ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Don't Chiefs need a 2nd or 2 firsts for a successful 2009 draft? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205263)

Manila-Chief 04-05-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5640530)
Don't misunderstand me here.

I don't believe that Matt Cassel is that guy, and I think it was a mistake to trade for him.

But I do allow for the possibility that I'm wrong.

If Matt Cassel does prove me wrong, then it will have been a good draft.

But remember, Mike Livingston looked like an NFL starter after the '69 season.

How'd that turn out?

You are correct ... I remember the fans making reclamo (I think it was after 1969) about him replacing Dawson and no, it didn't turn out well. We'll have to wait and see how Cassel does.

Cassel ... What I have is "hope" ... not assurance he will become the franchise QB. But, with Pioli in charge, I'll give the team the benefit of the doubt and hope he continues to develop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 5641336)
I'm still not convinced that there's anybody worth a #3 pick for the Chiefs.

That's my feeling as well. I'm not one of those ... "don't draft that guy in that position because he doesn't have VALUE." It's stupid to pass on a guy who can do the job for the team, just because of someone's precieved "value."

For me the value is whether he plays his position up to expectations or not. If a player fills the bill for the team then he has value for them. i.e. the year Tom Brady was taken in the 6th. round, most would have said that is where his value was. (And, BTW ... it was a lucky break on N.E.'s part ... if they had really known how good he was they would have certainly taken him much higher.) But, knowing what we know now, where would you draft him. Of course at #1 ... but, many would scream, that's way too high for him. So, to me value has to do with how a player fits the team and how he performs.

I agree ... this year there is a lot of money involved at #3 to just take any player. So, a player taken needs to become a Ray Lewis/L.T, or Roaf, or Elway, etc. I don't see that player in this year’s draft. Therefore, I hope we can trade down and get almost the same LB as Curry (and in a lot of years the player that becomes the best at his position is taken way down the list) with a lot less cap space and get extra picks.

If we could (not sure there will be any takers for the #3) trade with the donks ... a #12 & #18 (I think those are correct???) would help us build our team, replace our 2nd. round pick, and relieve the cap space of a #3 pick. But, like you guys ... I don't want to help build their team for the long haul with a franchise QB. If there are no other trade partners, it might be best to just take Sanchez and either dangle him for trade bait or as an insurance policy for Cassel’s continued development (can trade later).

That being said, the best scenario would be for us to get the extra pick(s), they take Sanchez, for Mecca to be totally wrong about him, and at best he becomes a so-so QB. (I don’t think that will happen.)