ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If the Chiefs go 8-8 or better 49ers get a 2nd round pick. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272817)

Sorter 05-07-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9665708)
I think Cassels just about done adding to his.

Sadly, some Minny fans hope that isn't the case.

Yikes.

splatbass 05-07-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9664461)
You all can't be serious with the argument being "he's a backup".

Exactly, that is a disingenuous argument. He could be a starter on a lot of NFL teams. He was a backup for the last half season because of the circumstances in SF. That doesn't in any way mean he is not a starter quality QB in the NFL.

Messier 05-07-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9665715)
You're right. Cassel has done more in less starts.

What'd he do?

Spott 05-07-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9664894)
Go **** yourself and die in a fire. If following this team for 44 years and seeing them take the same ****ing approach for 30 ****ing years is quitting on them, you can kiss my ass. Get the **** out of here.
Alex Smith is just the fourth ****ing 9ers reject to get shipped to the Chiefs.

I agree with your post, but Alex Smith is actually the 5th 49er reject to come here.

DaneMcCloud 05-07-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9665733)
I agree with your post, but Alex Smith is actually the 5th 49er reject to come here.

Montana, Bono and Smith were traded. Grbac was signed in free agency.

Who's the fifth?

Spott 05-07-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9665742)
Montana, Bono and Smith were traded. Grbac was signed in free agency.

Who's the fifth?

Steve Deberg, although he was with the Buc's before the Chiefs.

Messier 05-07-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9665754)
Steve Deberg.

He played in SF, but came from Tampa, I believe.

DaneMcCloud 05-07-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9665754)
Steve Deberg.

DeBerg played for SF, Denver and Tampa Bay before landing in KC twelve years after his career began.

He wasn't acquired to run the West Coast offense created by Bill Walsh and run by Paul Hackett or Andy Reid.

I don't think he counts.

Hootie 05-07-2013 05:48 PM

anyone that uses Alex Smith's first few years in the NFL to debate whether or not he is like Matt Cassel is just a ****ing complete idiot.

Spott 05-07-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9665767)
That's lame.

DeBerg played for SF, Denver and Tampa Bay before landing in KC twelve years after his career began.

He wasn't acquired to run the West Coast offense created by Bill Walsh and run by Paul Hackett or Andy Reid.

Again, lame.

Yeah, because being a backup for the Bucs last makes it any better. He was still a backup in SF for 4 years.

JohnnyV13 05-07-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9665767)

I don't think he counts.

He did play in it though. Walsh implemented in WCO with DeBerg.

Hootie 05-07-2013 05:50 PM

Alex Smith in 2011 and 2012 proved he was more comparable to a Matt Hasselbeck in his prime than anyone else.

Matt Cassel, even in his "good" year in 2010, was still negatively rated by PFF.

Alex Smith was the 8th best QB in 2011 on PFF. He was on pace to hit his exact same points production in 2012 before his concussion.

Again, the people comparing Cassel and Smith and concluding they are comparable are just complete, total idiots. So if you think that, and you're reading this, you're a ****ing moron. Sucks to be you.

DaneMcCloud 05-07-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9665779)
Yeah, because being a backup for the Bucs last makes it any better. He was still a backup in SF for 4 years.

You're being obtuse.

The Chiefs didn't sign Steve DeBerg to start and run the WCO. They signed him because all they had at the time was Bill Kenny. Also, Marty didn't like him, either, and acquired Steve freaking Peuller and Dave Krieg in an attempt to upgrade the position (which of course, failed).

This is completely different than trading a #1 for Montana, a 7 for Bono, signing Elvis Grbac and trading for Alex Smith.

Although JFC, once I typed that out, it sure does look pathetic.

-King- 05-07-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9665775)
anyone that uses Alex Smith's first few years in the NFL to debate whether or not he is like Matt Cassel is just a ****ing complete idiot.

Anyone who uses Cassels 2 years with Crennel, Bill Muir and Brian Daboll to debate is a ****ing complete idiot.

If we can't use Alex Smith's early seasons because he had incompetent coaching, then we can't use Cassel's late seasons either.

Hammock Parties 05-07-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9665791)
Again, the people comparing Cassel and Smith and concluding they are comparable are just complete, total idiots.

Not really, because they have comparable styles of play.

Both like to throw a lot of short passes.

Both have horrible pocket presence and take a lot of sacks.

Both have underwhelming physical talent.

To ignore these similarities is obtuse.

The main difference is that the last two seasons Alex Smith played on much, much better teams and received better coaching.