)
One of the issues I've had with all three of the FSes I've had (including the most recent FS that was one of the top end models) is the seal holding. A lot (maybe 1/4?) lose the seal in the freezer after a couple months. Hasn't been a problem with the new one. I attribute that at least partly to a wider seal.

My sealer is okay; nothing amazing. It is the model from about 4 years ago; the tall one with the small footprint and the extendable cord that you use for the marinade jar and stuff.

The biggest problem I've had with it was when I was trying to get lobster tails ready for a tailgate the next morning and the 'drip tray full' light wouldn't shut off so the thing wouldn't run. I took it apart, found the relay for the drip tray sensor and just bypassed it. Now it doesn't have a drip tray sensor but I don't suppose I really care that much. I just check it every now and then.

I'm pretty positive that the 'moist' setting for wet foods doesn't actually do anything and I don't think it pulls quite as hard as my last one did, but it does the job.

Fire Me Boy! 11-07-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12536793)
Fishtank, large grate, saran wrap and a towel.

I just put that grate on top, throw saran wrap over it for moisture and a towel for heat retention. Works great and I'm inclined to believe the thick glass sides do a better job retaining heat than the lexan does, though I could be way off there.

I hope you take the fish out.

Unless you're planning poached guppy.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-07-2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536769)

you use generic bags? I've had issues with them, but not to speak of with FS bags. I do often double seal bags I know will be very long term storage.

Fire Me Boy! 11-07-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12536809)
you use generic bags? I've had issues with them, but not to speak of with FS bags. I do often double seal bags I know will be very long term storage.

Used to, but it happened even with the brand bags. I resorted to double sealing, which pisses me off on principle, but even that didn't always work.

DJ's left nut 11-07-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12536804)
I hope you take the fish out.

Unless you're planning poached guppy.

So that's why they keep dying?

The guy told me they were tropical fish, dammit. Surely a little heat shouldn't kill them...

In58men 11-08-2016 08:21 PM

Should I get this too?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...009f94318c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk