ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith Traded to Chiefs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270464)

-King- 03-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9474214)
the bengals trailed a lot more than the 49ers, therefore dalton had to throw more, also the bengals do not have the 49ers run game.

Hence more throws and need for throwing tds than the 49ers

+ The Bengals trusted Dalton a shit ton more than the 49ers trusted Smith.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9474202)
last year he would have.

And he did in 2011.

King's focusing on some pretty odd volume stats to support his argument here. Then again, Smith does really well on my 2 favorite stats (YPA and passer rating) so I'll admit my own bias there.

Smith's not been the volume passer that Dalton has been, but he's been a significantly more efficient passer and he's proven to be as accurate as anyone around.

Chiefnj2 03-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474188)

It's not a bad technique when you do it well.

And you have a great defense and special teams.

Smith's acceptable numbers the last two years are a direct result of being put on a leash shorter than anything Cassel was ever on.

RunKC 03-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9474211)
No he wouldn't. Last year he would have had 24 TDs if he played the whole season. Dalton had 27. He would have had 3318 yards. Dalton had 3669.

I don't get this argument. Andy Dalton peed his pants every playoff game he played while Alex Smith played well.

I'd rather take the guy who can win.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9474215)

The Bengals didn't have a choice; their running game sucked.

The Bengals trusted Green a shitload more than the 49ers trusted any pass catcher they have.

Seriously - Green spent the entire first half of the season just jumping over people and stealing away balls that should've been picked. It was a clinic. Had Dalton thrown up some of that shit in SF, he would've been crucified.

I'm fairly convinced a lot of you folks didn't actually watch Dalton play much - I'm really not kidding when I say that he was little more than the AJ Green Jugs machine.

KurtCobain 03-07-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9474215)

And it netted them key losses.

-King- 03-07-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9474218)
I don't get this argument. Andy Dalton peed his pants every playoff game he played while Alex Smith played well.

I'd rather take the guy who can win.

:spock: Alex Smith has played in a total of 2 playoff games and won 1 in his 8 year career. Dalton has played in 2 in the first 2 years of his career.

Yeah, very good comparison. Nice job.

Carlota69 03-07-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474208)
Ah, so nebulous nonsense.

"He makes his teammates better"... How the hell do you figure? He throws the ball to AJ Green. AJ Green makes Dalton better, not vice versa. And lets not act like the Bengals were just a sorry sack of a franchise before he got there - they have a better recent past than the Chiefs do, that's for damn sure. Carson Palmer, Housh, Chad Johnson; that team wasn't exactly hurting to throw the ball over the previous few seasons, especially not when Palmer was healthy.

Meanwhile Alex Smith got drafted to a team that was so !@#$ing bad when he took over that they were drafting #1 overall - how the **** does Steve Youngs play a decade earlier matter one damn bit?

It's the same old crap. You have absolutely nothing except for loaded rhetoric and completely unsubstantiated emotional tripe. No, Alex Smith did not step into a situation any better than the one Dalton did, in fact it was far worse. He didn't go to a team with AJ Green and a stable coaching staff that had spent the previous 7(ish) years installing the same offense. He didn't go to a solid veteran unit that had a bunch of playoff experience. He went to a team that was half a decade removed from being decent, that had absolutely imploded under a bunch of bad coaching decisions and had next to nothing offensively in the cupboard.

But hey, keep on ****ing that chicken.

:clap::clap:

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9474217)
And you have a great defense and special teams.

Smith's acceptable numbers the last two years are a direct result of being put on a leash shorter than anything Cassel was ever on.

I disagree.

He was on a similar leash to Cassel, but since his team wasn't having to push it downfield and because he was able to actually execute to put himself in more makeable 2nd and 3rd down solutions, he wasn't being forced to throw it downfield.

And do you not agree that defense and special teams should be the Chiefs biggest strengths next season?

Mav 03-07-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474229)
I disagree.

He was on a similar leash to Cassel, but since his team wasn't having to push it downfield and because he was able to actually execute to put himself in more makeable 2nd and 3rd down solutions, he wasn't being forced to throw it downfield.

And do you not agree that defense and special teams should be the Chiefs biggest strengths next season?

No, because to some people on this forum, every season is the same.

I honestly cant understand it. The chiefs qbs turned the ball over 37 times last year. That number will be cut by at least 20 next year, meaning the defense will spend less time on the field, the offense will spend more. Therefore the defense will play better, the offense will play better from the standpoint that instead of a drive ending in a turnover, it will end in a kick, one way or the other.

Frosty 03-07-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474216)
And he did in 2011.

King's focusing on some pretty odd volume stats to support his argument here. Then again, Smith does really well on my 2 favorite stats (YPA and passer rating) so I'll admit my own bias there.

If the Niners fans are right, Smith's YPA and Completion % are high because he refuses to throw the ball unless his receiver is wide open. He takes a lot of sacks instead of throwing the ball away. On the surface, that sounds smart but he kills a lot of drives, which you can see on the poor 3rd down conversion stats that the 49ers have had under Smith, even under Harbaugh.

-King- 03-07-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

I disagree.

The 49ers were 25th and 31st in the league on 3rd down the past 2 years.

opposition 03-07-2013 03:25 PM

So what do you guys suggest you do?

RunKC 03-07-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9474225)
:spock: Alex Smith has played in a total of 2 playoff games and won 1 in his 8 year career. Dalton has played in 2 in the first 2 years of his career.

Yeah, very good comparison. Nice job.

6 TD's, 0 INT's and a 300 yard performance compared to Andy Dalton struggling to get any points.

I'd say that makes Smith the better QB come playoff time.

Nightfyre 03-07-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9474230)
No, because to some people on this forum, every season is the same.

I honestly cant understand it. The chiefs qbs turned the ball over 37 times last year. That number will be cut by at least 20 next year, meaning the defense will spend less time on the field, the offense will spend more. Therefore the defense will play better, the offense will play better from the standpoint that instead of a drive ending in a turnover, it will end in a kick, one way or the other.

The offense won't spend more time on the field if we are 1/12 on third down conversions. Hell, a three and out is just as bad as a turnover from where I'm sitting.

SAUTO 03-07-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474239)
So what do you guys suggest you do?

draft geno smith.

then we can get rid of you ****ers too

Chiefnj2 03-07-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

I disagree.

If he put himself in good 3rd down situations why do the 49ers have poor 3rd down conversion %'s.

opposition 03-07-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474234)
If the Niners fans are right, Smith's YPA and Completion % are high because he refuses to throw the ball unless his receiver is wide open. He takes a lot of sacks instead of throwing the ball away. On the surface, that sounds smart but he kills a lot of drives, which you can see on the poor 3rd down conversion stats that the 49ers have had under Smith, even under Harbaugh.

Nope he refuses to throw the long ball because he knows exactly where he wants to go with the ball in his pre-snap reads. This is what seperates Alex from other QB's. His ability to make adjustments at the line(something Nolan or Singletarty never let him do). IMO this is what makes him so successful. Only throwing 25 times a game, you don't get a lot of chances so Alex takes what the defense gives him. Statistically Alex is up there with the best as far as long ball percentages, he would rather take a 100% open guy, rather than risk a 50/50 long ball.

opposition 03-07-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9474244)
draft geno smith.

then we can get rid of you ****ers too

And what will that fix? Will you suddenly be a playoff team because of Geno Smith?

Beeker 03-07-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474252)
And what will that fix? Will you suddenly be a playoff team because of Geno Smith?

Nope. If they drafted Geno EJ Barkley, they'd still be 2-14 or 3-13. But they'd be happy they drafted a QB #1 overall!!!!

Frosty 03-07-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474250)
Nope he refuses to throw the long ball because he knows exactly where he wants to go with the ball in his pre-snap reads. This is what seperates Alex from other QB's. His ability to make adjustments at the line(something Nolan or Singletarty never let him do). IMO this is what makes him so successful. Only throwing 25 times a game, you don't get a lot of chances so Alex takes what the defense gives him. Statistically Alex is up there with the best as far as long ball percentages, he would rather take a 100% open guy, rather than risk a 50/50 long ball.

Game manager

Frosty 03-07-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 9474255)
Nope. If they drafted Geno EJ Barkley, they'd still be 2-14 or 3-13. But they'd be happy they drafted a QB #1 overall!!!!

Some of us want to try to swing for the fences, even if it means striking out, rather than constantly bunting.

SAUTO 03-07-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

probably not this year.

but we wold have a better shot in future seasons than with alex ****ing smith

-King- 03-07-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Nope. But we're not a playoff team now because of Alex Smith either.

SAUTO 03-07-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 9474255)

you could play qb for us this year and we would have a better record than that

opposition 03-07-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474257)
Game manager

Yup. Probably one of the better in the league at just doing that. Didn't realize a QB's job was to not be a game manager? Isn't that a QB's job?

But anything to hate on the guy. Calling a QB game manager when that's what a QB supposed to do. Manage your team to victories. You don't hear other QB's being called game manager because they don't "manage" their teams to victory. You hear Alex called a game manager, because he does manage his team to victory.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474234)

And that's certainly something to keep an eye on; it's probably my biggest worry with him.

That said, his sack% didn't go up substantially until Harbaugh took over. He was pretty reliable about getting rid of the football in 2009 and 2010. In fact, it was almost identical to Kaepernicks.

But yeah, it's been unacceptably high over the last 2 seasons and that's a completely fair criticism. Over a 500 pass season, the difference between a 7% clip (reasonable) and a 9% clip is going to be 10 sacks, which is certainly not insignificant. I don't think it's quite as glaring as the folks in SF would make it sound (afterall, that's not even 1 sack/gm over an average QB), but it does make you take some pause.

But I don't think it's something that is ingrained into him; he started doing it when Harbaugh arrived. If it was seemingly coached in, then I don't see why it can't be coached out.

DaneMcCloud 03-07-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9474260)
probably not this year.

but we wold have a better shot in future seasons than with alex ****ing smith

This is complete speculation

SAUTO 03-07-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9474270)
This is complete speculation

ill admit that.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9474245)
If he put himself in good 3rd down situations why do the 49ers have poor 3rd down conversion %'s.

Well the sacks is a start. He's also not a great high leverage passer because he's not a guy that has 100% of the field available to him (though Dalton wouldn't be either without Green).

I'm just speculating now, but how many 3rd downs did the 49er face respective to the rest of the league? An alternative thought would be that a guy that is a very high efficiency passer is going to do a fair amount of damage on 1st and 2nd downs, making 3rd down less common on a 'good' drive. Whereas on his bad drives, his 3rd downs are going to be fairly shitty situations; perhaps based in large part on the higher sack%.

That I truly don't know. From there you're trying to extrapolate statistics to a predict the future and when you have a guy going to a completely different system (or comparing them to a guy coming from a completely different system), I don't think you're doing much good.

Instead, you just have to look at skill sets. From a raw skill set perspective - I just don't see enough room to slip a business card between these two guys.

They will make your football team exactly what it is - no better, no worse. Is that the ideal situation? No, I don't think it is at all, but it sure looks to me like the good ship Geno has sailed.

Frosty 03-07-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474268)
And that's certainly something to keep an eye on; it's probably my biggest worry with him.

That said, his sack% didn't go up substantially until Harbaugh took over. He was pretty reliable about getting rid of the football in 2009 and 2010. In fact, it was almost identical to Kaepernicks.

But yeah, it's been unacceptably high over the last 2 seasons and that's a completely fair criticism. Over a 500 pass season, the difference between a 7% clip (reasonable) and a 9% clip is going to be 10 sacks, which is certainly not insignificant. I don't think it's quite as glaring as the folks in SF would make it sound (afterall, that's not even 1 sack/gm over an average QB), but it does make you take some pause.

But I don't think it's something that is ingrained into him; he started doing it when Harbaugh arrived. If it was seemingly coached in, then I don't see why it can't be coached out.

Someone posted an article (PFF maybe?)earlier that said under Harbaugh, Smith took a sack on 1 out of 3 pressures, which was worst in the league by far.

I don't watch the 49ers enough to know this: if no one is open enough for Smith, does he try to run it? That wouldn't show up as a sack or incompletion but a 1 yard run on 3rd and 6 would stop a drive just as effectively.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474257)
Game manager

Of course he is.

But he's a game manager in the actual sense of the term, not the euphemism tagged to shitty quarterbacks over the last 5 years.

The NFL talking heads have spent 1/2 a decade propping up lousy quarterbacks on national telecasts by calling them "game managers" when that's simply not the case. Matt Cassel was never a game manager - he was a dogshit quarterback. Matt Schaub is a game manager. Sam Bradford is a game manager.

And yeah, Alex Smith is a game manager.

It's better than being a shitty quarterback.

opposition 03-07-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474277)
Someone posted an article (PFF maybe?)earlier that said under Harbaugh, Smith took a sack on 1 out of 3 pressures, which was worst in the league by far.

I don't watch the 49ers enough to know this: if no one is open enough for Smith, does he try to run it? That wouldn't show up as a sack or incompletion but a 1 yard run on 3rd and 6 would stop a drive just as effectively.

Alex Smith has the highest rating against pressure in the entire NFL if I'm not mistaken.

Beeker 03-07-2013 03:44 PM

Chiefs release Eric Winston, confuse Branden Albert

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...draft/1969591/

"With the 1st selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Luke Joeckel, Tackle ...."

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474277)

From what I've seen, yes he does. He doesn't do the Cassel turtle, he does try to scramble free of pressure. Honestly, the sack numbers surprised me for that very reason.

I wonder if Smith hasn't been feeling his oats a little and trying to take advantage of his athleticism (only to be pulled down before breaking the LOS) rather than just chucking it away.

Like I said, it just showed up after 5 years in the league - that sure suggests a recently learned behavior. If it was learned, it can be unlearned.

Frosty 03-07-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474275)
I'm just speculating now, but how many 3rd downs did the 49er face respective to the rest of the league?

I don't have the exact stats right now but the number of 3rd down attempts in 2011 was within a handful (<10) between the Chiefs and 49ers (around 225, iirc). The Chiefs were 18th in 3rd down conversion % and the 49ers were 31st.

-King- 03-07-2013 03:46 PM

God the leash is short. Getting instructed to take sacks..

Quote:

Since the start of the 2011 season, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has thrown the fewest interceptions in the NFL (5) and taken the most sacks (51).

In the minds of the 49ers’ coaching staff, those numbers explain why Smith ranks second among NFL quarterbacks in wins (15) during that span.

Today, offensive coordinator Greg Roman echoed what Smith said Wednesday – there are worse things than sacks. And the worst alternative is a turnover, which is to be avoided at all costs.

It’s clear Smith has been instructed to err on the side of caution when he’s under pressure, which helps explain all those sacks … and Smith’s streak of 216 straight regular-season passes without an interception.

Roman referred to statistics that detail how sacks will typically kill drives, but don’t have a strong correlation to wins and losses. Turnovers on the other hand …

“One thing you’ve got to consider is what’s your ultimate goal?’ Roman said. “If you’re ultimate goal is to keep you stats low in sacks, then he needs to get rid of the ball. Our ultimate goal is to win games … You don’t lose games because you get sacked, generally. You lose games by turning the ball over and not scoring enough points.”

Said Smith: “I think there is some give and take with not just forcing balls and getting rid of a ball. And a sack’s not the end of the world. Sometimes the best thing is to protect it in the pocket and take a sack.”

Smith said he’s tried to emulate Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who routinely tries to make plays with his feet when pressured rather than throwing downfield. Rodgers’ numbers are startlingly similar to Smith’s in two categories. Since the start of the 2011 season, Rodgers ranks second in the NFL in interceptions (8) and has taken 44 sacks, the four-most in the league.

“The guy I’ve watched a lot of film on, you watch Aaron play, a guy that takes a lot of sacks, but he also makes a lot plays with his feet, keeps plays alive,” Smith said. “There is some give and take there I think.”

** Of course, taking sacks in an effort to avoid turnovers is also an excellent way to get the starting quarterback injured.

Smith has made 21 straight starts, the second-longest streak of his career, despite taking 60 sacks in those games. He also has lost just three fumbles during that span.

Roman said the 49ers’ quarterbacks are instructed on how to take a sack. At least, those sacks they can see coming.

“I think that gets covered, in terms of how to handle the ball and how to protect yourself as best you can,” Roman said. “… We really emphasize ball security at every position.”
blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/20/attention-alex-when-in-doubt-take-a-sack/

Frosty 03-07-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474279)
It's better than being a shitty quarterback.

True. He'll be better than Cassel. I was just hoping for better than "not shitty" at QB this year.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474284)
I don't have the exact stats right now but the number of 3rd down attempts in 2011 was within a handful (<10) between the Chiefs and 49ers (around 225, iirc). The Chiefs were 18th in 3rd down conversion % and the 49ers were 31st.

Ha...okay, I have no clue what the hell to take from that.

The Chiefs got the worst QB play in the league and were only slightly below average in 3rd down%, so that at least suggests that maybe your QB play isn't a great indicator of success on 3rd downs.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474291)
True. He'll be better than Cassel. I was just hoping for better than "not shitty" at QB this year.

Me to.

But like I said, the Geno's not walking through that door. I hate it, but it is what it is.

So let's discuss what we will have for a bit. What we will have really isn't half as bad as some folks are making him out to be.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 03:49 PM

so Andy Reid is going to let this guy come in here and just magically start slinging it 30-40 times a game in Andys offense, a guy that is coming from a team that told him to basically take the sack because his crappy noodle arm and gun shy ability to fit it in a window ends up in turnovers.

oh, joy, that's not a recipe for disaster or anything

RunKC 03-07-2013 03:49 PM

Alex Smith is capable of putting up 25 TD's.

The guy is going to be better in KC. We're going to air it out way more than he ever did in San Francisco.

DaneMcCloud 03-07-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9474294)
Me to.

But like I said, the Geno's not walking through that door. I hate it, but it is what it is.

So let's discuss what we will have for a bit. What we will have really isn't half as bad as some folks are making him out to be.

And I'll be absolutely shocked if Alex Smith doesn't improve under Andy Reid.

While Harbaugh is certainly a very good head coach, he and Greg Roman aren't exactly offensive "wizards" with decades long track record of developing and/or making average QB's appear to be well above average.

All of this "gloom and doom" and Smith=Cassel is complete and utter garbage.

ChiefsCountry 03-07-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9474299)
The guy is going to be better in KC. We're going to air it out way more than he ever did in San Francisco.

And when SF made him air out, they lost. Brillant move then.

RunKC 03-07-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474298)
so Andy Reid is going to let this guy come in here and just magically start slinging it 30-40 times a game in Andys offense, a guy that is coming from a team that told him to basically take the sack because his crappy noodle arm and gun shy ability to fit it in a window ends up in turnovers.

You do know He's only thrown like 12 INT's in his last 26 games right?

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9474289)
God the leash is short. Getting instructed to take sacks..

blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/20/attention-alex-when-in-doubt-take-a-sack/

So I guess that kinda answers that question....

Yes, Smith is taking sacks because he's trying to make plays with his legs instead of throwing interceptions.

Why do we think that's a bad thing again?

ChiefsCountry 03-07-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9474300)
While Harbaugh is certainly a very good head coach, he and Greg Roman aren't exactly offensive "wizards" with decades long track record of developing and/or making average QB's appear to be well above average.

Andy Reid isn't much better, his stats without McNabb and Favre are horrible.

opposition 03-07-2013 03:52 PM

If you look at the 3rd down stats as well those aren't only the QB's stats. 49ers often, very often, ran on third downs as well. Did it with Kaep as well. 49ers short yardage situations were horrible all year.

So it's pretty unfair to base a QB on 3rd down percentage when he hands the ball off.

RunKC 03-07-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9474303)
And when SF made him air out, they lost. Brillant move then.

Actually that won them a playoff game.

Against the Saints in the playoffs, Smith threw the ball 42 times and scored 3 TD's while putting 300 yards on the board.

KurtCobain 03-07-2013 03:54 PM

And boom goes the alexmite.

ChiefsCountry 03-07-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9474311)

Against the Saints in the playoffs, Smith threw the ball 42 times and scored 3 TD's while putting 300 yards on the board.

And he was 3-13 the other 16 times they asked him to do it.

fjrider 03-07-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474298)

38 checkdowns and 2 interceptions. Andy Reid's new secret weapon offense.

BigCatDaddy 03-07-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9474311)

Against the Saints.......

That's like bragging about holding the Chiefs offense down last year.

RunKC 03-07-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9474316)
And he was 3-13 the other 16 times they asked him to do it.

When were these games? What team? What coach?

That tends to make a big difference.

opposition 03-07-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9474321)

So Alex beats the offense with the most passing yards ever in regular season, and that's nothing to you? Alex outplayed Drew Brees in the playoffs and that's a bad thing?

BigCatDaddy 03-07-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9474327)
When were these games? What team? What coach?

That tends to make a big difference.

Probably not one of the worst D's in the NFL like the Saints.

BigCatDaddy 03-07-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474329)
So Alex beats the offense with the most passing yards ever in regular season, and that's nothing to you? Alex outplayed Drew Brees in the playoffs and that's a bad thing?

Yes, it's nothing. Brees was playing the best defense in football, Smith was playing the worst. Unlike you. I have some common sense.

Frosty 03-07-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9474321)

Yep. The Saints were a year removed from losing to a 7-9 Seattle team in the play-offs. Their defense hasn't been very good for a while now.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:04 PM

Alex Smith vs Saints his WR's
Crabtree #1
Brett Swain(didn't even get picked up this year) #2
Joe Hastings/Tedd Ginn(one doesn't play, other is not a good WR in the least) #3

BigCatDaddy 03-07-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474345)
Alex Smith vs Saints his WR's
Crabtree #1
Brett Swain(didn't even get picked up this year) #2
Joe Hastings/Tedd Ginn(one doesn't play, other is not a good WR in the least) #3

Vernon Davis play in that game, or are we cherry picking?

That's like saying all Trent Green had was Eddie Kennison and Johnny Morton.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9474347)

Is VD a WR? 7 catches 180 yards.

ChiefsCountry 03-07-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9474347)

Yep put up 180 yards and 2 touchdowns. 60% of Alex Smith's passing yards went to Davis.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9474351)
Yep put up 180 yards and 2 touchdowns. 60% of Alex Smith's passing yards went to Davis.

Thus having a #2 receiver who doesn't even play in the league because he's that bad. Brett Swain started for us.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9474304)
You do know He's only thrown like 12 INT's in his last 26 games right?

because they told him/trained him to stop forcing passes into picks and start taking 47485202824040234820 sacks

essentially "stop trying to make play, you arent a playmaker, you are what you are"

TheUte 03-07-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9474339)
Yep. The Saints were a year removed from losing to a 7-9 Seattle team in the play-offs. Their defense hasn't been very good for a while now.

Yup, Cause you don't have to beat who ever is in front of you. You need to beat someone else.

And the best D in the league gave up how many 4-QRT TD's.

AS had 2 4-QRT scoring drives that put his team in the lead, going the length of field.

Sorry, I will take AS any time when the game is on the line, I watched him his entire career.

I think he is a late bloomer and He is going to be really good in KC.

That said, the Chiefs should draft Geno let him sit a couple of years and learn. Don't just throw him into the fire, I firmly believe that is why AS had such a ruff start, JFC what where you doing at 20.

What wrong with that.

BigCatDaddy 03-07-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474350)
Is VD a WR? 7 catches 180 yards.

No. But you were pretending like Smith didn't have shit to throw to by not including the TE. Take that shit elswhere, it won't fly here.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474356)
because they told him/trained him to stop forcing passes into picks and start taking 47485202824040234820 sacks

When Alex was benched for Kaep he had like 12 more sacks but like 60 less yards lost compared to Elites like Rodgers and Brees. Which hurt more? Losing 10-20 yards, or 3 on a sack?

DJ's left nut 03-07-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9474300)
And I'll be absolutely shocked if Alex Smith doesn't improve under Andy Reid.

All of this "gloom and doom" and Smith=Cassel is complete and utter garbage.

I dare not even suggest the possibility that perhaps Harbaugh is merely a good QB guy.

The thought has crossed my mind that Reid is every bit as capable of coaxing strong play out of QBs as Reid is, but my God, the backlash I'd get for that...

If Reid is even a reasonable facsimile of Harbaugh, and that seems like a conservative guess, there's no reason to expect this massive regression. Alex Smith can be a nice QB for us.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 04:14 PM

14 completions that game went to Vernon Davis and Frank Gore

so at least ten of those were "1st read covered I cant make that pass so Im going to check it down to my security blanket or take a sack"

opposition 03-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9474358)
No. But you were pretending like Smith didn't have shit to throw to by not including the TE. Take that shit elswhere, it won't fly here.

Did he though? Who else did he have besides VD? Crabtree was getting double teamed all game, and 49ers had no one else to go to. Why did the 49ers add so many WR's last year?

-King- 03-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474359)
When Alex was benched for Kaep he had like 12 more sacks but like 60 less yards lost compared to Elites like Rodgers and Brees.

No he didn't.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474365)
14 completions that game went to Vernon Davis and Frank Gore

so at least ten of those were "1st read covered I cant make that pass so Im going to check it down to my security blanket or take a sack"

Brees threw 15 to Sproles alone.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474370)
Brees threw 15 to Sproles alone.

Brees also threw for DOUBLE the yards lol and actually throws to his FIRST READ WR 12 ****ing times and Colston caught it for 9-136 with an average 15 yards a catch and a longest of 30.

meanwhile in checkdown land aka Im afraid to throw it in a tight window/covered WR, Michael Crabtree catches 4-25, out of 11 targets for a LONGEST OF 9 ****ing yards.

im so excited for the King of Dink and Checkdown take a Sack dunk to be the Chiefs QB.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:20 PM

Alex Smith

3rd and 8-10- 12/15
3rd and 11+- 8/10

3rd and 6+ was 72%

TheUte 03-07-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474381)
Brees also threw for DOUBLE the yards lol and actually throws to his FIRST READ WR 12 ****ing times and Colston caught it for 9-136 with an average 15 yards a catch and a longest of 30.

meanwhile in checkdown land aka Im afraid to throw it in a tight window/covered WR, Michael Crabtree catches 4-25, out of 11 targets for a LONGEST OF 9 ****ing yards.

im so excited for the King of Dink and Checkdown take a Sack dunk to be the Chiefs QB.

Good, You should be.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474381)

Alex threw 20 times less but had a TE for more yards? Hmmm....

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-07-2013 04:21 PM

Newsflash: this trade still sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22 03-07-2013 04:22 PM

yea cool he can throw a hook pattern to Vernon Davis or a flat to Frank Gore and hope their playmaking ability gets him more yards than what he actually threw it for. congrats

mcaj22 03-07-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9474386)
Alex threw 20 times less but had a TE for more yards? Hmmm....

yea because Alex Smith relies on the TE.

opposition 03-07-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9474388)
yea cool he can throw a hook pattern to Vernon Davis or a flat to Frank Gore and hope their playmaking ability gets him more yards than what he actually threw it for. congrats

Never seen a single Qb in the entire NFL ever do that, only Alex... It's called YAC in case you didn't know and it's been part of the NFL for many many years.