ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign Jawaan Taylor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347961)

PHOG 03-14-2023 09:19 AM

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl :deevee::deevee::deevee:/ESPN

FloridaMan88 03-14-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 16854163)
ESPN Does NOT like this signing

Chiefs to sign OT Jawaan Taylor
The deal: Four years, $80 million ($60 million guaranteed)

Grade: C-

Taylor is an adequate pass-blocking right tackle, but this contract severely overstates his ability. His 89% pass block win rate for Jacksonville last season ranked 37th out of 64 qualifying tackles last season, and his 69% run block win rate was sixth-worst among tackles. Our numbers are not alone: Pro Football Focus had Taylor as above average in pass protection and last in run blocking. That's two different evaluation methods coming to the same conclusion -- that Taylor is far from an elite tackle. Plus, Trevor Lawrence's strong sack avoidance -- a strength for Patrick Mahomes, too -- likely artificially makes the Jaguars' offensive line look better than it is.

This deal is expensive enough that we probably can assume Kansas City won't bring back left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. It remains to be seen what Brown will receive on the open market, but I would much rather pay him than Taylor. This also means the Chiefs have splashed out for Taylor and still need a left tackle, or that they'll put Taylor on the left side, where he has not played in the NFL.

I get that protecting Mahomes is absolutely critical for the Chiefs. And if there were no other options on the market, I'd understand. But there are! Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor or even an Andrew Wylie return would all be palatable for significantly less cost. And the cost is important, because the Chiefs have other needs to fill.

One positive is that Taylor is just 25 years old and is a 2019 early second-round pick, so there is a possibility he could improve. -- Walder

What this means for the 2023 NFL draft: It's still unclear whether Taylor will stay on the right side or move to left tackle, but regardless, Kansas City has a hole at tackle that could be filled in the draft. Luckily, this class is deep in the top 50. With 10 total picks -- including No. 31 overall -- Dawand Jones (Ohio State) is one name who makes a lot of sense, if he makes it to the end of Round 1. -- Reid

Did Adam Teicher ghost write this?

staylor26 03-14-2023 09:23 AM

"Jawaan Taylor? Why didnt you just re-sign Andrew Wylie?"

RealSNR 03-14-2023 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 16854264)
Did Adam Teicher ghost write this?

Adam Teicher (probably): "It's unknown yet if the Chiefs are officially Super Bowl champions because they haven't received their rings yet. Given the reaction to a late game flag that secured the win for the Chiefs, there is still time for the NFL owners to get together and re-determine the outcome before the Chiefs are official champions. The future is unclear for the franchise, and it might mean they came up short on yet another year on an extremely expensive contract for their franchise QB."

493rd 03-14-2023 09:28 AM

We don’t have elite tackles and we’re not going to. Hopefully Taylor is still improving and will play well for us. I’m sure we’ll address O line in the draft also.

Reroka 03-14-2023 09:39 AM

This worries me a little. At least OBJ played LT in the pros before he came here.

This guy has played very little lt in the pros from the look of it.

staylor26 03-14-2023 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reroka (Post 16854290)
This worries me a little. At least OBJ played LT in the pros before he came here.

This guy has played very little lt in the pros from the look of it.

Yea, OBJ actually had experience there before coming to KC, but Taylor actually projects better to LT than OBJ because of his athleticism.

Worst case scenario, you move him back to RT, but I really don't think it will come down to that.

Reroka 03-14-2023 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16854293)
Yea, OBJ actually had experience there before coming to KC, but Taylor actually projects better to LT than OBJ because of his athleticism.

Worst case scenario, you move him back to RT, but I really don't think it will come down to that.

Ryan Leaf was projected to be a very good QB in the pros, Looked what happen there.

Not saying this wont work, just saying worries me a little

staylor26 03-14-2023 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reroka (Post 16854295)
Ryan Leaf was projected to be a very good QB in the pros, Looked what happen there.

That's a very dumb comparison dude lol.

And we're talking about Andy Reid here. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing with the OL.

The Franchise 03-14-2023 09:45 AM

Quote:

What kind of lazy ass comparison is that?

Hammock Parties 03-14-2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

mods, change this poster's handle to reeruna.

Reroka 03-14-2023 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16854299)
What kind of lazy ass comparison is that?

Not comparing the two,

You said "projected"

I am just pointing out that people say they project them to be good at said position and it does not always work out.

Reroka 03-14-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16854302)
mods, change this poster's handle to reeruna.

Mods please rename to No reading comprehension

Hammock Parties 03-14-2023 09:51 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrMHPHjX...pg&name=medium

staylor26 03-14-2023 09:53 AM

LMAO

Skip is such a ****ing doofus.