ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Tomatoes in the ground (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228276)

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 6765679)
I got my beans in last week when the soil had barely dried and then it was another round of days of rain.

tilled lastnight but the east side of the big plot was still clumpy(downhill slope). looks like blue skys from sat. on so i didnt wanna push it.

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 08:16 AM

heads up

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

Buehler445 05-19-2010 08:27 AM

I got some tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeņos in. This is my first go around with the garden so I'm very much a n00b.

It's an old hog pen, so there should be decent fertility there. I tilled strips where I would plant and left the portions that will not be planted. I layed in some composted cow manure in before I tilled. Then I laid some dripline in. After all that, I put hay down over the whole thing to keep weeds out and moisture in.

It's the best I can do. Any suggestions (midstream)

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6766815)
I got some tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeņos in. This is my first go around with the garden so I'm very much a n00b.

It's an old hog pen, so there should be decent fertility there. I tilled strips where I would plant and left the portions that will not be planted. I layed in some composted cow manure in before I tilled. Then I laid some dripline in. After all that, I put hay down over the whole thing to keep weeds out and moisture in.

It's the best I can do. Any suggestions (midstream)

feedsacks/newspaper under the mulch. Did you check the PH on your patch of dirt?
manure nutrient chart
well shit that didnt work, give me a sec...

http://www.rainyside.com/resources/nutrient.html

Buehler445 05-19-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6766829)
feedsacks/newspaper under the mulch. Did you check the PH on your patch of dirt?
manure nutrient chart
well shit that didnt work, give me a sec...

All the damn dirt in the damn county is pretty basic. It's at my parents house, which is down in the valley, the dirt is pretty goddamn yellow, and just overall shitty, but like I said, we raised hogs on the dirt for I think 5 years, so hopefully that will add some value to the dirt.

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6766835)
All the damn dirt in the damn county is pretty basic. It's at my parents house, which is down in the valley, the dirt is pretty goddamn yellow, and just overall shitty, but like I said, we raised hogs on the dirt for I think 5 years, so hopefully that will add some value to the dirt.

yikes! wouldnt count on it. doesnt sound like very loamy soil. You cut a ribbon?

Over-Head 05-19-2010 08:54 AM

planted an herb garden m'self.LMAO
AK-47
Northern Lights
Purple Haze
White Widdow
and a cross bred mix of Jack Hore/Kush

Buehler445 05-19-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6766843)
yikes! wouldnt count on it. doesnt sound like very loamy soil. You cut a ribbon?

Most of the soil around is silt loam, but it is pretty alkali. I guess it probably isn't terrible, but the yellow dirt is kind of shallow.

I looked on our mapshots program and it is Bridgeport loam.

I may be overstating things. Compared to the dirt out of the valley, this dirt isn't all that good. But most of the dirt in the county is very good dirt. I'm not all that worried about it. Mom has had a garden down here for years, and she makes it work.

Are you thinking the dirt is going to be iron deficient?

tooge 05-19-2010 09:20 AM

thinned out the baby bok choy last night. It was really good with bacon pieces and garlic in the bacon fat. First from the garden this year.

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6766889)
Most of the soil around is silt loam, but it is pretty alkali. I guess it probably isn't terrible, but the yellow dirt is kind of shallow.

I looked on our mapshots program and it is Bridgeport loam.

I may be overstating things. Compared to the dirt out of the valley, this dirt isn't all that good. But most of the dirt in the county is very good dirt. I'm not all that worried about it. Mom has had a garden down here for years, and she makes it work.

Are you thinking the dirt is going to be iron deficient?

without knowing what any of that means i would assume after running hogs on it that long it would be calcium deficient and high in nitrogen.

Buehler445 05-19-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6766939)
without knowing what any of that means i would assume after running hogs on it that long it would be calcium deficient and high in nitrogen.

To be fair, we quit running hogs on there in 95, I think, so it should be mellowed out. And the composted manure we put on composted for a year (IIRC), so it isn't hot.

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6766975)
To be fair, we quit running hogs on there in 95, I think, so it should be mellowed out. And the composted manure we put on composted for a year (IIRC), so it isn't hot.

Did you put any fertilizer down?

Buehler445 05-19-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6766987)
Did you put any fertilizer down?

We put composted cow manure down.

MOhillbilly 05-19-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6767019)
We put composted cow manure down.

id still throw some 3-13 or 3-17 on each plant. Teaspoon each. JMO.

Buehler445 05-19-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 6767028)
id still throw some 3-13 or 3-17 on each plant. Teaspoon each. JMO.

I'm not familiar with those products. Fill me in?