ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign Jawaan Taylor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347961)

JPH83 03-14-2023 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 16854029)
I've warmed up to it. Our guys last year got basically handled by those guys. Kid can play and is only 25.

On a side note, Brett massacred Orlando's leverage by snatching Taylor off the market so quickly. Orlando's agent wanted to play phone tag with KC and whoever else was willing to drive the price up. Chiefs exited the conversation very early.

Now Orlando is stuck at the altar and the more time passes the worse it gets for his market. Needless to say the reports of the Chiefs being frustrated with him last year were accurate. "This isn't the guy we thought we were getting." They moved on quick.

I think this could be correct, although it's possible Taylor getting more than expected and the limited number of LT options boosts his pay. I kinda hope he gets a bag as it'll make this move feel like the right move

I keep thinking about the worst case scenario with Taylor and I don't know it's that catastrophic. It's basically that we try him at LT for a couple of years and he's bad and we have a bad RT on the other side too, but you've got to think at that point he switches back to RT and we have an upgrade on what Wylie gave us. Is it great wasting a couple of years and overpaying for a RT, nope, but it's not terminal. The oy way this should truly screw us is if he's injured or forgets how to play RT.

Rasputin 03-14-2023 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Womble (Post 16852382)
Is he better at RT than OBJ is at LT?

Yes. I believe so but I'm wanting him to stay RT and we draft our LTotf. The way Patrick runs around in the backfield we need guys like this on both sides. Problem with OBJ is he was primarily a run blocker and wasn't quick enough on his feet for the pass rushers.

ThyKingdomCome15 03-14-2023 03:23 AM

I still think moving this guy to LT could be a clever smoke screen for the draft. IDK

Chris Meck 03-14-2023 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 16853851)
Totally agree.

I’d like to know the dollars that broke the deal from happening.

I’d also like to know what Veach offered Houston for Tunsil.

I think you guys are overstating things.

I highly doubt Veach 'offered' anything at all to Houston. There may have been a phone call.

"Hey, if you were to move Laremy, what would you be thinking about as compensation? Hmmn. Ok. Well, we'll have to think about that. Thanks for taking my call."

And that was probably it.

Chris Meck 03-14-2023 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 16854038)
I still think moving this guy to LT could be a clever smoke screen for the draft. IDK

Maybe. But what it what it does for sure is opens up the draft by a huge amount.

If, say, an Anton Harrison falls to #31, you could take him, leave Taylor at RT, and you're in excellent shape at OT and draft a WR or DE in the second. OR if there's not a LT, you can simply take one of the good DE's that may be on the board (Foskey, or Felix, or Adewore, or what have you). OR if a WR they love like Hyatt falls, they can do that and push OT and DE down.

It really opens up the board instead of needing to push to get an OT. You KNOW Taylor is a good and ascending RT, and you THINK he can make the move to LT and play at a high level.

O.city 03-14-2023 05:56 AM

He’s playing LT guys. Plan accordingly

Couch-Potato 03-14-2023 06:10 AM

I'm good with this move. Taylor was the 3rd best pass blocking OT last year, apparently, and is coming at a fair rate. We're doing with him what we should have done with OBJ, lock him up early at a fair rate before he wins a bunch of accolades and expects more. I agree that he's not set in stone at LT, and that taking an OT in the 1st is still likely to finalize our OL for the next several years.

Bob Dole 03-14-2023 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16854059)

Does that officially make KC the place where RTs go to play LT?

O.city 03-14-2023 07:11 AM

Listening to Nate Taylor about the situation, seems it played out about as we kinda thought it would. They had a number for OBJ, he was adamant he wanted to be higher than Ronnie Stanley or the highest paid LT even. They approached the Texans for Tunsil, he insinuated the Chiefs wanted to give up the 2nd, Texans wanted the first.

Chiefs pivoted here and felt they could get a bit of a better deal financially as Taylor would negotiate with them better than OBJ would.

MIAdragon 03-14-2023 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16854059)

Was told we were going to bring back OBJ and to plan accordingly…..

rfaulk34 03-14-2023 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16854014)
LMAO

I have nothing to be bitter about.

You better belize i'd be bitter if i was a 40 year old virgin.

FringeNC 03-14-2023 07:33 AM

I think this guy will be better than OBJ. It's going to be interesting to see what type of contract OBJ snags. Does he get what he wanted from the Chiefs?

O.city 03-14-2023 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 16854089)
Was told we were going to bring back OBJ and to plan accordingly…..

They're not gonna pay a RT 20 mil a year I doubt.

The Franchise 03-14-2023 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16854112)
They're not gonna pay a RT 20 mil a year I doubt.

They probably think they have a better shot at getting a RT in the draft than they do a LT that they can trust.

O.city 03-14-2023 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16854126)
They probably think they have a better shot at getting a RT in the draft than they do a LT that they can trust.

Taylor seemed to thing Niang and a vet FA like Remmers is the way they go there unless someone they really like falls to them.