ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher: Pioli wants Chiefs’ signings to send a message to the team... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=225337)

Chiefaholic 03-23-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 6628312)
In case you missed it...there is no salary cap.

I realize that, smartass... But, there just MIGHT be in a couple years when the two sides come to an agreement. It doesn't matter who we draft, Cassel will start the season. If he plays like last year, then Clausen could start by mid-season. Then the Chiefs would either cut or restructure Cassell's contract before he's due his roster bonus.

RedThat 03-23-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6628295)
I think you're seeing the difference between a tough as hell offense and a tough as hell defense. Nothing more.

That offensive line could pretty much do what it wanted to, when it wanted to. It was a True Fan's wet dream.

Those offensive lines were sick. Ive never seen such crisp blocking in my life. Every time the Chiefs touched the ball on offense, the lineman were monsters, they either drove guys off balance or to the ground a lot of times. It was a thing of beauty. I miss that.

DeezNutz 03-23-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6628320)
I think there's a disconnect here that's probably my fault for not being clear enough. When I talk about "toughness", I'm not talking about a physical attribute. I'm talking about a psychological one. Toughness as in willpower, as in an ability to overcome adversity. And I think that's something the Chiefs have been missing for the decade plus that I've watched them. I see it in the way they carry themselves on the field and on the sideline. I think it's reflected to a degree in the way the fans have this "what's next?" attitude. What bad draft pick are they going to make? How are they going to blow this game? That "here we go again" look they get late in games when, inevitably, everything falls apart. How we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because since the late 90s, the other shoe does always drop. Because the team lacks....something. Not just talent. Some of it's knowing how to win. Some of it's swagger. Maybe "toughness" is a bad word, but it's the one I've always used.

Don't disagree with this.

RedThat 03-23-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6628320)
I think there's a disconnect here that's probably my fault for not being clear enough. When I talk about "toughness", I'm not talking about a physical attribute. I'm talking about a psychological one. Toughness as in willpower, as in an ability to overcome adversity. And I think that's something the Chiefs have been missing for the decade plus that I've watched them. I see it in the way they carry themselves on the field and on the sideline. I think it's reflected to a degree in the way the fans have this "what's next?" attitude. What bad draft pick are they going to make? How are they going to blow this game? That "here we go again" look they get late in games when, inevitably, everything falls apart. How we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because since the late 90s, the other shoe does always drop. Because the team lacks....something. Not just talent. Some of it's knowing how to win. Some of it's swagger. Maybe "toughness" is a bad word, but it's the one I've always used.

I agree. What they lack psychologically is "killer instinct."

They don't play with enough of an edge or attitude I should say.
At least I haven't seen that from them? They're missing attitude dude.

The type of attitude Im referring to is playing with that mean streak that every Sunday when you go out there it's war, you're prepared to kill guys, crush any opposition that enters your path. Playing with that edge to the point where teams are afraid of you. I'd like to see them have that mentality. It sure worked well for the Steelers in 70's. And if Pittsburgh is the franchise this team is modelling around then I hope they go with that approach, it blends in perfectly with the violent nature of the sport.

*They need to draft some mean suckers. Particularily on defense. Mean, tough, nasty sob's that resemble the mean joe greene's of the world, or the Jack Lamberts and Jack Hams types. Im dreaming, but it's sure as good to do that.

Molitoth 03-23-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedThat (Post 6628401)

The type of attitude Im referring to is playing with that mean streak that every Sunday when you go out there it's war, you're prepared to kill guys, crush any opposition that enters your path. Playing with that edge to the point where teams are afraid of you. I'd like to see them have that mentality. Go with that approach, it blends in perfectly with the violent nature of the sport.

In other words, players are just happy to get a paycheck. It's the teams who want more than that who end up winning super bowls.

RedThat 03-23-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 6628415)
In other words, players are just happy to get a paycheck. It's the teams who want more than that who end up winning super bowls.

A lot of the players we have don't have the mentality to be great. All about attitude. Were missing guys with the right attitude that could change this losing culture and take us to another level.

Chiefaholic 03-23-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedThat (Post 6628401)

The type of attitude Im referring to is playing with that mean streak that every Sunday when you go out there it's war, you're prepared to kill guys, crush any opposition that enters your path. Playing with that edge to the point where teams are afraid of you. I'd like to see them have that mentality. It sure worked well for the Steelers in 70's. And if Pittsburgh is the franchise this team is modelling around then I hope they go with that approach, it blends in perfectly with the violent nature of the sport.

*They need to draft some mean suckers. Particularily on defense. Mean, tough, nasty sob's that resemble the mean joe greene's of the world, or the Jack Lamberts and Jack Hams types. Im dreaming, but it's sure as good to do that.

Then the NFL would get flag happy and tone down the defense if they played with heart. Heaven forbid somebody's franchise player get his clock cleaned on the field with a hard hit. The NFL would lose viewers, and they'll have none of that

BossChief 03-23-2010 10:08 PM

I think our problem now isn't anything to do with Dick Vermeil.

Matter of fact, I don't think it was Dicks fault back then, either.

Dick didn't hire Gunther.

Dick didn't blow every first round pick from ever until 2006.

Carl did those things that damned us for the last 10+ years.

Carl Peterson

Im gonna go take a shot and toast to him not being here anymore.

Mecca 03-23-2010 10:37 PM

Well it's on Carl for giving his coaches way to much say in draft picks.

For the most part coaches need to shut up on draft day they don't scout these players.

bigbucks24 03-23-2010 10:39 PM

Speaking of signing free agents, what would you guys think of Jason Taylor? He's looking for a 2 year deal worth $5M. As of yet, the Dolphins have yet to contact him (or return his advances). Could the Chiefs use a 36 year old, gonna be HOF WOLB?

Mecca 03-23-2010 10:42 PM

I'm pretty sure the Chiefs can use anything that gets Mike Vrabel off the field but since he's a Pioli guy, won't happen.

DeezNutz 03-23-2010 10:52 PM

****, yes, it had a tremendous amount to do with Vermeil.

But this argument is well rehearsed. Hated rookies. Carl gave his HCs way, way too much say and authority with the draft and personnel decisions, etc.

Vermeil and CP were the perfect combination to cripple the franchise.

Mecca 03-23-2010 10:55 PM

Hell the one time Carl decided to make the pick, Vermiel acted like someone pissed in his face.

DeezNutz 03-23-2010 10:58 PM

Perfect example for why things were a complete mess.

Coaches coach. GMs and scouts acquire talent. The whole Parcells' line about cooking and needing to select the ingredients is bullshit. Bull. Shit.

Mecca 03-23-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6628739)
Perfect example for why things were a complete mess.

Coaches coach. GMs and scouts acquire talent. The whole Parcells' line about cooking and needing to select the ingredients is bullshit. Bull. Shit.

It's absolute bullshit, most coaches have no idea about players. A GM, at least a good GM is smart enough to realize he knows more about the players than the coach does and the scouts know even more..you listen to the people that know.

Meanwhile Bill Parcells goes and drafts Bobby Carpenter cause he coached his dad.