ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign Jawaan Taylor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347961)

tredadda 03-14-2023 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16853749)
Realistically all Taylor has to do is play solid here. Brown kinda struggled much of his time here the offense was still high flying

Yup, we don't need a Roaf with our HC and QB. We just can't afford to have SB 55 Remmers over there either.

BigRedChief 03-14-2023 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 16854003)
“You can afford to pay a Taylor 20m to play RT and league premium to Thuney if you have creed, Trey and a LT on rookie contracts.”

As it should be according to the Veach model to compete for a SB every year...

Elite QB
Great O-Line to protect the Elite QB
JAG WR & RB's
Solid defense

Sofa King 03-14-2023 08:02 AM

I hope they draft a LT in the first and keep this guy at the RT position. Taylor does not affect Creed and Smith with their contracts in the few years due to how this contract is set up. And Thuney will be gone by then as well.

BWillie 03-14-2023 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 16854145)
I hope they draft a LT in the first and keep this guy at the RT position. Taylor does not affect Creed and Smith with their contracts in the few years due to how this contract is set up. And Thuney will be gone by then as well.

I dont see any need to retain Creed. They didnt pay Morse either. Its a ducking center. The least important position in the offense.

Couch-Potato 03-14-2023 08:12 AM

ESPN Does NOT like this signing

Chiefs to sign OT Jawaan Taylor
The deal: Four years, $80 million ($60 million guaranteed)

Grade: C-

Taylor is an adequate pass-blocking right tackle, but this contract severely overstates his ability. His 89% pass block win rate for Jacksonville last season ranked 37th out of 64 qualifying tackles last season, and his 69% run block win rate was sixth-worst among tackles. Our numbers are not alone: Pro Football Focus had Taylor as above average in pass protection and last in run blocking. That's two different evaluation methods coming to the same conclusion -- that Taylor is far from an elite tackle. Plus, Trevor Lawrence's strong sack avoidance -- a strength for Patrick Mahomes, too -- likely artificially makes the Jaguars' offensive line look better than it is.

This deal is expensive enough that we probably can assume Kansas City won't bring back left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. It remains to be seen what Brown will receive on the open market, but I would much rather pay him than Taylor. This also means the Chiefs have splashed out for Taylor and still need a left tackle, or that they'll put Taylor on the left side, where he has not played in the NFL.

I get that protecting Mahomes is absolutely critical for the Chiefs. And if there were no other options on the market, I'd understand. But there are! Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor or even an Andrew Wylie return would all be palatable for significantly less cost. And the cost is important, because the Chiefs have other needs to fill.

One positive is that Taylor is just 25 years old and is a 2019 early second-round pick, so there is a possibility he could improve. -- Walder

What this means for the 2023 NFL draft: It's still unclear whether Taylor will stay on the right side or move to left tackle, but regardless, Kansas City has a hole at tackle that could be filled in the draft. Luckily, this class is deep in the top 50. With 10 total picks -- including No. 31 overall -- Dawand Jones (Ohio State) is one name who makes a lot of sense, if he makes it to the end of Round 1. -- Reid

AdolfOliverBush 03-14-2023 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 16854163)

Also ESPN, prior to last season: "The Chiefs may not make the playoffs, let alone win the AFC West."

rfaulk34 03-14-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Taylor is an adequate pass-blocking right tackle, but this contract severely overstates his ability. His 89% pass block win rate for Jacksonville last season ranked 37th out of 64 qualifying tackles last season, and his 69% run block win rate was sixth-worst among tackles. Our numbers are not alone: Pro Football Focus had Taylor as above average in pass protection and last in run blocking. That's two different evaluation methods coming to the same conclusion -- that Taylor is far from an elite tackle. Plus, Trevor Lawrence's strong sack avoidance -- a strength for Patrick Mahomes, too -- likely artificially makes the Jaguars' offensive line look better than it is.

This deal is expensive enough that we probably can assume Kansas City won't bring back left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. It remains to be seen what Brown will receive on the open market, but I would much rather pay him than Taylor. This also means the Chiefs have splashed out for Taylor and still need a left tackle, or that they'll put Taylor on the left side, where he has not played in the NFL.

I get that protecting Mahomes is absolutely critical for the Chiefs. And if there were no other options on the market, I'd understand. But there are! Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor or even an Andrew Wylie return would all be palatable for significantly less cost. And the cost is important, because the Chiefs have other needs to fill.

One positive is that Taylor is just 25 years old and is a 2019 early second-round pick, so there is a possibility he could improve. -- Walder

What this means for the 2023 NFL draft: It's still unclear whether Taylor will stay on the right side or move to left tackle, but regardless, Kansas City has a hole at tackle that could be filled in the draft. Luckily, this class is deep in the top 50. With 10 total picks -- including No. 31 overall -- Dawand Jones (Ohio State) is one name who makes a lot of sense, if he makes it to the end of Round 1. -- Reid

lol. PLEASE draft Dawand Jones to play RT. Pleeeaaaaaassseeeeeee.

staylor26 03-14-2023 08:21 AM

Quote:

Absolutely ****ing reeruned take.

The Franchise 03-14-2023 08:27 AM

Taylor is your LT. Just ****ing accept it. They didn’t break the ceiling on RT contracts.

Bwana 03-14-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16854168)
Also ESPN, prior to last season: "The Chiefs may not make the playoffs, let alone win the AFC West."

Exactly LMAO
ESPN is a joke. No one should take that rat soup, Mickey Mouse, fly by night outfit seriously.

Shields68 03-14-2023 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16854139)
As it should be according to the Veach model to compete for a SB every year...

Elite QB
Great O-Line to protect the Elite QB
JAG WR & RB's
Solid defense

The above works as long as you have an All Pro TE as a Wr. as well. Things above may be altered when you lose a Kelce or Gronk.

Couch-Potato 03-14-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfaulk34 (Post 16854172)
lol. PLEASE draft Dawand Jones to play RT. Pleeeaaaaaassseeeeeee.

I like Dawand Jones but I'm not sure that makes any sense... to let OBJ go and then nab a similar player? I guess we saved some money, but I'm not sure I love the projection.

Shields68 03-14-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 16853932)
People say all the time not to fault the player for contract demands, but in this case, OBJ was the greedy bitch, not the team.

His n00b agent fully acknowledged the figures being used in the deal put him at the top of all tackles and turned it down because there wasn’t enough guaranteed and too much funny business for the team being able to get out of the deal.

Bitch, just play like the best and none of that shit ****ing matters. The team isn’t going to get rid of you, and you can re-negotiate any back end of a deal on your terms.

Foxtail ****er doesn’t deserve to be on this team. He deserves some sad **** ass Bears team or whatever.

Enjoy the rest of your career, Orlando. Your dead father is sad he didn’t get to watch his son be an NFL legend from heaven. And now you probably won’t even get the money you were seeking last year.

“I’m not a right tackle!” But you ARE a ****ing dumbass.

The part about the lack of guarantee would be a crucial piece. I always thought that with Brown there is a fine line for him being a top tackle and not a little out of shape and a little slow. I could see him getting his bank and not putting in the work in the off season, as an agent the guarantee is probably very important piece to any contract.

New World Order 03-14-2023 08:52 AM

Taylor is an above average pass blocker.

Why do we care about anything else.

RealSNR 03-14-2023 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 16854216)
The part about the lack of guarantee would be a crucial piece. I always thought that with Brown there is a fine line for him being a top tackle and not a little out of shape and a little slow. I could see him getting his bank and not putting in the work in the off season, as an agent the guarantee is probably very important piece to any contract.

There was plenty of guaranteed money in accordance with the market at the time.

Again, that's fine if you're there to do a job, get paid, and go home at the end of the day. Just do it for a shitty franchise like the Bears, not us.