ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Birthday Best Beginner Electric Guitar? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228027)

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750521)
He'd sound like Zakk Wylde no matter what you plugged him into. What I don't get is why so many people like his tone. But then again I don't like boosting and I hate stereo chorus sounds....Also I get it, you like pinch harmonics. Cool, that's enough!

Talented guy though.

Well, I love pinch harmonics. Though I am more partial to their use as applied by Lynch and Satriani. And he had a good sound with his 1st round with Ozzy. His sound in this clip from BLC was just so overly prorcessed sounding it was not very appealing to me.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750527)
What? NO you did not (and FTR, it wasn't one incident).

That's as big an insult as you could possibly hurl upon someone that you've never seen or heard play outside of a record.

Dane, go back and read a little slower. I most certainly said Zak Wylde was a decent player.

You hurl insults at people you don't know all the time. So what's the dif?

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750521)
He'd sound like Zakk Wylde no matter what you plugged him into. What I don't get is why so many people like his tone. But then again I don't like boosting and I hate stereo chorus sounds....Also I get it, you like pinch harmonics. Cool, that's enough!

Talented guy though.

I don't care for his "tone" because it's so processed.

I can't get into too much detail here (I prefer my identity stay private), Zakk used TWO Boss DS-1's in front of his JCM800 - one for rhythm and one for lead, along with TWO Dunlop Rotovibe's.

Jimmy Dunlap and I freakin' drank our asses off in Vegas one night and the punchline was always "Two ROTOVIBES!".

My wife didn't think it was so funny.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750531)
Dane, go back and read a little slower. I most certainly said Zak Wylde was a decent player.

You hurl insults at people you don't know all the time. So what's the dif?

You said he was decent, then said he probably sucked when not plugged into a Marshall.

Yeah, that's quite an endorsement.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750532)
I don't care for his "tone" because it's so processed.

I can't get into too much detail here (I prefer my identity stay private), Zakk used TWO Boss DS-1's in front of his JCM800 - one for rhythm and one for lead, along with TWO Dunlop Rotovibe's.

Jimmy Dunlap and I freakin' drank our asses off in Vegas last night and the punchline was always "Two ROTOVIBES!".

My wife didn't think it was so funny.

I liked the Metaltronix amps he used on No Rest for the Wicked. He had a good thick tone that didn't sound so processed on that album.

Huffman83 05-10-2010 11:32 PM

I hear his tone and just hear that high end haze no matter what era. But then again...tone isn't everything, but it helps.

I don't however imagine him being able to ping his way through a set with a twin and a strat.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750535)
You said he was decent, then said he probably sucked when not plugged into a Marshall.

Yeah, that's quite an endorsement.

I said he probably wouldn't sound as good if he WAS plugged into a standard Marshall stack. I could be wrong. It's just my experience that when someone uses such a processed sound like he does there is a reason.

Then again I had a guitar teacher friend of mine swear Zak was better than Satriani. I will disagree with that but to each their own, I guess.

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750541)
I hear his tone and just hear that high end haze no matter what era. But then again...tone isn't everything, but it helps.

I don't however imagine him being able to ping his way through a set with a twin and a strat.

Well in this clip I saw he was even using active pickups. I cringe at those. Hate em'! Now, I like hot pickups, I have a Duncan Invader in my Ibanez, which used to be anyway the hottest pickup you could use without going active. Just something about plugging batteries into a guitar that rubs me the wrong way.

Huffman83 05-10-2010 11:35 PM

It's weird...If you told me someones rig was a JCM 800 w/ 6550 power tubes, boosted w/ an OD with a wah, rotovibe and chorus pedal. I wouldn't think it would sound processed.

Then tell me I had to use EMG's in a Les Paul...then I might understand.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750543)
I said he probably wouldn't sound as good. I could be wrong. It's just my experience that when someone uses such a processed sound like he does there is a reason.

Then again I had a guitar teacher friend of mine swear Zak was better than Satriani. I will disagree with that but to each their own, I guess.

No, Zakk is nowhere near the player of Satriani. Not even close.

He's a redundant, pentatonic player with a history of constantly repeating himself.

He's not even close technically (or creatively) to Randy Rhodes or Jake (who was a ****ing monster player), let alone a genius like Satch.

That guy was either pulling your leg or a ****ing idiot.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750538)
I liked the Metaltronix amps he used on No Rest for the Wicked. He had a good thick tone that didn't sound so processed on that album.

I hate Lee Jackson more than you can imagine

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750548)
It's weird...If you told me someones rig was a JCM 800 w/ 6550 power tubes, boosted w/ an OD with a wah, rotovibe and chorus pedal. I wouldn't think it would sound processed.

I'd be very surprised if Zak Wylde wasn't running some heavy compression in his chain somewhere.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 6750548)

TWO DS-1's (not OD-1's) and TWO Rotovibes.

That's a lot of shit.

And I am no fan of EMG's.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6750553)
I'd be very surprised if Zak Wylde wasn't running some heavy compression in his chain somewhere.

Nope, just the distortion pedals

petegz28 05-10-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6750550)
I hate Lee Jackson more than you can imagine

Yea but that was a good thick sound. Although he did dub his rythms 4 times over on that album too.