ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ESPN: Rank Top NFL Running Backs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231088)

TheGuardian 07-25-2010 09:46 PM

I agree with Billay. A guy without a full season can't be the best at his position.

However, Charles doesn't need to have 5 great seasons to prove he's the best either. With the running back position you generally can play or not. You don't need years to establish yourself like at WR or QB. Charles has all of the skills to be the best, he just needs to prove it this year. He doesn't need to prove it year after year after year. Other positions? Yeah. Running back? No. Backs can come in and dominate as rookies because it is an instinctive position, like linebacker on defense. So if Charles comes out and blows everyone away this year it's not out of line to talk about him as the best back in the league AT THE MOMENT.

CoMoChief 07-25-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 6897778)
Id rather he stay underrated.

It will hurt more for opposing defenses that way.

Why because defenses read reeruned articles and rankings from ESPN sites?

These rankings don't mean shit. Since JC started, the only RB in the league that compared to him was Chris Johnson from TEN.

milkman 07-25-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 6898183)
I agree with Billay. A guy without a full season can't be the best at his position.

However, Charles doesn't need to have 5 great seasons to prove he's the best either. With the running back position you generally can play or not. You don't need years to establish yourself like at WR or QB. Charles has all of the skills to be the best, he just needs to prove it this year. He doesn't need to prove it year after year after year. Other positions? Yeah. Running back? No. Backs can come in and dominate as rookies because it is an instinctive position, like linebacker on defense. So if Charles comes out and blows everyone away this year it's not out of line to talk about him as the best back in the league AT THE MOMENT.

Uh....I've been making this argument from the beginning of the thread.

It's the reason, I believe, someone said that billay was reposting.

Titty Meat 07-25-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6898194)
Uh....I've been making this argument from the beginning of the thread.

It's the reason, I believe, someone said that billay was reposting.

Sorry man I should read all the pages.

KCrockaholic 07-25-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6898175)
How are you still alive?

A guy who hasn't played a full season can't be considered the best RB in football. You all are ****ing morons.

I never said he was the best runningback in football. Pull your head out of your ass.

I made a joking statement, about Jamaal single handedly beating the Cornhuskers.

Tribal Warfare 07-25-2010 10:23 PM

Who ****ing cares dude, the only thing that matters is he keeps producing like he did during the second half of the season.

Consistent1 07-25-2010 10:41 PM

I hope he doesn't have to look all that great this year. With TJ being a solid proven vet, that will take pressure off. Should both be able to rock if the offense can start finding ways to make the opposing D have genuine concerns about stopping it. A lot of this rating shit is fantasy football stuff. Where are the Colts and Saints RB's ranked there? Charles is a special player regardless.

King_Chief_Fan 07-26-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 6897767)
Jamaal Charles is ranked 14th out of 15 running backs. Only Knowshon Moreno is ranked lower. It is clear that a lot of people have not watched Charles play yet. Help him out!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank...d=3&listId=343

Really? He has had one good year. Jones was acquired for a reason.

TheGuardian 07-26-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 6898408)
Really? He has had one good year. Jones was acquired for a reason.

How many good years has Cedrick Benson had?

HemiEd 07-26-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 6897822)
My ratings:
1. Chris Johnson
2. Jamaal Charles
3. Adrian Peterson
4. DeAngelo Williams
5. Ray Rice
6. Maurice Jones-Drew
7. Steven Jackson
8. Frank Gore
9. Michael Turner
10. Jonathan Stewart
11. Rashard Mendenhall
12. Ricky Williams
13. Cedric Benson
14. Ryan Grant
15. Knowshon Moreno

I like Charles, and am sure no expert. But I would take Adrian Peterson anyday, ahead of Charles.

vailpass 07-26-2010 09:21 AM

Some of you guys are so desperate it's funny.

OnTheWarpath15 07-26-2010 11:16 AM

Christ, this looks like a WPI thread.

Dude's had 5 great games against run defenses ranked 26th or worse.

Let's make sure he can repeat that for a full season, against all opponents before we crown his ass.

I think the kid has all the potential in the world - have since he was drafted - but some of you are being ridiculous.

LaChapelle 07-26-2010 11:24 AM

Baited for Rainbows
and caught gars

Wallcrawler 07-26-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 6898120)
All right, you take your fumbles, I'll take my 6 yards per carry.

K. Ill also take the 18 TDs and the fear he puts into a defense.

I don't know what's so crazy about thinking Charles is one of the best (if not the best) back in the NFL. He ran for nearly 6 yards per carry behind the same offensive line that Larry Johnson repeatedly ran up the ass of.

So simply having better vision, and work ethic than Larry Johnson makes you contender for best back in the league? Heh. When did that happen?

LJ got paid, and he quit. My little sister could get more than the paltry 2.4 ypc that Johnson mustered up.

Charles is a phenomenal player. It has nothing to do with homer goggles. It's not like he's Greg Hill or something.

He shows some promise. He was an exciting player on an otherwise abysmal team. I like the guy too, but best back in the league?

Look at who he faced. He exploded in 3 of those last 4 games for sure.

The defenses he faced though? Garbage.

143 yards against the 30th ranked Buffalo Bills.

154 yards against the 28th ranked Cleveland Browns

102 yards against the 7th ranked Cincinnati Bengals -respectable.

259 yards against the 26th ranked Denver Broncos, a team that he only mustered 56 yards against at Arrowhead.

His only other 100 yard performance came against the 29th ranked Chokeland Raiders.

Against top defenses, he got 58 yards against the 3rd ranked Steelers and the aforementioned 102 against the 7th ranked Bengals.

Sorry, but his ypc is skewed by the big games he had against garbage teams. Against decent rush defenses, Charles is an average back.

Things like Phenomenal, and best back in the league have to be backed up with dominating performances against good teams, as well as the trash teams.

Havent seen it yet.

Hopefully with a shored up O-line and some new toys on offense, the passing game can help Charles perform better against those stout defenses. But to call him the #2 back at this point is teh homerism.

HemiEd 07-26-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChapelle (Post 6898792)
Baited for Rainbows
and caught gars

Very profound, and true.