ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270480)

Bearcat 09-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9984243)
Isnt the object to win games?

I have never been as you said overly confident in Alex Smiths ability to put up tons of yards, I also realize that typically his teams don't score the most points in the league. And in a pass first league, it defies logic. I understand it. But, there were people here who said that him with Andy Reid away from the SF Run game Defense, and Coach Harbaugh that it wouldn't work.

I don't even understand how its working.

I thought the defense would be better just for the fact that it was pretty talented on paper, and that the offense not turning the ball over all the time would help.

I thought that Charles would be more effective, but in reality, there has been no running game, and the offense has been able to score enough, combined with timely defensive turnovers and stops to keep winning.

Im not gloating. It just is what it is. Some how, some way, Alex Smith has made a habit the past three years of doing just enough to win.

Is he going to lose? Sure, if the Chiefs fall behind big, I don't know how they will get back into it.

I know that Alex Smith isn't elite. The guys just keeps winning though. Its weird.......

In theory, I don't care how they win, but it's pretty obvious the NFL has created a league that's all about the quarterback. Baltimore and SF both averaged 30ppg last postseason. Sure, you might not need that kind of offense 13/16 games in the regular season, but it's pretty damn important in the postseason when you're up against Rodgers, Brady, Manning, etc*.

It's not a huge surprise Smith has been winning (certainly not the past two weeks)... it's the nature of the league. It's top heavy with only so many elite QBs/teams, so a good team with an efficient QB can win a lot of games against mediocre and bad competition, and can even rise up to upset a few teams. But, the overwhelming evidence is that you need someone who's more than serviceable to be a legit threat in the playoffs.

As far as the Chiefs specifically, the game plan kind of sucked yesterday, but I can only assume they'll work on getting JC more touches... if it's rushing, as a wideout as they did a few times yesterday, screens, etc. The glaring item at this point is the offensive line. Defensively, it was pretty much Dez Bryant making them look bad. I used to be pretty bad at jumping to conclusions early on, so I've kind of programmed myself towards the other extreme... the popular thing in the past few seasons is people say coaches evaluate by quarter, and I think that's a pretty good time to review, since they'll have played a couple more interesting matchups by then.

*Of course, anyone can poke holes in this with exceptions, but it is the obvious trend over the past several years.

ChiefsCountry 09-16-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9984353)
In theory, I don't care how they win, but it's pretty obvious the NFL has created a league that's all about the quarterback. Baltimore and SF both averaged 30ppg last postseason. Sure, you might not need that kind of offense 13/16 games in the regular season, but it's pretty damn important in the postseason when you're up against Rodgers, Brady, Manning, etc*.

It's not a huge surprise Smith has been winning (certainly not the past two weeks)... it's the nature of the league. It's top heavy with only so many elite QBs/teams, so a good team with an efficient QB can win a lot of games against mediocre and bad competition, and can even rise up to upset a few teams. But, the overwhelming evidence is that you need someone who's more than serviceable to be a legit threat in the playoffs.

See 1990 to 1997 Kansas City Chiefs.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9984366)
See 1990 to 1997 Kansas City Chiefs.

LMAO

See *, and that was 15-20 years ago..... oh, and the only time they did anything in the playoffs was when they had Joe Montana.

1trend intransitive verb \ˈtrend\

Definition of TREND

a : to extend in a general direction
a : to show a tendency : incline <prices trending upward>

ChiefsCountry 09-16-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9984379)
LMAO

See *, and that was 15-20 years ago..... oh, and the only time they did anything in the playoffs was when they had Joe Montana.

1trend intransitive verb \ˈtrend\

Definition of TREND

a : to extend in a general direction
a : to show a tendency : incline <prices trending upward>

I was agreeing with you. Local example to prove you can have one hell of a team and the QB holds you back when it matters - playoffs.

Marcellus 09-16-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9984387)
I was agreeing with you. Local example to prove you can have one hell of a team and the QB holds you back when it matters - playoffs.

True if the QB has no ability to make the big play. I don't think Smith has shown that inability in recent years.

Oddly enough we had a QB on the roster in 1997 that could do that.

We then built a team that was heavy on offense and crap defense.

So no we haven't been doing the same thing over and over again.

People have also seemed to have forgotten they tried to develop Croyle, it just didn't work out.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-16-2013 02:27 PM

vvvvvDelusionalvvvvv

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9983950)
... and that is why the hate will always be.. and will continue to grow. Alex does this to the people... embarrasses their projections, and make them hate him all the more. That is why some SF fans have scurried over here to bash him. They were made to look humiliated on other forums, and still flail for any semblence of retribution. Bad Alex! Bad! :p

So basically, if we win, Alex is golden.

If we lose, Alex is still golden because no blame can ever be attached to him.

Got it.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9984387)

Heh, gotcha... sorry... the bar for intelligent conversation has been set so low in this thread... LMAO

Yes, a great QB can cover up a lot of warts... bad offensive line, bad run game, an entire defense. To cover up an average or bad QB, you have to be really good in several other areas... a truly elite defense, elite offensive line/RB/offensive scheme, etc.

ratchet 09-16-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9984503)
Heh, gotcha... sorry... the bar for intelligent conversation has been set so low in this thread... LMAO

Yes, a great QB can cover up a lot of warts... bad offensive line, bad run game, an entire defense. To cover up an average or bad QB, you have to be really good in several other areas... a truly elite defense, elite offensive line/RB/offensive scheme, etc.

I think it's a bit of both. Defense is playing lights out and alex doesn't have to be aaron rodgers yet, but look at where this team was last year...2 and effing 14. We just tied our season win total last year. We obviously don't have a great offensive line, our receivers are average at best, and charles can't get the run game going. Yet, we're winning. Alex is doing a bit of carrying the team as well. Wait a minute....that's right....it's a team game. EVERYONE should take partial responsibility for a win or loss. Qbs just have to take on a bigger portion

Sandy Vagina 09-16-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9984231)
...if you think the Chiefs can reach 9 or 10 wins with this kind of offensive output

If you think that kind of offense will work deep into the playoffs, and it happens, then you'll have a big reason to gloat.

Since you seem particularly obsessed with this topic, allow me to ask what no one seems willing to answer.

Why are so many acting as if this offense has maxed out? Hit their ceiling? Reached their top gear in week 2?

Does anyone REALLY believe that this is as good as this new KC offense will get? They must, because all I keep reading is..

"well, they will need more from this quarterback if they are going to play the good teams, and make noise in the playoffs"

So after working together thoughout these weeks, do people really think they won't gel better and be.. better? If so, then why even say such a thing as the italicized? other than to basically act unhappy that the team might actually be better than they thought, and that hurts their assessment ego.

Furthermore, this notion of a 2-14 team... suddenly becoming a 9 or 10 win team... and some people say what? "it's not enough, if they get bounced out of the playoffs in rd 1!"

For real? So it is all or nothing in one year from being the worst to the best?

WTF kind of spoiled entitlement is that???? :doh!:

BigBeauford 09-16-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9984669)
Since you seem particularly obsessed with this topic, allow me to ask what no one seems willing to answer.

Why are so many acting as if this offense has maxed out? Hit their ceiling? Reached their top gear in week 2?

Does anyone REALLY believe that this is as good as this new KC offense will get? They must, because all I keep reading is..

"well, they will need more from this quarterback if they are going to play the good teams, and make noise in the playoffs"

So after working together thoughout these weeks, do people really think they won't gel better and be.. better? If so, then why even say such a thing as the italicized? other than to basically act unhappy that the team might actually be better than they thought, and that hurts their assessment ego.

Furthermore, this notion of a 2-14 team... suddenly becoming a 9 or 10 win team... and some people say what? "it's not enough, if they get bounced out of the playoffs in rd 1!"

People are expecting that kind of output, because that is what the FO is selling. Rather than stake their claim with a fresh qb to be groomed, they made a statement by getting a veteran qb that they expect to win now.

Contrarian 09-16-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Bearcat 09-16-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

I've answered that question several times... it has little to do with the first two weeks. Alex Smith has been the same quarterback for 8 years. Two games isn't going to sway my opinion. If he does something to change my opinion when given the opportunity, great.

The main reason people are pointing it out is because it's pretty crazy to say the Chiefs have fixed their QB issue, it's a huge upgrade, etc; after 2 games. Again, it has little to do with the first two weeks or even the next 14... but, as far as my own opinion is concerned, there's 20 years of watching retread QBs, 20 years of seeing the same strategy regarding the QB position, and 8 years of Alex Smith stats backing up my opinion that he is who he is and he won't be the guy to lead the Chiefs deep into the playoffs. I don't care if I'm right or wrong... and obviously I hope I'm wrong. WTF would I have an ego about a football opinion? LOL.

It's not spoiled entitlement and no is complaining... again, we're just pointing out that after so many years of watching the same QB strategy fail, we're going to give it more than 2 weeks before we're sold... and again, there's a lot of proof out there that you need an elite QB to win in this league, and a lot of proof that Alex Smith is not that guy.

And if there is spoiled entitlement, I'd point to the hundreds of dollars, hours spent, etc; on a shitty product. There's so much talk these days about fan loyalty, and Chiefs fans will flock to Arrowhead at the mere thought of a competitive team... you don't think that kind of loyalty entitles fans to the best product possible? Bullshit. People have been spending thousands of dollars and what amounts to weeks and months of time over several years, just to have the wool pulled over their eyes every few years so they can keep spending money on a mediocre product. Screw that. I'm not getting excited over not being the most terrible team in the NFL, and I'm sure as hell not running out to buy tickets. So yeah, if they want $100+/game and hours of my day, the least they could do is wake the **** up and do what it takes to win some hardware in this league.

Sandy Vagina 09-16-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9984751)
I've answered that question several times... it has little to do with the first two weeks. Alex Smith has been the same quarterback for 8 years. Two games isn't going to sway my opinion. If he does something to change my opinion when given the opportunity, great.

So before we continue... do you put zero stock in a QB that has been developed into a consistent scheme for 6 years... with many of the same targets to throw to... VS the poor quarterback having to deal with a new system nearly every year of his developing years and then having to learn yet another with all new players around him. (and every damn offensive person learning something new)

... is there any wonder why the latter QB is not wowing you? Or his prior stats each new year not remarkably convincing for you?

Or are you that person that feels the QB should be able to dazzle no matter what the circumstances around him?

l4z4rd 09-16-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

The dude had 6 different offensive coordinators (each with different playbooks), 3 different head coaches, and a mediocre roster in his first 6 seasons. Hard to blame him for being labeled a bust. Since 2011, he has the second highest winning percentage behind Peyton.

NinerDoug 09-16-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

The main reason people are pointing it out is because it's pretty crazy to say the Chiefs have fixed their QB issue, it's a huge upgrade, etc; after 2 games. Again, it has little to do with the first two weeks or even the next 14... but, as far as my own opinion is concerned, there's 20 years of watching retread QBs, 20 years of seeing the same strategy regarding the QB position, and 8 years of Alex Smith stats backing up my opinion that he is who he is and he won't be the guy to lead the Chiefs deep into the playoffs. I don't care if I'm right or wrong... and obviously I hope I'm wrong. WTF would I have an ego about a football opinion? LOL.

It's not spoiled entitlement and no is complaining... again, we're just pointing out that after so many years of watching the same QB strategy fail, we're going to give it more than 2 weeks before we're sold... and again, there's a lot of proof out there that you need an elite QB to win in this league, and a lot of proof that Alex Smith is not that guy.

And if there is spoiled entitlement, I'd point to the hundreds of dollars, hours spent, etc; on a shitty product. There's so much talk these days about fan loyalty, and Chiefs fans will flock to Arrowhead at the mere thought of a competitive team... you don't think that kind of loyalty entitles fans to the best product possible? Bullshit. People have been spending thousands of dollars and what amounts to weeks and months of time over several years, just to have the wool pulled over their eyes every few years so they can keep spending money on a mediocre product. Screw that. I'm not getting excited over not being the most terrible team in the NFL, and I'm sure as hell not running out to buy tickets. So yeah, if they want $100+/game and hours of my day, the least they could do is wake the **** up and do what it takes to win some hardware in this league.

Alex Smith has actually not been the same quarterback for 8 years. He's been someone pretty different for the last two years.

He's not elite, and if you need an elite QB to win, as you say, then probably 26 or 27 teams out of 32 are not going to win. (Not sure how you define "win" either, SB?) There are a few "elite" QBs, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. If that's your standard, well, get in line, because 90% of the football fans in this country want the same thing.

Edit: Based on recent performance, I would put Russell Wilson in that category, and even CK7, despite the reaming last night. But still, there are just not enough "elite" QBs to go around. But some teams find a way to win, despite not having an elite QB: The G-Men, for example. (Sorry, but Eli is not elite, IMO).

Bearcat 09-16-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9984769)
So before we continue... do you put zero stock in a QB that has been developed into a consistent scheme for 6 years... with many of the same targets to throw to... VS the poor quarterback having to deal with a new system nearly every year of his developing years and then having to learn yet another with all new players around him. (and every damn offensive person learning something new)

... is there any wonder why the latter QB is not wowing you? Or his prior stats each new year not remarkably convincing for you?

Or are you that person that feels the QB should be able to dazzle no matter what the circumstances around him?

Of course it matters, there are countless variables. Again, I've watched the Chiefs and other teams go through retread QBs for years and my opinion is mostly from those years of observation. The rest comes from simply comparing Smith's stats to those other QBs.

One nice thing about Carl Peterson and Marty was stability, and shortly after Herm came along my first thought was "yeah, this guy isn't going to work," followed by "but, hopefully this doesn't start a trend of new HC/coordinators every few years. So, for the sake of everyone involved, hopefully this is a new era of stability... but, I don't know if Smith has that long to prove himself. He could be different, and he could improve above and beyond what the past 8 years have shown, and that would be great... but, once again, there's no proof to show he will, regardless of who's at fault.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9984828)
Alex Smith has actually not been the same quarterback for 8 years. He's been someone pretty different for the last two years.

He's not elite, and if you need an elite QB to win, as you say, then probably 26 or 27 teams out of 32 are not going to win. (Not sure how you define "win" either, SB?) There are a few "elite" QBs, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. If that's your standard, well, get in line, because 90% of the football fans in this country want the same thing.

And that's how it is now, right? There are probably ~6 teams a year that can win 11+ games, ~6 teams that can't win more than 5, and everyone else is mediocre.

First and foremost, I want the Chiefs to try, which they've done once in 40 years (through the draft, that is).

Jakemall 09-16-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9984769)

Alex has been the same QB for 8 years. LOL I don't know where to even begin on that one. It's too full of fail.

NinerDoug 09-16-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9984845)
And that's how it is now, right? There are probably ~6 teams a year that can win 11+ games, ~6 teams that can't win more than 5, and everyone else is mediocre.

First and foremost, I want the Chiefs to try, which they've done once in 40 years (through the draft, that is).

A reasonable enough position for a fan. (Of course, I would want the stop-gap in the mean time too.)

Mojo Jojo 09-16-2013 05:04 PM

Will someone please define the lines of Elite, Good, Average, Bad, Beyond bad QB's. Is it a QB rating thing...stats thing...championships won thing...combo of the above? Is anyone willing to to make make that definition?

Halfcan 09-16-2013 05:07 PM

This place will implode when Alex signs his 3-5 year extension.

O.city 09-16-2013 05:07 PM

IF Sutton has this defense legitimately this good and they can sustain it, Reid's gonna do some great things here. I'm not really worried about the offense (I am, right now, but in terms of the long haul) Reid has always shown he can get an offense going.

But if Sutton can be his Jim Johnson?

Yeah, look out.

Brock 09-16-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

**** you 49er fans, seriously. You guys come over here with your collection of lombardis and talk about entitlement when we're skeptical about a historically inept franchise. You guys are worse than the goddam patriot fans who flocked here to tell us how great cassel was.

Tombstone RJ 09-16-2013 05:17 PM

Alex Smith is just being Alex Smith, so far his stats are very Alex Smith like:

42/70 for 396 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs. 60% completion rating. with a whopping 5.7 yard per pass average.

SAUTO 09-16-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9984924)

at this point? hell yes it will, and honestly it should.

Hammock Parties 09-16-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9984981)
Alex Smith is just being Alex Smith, so far his stats are very Alex Smith like:

42/70 for 396 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs. 60% completion rating. with a whopping 5.7 yard per pass average.

Yep.

We better not extend this guy.

Not until he proves he can at LEAST win a playoff game.

SAUTO 09-16-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 9984991)
Yep.

We better not extend this guy.

Not until he proves he can at LEAST win a playoff game.

well he did win one before.

time for and extension I guess, he's sure earned it the past 2 weeks.

O.city 09-16-2013 05:22 PM

Reid has acknowledged that Smith hasn't been good enough in the passing game, in both pressers and basically at every chance he gets.

If the last 2 games are Alex Smith average performance, I'm excited to see him when the offense gets rolling.

Jakemall 09-16-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9984948)
**** you 49er fans, seriously. You guys come over here with your collection of lombardis and talk about entitlement when we're skeptical about a historically inept franchise. You guys are worse than the goddam patriot fans who flocked here to tell us how great cassel was.

I understand your frustration, but 1. it's not like KC isn't a storied franchise. 2. It's not like SF has been a great team to be a fan of for the past decade. In fact, after the death of our 80-90s dynasty, sucking was pretty bitter pill to swallow. The fall was the hardest part.

Alex was a guy that was a part of that redemption story for us. I think he'll be the same here.

Jakemall 09-16-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9985003)
Reid has acknowledged that Smith hasn't been good enough in the passing game, in both pressers and basically at every chance he gets.

If the last 2 games are Alex Smith average performance, I'm excited to see him when the offense gets rolling.

Besides the pressers, what are you talking about? Not saying it isn't true, but I haven't read anything of the sort.

keg in kc 09-16-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9985012)
2. It's not like SF has been a great team to be a fan of for the past decade. In fact, after the death of our 80-90s dynasty, sucking was pretty bitter pill to swallow. The fall was the hardest part.

Yeah, we're just shedding tears for your suffering, what with us not winning a playoff game in 20 years and not making a superbowl in more than 40.

O.city 09-16-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9985018)
Besides the pressers, what are you talking about? Not saying it isn't true, but I haven't read anything of the sort.

810 Sports.

Pretty much every Chiefs interview they've done with a Chiefs staff member, they've echoed that.

Tombstone RJ 09-16-2013 05:29 PM

was there a more annoying team and coach than the Niners with Steve Mariucci? Wasn't that about the same time Garcia was the QB too? Yuk. I spit in the general direction of the Niners and their band wagon, front running fans.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9984924)

They've been doing this for FORTY YEARS.... anyone who wasn't born yesterday shouldn't expect more from this team until they actually do something different.

If you really think he deserves an extension based off the past two games, Clark Hunt would like to talk with you about season ticket packages.

Jakemall 09-16-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9985032)
810 Sports.

Pretty much every Chiefs interview they've done with a Chiefs staff member, they've echoed that.

How did you feel about Alex in the last three minutes?

“I’ll tell you, I think he did great. But, I also think that big o-line did great. Those guys—they banked on him and then 25 (Jamaal Charles)—what are you going to say? Here’s a guy that is out a practice and a half this week and he said give me the ball, we need to end this thing the right way. Tough kid, good player.”

How would you evaluate Alex Smith in the first quarter?

“We had a few option plays we ran. We tried to involve him—they have a very good defense and so, we knew he would need to be a factor in there. They were packing the box on us. (Dallas Defensive Coordinator) Monte (Kiffin) went with a lot of single-safety-middle, which is a bit tough to run on. So we came out and we threw the ball. Alex (Smith) was going to be a factor in the run game. We went with the option game, where we got that extra person. That gave us that eight-man front and it worked out ok. When he had chances to scramble, there were some nice lanes there and he took advantage of that. That’s his game.”

Is what I got on Alex from the last one..not a whole lot of "Alex needs to be better" there.

I don't get 810 radio. That would be why I hadn't heard it.

Jakemall 09-16-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9985028)
Yeah, we're just shedding tears for your suffering, what with us not winning a playoff game in 20 years and not making a superbowl in more than 40.

Not asking you to. What I'm saying is that we had a TASTE of what you are going through. Pats fans have been good long enough to have forgotten how bad they were.

NinerDoug 09-16-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9985028)

Well, that definitely a level of suckery that is hard to top. Still, it's all relative.

GoChargers 09-16-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9985034)
was there a more annoying team and coach than the Niners with Steve Mariucci?

Whiners with Harbaugh
Patsies with Belicheat
Any Donks team with any Donks coach

Jakemall 09-16-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 9985069)
Whiners with Harbaugh
Patsies with Belicheat
Any Donks team with any Donks coach

Cowgirls with the Jimmy Johnson / Jerry Jones combo?

keg in kc 09-16-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9985062)
Still, it's all relative.

Only if you're a Chiefs fan in Arkansas. Ain't that right, Bob Dole. Wacka wacka wacka.

NinerDoug 09-16-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9985077)
Cowgirls with the Jimmy Johnson / Jerry Jones combo?

Rivers with any coach? There is something about that guy's face that just cries out to be beaten with a 2 by 4.

Halfcan 09-16-2013 05:42 PM

LMAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985036)
They've been doing this for FORTY YEARS.... anyone who wasn't born yesterday shouldn't expect more from this team until they actually do something different.

If you really think he deserves an extension based off the past two games, Clark Hunt would like to talk with you about season ticket packages.

LMAO Did I say that? I am just guessing that they will at the end of the year.

GoChargers 09-16-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9985089)
Rivers with any coach? There is something about that guy's face that just cries out to be beaten with a 2 by 4.

The Chargers with Craterface and AJ were annoying for Charger fans, so I can imagine how annoying they were for the rest of the NFL.

Halfcan 09-16-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9985003)

:spock: When? And how can you blame it on Alex when players have dropped balls and he has Zero time to throw? When your QB leads you team in rushing it is time to blame the shitty blocking and the inability to pick up even the basic blitz.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9985089)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1321505712

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9985091)
LMAO

LMAO Did I say that? I am just guessing that they will at the end of the year.

If Alex Smith elevates his play and shows he CAN beat an elite team in the playoffs (and no, the 2011 New Orleans Saints do not count), I'll be all for it.

I hope that happens. It's what is best for my team.

If he game manages them to 10-6 and a first-round playoff blowout (where the offense is anemic), while passing for 3300 yards at a 62 percent clip with 20-8 TD/INT? Yeah, I would have a problem with that.

He needs to show more than what he has so far or even in the past two years before a smart franchise hitches its wagon to him long-term.

NinerDoug 09-16-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985107)

That's the face that even Mother Teresa would have liked to stomp.

Sandy Vagina 09-16-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9985053)

I don't get 810 radio. That would be why I hadn't heard it.

He didn't hear it either. Either a complete fabrication or he misunderstood who the words were from.

... and I am certain that even Alex would say he needs to play better. I have already said I expect him to play better. But he's been pretty good, if considering new scheme, players, and a rather porous OL.

Mav 09-16-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9985147)
He didn't hear it either. Either a complete fabrication or he misunderstood who the words were from.

... and I am certain that even Alex would say he needs to play better. I have already said I expect him to play better. But he's been pretty good, if considering new scheme, players, and a rather porous OL.

Alex always thinks he needs to get better.

Its not like he will stop working. hell, I can guarantee, id place my years salary on the fact that last night he was already working on tape of the eagles.

O.city 09-16-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9985147)

Our offensive coordinator was on today saying we have to be able to threaten the deep areas of the field and that the passing game is going to have to be more efficient.

And if I were you, I'd watch running around calling people liars before you know what you're talking about

Mav 09-16-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9985161)
Our offensive coordinator was on today saying we have to be able to threaten the deep areas of the field and that the passing game is going to have to be more efficient.

And if I were you, I'd watch running around calling people liars before you know what you're talking about

Well, that makes sense. And its true. The entire offense has to play better going forward. There wasn't a part of the offense that you can look at yesterday and say that's as good as it gets. Blocking, running the ball, passing.

Sandy Vagina 09-16-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 9984916)
Will someone please define the lines of Elite, Good, Average, Bad, Beyond bad QB's. Is it a QB rating thing...stats thing...championships won thing...combo of the above? Is anyone willing to to make make that definition?

I doubt that anyone adequately can. There are the few considered elite... Rodgers, Brady, Peyton M.. then there are a few that some put as near-elite like Ryan, Eli M, maybe Stafford, Big Ben, Flacco, and Romo... then, there are a whole shit-load of quarterbacks that are regarded as good but not special.

I think such rankings are pretty much fan horseshit. All of these guys shit the bed at times... and other, lesser QBs step up and step back... all shit. Much has to do with good/great QBs being privileged with consistent schemes, great coaches and players around them.. being developed very well in their early years to handle when later things around said QB are less than great.

Sandy Vagina 09-16-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

or what? tough guy... **** you, if you have a problem spouting shit no one's heard and then showing no tangible evidence to support it when asked to.

Halfcan 09-16-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

You said Reid has Every chance he gets- I have heard nothing but praise for Alex from Reid and everyone on the team. Hell there is a full article about his play and how much the players like Alex.

O.city 09-16-2013 06:24 PM

Pardon me, Pedersen was on 610 today, not 810.

MahiMike 09-16-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 9980845)
I mean it's great that we're winning, but the Chargers won today because their QB threw for 419 yards and 3 TD.

That's what it took. To beat the Eagles. Whom we play in 4 days.

Gives you pause, no?

Kaepernick had 3 picks last night. Just sayin'

Bearcat 09-16-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 9984916)

In the past decade or so, I'd say it's become more about winning than any other single factor. It's a quarterback league, so logically, the best QBs are going to beat the top competition and win 2nd/3rd round playoff games and SBs. Good quarterbacks can put up elite stats (at times, anyway), but can't get over the hump and consistently win when it matters.

Overall though, mixing in different eras, I think it's a much more complicated question... it was more of a team game back in the day, so there were guys like Marino who put up the stats, but didn't get a ring, and guys who coasted (relative to other QBs) to a championship with an elite defense or simply an overall better team game that wasn't focused on the QB.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9985376)

Keep reading, it's all explained... jspchief, in particular.

Halfcan 09-16-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9985306)
Pardon me, Pedersen was on 610 today, not 810.

So it was Not Andy Reid saying it in Every presser as you stated? :doh!:

Halfcan 09-16-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9985376)

And a costly fumble. :p

Hammock Parties 09-16-2013 07:12 PM

lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUU60s6CYAAspPA.jpg

Ragged Robin 09-16-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9985120)
If Alex Smith elevates his play and shows he CAN beat an elite team in the playoffs (and no, the 2011 New Orleans Saints do not count), I'll be all for it.

If he game manages them to 10-6 and a first-round playoff blowout (where the offense is anemic), while passing for 3300 yards at a 62 percent clip with 20-8 TD/INT? Yeah, I would have a problem with that.

He needs to show more than what he has so far or even in the past two years before a smart franchise hitches its wagon to him long-term.

I like how we we've already matched last year's total wins and people are still crying about him not being elite. 4 TDs 0 INTs, has some wheels, doesn't do anything particularly mind-numblingly reeruned ala Cassel, and appears to be a good locker-room leader and people are still throwing him under the bus? Shouldn't you wait until he fails before you start crying your eyes out?

So far he looks like the same exact QB he did the last 2 seasons. He's not a world-beater but he'll show up in the clutch when you need him the most. Even in this last game, yeah it wasn't a perfect game (I'm pretty sure no QB in the league throws a perfect game every single week--just look at Kaepernick) but when we needed a TD the most he came through, got the TD and the W.

Also not sure why you're discrediting his win against the Saints. No other QB in NFL history won a playoff game with 4 lead changes in the last 5 minutes.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 07:44 PM

lol wut

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 9985619)
I like how we we've already matched last year's total wins and people are still crying about him not being elite. 4 TDs 0 INTs, has some wheels, doesn't do anything particularly mind-numblingly reeruned ala Cassel, and appears to be a good locker-room leader and people are still throwing him under the bus? Shouldn't you wait until he fails before you start crying your eyes out?

So far he looks like the same exact QB he did the last 2 seasons. He's not a world-beater but he'll show up in the clutch when you need him the most. Even in this last game, yeah it wasn't a perfect game (I'm pretty sure no QB in the league throws a perfect game every single week--just look at Kaepernick) but when we needed a TD the most he came through, got the TD and the W.

Also not sure why you're discrediting his win against the Saints. No other QB in NFL history won a playoff game with 4 lead changes in the last 5 minutes.

I'm not throwing the guy under the bus (if you want to see me throw people under the bus, pop into the Royals Repository and view a post on Ned Yost, Chris Getz, etc. - that's under-the-bus-throwing). I'm just not in a rush to proclaim him the answer at QB just because the Chiefs traded for him and because he has beat the worst team in the NFL and a middling NFL team while playing at a very average level overall.

He's fine. Adequate. The post you quoted was me responding to talks of a long-term extension for him.

The guy has been so far this year about what he has been the past two years: Somewhere between the 15th and 20th-best QB in the NFL. Not a star QB, but not a guy who hurts you.

I have higher aspirations for the QB position for KC than that over the rest of the decade. Andy Reid seems to believe Alex Smith CAN be better than he has been, and I hope he's right.

If he's not... I would hope they keep trying to find the star QB, which gives you the best chance to win consistently.

I would think a "clutch" QB would perform better on third down than Alex Smith has. And the Saints game... yes, he played well late. But the Saints were: 1) Not elite that year; 2) sporting one of the 2-3 worst defenses in the league. I included that because that's not the type of playoff win I'm talking about.

dizz 09-16-2013 08:09 PM

Compared to Cassell every single one of you KC fans should be THRILLED to have Alex Smith

Hammock Parties 09-16-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizz (Post 9985762)
Compared to Cassell every single one of you KC fans should be THRILLED to have Alex Smith

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUVGd4uCAAAWe2j.jpg

Brock 09-16-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizz (Post 9985762)

Um...I like the guy, but why is it THRILLING to not have dogshit at QB?

Rausch 09-16-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 9985619)

I think he's played about as I expected him to.

I don't expect him to get much better or much worse. What you see is what you get. He's a solid stop-gap until there's a draft with a QB that tickles Dorsey's fancy...

The Bad Guy 09-16-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

So you want him to beat an elite team in the playoffs. He beat a team that won the SB less than 2 years prior to when he beat them. The team that has an all-world offense, and that he answered 2 late scoring drives against?

There's one thing to really hate Alex Smith but it's another to discredit a playoff win. I'm not sold on committing to him past next year right now either, but A 21-5-1 record over his last 27 games is a hard to ignore stat for me.

While I'm on this, who exactly is an elite team that's not flawed on one side of the ball?

petegz28 09-16-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

LMAO...yeah, beating the Saints who had just won a Super Bowl doesn't count as beating an elite team. LMAOLMAO

He's won more playoff games than any of our QB's since Montana. Just sayin'

Oh wait, that game doesn't count, I forgot.

Hammock Parties 09-16-2013 08:29 PM

Tebow won a playoff game too.

petegz28 09-16-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 9985886)

Doesn't count...Steelers aren't eeeeeeeelite

Jakemall 09-16-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985381)
In the past decade or so, I'd say it's become more about winning than any other single factor. It's a quarterback league, so logically, the best QBs are going to beat the top competition and win 2nd/3rd round playoff games and SBs. Good quarterbacks can put up elite stats (at times, anyway), but can't get over the hump and consistently win when it matters.

Overall though, mixing in different eras, I think it's a much more complicated question... it was more of a team game back in the day, so there were guys like Marino who put up the stats, but didn't get a ring, and guys who coasted (relative to other QBs) to a championship with an elite defense or simply an overall better team game that wasn't focused on the QB.

So where exactly does a 21-5-1 record over his last 27 games put Alex Smith if that is the case?

Mav 09-16-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 9985522)

LMAO

Jakemall 09-16-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 9985886)

You're right. And Peyton Manning only won 1 play-off game more with basically the same exact team...so Peyton Manning is more or less equal to Tebow, right?

Right?.......Right????

Jakemall 09-16-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9985920)
LMAO

I'll wait to see if he can go 4-0 before I post that on the 9er site. I will though if it happens.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 08:38 PM

Yeah, that Saints win was legit... their defense sucked, but it's not like it was horribly bad by any means.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9985907)
So where exactly does a 21-5-1 record over his last 27 games put Alex Smith if that is the case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985381)

chief4life 09-16-2013 08:41 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...-is-Alex-Smith

I am not going to even get in this dumb debate with half of you why you think he sucks. The ending results is the guy is a winner and wins when it counts! But don't take my advice just click the link and watch these two Superbowl coaches who have won it all before you say different. All this crap that Alex can't throw deep is so stupid. Just look at tape he can throw the ball more than 30 yards! He is our QB stand behind him. We are 2-0 I just don't get it. Geno is far from ready to be a quality starter.

Mav 09-16-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985940)
Yeah, that Saints win was legit... their defense sucked, but it's not like it was horribly bad by any means.

it wasn't that year. It sure was last year though. Jesus.....epically bad.