ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who does the Planet want the Chiefs to pick at #3? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203851)

chop 03-08-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forward Dante (Post 5567064)
We tried to make our d-line good, but it is bad. Therefore, we should not try to make it good. Is that about right?

Yeah, that is what I said. :shake:

Danman 03-09-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5566883)
We keep drafting them until they stop wasting them and actually get it right, i guess. What choice do we have?

And yet, many oppose drafting QBs with top draft choices for the same reason. . . Don't worry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, though I wanted Sanchez before Cassell. I think the Chiefs are hopeful somebody will fall in love with Curry and want to trade up to get him. I expect us to be big traders with our picks under Pioli.

Brock 03-09-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danman (Post 5567334)
And yet, many oppose drafting QBs with top draft choices for the same reason. . ..

That's exactly right. Past draft failures should be irrelevant.

Coogs 03-09-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forward Dante (Post 5567064)
We tried to make our d-line good, but it is bad. Therefore, we should not try to make it good. Is that about right?

I have hope that just getting rid of Gun will improve our front 7 big time. I know some will try and pin it on Herm, but we saw the sme thing under DV as well. Gun had all kinds of top draft picks and FA's brought in at his request under both HC's, and did squat with them. And many of those guys went other places and preformed at a level that they did not show here.

Here is hoping the new regime will make players out of the high draft picks we already have on board.

Chiefnj2 03-09-2009 08:50 AM

Who will KC draft? I think Pioli is a risk averse type person. That explains the Cassel decision. So, I think he will do one of two things at the #3 pick (assuming they keep the pick).

Option 1, protect his investment at QB. GMs and coaches make or break their careers on their QB decisions/indecisions. Cassel was Pioli's first major move. I can't imagine he will be content to protect him with last years OL, nor will he rely on last year's OL to open up holes for the running game and take some pressure off of Cassel. Monroe or Smith seem the likely choices.

Option 2, take the best player available, which is Curry. The lowest risk pick at a position of need. Not great value, but getting a potential pro bowl quality defender never hurts.

DeezNutz 03-09-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5567524)
I think Pioli is a risk averse type person.

First of all, no such thing.

But if it's true, as you're applying the above, I hope Pioli is fired this afternoon.

DaKCMan AP 03-09-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5565991)
NT B.J. Raji this year and DE George Selvie next year?

There are much better DE's than Selvie who will be available in 2010.

Chief Roundup 03-09-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Who will KC draft? I think Pioli is a risk averse type person. That explains the Cassel decision. So, I think he will do one of two things at the #3 pick (assuming they keep the pick).

Option 1, protect his investment at QB. GMs and coaches make or break their careers on their QB decisions/indecisions. Cassel was Pioli's first major move. I can't imagine he will be content to protect him with last years OL, nor will he rely on last year's OL to open up holes for the running game and take some pressure off of Cassel. Monroe or Smith seem the likely choices.

Option 2, take the best player available, which is Curry. The lowest risk pick at a position of need. Not great value, but getting a potential pro bowl quality defender never hurts.

Well picking another OL at 3 is risky as well. You may get a good OL but it is a risky move for the team as a whole especially when we can get a RT, RG, C in 3rd and later.

Chiefnj2 03-09-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 5567554)
Well picking another OL at 3 is risky as well. You may get a good OL but it is a risky move for the team as a whole especially when we can get a RT, RG, C in 3rd and later.

Most teams can get a C, G or ROT in the 3rd or later. KC hasn't done so well trying to fill those positions with later round picks or free agents.

For years KC had a great OL with Roaf and Shields as the cornerstones. It isn't an ideal situation, but if KC takes Monroe and plays him at LOT and moves Albert to G or RT things could be worse.

htismaqe 03-09-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

This is precisely why I think Pioli is going to do everything in his power to try and trade down.

He's not gonna take Smith or Monroe. But I do think if he could trade down once, or even twice, we'd take OL with 2 of our 1st-day picks.

ChiefRon 03-09-2009 09:44 AM

I think the 1st option Pioli would look for would be to trade down. This might work out if Stafford is still on the board, but chances are still slim due to the compensation required to move into the #3 spot.

If unable to trade down, I bet he targets the offensive or defensive line. He has shown a history of using 1 round picks on the defensive line. I include offensive line simply because of the reasoning behind protecting his investment in Cassel.

A LT could explain why no moves have been made to upgrade the offensive line. Maybe he's thinking "Draft Monroe, move Albert to LG, move Waters to C, Move Niswanger to RG, draft RT in 3rd, 4th, or 5th round"?? Sounds far-fetched, but otherwise I have no idea why we didn't target upgrades on the offensive line. If we do sign somebody, maybe that will throw this scenario out the window...

Having said all that, I bet it's Raji. How many 1st rounders did he use to assemble that DL in NE?

Chiefnj2 03-09-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 5567602)
This is precisely why I think Pioli is going to do everything in his power to try and trade down.

He's not gonna take Smith or Monroe. But I do think if he could trade down once, or even twice, we'd take OL with 2 of our 1st-day picks.

I agree that his primary goal would be to trade down, but since the draft chart is so highly flawed as to the top 3 picks, trading down becomes near impossible. I've said for a while that they should talk to Detroit for the 20th, 33rd, a 3rd and picks in 2010. This way KC could grab a LB or DE with the 20th and a top lineman with the 33rd.

htismaqe 03-09-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5567638)
I agree that his primary goal would be to trade down, but since the draft chart is so highly flawed as to the top 3 picks, trading down becomes near impossible. I've said for a while that they should talk to Detroit for the 20th, 33rd, a 3rd and picks in 2010. This way KC could grab a LB or DE with the 20th and a top lineman with the 33rd.

We have to hope Detroit passes on Stafford. If he does, there will be a market for our pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-09-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5567568)
Most teams can get a C, G or ROT in the 3rd or later. KC hasn't done so well trying to fill those positions with later round picks or free agents.

For years KC had a great OL with Roaf and Shields as the cornerstones. It isn't an ideal situation, but if KC takes Monroe and plays him at LOT and moves Albert to G or RT things could be worse.

Why are you comparing Peterson's picks to Pioli's yet undetermined picks? Whether or not we fanned on OL with Peterson is as relevant as to whether or not we fanned with Steadman.

The fact of the matter is that it's just bad value to spend a top 3 pick on a guy whose LT ceiling is no more than incrementally better, if that, of a guy you spent less money on last year.

If you want to trade down and take an O-lineman with mid-round picks, have at it, but it's just mind-boggling to want to tie up LT money into two players on one line, when you already have one who can play LT at a very high level.

Willie Roaf really ****ed up this fanbase.

Ebolapox 03-09-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 5566994)
We need a leader on D-Curry sounds like a great leader. BJ sounds like a fatass that has tried really hard lately at the right time. Bust is written all over him. Curry is getting rav reviews. Oh and we need a LB in a very bad way.

aundrey bruce got rave reviews in the day. your point is?