ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   QB Situation - Offseason Moves (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=11416)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 12:09 PM

Vinnie, Dan and Troy missed a year out of how many extremely productive years? Bob Dole doesn't see those as very convincing examples.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:10 PM

Stevieray,

Gannon, Culpepper and McNabb have not missed a game this season.

Grbac and Warner are immobile and have both missed games this season.

I don't think injury is an issue.

All you have to do is slide.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:12 PM

All I'm saying is that both immobile and mobile QB's both get injured about the same amount. It doesn't matter that one can run and one can't. <P>

homebizy 12-19-2000 12:13 PM

The Chiefs havent done much with Elvis and I think he will command around a $7-8 million dollar bonus, I say let him go. Chiefs will have to ride out the cap mistakes of Bush, Chester, Williams and Gray before they can commit more bad money. Elvis is a good QB, but not a playmaking guy a team can ride to the Super Bowl. I say lets not make another mistake and have him on the chiefs books long after he is gone. IMO, the Chiefs are closer to the bottom than they are to the top. Its time to find a QB in the draft who can run, pass, play hurt, and play smart. And oh yea, doesnt weight heavily on the cap. Then find a coach that can develop him.
I have seen to many telegraphed passes and screwed up clock management to support Grbac. Plus, his teams are barely .500 the last couple years. He has reached his peak, IMO.

egonzo 12-19-2000 12:14 PM

Those injuries were sustained by hitting helmets. More fluke than having the ability to scramble. Will these injuries hamper Gannon's and DC's play in the playoffs ? We'll see.

Sorry, Jeff, I'm too slow. Didn't see your last post.

[This message has been edited by stevieray (edited 12-19-2000).]

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:15 PM

Dole,

I agree with HC Chief, I'd take Tuiasosopo in the 2nd or 3rd round. Then I'd sign an udrafted free agent for the emergency QB.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:17 PM

Packfan,

We know the Chiefs will keep Grbac.

So who do you think they should pick for the backup spot?

Chief Nathan 12-19-2000 12:20 PM

Michael Biship was demoted to 4th string QB behind Bledsoe, Tom Brady and Friez...From what I have heard, Bishop couldn't read a defense even if it was written by Dr.Suess. He will be released soon.

homebizy 12-19-2000 12:21 PM

Cannibal is right. It doesnt matter if your a pocket passer or scrambler. Injuries happen to both. Randall Cunningham and Doug Flutie have played long time and both are guys who have made plays with their feet. Grbac's have come behind the line of scrimmage, not making plays on the run.

It helps to be tough and play through injuries too.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 12:23 PM

Bob Dole seems to remember Elvis getting hit on the sideline stripe and injured in an Oakland game...

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:23 PM

jl80,

He was demoted to 4th string over a month ago. And wasn't because of his lack of ability to read a defense, it was because he is being very boisterous about getting to play. He's talking in the media and to other teammates about sitting on the bench and the coach hates it.

BTW,

That 4th string demotion only lasted 1 week. He was moved back to # 2 the week the Chiefs played the Pats.

homebizy 12-19-2000 12:28 PM

Cannibal,

I dont know who they should take, but I think they should find one in the draft. I never heard of Matt Hasselbeck or Aaron Brooks before the packers drafted them so i cant speak for college seniors. Many college guys put up big numbers during their season. The true measurement comes at the combine. I will tell you this, the guy that you like from Washington does not impress me. I have seen a few of his games.

redbrian 12-19-2000 12:29 PM

I'll tell you what I want the Chiefs to do about the situation.

# 1) Grbac
# 2) Tuiasosopo
# 3) Project guy [althete].

What I think will actually happen.

# 1) Grbac
# 2) Collins
# 3) Project guy [pure pocket passer].

Chief Nathan 12-19-2000 12:30 PM

Cannibal,

Why do you think he fell to the 7th round in a draft that had 5 QB's taken in the 1st round despite the fact that he had the strongest arm of the bunch? And don't give me the black excuse because we all know the demographics of those 5 1st rounders...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 12:31 PM

So we can agree that QBs, whether "pocket" or "scramble" get injured. Great.

Bob Dole still feels that the offensive play design, play calling and general philosophy differs based on the skills and abilities of the QB, and thus, the #2 QB should have a similar set of skills and abilities as the starter.

As pointed out, Gannon (scrambler) would be only so-so with our offensive philosophy (and was, as far as Bob Dole can remember). Elvis has had his best season yet with our current offensive philosophy. Elvis would s#ck under Oakland's current system, and Gannon is a candidate for league MVP.

Therefore, Bob Dole still does not feel that it would be productive to have to change your entire game plan, mid-game or mid-season, because your starter got injured and your #2 had a completely different manner of play. Use the #3 position to start catching the "wave of the QB future." Bob Dole would hate to see us start next season strong, then completely tank because our #2 did not fit the system.<BR>