ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs just more speculation about RGIII (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256587)

splatbass 02-28-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8405817)
I'd give either Carr OR Bowe in a tag/trade deal along with the whole 2012 draft to move up if that's what it takes.

And that is why you aren't an NFL GM.

aturnis 02-28-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8405824)
So my question is......what would be the feeling about Pioli if he:

1. Let Carr walk.
2. Franchised Bowe
3. Traded Bowe, our 1st this year and a 1st next year for RGIII.

I would think the best deal for both us and them would be for us to tag and trade them Carr, our 1st/3rd/5th...

You'd have to assume we'll probably get some compensatory picks for Orton and Shaun Smith, so losing the 3rd/5th is not that bad. We'd get at least one of them back. Also, we can't keep both Bowe and Carr, so pay Bowe, tag/trade Carr, otherwise we'll just let him go. In all actuality, we're really only out the difference between our 3rd/5th, and what we receive for compensatory picks.

If they like, they can stay put and finally get a LT to protect Bradford, which might help more than a WR. Or, they can use some of their bounty to trade back up to get Blackmon if they like.

I used to be iffy on RG3. Them more I've watched him, and the more I've followed him from interviews, combine and other such things, the less questions I have about the guy. I think he's worth it.

chiefzilla1501 02-28-2012 06:57 PM

I can't stand the Philip Rivers Eli Manning argument.
1) The Chargers gave up a first, second, third, and fifth round pick. That's one draft. If the rumors are true about Washington's compensation, the Chiefs will need to sacrifice two drafts to get him.
2) The Chargers moved up from #1 to #4. The Chiefs would need to move up from #11 to #2 AND they would need to out-compete several suitors with much better draft positions than we have
3) Look, RGIII is a great prospect. But he's not even close to Eli Manning coming out of college. Eli was an NFL-ready QB with the right frame. RGIII has largely operated off a pre-designed read offense and arguably might be slightly short for the position. Eli was even higher touted than Andrew Luck.
4) The Chargers knew if they traded down, they'd have the opportunity to draft Big Ben or Rivers. The Rams, if they traded down to us, would go from being able to draft an elite WR or elite LT, to an elite RT (a position that would often go in the 20's in many drafts)

The Chiefs are going to give up a whole lot more for RGIII than the Chargers did. They'd be doing it for a QB that is very good but isn't the surefire elite QB Eli or Luck are. And they're doing it against a whole lot more competition in a draft where outside of the top 10, you see a very significant drop in talent.

Lightrise 02-28-2012 06:58 PM

I think the price is getting too high...take Richardson and try to pick up Weeden or Cousins and next year make the play for a QB and dump Dorsey in the deal.

chiefzilla1501 02-28-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8405973)
No idea how that relates to Baldwin, who has shown precious little in KC, other than a great catch that was called back.

As for Jackson/Sanchez, it would be that TJ ends up being the better of these two. However, once Pioli made the move to Cassel, I think the selection should have been Raji, and it should have been a no-brainer.

Yes, I think the selection should have been Raji too. And Baldwin, it's way too soon to know what we would have gotten. But I think the point is whether we should take a risk on a QB. Yes, we should. Yes, we should be aggressive. But imagine if we traded two whole drafts to get Sanchez. There is definitely a limit to how much trade comp you give up. Frankly, I think the Rivers-Eli trade comp is a pretty good ceiling.

Okie_Apparition 02-28-2012 07:02 PM

Adam the reerun Shefter started the Manning/Rivers trade comparison
Two highly touted QBs were swoped with draft picks thrown in

chiefzilla1501 02-28-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8405924)
If RGIII gets us to the playoffs (or close)...our 1st round pick next year will be worth dick.

I would give up our 1st and 2nd picks this year and our 1st next year to get RGIII.

That trade comp is a joke.

That trade comp is a 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick less than the Rivers-Eli trade. And that comp was for a better QB, for only a 3-slot trade up, in a class where the trading party could easily land a good QB at #4 after a trade down, in an era when #1 QBs were less valuable because they were guaranteed monstrous contracts many teams didn't want to take on.

The comp has to match the Rivers-Eli trade, and then it has to add several big picks to that.

DeezNutz 02-28-2012 07:03 PM

Eli was not more highly touted than Luck, who has no benefit of name recognition/pedigree.

Valiant 02-28-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 8405804)
As you know, NFL players are one snap away from their careers being over. The time to trade your entire draft+ for one player is NEVER. There is way too much risk involved.
Posted via Mobile Device

I disagree, especially in todays NFL for teams that are built for a run with players in place..

Now teams that are weak in mulitple areas yes, it is bad..

Okie_Apparition 02-28-2012 07:07 PM

& Rivers was drafted a Giant
probably by the Chargers' request

chiefzilla1501 02-28-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8405995)
Eli was not more highly touted than Luck, who has no benefit of name recognition/pedigree.

I think the point to be made is that Eli and Luck would at least be a head-to-head for the #1 pick. RGIII would not even come close to competing with either of those guys.

It doesn't make RGIII a bad player. But he's not nearly as valuable going into the draft as Eli was, which means his trade comp shouldn't exceed Eli's.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-28-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8405817)
If your goal is to win one or more CHAMPIONSHIPS, the risk is higher for NOT doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to get a bluechip quarterback prospect.

Go, look up how much NY gave up for Eli.

2 superbowls, so far.

I'd give either Carr OR Bowe in a tag/trade deal along with the whole 2012 draft to move up if that's what it takes.We aren't gonna win a ****ing thing with Cassel.

I hate this ! But it's right on!

aturnis 02-28-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8406002)
I think the point to be made is that Eli and Luck would at least be a head-to-head for the #1 pick. RGIII would not even come close to competing with either of those guys.

It doesn't make RGIII a bad player. But he's not nearly as valuable going into the draft as Eli was, which means his trade comp shouldn't exceed Eli's.

Really? RG3 is only not being picked #1 b/c Luck is considered the safest, surest thing at QB since Elway. RG3 is VERY impressive and I think he'd give Manning a run for his money for the #1 pick easy.

qabbaan 02-28-2012 07:38 PM

1. There is no way in hell Pioli would outbid the Redskins for this pick.

2. You maybe trade a whole draft for Luck. Not for RG3.

3. Cassel is going to start in 2012. It's time we all accepted it.

4. Cassel is probably going to start in 2013, too.

5. The "competition" will be a sham.

aturnis 02-28-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8406071)
1. There is no way in hell Pioli would outbid the Redskins for this pick.

2. You maybe trade a whole draft for Luck. Not for RG3.

3. Cassel is going to start in 2012. It's time we all accepted it.

4. Cassel is probably going to start in 2013, too.

5. The "competition" will be a sham.

Sounds like Pioli is very impressed with RG3 to me.

Quote:

Barring some miracle, the Chiefs, picking 11th, won't have the chance to choose either Luck or Griffin; the pair is likely to go one-two in the first round of the draft on April 26. But that didn't stop Pioli from dreaming after he and his staff interviewed the two prospects back-to-back. "Never mind drafting these guys," Pioli said. "I wish my daughter would marry one of 'em."