ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink America's 5 best BBQ hot spots (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272916)

HemiEd 05-09-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9671230)
You bet. Both the locations are pretty close to 35...

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9...30509at334.jpg

Thanks, I will try that one at 119th on my way through in a couple weeks. :thumb:

I used to work for a company very near Rosedales in the 80s, and was never really too impressed, as there is a half dozen joints in Wichita much better. I have never tried "burnt ends" again since ordering them there.

Predarat 05-09-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9671239)
Thanks, I will try that one at 119th on my way through in a couple weeks. :thumb:

I used to work for a company very near Rosedales in the 80s, and was never really too impressed, as there is a half dozen joints in Wichita much better. I have never tried "burnt ends" again since ordering them there.

What places in Wichita are good now?

Randallflagg 05-09-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9671239)

Yep! Get off on 119th Street and turn right on Strang Line....go down about a block and turn into it. Good Eats!!

HemiEd 05-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9671245)
What places in Wichita are good now?

To be honest, I should have used the word was, instead of is, in my post, as I moved away 17 years ago.

I think they have all pretty much changed around since I moved and I am not sure if they are all still in business. At the time R&S was the deal, everyone else came in behind them, but they were only open 8 hours a week. Then "Scotty" opened up a location on West street that was to die for. I used to like "La Lousianne" down on Central, and you could get sauce so hot you couldn't tell what you were eating. There was "Jet Barbecue" I believe that was pretty good.

When I go back now, we have gone to "Hog Wild" several times. I am not sure if there are any better, but a friend took me to "Pig n Pig Out" and it was pretty tasty, but I only had a pulled pork sandwich.

threebag 05-09-2013 03:02 PM

A buddy of mine is opening a BBQ place in Augusta Ks. It opens the 16 of May. The name is No Mercy BBQ. It's just off 6th and State in historic downtown. If you ever drive through Augusta check it out.

HemiEd 05-09-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9671276)
A buddy of mine is opening a BBQ place in Augusta Ks. It opens the 16 of May. The name is No Mercy BBQ. It's just off 6th and State in historic downtown. If you ever drive through Augusta check it out.

I will be going through there on the 28th, and will try and do just that.

Historic downtown Augusta? Ok. :D

Predarat 05-09-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9671274)
To be honest, I should have used the word was, instead of is, in my post, as I moved away 17 years ago.

I think they have all pretty much changed around since I moved and I am not sure if they are all still in business. At the time R&S was the deal, everyone else came in behind them, but they were only open 8 hours a week. Then "Scotty" opened up a location on West street that was to die for. I used to like "La Lousianne" down on Central, and you could get sauce so hot you couldn't tell what you were eating. There was "Jet Barbecue" I believe that was pretty good.

When I go back now, we have gone to "Hog Wild" several times. I am not sure if there are any better, but a friend took me to "Pig n Pig Out" and it was pretty tasty, but I only had a pulled pork sandwich.

Ahhh I'll have to try one of those places when I go back. But I'm making Oklahoma Joes my 1st priority on the way there.

HemiEd 05-09-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9671288)
Ahhh I'll have to try one of those places when I go back. But I'm making Oklahoma Joes my 1st priority on the way there.

I am with you on trying Okie Joes, as I haven't read one negative thing on this board about the place, just positive things, and that is saying something.

gblowfish 05-09-2013 03:15 PM

I like Rosedale's turkey and ham, and their fries.
Ribs, not so much. And they have RC Cola in bottles, which is bitchin.

Everybody has favorites on the KC BBQ discussion.

The places that come up most often are:

Gates & Sons
Arthur Bryant's
Oklahoma Joe's
L.C.'s BBQ
Jack Stack BBQ
Woodyard BBQ
Zarda's BBQ
Big T's BBQ
Snead's BBQ
Earl Quick's BBQ
Wyandotte BBQ
Smokestack BBQ
Rosedale BBQ
Smokin' Guns BBQ

And several others.

Arthur Bryant's would be the classic tourist experience, at 18th and Brooklyn.

Dave Lane 05-09-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670979)
Anybody been to L.C.'s in KC? I'll be back in KC next month and I wanted to try a new place. Heard it was pretty good.

LCs is damned good. Best BBQ beans in town.

Fire Me Boy! 05-09-2013 03:20 PM

Why isn't KC Masterpiece on this list? It freakin' made KC 'que.

Dave Lane 05-09-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9671306)

Meh

Not very good at all and out of business.

Dave Lane 05-09-2013 03:25 PM

And KC Masterpiece didn't make anything except a BBQ sauce.

silver5liter 05-09-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9671306)

Uhh

threebag 05-09-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9671278)
I will be going through there on the 28th, and will try and do just that.

Historic downtown Augusta? Ok. :D

Great. The food will always be fresh the only frozen food will be chicken strips for the kids. Steak nights on Friday, Daily Specials, and the BBQ will be done on a Southern Pride Smoker with Mesquite Wood. They are also giving breakfast a shot. Hot Links and eggs FTW.