ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270480)

Jakemall 09-16-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985950)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9985381)
In the past decade or so, I'd say it's become more about winning than any other single factor. It's a quarterback league, so logically, the best QBs are going to beat the top competition and win 2nd/3rd round playoff games and SBs. Good quarterbacks can put up elite stats (at times, anyway), but can't get over the hump and consistently win when it matters.

Overall though, mixing in different eras, I think it's a much more complicated question... it was more of a team game back in the day, so there were guys like Marino who put up the stats, but didn't get a ring, and guys who coasted (relative to other QBs) to a championship with an elite defense or simply an overall better team game that wasn't focused on the QB.

So who has a more consistent win/loss record than Alex over the past 27 games?

chief4life 09-16-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 9985886)
Tebow won a playoff game too.

Your an idiot if you are comparing Tebow to Smith LMAO

Hammock Parties 09-16-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief4life (Post 9985978)
Your an idiot if you are comparing Tebow to Smith LMAO

Just saying, winning one playoff game in 7 years is not particularly impressive, nor an indicator of anything.

chief4life 09-16-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9985976)

I am still waiting for them to answer that one, but they can't because the answer is none.

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9985867)
So you want him to beat an elite team in the playoffs. He beat a team that won the SB less than 2 years prior to when he beat them. The team that has an all-world offense, and that he answered 2 late scoring drives against?

There's one thing to really hate Alex Smith but it's another to discredit a playoff win. I'm not sold on committing to him past next year right now either, but A 21-5-1 record over his last 27 games is a hard to ignore stat for me.

While I'm on this, who exactly is an elite team that's not flawed on one side of the ball?

We're really not that far apart. I'm saying that's one of the things (a big one) I'd hope to see before they sign him to a lucrative contract.

As for the playoff game... Alex Smith didn't do anything to that Saints D that wasn't done to it all season. In fact, his performance against them was almost exactly the AVERAGE performance by a QB in 2011 against them.

Just not that impressed by it. Sure, it was dramatic and he made some clutch plays (including some higher-degree-of-difficulty throws I wish he would make ALL the time, not just when he has no other choice). But in the end, it was a very median effort against a bad defense.

The 49ers D/ST also set Smith up to score 10 points on a grand total of 10 yards of offense (TD from the 4 after the Goldson INT return, FG after taking the ball at the 13 off teh kickoff).

I just would want to see more before he gets a lucrative extension and they commit to him long term.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9985960)
it wasn't that year. It sure was last year though. Jesus.....epically bad.

30th in passing yards against, but middle of the pack in points against... that's not terribly important though. It's not like it was the 2003 Chiefs. They got into a shootout and won.

If he does the same Thursday night, sure, the Eagles' defense has been bad, but if he's making plays downfield and getting good chunks of yards, at least it's something we haven't seen much of this season.

Of course, if he throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs, the board will explode.

Jakemall 09-16-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9985999)
We're really not that far apart. I'm saying that's one of the things (a big one) I'd hope to see before they sign him to a lucrative contract.

As for the playoff game... Alex Smith didn't do anything to that Saints D that wasn't done to it all season. In fact, his performance against them was almost exactly the AVERAGE performance by a QB in 2011 against them.

Just not that impressed by it. Sure, it was dramatic and he made some clutch plays (including some higher-degree-of-difficulty throws I wish he would make ALL the time, not just when he has no other choice). But in the end, it was a very median effort against a bad defense.

The 49ers D/ST also set Smith up to score 10 points on a grand total of 10 yards of offense (TD from the 4 after the Goldson INT return, FG after taking the ball at the 13 off teh kickoff).

I just would want to see more before he gets a lucrative extension and they commit to him long term.

His play might seem average if you look at the stat line for the game. However, if you consider he put up how much offense in that last quarter to win the game, it doesn't seem so average anymore. Their defense was built to stop teams from coming back...not to prevent them from grinding it out on them in the first place because the offense is too powerful to expect that to be a concern.

Mav 09-16-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9986010)
30th in passing yards against, but middle of the pack in points against... that's not terribly important though. It's not like it was the 2003 Chiefs. They got into a shootout and won.

If he does the same Thursday night, sure, the Eagles' defense has been bad, but if he's making plays downfield and getting good chunks of yards, at least it's something we haven't seen much of this season.

it would be nice to see. Im not holding my breathe though. I would like to see the run game get going this week.

The Bad Guy 09-16-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

I don't care what was done all season. The Chiefs couldn't run the ball on a horrible Colts rush D, like was done to them all season in the playoffs.

It's the playoffs - against a stud QB on a team that just won a SB 2 years ago.

This is like discrediting Kaepernick's win against Green Bay because their defense was putrid.

Alex Smith led both of those 4th quarter drives and made huge plays in both of them.

I want to see more too. I don't think there's a chance the Chiefs extend him prior to this off-season if he does really well.

ChiefsCountry 09-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Tom Brady

chief4life 09-16-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9986029)
Tom Brady

Ok I think you are are right on that one but right below him is Alex Smith :thumb:

Bearcat 09-16-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Against teams that would fall into the category of that kind of competition? I dunno, look it up.

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9986010)

And I have said several times (and I think some people are glossing over because I'm not going into full-on homer mode regarding who Alex Smith has been and can be), I really do hope he elevates his game and proves he can win games like that in a Chiefs uniform.

I AM a Chiefs fan. I HOPE he succeeds because that's what is good for my team. I HOPE Andy Reid is right about Smith.

I came into the year saying he'll have to show he can do what Reid thinks he can do before I'll buy all the way in. I'm not going to apologize for sticking to my guns on that and not going Chiefs red herpaderp after beating a terrible team and a mediocre team with very tepid performances at QB from Smith.

Just because he doesn't suck doesn't mean Chiefs fans have to act like he's a true star QB.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986025)
it would be nice to see. Im not holding my breathe though. I would like to see the run game get going this week.

They do need to get JC more carries, but they need to exploit the Eagles' weakness, too... which could go hand in hand.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 09:00 PM

Hey, post 25,000... yay.

Mav 09-16-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9986058)
They do need to get JC more carries, but they need to exploit the Eagles' weakness, too... which could go hand in hand.

Look, congrats on the post. I understand that Alex Smith has to show a whole lot more for the Chiefs to win more than just regular season games.

Im hoping he can provide that for you guys.

He is averaging over 30 passes per game. 35 to be exact. I never thought that would be possible with him.

splatbass 09-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9985120)
If Alex Smith elevates his play and shows he CAN beat an elite team in the playoffs (and no, the 2011 New Orleans Saints do not count),

Why the hell not? They don't count because it hurts your agenda?

When you have to qualify things that much to get your point to work you don't really have much of a point. Alex Smith has proven he can win in the playoffs. He has proven he can take his team from behind (repeatedly) in big games.

Bearcat 09-16-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9986042)
And I have said several times (and I think some people are glossing over because I'm not going into full-on homer mode regarding who Alex Smith has been and can be), I really do hope he elevates his game and proves he can win games like that in a Chiefs uniform.

I AM a Chiefs fan. I HOPE he succeeds because that's what is good for my team. I HOPE Andy Reid is right about Smith.

I came into the year saying he'll have to show he can do what Reid thinks he can do before I'll buy all the way in. I'm not going to apologize for sticking to my guns on that and not going Chiefs red herpaderp after beating a terrible team and a mediocre team with very tepid performances at QB from Smith.

Just because he doesn't suck doesn't mean Chiefs fans have to act like he's a true star QB.

Yeah, that gets lost in the black and white world where you're either stoked about being 2-0 or you're just a hater.... ever since the draft, I've said maybe this time there's a big plan, whether Smith really is better than his stats indicate or he's just here to get back to respectability while they find their guy, or whatever.... but, after so many times of saying "maybe this time...", I'm not going all in after two games.

And if he does throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs Thursday night, I still won't be all in.... and if he throws for 90 yards and 3 INTs, I won't be all out. There are far too many variables involved to get too high or too low over one freakin' game, or even a handful of games. Saying "but he beat the Saints that one time!" doesn't simply erase everything else. Sure, it's a positive, and the more times he beats the big boys, the further he'll go towards becoming an elite QB, and the happier I'll be.

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9986095)
Why the hell not? They don't count because it hurts your agenda?

When you have to qualify things that much to get your point to work you don't really have much of a point. Alex Smith has proven he can win in the playoffs. He has proven he can take his team from behind (repeatedly) in big games.

It's not about agenda. It's about desire to see more before committing to the guy long term with a lucrative contract.

Since when is doing something once (even if I agree the 2011 Saints were 'elite') proving you can do it?

Ragged Robin 09-16-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

He put up 4 TDs and two of them being lead changes in crunch time--like I said, a feat no other QB in NFL history has done. That's not quite "average." He played well enough to win against that ferocious Giants front the next week--in 3 point game the Giants had 10 points directly from both special teams turnovers. Oh and that was WITHOUT 3 of his top 4 wide outs from the start of the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9985750)
The guy has been so far this year about what he has been the past two years: Somewhere between the 15th and 20th-best QB in the NFL. Not a star QB, but not a guy who hurts you.

I find it hard to believe that there's 15-20 better quarterbacks in the league right now. Please don't list Bradford, Newton, Tannehill, or Palmer in there either. Oh and by the way, the last time he played Philly (against Andy Reid and Vick @ Philly) was in 2011 where they were down 23-3 and won.

I'm also not sure about this obsession with discrediting anything he does. At what point is it because of him? Every comeback in the history of the league is made by a team effort--defenses giving the offense another chance, an ST turnover, good field position, etc. It's more ridiculous that tards bring this down to the play level too--oh well the corner played the ball late, the DE tripped before hitting him, the safety fell down, etc. EVERY SINGLE PLAY is made at the expense of someone else messing up but apparently anything positive done by players named Alex Smith is done in spite of him instead of because of him right? He owns the 49er franchise record for most game winning 4th quarter drives in a single season (2011) -- oh well he had a good defense and run game. LOL ridiculous.

ChiefsCountry 09-16-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 9986183)
I find it hard to believe that there's 15-20 better quarterbacks in the league right now. Please don't list Bradford, Newton, Tannehill, or Palmer in there either. Oh and by the way, the last time he played Philly (against Andy Reid and Vick @ Philly) was in 2011 where they were down 23-3 and won.

Brady
Peyton
Rodgers
Brees
Flacco
Eli
Luck
Wilson
Kap
Big Ben
Rivers
Schaub
RGIII
Stafford

Vick, Cutler, Romo, and Smith are all about the same then.

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9986201)
Brady
Peyton
Rodgers
Brees
Flacco
Eli
Luck
Wilson
Kap
Big Ben
Rivers
Schaub
RGIII
Stafford

Vick, Cutler, Romo, and Smith are all about the same then.

Beat me to it.

13th-20th best is probably more fair. I'm not going to Mike Mayock the table for Schaub or Rivers over Alex Smith.

splatbass 09-16-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9986142)
Since when is doing something once (even if I agree the 2011 Saints were 'elite') proving you can do it?

By definition doing something once proves you can do it. Logic isn't your strong suit, huh?

Mav 09-16-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9986201)
Brady
Peyton
Rodgers
Brees
Flacco
Eli
Luck
Wilson
Kap
Big Ben
Rivers
RGIII
Smith

I wouldn't take Schaub, or Stafford. But the rest of the list is legit.

So about 13th......

Jakemall 09-16-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9986041)
Against teams that would fall into the category of that kind of competition? I dunno, look it up.

Are you suggesting that the SOS of those games were easier than compared to other QBs? It would be really amusing if you were.

ChiefsCountry 09-16-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9986213)
Beat me to it.

13th-20th best is probably more fair. I'm not going to Mike Mayock the table for Schaub or Rivers over Alex Smith.

Rivers would be a monster with Andy Reid, Charles and Bowe.

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9986214)
By definition doing something once proves you can do it. Logic isn't your strong suit, huh?

... on a consistent basis.

Chris Getz hit a HR ONCE this season... does that mean he's a consistent HR threat?

Jason Elam kicked a 63-yard field goal ONCE... does that mean he could consistently hit from that distance?

Pete Stoyanovich hit that 54-yard FG against the Broncos in 97... did that mean he could consistently hit from that distance that year?

Hell, I hit a 385 foot HR to RCF when I was 17... ONCE. Didn't mean I consistently could flash that type of power.

duncan_idaho 09-16-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9986224)
Rivers would be a monster with Andy Reid, Charles and Bowe.

I really just wanted to say "Mike Mayock the table." ...

Rausch 09-16-2013 09:46 PM

I think Alex is everything you want in a Dilfer-ed QB.

He does not turn the ball over (I'd be shocked if he tops 7-8 INT's for the year,) he doesn't make stupid decisions, and he's good in the locker room.

With a solid D, special teams, and offensive playmakers he could make a playoff run.

I don't think he could win a shoot out in the playoffs. It's completely against his grain.

I think he'd be even better if we used more play action (which he's very good at) and ran the ball more to play to his strengths...

ChiefsCountry 09-16-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986271)
I think Alex is everything you want in a Dilfer-ed QB.

He does not turn the ball over (I'd be shocked if he tops 7-8 INT's for the year,) he doesn't make stupid decisions, and he's good in the locker room.

With a solid D, special teams, and offensive playmakers he could make a playoff run.

I don't think he could win a shoot out in the playoffs. It's completely against his grain.

I think he'd be even better if we used more play action (which he's very good at) and ran the ball more to play to his strengths...

He is Marty's wet dream at QB.

splatbass 09-16-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986271)

He DID win a shoot out in the playoffs, against the Saints. Haven't you been paying attention?

Seriously, you are the second person in this thread today to say that he can't do something he has actually already done. :facepalm:

Bearcat 09-16-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9986223)
Are you suggesting that the SOS of those games were easier than compared to other QBs? It would be really amusing if you were.

No*, I just don't see how it proves your original point when you bolded/underlined what I said about how winning makes a QB elite... I said elite QBs can beat the big boys when it matters (and for the sake of cherry picking one playoff game, I did say 2nd round and beyond, and let's add "relatively consistently"). I also said good QBs can put up elite numbers at times, but can't consistently win when it matters.

Winning a bunch of regular season games over the course of a season and a half doesn't prove he's elite, and neither does winning a first round playoff game. For that time period, he actually fits my definition of a good QB.

*granted, the combined NFCW/NFCE in 2011 had one winning team besides SF, and they were 9-7... and I believe he only beat one team in 2011 or 2012 that made it past the first round of the playoffs in the same year... I hadn't really considered it.

SAUTO 09-16-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9986300)
He DID win a shoot out in the playoffs, against the Saints. Haven't you been paying attention?

Seriously, you are the second person in this thread today to say that he can't do something he has actually already done. :facepalm:

so because it happened once its sure to happen again?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 09-16-2013 09:56 PM

Let's just keep glossing over how bad the saints d was that year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat 09-16-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9986331)
Posted via Mobile Device

STOP WITH THE EXCUSES!

AussieChiefsFan 09-16-2013 10:02 PM

LMAO

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...02896033_n.png

l4z4rd 09-16-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

The Saints defense was #13 in points per game (21.2)

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9986300)

In KC?

No. No he hasn't.

We don't have the ****ing 49'ers defense.
We don't have their TE.
We aren't willing to run the football until the ****ing 4th quarter.

You have a sample size of ONE and he's now on a completely different team with a completely different HC...

splatbass 09-16-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9986322)
so because it happened once its sure to happen again?
Posted via Mobile Device

You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. He said, and I quote:

"I don't think he could win a shoot out in the playoffs. It's completely against his grain."

A shootout is completely against his grain, so he can't do it? HE DID IT.

splatbass 09-16-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986378)
In KC?

No. No he hasn't.

We don't have their TE.

You have a sample size of ONE and he's now on a completely different team with a completely different HC...

YOU SAID IT IS COMPLETELY AGAINST HIS GRAIN. But he did it. It was a stupid statement, and false.

Mav 09-16-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

23rd in stats and about 14 scoring defense.

Ironically, the Giants defense was worse, and won the super bowl.

So now we have to factor in how bad the defenses were and not factor in the fact that the Saints had the number one offense, and torched the 49ers defense, leaving the offense not once, but twice to be clutch?

Im not sure what the Saints defense has to do with this. The plays still had to be made right?

They weren't the worst defense in the league......

Mav 09-16-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986378)
In KC?

No. No he hasn't.

We don't have their TE.

No, this one actually could end up statistically being BETTER.

And to be honest, if you are being honest with yourself, the Chiefs have about the best defense in the AFC, and whatever defense he faces in the playoffs, wont be nearly as good as the Chiefs is.

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9986384)
YOU SAID IT IS COMPLETELY AGAINST HIS GRAIN. But he did it. It was a stupid statement, and false.

No, it's not.

This is like expecting Derrick Blaylock to score 4 TD's every game because he did it ONE TIME.

BALLER!

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986396)
And to be honest, if you are being honest with yourself, the Chiefs have about the best defense in the AFC, and whatever defense he faces in the playoffs, wont be nearly as good as the Chiefs is.

I'm starting to think you suspect I'm less than honest...

Mav 09-16-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986406)
I'm starting to think you suspect I'm less than honest...

hmm. Figure of speech. But, from your statement one could assume that you don't think the Chiefs defense is as good as I seem to think it is.

They are giving up 9 points a game.

Your defense has been far more dominant than the 49ers defense of 2011 was. Yeah, the same defense that gave up 27 points to Dallas, that the Chiefs just held to 16.....

Shrugs.....

Mav 09-16-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986401)
No, it's not.

This is like expecting Derrick Blaylock to score 4 TD's every game because he did it ONE TIME.

BALLER!

299 yards by the way

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320114025

While the defense you are saying Alex doesn't have in KC, gave up 460+ yards to drew brees.......

opposition 09-16-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

No, it's not.

In that game Smith still only threw for 264 yards AND ONE ****ING TD. ONE!

The 49'ers scored 36 ****ing pts and Smith threw for ONE ****ING TD.

BALLER!

299 yards 3 td's 2 within the last minute, right? which has never been done in NFL history? You have a link for them stats?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320114025

Funny, different forum same inabiltiy to never get stats correct trying to make Alex look bad. Shows they know exactly what they are talking about.

Mav 09-16-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9986413)
299 yards 3 td's 2 within the last minute right which has never been done in NFL history? You have a link for them stats?

4 tds including his GALLOP!!!

opposition 09-16-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986418)
4 tds including his GALLOP!!!

Defense did that one somehow. Trust me

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986409)
hmm. Figure of speech. But, from your statement one could assume that you don't think the Chiefs defense is as good as I seem to think it is.

They are giving up 9 points a game.

Your defense has been far more dominant than the 49ers defense of 2011 was. Yeah, the same defense that gave up 27 points to Dallas, that the Chiefs just held to 16.....

Shrugs.....

I'm very optimistic about this defense.

If we properly used the WCO and the running game (like SF did) to chew TOP and keep the defense off the field they could be top 5.

I just don't like how Phat Andy is balancing the run/pass and working to what Smith does best. I think he's enamored with what Smith could be instead of just slowly allowing the offense to evolve as the season goes on...

Mav 09-16-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9986422)
Defense did that one somehow. Trust me

And look, that may be one of my 5 favorite 49er games of all time, but im not going to pretend that Alex Smith does, or can do that EVERY game. but when it was needed, he did. And that's all that matters......

philfree 09-16-2013 10:22 PM

So two games in at 2&0 we're still talking about what Alex Smith did in the past? He's not a savior but he's far better then what we've had lately. 4 TDs and no INTs this year right now. I think we go 3 and 0.

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9986413)
299 yards 3 td's 2 within the last minute, right? which has never been done in NFL history? You have a link for them stats?

Funny, different forum same inabiltiy to never get stats correct trying to make Alex look bad. Shows they know exactly what they are talking about.

I clicked the wrong link.

Totally on me.

When I clicked back to check the rushing attempts I knew the donkey punch would come before I could edit it...

Mav 09-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986428)
I'm very optimistic about this defense.

If we properly used the WCO and the running game (like SF did) to chew TOP and keep the defense off the field they could be top 5.

I just don't like how Phat Andy is balancing the run/pass and working to what Smith does best. I think he's enamored with what Smith could be instead of just slowly allowing the offense to evolve as the season goes on...

Agreed. Part of me wonders how much of the offense is being predicated around Alex Smith right now due to I don't think anyone really knows how nicked up Jamaal Charles really is. And, the oline hasn't exactly been blowing open holes for him to run through.

Its been interesting to say the least. I think we will learn a lot in the next two weeks about who the Chiefs are going to be. I think to win in philly they are going to have to rely more on Charles.

Mav 09-16-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986435)
I clicked the wrong link.

Totally on me.

When I clicked back to check the rushing attempts I knew the donkey punch would come before I could edit it...

LOL. Gotta love it when there are sharks in the water waiting for that ONE drop of blood right?

Mav 09-16-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9986434)
So two games in at 2&0 we're still talking about what Alex Smith did in the past? He's not a savior but he's far better then what we've had lately. 4 TDs and no INTs this year right now. I think we go 3 and 0.

Im not gloating here, I was just looking. But so far his stats are so much better than Tom Brady, and Colin Kaepernicks its not even funny.

Brady is completing 52 percent of his passes.....

His receivers are JUST AWFUL THOUGH.

So before some dumbass goes, Smith>Brady, that's not what im saying.

Just giving some perspective.....

opposition 09-16-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986430)
And look, that may be one of my 5 favorite 49er games of all time, but im not going to pretend that Alex Smith does, or can do that EVERY game. but when it was needed, he did. And that's all that matters......

Alex is what Alex is I agree. He will look downright awful at times, and he will look completely unstoppable at times. If he could ever find consistency he would be top 5-7 in the league. Not sure if he ever will though. And by consistence I mean playing fantastic and making big time throws throughout the entire game. His play is pretty consistent for the most part all season. But yeah his highs are highs, his lows are pretty low.

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986441)
LOL. Gotta love it when there are sharks in the water waiting for that ONE drop of blood right?

Sharks don't get to complain when they get bit...

Mav 09-16-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986463)
Sharks don't get to complain when they get bit...

Some sharks bite back mister. By the way. From your other thread, the reason I repped bob Sutton so hard is because he is very much like Jim Johnson was, and ironically enough that is when Philly had its best defensive years.

Its fun to watch the Chiefs play defense right now.

Rausch 09-16-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9986459)
Alex is what Alex is I agree. He will look downright awful at times, and he will look completely unstoppable at times. If he could ever find consistency he would be top 5-7 in the league. Not sure if he ever will though.

That's the thing: he could hit top 10.

He's an excellent PA QB. He's very accurate when he has time to throw. He does not make mistakes. He will be a positive influence on the sideline. He's a cerebral QB that can read coverages and knows where the ball needs to go.

Play to THAT.

Use the run to set up play action passes. Use it to buy him time to throw.

I guess to clarify my point imagine the 95-97 Chiefs with Smith at QB.
Imagine the Garner/Watters Eagles with Smith.
We don't have to imagine the 49'ers smashmouth WCO. He's done it.
Hell, the old Denver offense with Plummer would be PERFECT for Smith.

Mav 09-16-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9986480)
That's the thing: he could hit top 10.

He's an excellent PA QB. He's very accurate when he has time to throw. He does not make mistakes. He will be a positive influence on the sideline. He's a cerebral QB that can read coverages and knows where the ball needs to go.

Play to THAT.

Use the run to set up play action passes. Use it to buy him time to throw.

I guess to clarify my point imagine the 95-97 Chiefs with Smith at QB.
Imagine the Garner/Watters Eagles with Smith.
We don't have to imagine the 49'ers smashmouth WCO. He's done it.
Hell, the old Denver offense with Plummer would be PERFECT for Smith.

oooohhhhhh. Good call. Alex Smith would thrive in a Shanahan offense with the bootlegs.....Great call.

wink91wink 09-16-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986496)
oooohhhhhh. Good call. Alex Smith would thrive in a Shanahan offense with the bootlegs.....Great call.

Until he blows out his knee and is forced to go back in the game :rolleyes:

Mav 09-16-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wink91wink (Post 9986501)
Until he blows out his knee and is forced to go back in the game :rolleyes:

LMAO

In fairness, that was on that stupid read option crap.....ALex would more likely blow an Achilles.....

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-16-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9984990)
at this point? hell yes it will, and honestly it should.

****in'-a right.

wink91wink 09-16-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9986509)
LMAO

In fairness, that was on that stupid read option crap.....ALex would more likely blow an Achilles.....

lol true. Well living in DC at least I don't have to hear their obnoxious fan-base talk about how amazing RG3 is all year!

splatbass 09-16-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

No, it's not.

BALLER!

Are you ****ing dense? I am NOT TALKING ABOUT THE FUTURE. I am talking about your statement that he is not capable of winning a shootout in the playoffs. HE HAS.

You really need to watch what you write. Maybe you didn't mean he isn't capable of doing what he actually has done, maybe you meant he can't do it with the Chiefs, but that is NOT what you said.

Alex Smiff 09-17-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9986594)
Are you ****ing dense? I am NOT TALKING ABOUT THE FUTURE. I am talking about your statement that he is not capable of winning a shootout in the playoffs. HE HAS.

You really need to watch what you write. Maybe you didn't mean he isn't capable of doing what he actually has done, maybe you meant he can't do it with the Chiefs, but that is NOT what you said.

He CAN win a shootout in the playoffs. As long as he wins the turnover battle by +5.

5 turnovers and he almost lost that game.:eek:

Marcellus 09-17-2013 06:05 AM

We had 8 TD passes all of last season, that is the picture perfect example of suck.

We have 4 in 2 games.

Mull it over.

Sandy Vagina 09-17-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9986111)
Yeah, that gets lost in the black and white world where you're either stoked about being 2-0 or you're just a hater.... ever since the draft, I've said maybe this time there's a big plan, whether Smith really is better than his stats indicate or he's just here to get back to respectability while they find their guy, or whatever.... but, after so many times of saying "maybe this time...", I'm not going all in after two games.

Seems the extremes are a fabrication altogether though. No one is saying you or anyone has to "go all in" and pronounce Alex is the savior of KC... that he is elite and will be exceptional for the next 10 years. No one is saying any of that... can you at least recognize and appreciate that much? Most of the pro-Alex guys are only really suggesting that it is wrong to label him as a Cassell and that KC can't be successful with him. You may not be black or white in your intent, but your posts have all definitely favored the pessimistic view... and definitely comes off as an axe to grind VS a simple pat on the back, and keep doing well, Alex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9986142)
It's not about agenda. It's about desire to see more before committing to the guy long term with a lucrative contract.

What commitment are we speaking of? If you mean commitment as in "extend him nao to a 5 year deal for 12 mil per"? Then, sure... I agree to not... and I doubt Smith really cares about that either right now. If you mean the extreme praise that I mentioned in my above response to Bear? then redundant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by opposition (Post 9986459)
Alex is what Alex is I agree. He will look downright awful at times, and he will look completely unstoppable at times. If he could ever find consistency he would be top 5-7 in the league. Not sure if he ever will though. And by consistence I mean playing fantastic and making big time throws throughout the entire game. His play is pretty consistent for the most part all season. But yeah his highs are highs, his lows are pretty low.

I have liked most of your posts, but this just doesn't seem accurate at all. If anything, Alex over the last couple years has been MORE consistent than most QBs. Other QBs regarded as better have been far more up and down in performances... really big games mixed with really awful games. Alex has been more consistently good but not lighting things up. And how many QBs really make big time throws consistently throughout games each week?

Sandy Vagina 09-17-2013 07:50 AM

Since this is always a big criticism of Smith....

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9...ack-vs-cowboys

Quote:

Alex Smith hasn't ever been known for his ability to push the ball vertically down the field so it's not a huge surprise that we haven't seen it much from the Chiefs to start the season. In fact, the Chiefs attempted just two passes over 20 yards against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, completing one. More on those later in this post.

But if the Chiefs aren't pushing the ball down the field then naturally the defense's safeties will creep up to help stop Jamaal Charles in the run game, right? That's the general line that people use when talking about a quarterback that either doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball down the field, or a team that doesn't at least show a willingness to stretch the field in the passing game.

After going back and re-watching the Chiefs 17-16 victory over the Dallas Cowboys, the Chiefs haven't reached the point to where a team is daring them to throw the ball deep.

The Cowboys Tampa-2 defense led by defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin had the safeties playing deep for the majority of the game.

Now the obvious question is... if Smith is such a lousy deep passing QB, why are teams even bothering to play the safeties deep against him?

ChiefsCountry 09-17-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9986973)

Now the obvious question is... if Smith is such a lousy deep passing QB, why are teams even bothering to play the safeties deep against him?

You are so stupid. Its the cover 2 douche, its suppose to force everything short.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tiger's Fan 09-17-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9986973)

AS has the ability to throw the ball down the field, he just doesn't have the guts to.

He's a chickenshit.

QB's that play as scared as him don't often find success. Yeah, he won't make the big mistake, but he won't go out and win the game for you either. There will be important games when the team needs him to do just that, and it simply won't be happening because he's a coward.

Closing out the game against the cowgirls is a perfect example of this. Jamaal Charles is the real QB of this team.

BigCatDaddy 09-17-2013 08:13 AM

Thursday will be the real test for Alex. The Eagles will put up points at home so the offense is going to have kick it into high gear. This is the type of game Alex HAS to show he can win.

Sandy Vagina 09-17-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9986985)
You are so stupid. Its the cover 2 douche, its suppose to force everything short.
Posted via Mobile Device

There ARE other elements to a cover 2 scheme that Dallas can run. You think a pro DC is just stuck with his CBs playing the short zone as his safeties split the field in deep halves? You really think Dallas plays that exact way every snap? You really think a pro DC wouldn't adjust to the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents offense and personnel? and I am the stupid one? :doh!:

ayleswbj 09-17-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9986994)
Thursday will be the real test for Alex. The Eagles will put up points at home so the offense is going to have kick it into high gear. This is the type of game Alex HAS to show he can win.

Not sure I agree with you a 100% Big Cat. I think this is the best D the Eagles will face. Im not so sure they will put up a lot of points. Also if there is one thing Smith is a master of its the Long Long sustained drives. Even if they dont turn into points. He has been the best the last couple season at Time of possession. Im not sure where all this" He has to show he can win stuff" is coming from. He is 22-6 in his last 28 games including the playoffs. The Qb get s the blame for loses and the glory for wins. Thats just the way it is. KC can dream an dream for an Aaron Rogers type of QB, its just not who he is, but those W's just keep piling up. Keep rollin KC you guys look like a real deal football team, even without the 300yrd passing games everyone wants so bad. Ol Smitty still looks good in Red!!! Happy for you guys.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-17-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger's Bitch (Post 9986991)
AS has the ability to throw the ball down the field, he just doesn't have the guts to.

He's a chickenshit.

QB's that play as scared as him don't often find success. Yeah, he won't make the big mistake, but he won't go out and win the game for you either. There will be important games when the team needs him to do just that, and it simply won't be happening because he's a coward.

Closing out the game against the cowgirls is a perfect example of this. Jamaal Charles is the real QB of this team.

Spot on.

duncan_idaho 09-17-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9986994)

Agreed.

BigCatDaddy 09-17-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9987081)
Not sure I agree with you a 100% Big Cat. I think this is the best D the Eagles will face. Im not so sure they will put up a lot of points. Also if there is one thing Smith is a master of its the Long Long sustained drives. Even if they dont turn into points. He has been the best the last couple season at Time of possession. Im not sure where all this" He has to show he can win stuff" is coming from. He is 22-6 in his last 28 games including the playoffs. The Qb get s the blame for loses and the glory for wins. Thats just the way it is. KC can dream an dream for an Aaron Rogers type of QB, its just not who he is, but those W's just keep piling up. Keep rollin KC you guys look like a real deal football team, even without the 300yrd passing games everyone wants so bad. Ol Smitty still looks good in Red!!! Happy for you guys.

We'll see, but I get the feeling this week will be the week he can shut up the naysayers such as myself that worry about what happens with the d gives up over 20 points.

The Bad Guy 09-17-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9987091)
Spot on.

Every freaking team would be milking clock in that situation with their run game. Every single one.

It's not spot on. It's nowhere close to being on point. It's frankly absurd.

Alex Smiff 09-17-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9987081)

I just hope KC doesn't sign him to a big contract as their long time starter because people will see eventually that he is very limited. Even with all the wins, Harbaugh saw it.

Alex's bread and butter is let the defense set the tone. If they keep the games close...the Chiefs will always be in games. If the D is ordinary. Good luck. It's not a knock on the guy, it's just not who he is. Fanboys have a hard time accepting that.