ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Singer Lauryn Hill Blames Slavery For Not Paying Her Taxes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272908)

BlackHelicopters 05-09-2013 09:55 AM

Never heard of her.

frankotank 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9670274)
She should use it for other things.
"I'm a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them. I had a speed limit imposed on me. Someone did the math and it came out that I was going 70 in a 55. And I sit before you trying to figure out how to pay a speeding ticket?"

by her logic....this is PERFECTLY logical.
sad.

seaofred 05-09-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9669778)
“I am a child of former slaves”

How old is she or how old are her parents? I think she isn't being honest.

frankotank 05-09-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670510)
PREFACE: I do not agree with Lauryn Hill's reparations excuse for not paying taxes, HOWEVER...

I think the average (white) citizens of our society sometimes lack perspective when it comes to the history of African Americans in our country.

1787: the Constitution of the United States is drafted. The 3/5 Compromise declares that black slaves are considered 3/5 of a person to help bolster voting bloc in southern US.

1870: 15th amendment passes giving blacks citizenship/right to vote.

*This means that less than 150 (only 5 generations ago) years ago blacks WERE NOT EVEN CONSIDERED PEOPLE BY OUR CONSTITUTION (they were 3/5 of a person - which is insanely dehumanizing, dudes).

1880s - 1960s: Much of the United States is hell-bent on keeping blacks out of mainstream society. Jim Crow laws are adopted, Plessy v Ferguson (separate but equal) rules, Ku Klux Klan forms up, etc.

WE ARE ONLY TWO GENERATIONS REMOVED THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT (many of us were raised by parents who were raised in a systematically [and socially accepted] racist world).

If you don't believe that blacks have been systematically disadvantaged throughout the VAST majority of our nation's history then you do not know your history.

It takes time to overcome all of those things. Racism is still alive and well in our country (as has been repeatedly proven on this board). We have come a long way as a society, but there are still a lot of demons from our nation's past that need to be exorcised.

hey man....

nsfw curse words pic

this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
I doubt very much you've said anything here that we don't all know. white people know about slavery too. your post just doesn't have anything to do with Lauren Hill being a total ****ing reerun trying to use slavery as a reason. what a stupid stupid stupid bitch.

Mr. Laz 05-09-2013 10:19 AM

i don't think she should be going to jail for 3 months for interest

That said ... she's an annoying bitch who probably told everyone involved to **** off until the last minute. Enjoy prison.

morphius 05-09-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670593)
The tax burden in this country is overwhelmingly supported by the richest 10%. It's not even a close question as that 10% provides about 70% of our tax income. Hell, the top 1% alone covers a little over 1/3 of America's revenue stream. And that's actually a greater percentage than they paid 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, approximately 47% of America's lowest income earners don't pay taxes at all.

You may think that the rich should have to pay a greater share of their income - fine, whatever. But the bottom line is that the rich essentially subsidize 2/3 of this government. The middle class handles about 30% of it and 1/2 the country doesn't do jack shit to carry their burden.

Ignorance like yours is why we can't have a serious discussion about anything in this country.

The top 5% controls nearly 72% of the money, so 2/3 of the taxes seems like a pretty decent deal.

I'm not sure what the point is with this argument.

Bump 05-09-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670593)
The tax burden in this country is overwhelmingly supported by the richest 10%. It's not even a close question as that 10% provides about 70% of our tax income. Hell, the top 1% alone covers a little over 1/3 of America's revenue stream. And that's actually a greater percentage than they paid 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, approximately 47% of America's lowest income earners don't pay taxes at all.

You may think that the rich should have to pay a greater share of their income - fine, whatever. But the bottom line is that the rich essentially subsidize 2/3 of this government. The middle class handles about 30% of it and 1/2 the country doesn't do jack shit to carry their burden.

Ignorance like yours is why we can't have a serious discussion about anything in this country.

ROFL

Donger 05-09-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9670649)
The top 5% controls nearly 72% of the money, so 2/3 of the taxes seems like a pretty decent deal.

Well, yeah. That's because they are rich.

DJ's left nut 05-09-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9670649)

I'm not sure what the point is with this argument.

Eh, it's not even an argument really.

Like I said, there are arguments to be made that the rich should pay more. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they certainly exist.

But the idea that they simply don't pay is asinine. On a volume basis, it's the wealthiest earners in this country that fund the government.

Bump 05-09-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670663)

Like I said, there are arguments to be made that the rich should pay more. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they certainly exist.

But the idea that they simply don't pay is asinine. On a volume basis, it's the wealthiest earners in this country that fund the government.

ROFL

InChiefsHeaven 05-09-2013 10:31 AM

Somebody needs to tell her that even Obama pays his taxes...

Donger 05-09-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670663)

Bump has some rather interesting ideas about the way our country works.

Radar Chief 05-09-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670669)

If "interesting" = "crazy", then agreed.

DJ's left nut 05-09-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670669)

If there was any way I could control where my tax dollars went, I'd allocate them all towards keeping weed illegal just to piss him off.

Donger 05-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670675)
If there was any way I could control where my tax dollars went, I'd allocate them all towards keeping weed illegal just to piss him off.

LMAO