ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Colorado, kayaking, rafting, and camping advice... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260277)

Donger 06-07-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8666050)
Hanger lake hike looks pretty sweet. But it's a paved trail? Not exactly what I'm thinking if I want to go to Colorado for a hike.

Hanging Lake. If you see it, you'll understand the name.

It depends on what you mean by paved. The start of the hike is really quite rough, with huge granite blocks that you have to climb over. After that, it's pretty much a dirt trail until you get to the ascent up to the lake, which is now Trex decking stuff. Only a few hundred yards of that.

But, no, you aren't hacking down pines or anything. It's a very well-traveled hike.

crazycoffey 06-07-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8665713)
No such place.

oops. Horse tooth

BigRichard 06-07-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 8665930)
I'm a white water freak, have owned my own river rafts, w/w kayaks. it's a dangerous sport for beginners unless you are up for it and use a guide service. you'll have teriffic fun on class II & class III rapids, the guide will put you in and take you out the right areas of the river for this type fun.

w/w kayak i recommend taking the class where you'll learn to roll etc in water. you need to know how to do this if you want to ww kayak or you are asking for trouble.

river rafting is fun too, with a guide until you have navigational experience. need big water for the good fun, but it's a great "group" experience. y'all learn to "team" it. and, of course it is a drier experience than w/w kayaking is.

Excellent information. Thanks.

scorpio 06-07-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 8666112)
oops. Horse tooth

I wasn't picking on your spelling. There is no Horsetooth Canyon. Maybe you mean Rist Canyon? Or Poudre Canyon?

NewChief 06-07-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8666215)
I wasn't picking on your spelling. There is no Horsetooth Canyon. Maybe you mean Rist Canyon? Or Poudre Canyon?

I think he's just talking about the Horse Tooth formation just west of Fort Collins. No rafting there, but there is nice hiking and climbing. Could also kayak on the reservoir, I suppose.

crazycoffey 06-07-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8666390)
I think he's just talking about the Horse Tooth formation just west of Fort Collins. No rafting there, but there is nice hiking and climbing. Could also kayak on the reservoir, I suppose.

I remember calling it horsetooth canyon, it's actually called horsetooth reservoir, a beautiful area to visit, hike, camp fish in colorado. I was 14 when I was last there, but I forgot it's more important to cherry pick technicallities on CP. And since I was talking to the OP here's more information. I am sooo sorry scorpio, sorry you have nothing better to do.....

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/Horsetooth.htm

NewChief 06-07-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 8666487)
I remember calling it horsetooth canyon, it's actually called horsetooth reservoir, a beautiful area to visit, hike, camp fish in colorado. I was 14 when I was last there, but I forgot it's more important to cherry pick technicallities on CP. And since I was talking to the OP here's more information. I am sooo sorry scorpio, sorry you have nothing better to do.....

Give him an infraction. :p

scorpio 06-07-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 8666487)

Not sure why you're getting butthurtt, just don't want to send OP on a wild goose chase looking for the fictional Horsetooth Canyon.

I can see why people don't like you.

crazycoffey 06-08-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8666573)
Not sure why you're getting butthurtt, just don't want to send OP on a wild goose chase looking for the fictional Horsetooth Canyon.

I can see why people don't like you.

Right, cause I typed a search for horsetooth Colorado and saw just what I wanted to find. Big wild goose chase. Calling you an idiot is not me being butt hurt, and only idiots don't like me.

And newphin, I laughed....

BigRichard 06-08-2012 12:03 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice. Thanks.

007 06-08-2012 12:10 PM

Just got back from zip-lining at Devil's Thumb Ranch. Had fun but I guess I was expecting a bigger rush than what I got.

BigRichard 06-08-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8667517)
Just got back from zip-lining at Devil's Thumb Ranch. Had fun but I guess I was expecting a bigger rush than what I got.

Not to hijack my own thread but when I visited Mexico a couple of years ago we did some zip lines over some water that had crocs or alligators in it. I don't remember which. I ****ed up when I jumped off the launching point and flipped over backwards. Here I am hanging upside down over a bunch of reptiles hoping the harness holds. Luckily I got myself upright but I lost my brake so I came in the other side just flying. They had to deploy some sort of cushion thing on the line so I didn't snap my neck. Needless to say I had to clean out my shorts a little bit.

007 06-08-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 8667548)
Not to hijack my own thread but when I visited Mexico a couple of years ago we did some zip lines over some water that had crocs or alligators in it. I don't remember which. I ****ed up when I jumped off the launching point and flipped over backwards. Here I am hanging upside down over a bunch of reptiles hoping the harness holds. Luckily I got myself upright but I lost my brake so I came in the other side just flying. They had to deploy some sort of cushion thing on the line so I didn't snap my neck. Needless to say I had to clean out my shorts a little bit.

It helps to actually hold on to your harness before you jump you know. :thumb:

Glad you came out without injury.