ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dan Hoch chooses Mizzou (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178328)

OmahaChief 01-08-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1
coffee is for closers.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/ima...-glen-ross.jpg

Sam Hall 01-08-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief
Dalton isn't as accurate.

Sometimes his decision making is scary if you're BSS, but he only threw one or two INTs last year. He's a playmaker who isn't afraid to take risks. South had tremendous run blocking, but Dalton frequently had to scramble on pass attempts all season, and that hurt against Rockhurst. South didn't have a polished passing game going into Rockhurst because they hadn't needed one all season.

KChiefs1 01-08-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou
Anyone else excited to see what Willie Mo does next year?

1st team All-American

KCinNY 01-08-2008 10:41 PM

16 of 22 starters back next year.

Preseason top 5 for sure.

M-I-Z!!!!!!!

Frazod 01-08-2008 11:34 PM

Z-O-U!!!!!!

Sam Hall 01-09-2008 02:28 AM

On the same day Nebraska loses an offensive line commit to Mizzou, they gain an OL commit from a kid previously committed to Iowa State and Oklahoma State. Only in the world of college football recruiting...

crazycoffey 01-09-2008 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1
coffee is for closers.

yes I am....

BWillie 01-09-2008 02:42 AM

How come we aren't getting any football recruits? After an Orange Bowl victory we better be getting something the next two years. In Mangino's system though he can make gold out of two star players though.

At any rate, you MU fans should be happy the way your football program is going. Hopefully it doesn't end up like KSU's basketball program. high profile recruits with nothing to show for it.

KC Kings 01-09-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho
DE Aldon Smith, Raytown. Tall, lean, fast, good athlete (I hear he's an outstanding basketball player). Would be a nice bookend in the class with Williams.

He's been offered multiple basketball scholarships, but only wants to play basketball. Raytown basketball is ranked anywhere from #1 to #3 in the state, and they are a fun team to watch.

I watched Smith play several football games this year, and I thought he looked better at TE than DE. He is 6'5" and has arms like an orangutan, so he had an unfair advantage over most of the HS players covering him, and at TE he completely dominated.

Don't get me wrong he looked good at DE, but I expected a 4 star recruit that is as big as he is and can bench over 300 in the off-season to be a little more impressive. Granted, he was double-teamed 99% of the team and Raytown does not have a good football team, so all of the pressures and tackles for losses are his doing.

KC Kings 01-09-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz
Dalton a potential MU recruit?

Blaine the Second. But I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind. He is only a junior and verbally committed before the 5 Star Blaine from the right side of the state committed.

Before he committed to Mizzou, here is what his father said about him not wanting to have to be 2nd string behind Blaine Gabbert

"The only two schools the Daltons have decided they will definitely visit for games are Missouri and Nebraska. Speaking of Nebraska, there’s been no shortage of talk about how this year’s blue-chip in-state quarterback, Blaine Gabbert, chose the Huskers over the Tigers. But losing out on Gabbert could pay dividends after all, it seems.

“We’ve know Blaine Gabbert for a long time. When we went to the Junior Day [at Missouri], all the attention was on Blaine Gabbert. I figured he was a done deal for Missouri. So Blaine was thinking, I don’t know if this would make a lot of sense” to go to Missouri one year after Gabbert, Jim Dalton said.

“When Blaine Gabbert chose Nebraska, that really opened things up from a Missouri perspective.”

kepp 01-09-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou
Anyone else excited to see what Willie Mo does next year?

Absolutely. I just assumed he would enter the draft after the year he had so hearing that he's coming back is a great surprise.

kepp 01-09-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007
How come we aren't getting any football recruits? After an Orange Bowl victory we better be getting something the next two years. In Mangino's system though he can make gold out of two star players though.

At any rate, you MU fans should be happy the way your football program is going. Hopefully it doesn't end up like KSU's basketball program. high profile recruits with nothing to show for it.

What kind of scares me is I don't want to all of the sudden get an influx of "me me me" athletes like Oklahoma or Miami or one of those programs has...the kind that cause more trouble than they're worth. I'd rather stick to the 3-to-4 star guys that have character.

DaKCMan AP 01-09-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp
What kind of scares me is I don't want to all of the sudden get an influx of "me me me" athletes like Oklahoma or Miami or one of those programs has...the kind that cause more trouble than they're worth. I'd rather stick to the 3-to-4 star guys that have character.

There are some high-character 5-star recruits just as there are some cancerous 2-to-3 star recruits.

duncan_idaho 01-09-2008 01:21 PM

A few things...

I think Chase Daniel is one of the five most accurate QBs in the country. That's a lot to live up to; hard to expect the next QB to AS accurate. The question is whether he can be accurate ENOUGH.

Dalton hasn't thrown a ton in HS because of the system he plays in and the talent around him. Look at his videos on Rivals - he displays very good accuracy (though not Daniel-level) on deep and short/intermediate routes when given time to set and throw. He also scrambles well to buy time and make accurate throws downfield. (sounds like someone else we know, right?)

Neither Missouri nor kansas will see their 07 seasons make a huge impact on 08 recruiting. It might help with a few kids, but the real boost will come in 2009 - as long as they exhibit similar success. Missouri also has more in-state talent to work with AND a better draw in Texas (thanks to Daniel).

Smith DOES look better as a TE, but his play at DE will improve: 1) when he has comparable talent around him and he can't be double- and triple-teamed constantly; 2) with college-level strength and conditioning; 3) with college-level coaching. He stands out at TE more because it's easier to make a mark there based on natural size and athleticism.

Finally, the good news for Missouri fans is that Pinkel and co. still seem to be relying on THEIR evaluations of kids before any other (see the recent commitment of Jerrell Jackson from Houston, unranked before giving Missouri a verbal).

kepp 01-09-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP
There are some high-character 5-star recruits just as there are some cancerous 2-to-3 star recruits.

Probably true enough, but I'd bet that the cancerous-to-character ratio is much higher in the 5-start group.