ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Looking for a good juicer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260684)

chiefzilla1501 01-02-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10329244)
not sure why anyone would want a true juicer

Isn't most of the healthy stuff in the pulp etc?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't pulp fill you up fast? I think the benefit of a juicer is it allows you to take in a lot more fruits at once, therefore, you take in more good stuff. If that's the case, I've used a Hamilton Beech $100 model. Not as good as the top-notch stuff, but does it's job.

If you're looking for a blender, Vitamix is pretty badass but extremely expensive. Anyone use a Nutribullet? Feel like that does the trick really well for the cost, and I bet cleanup is super easy. I've never tried it but have heard good things.

GloryDayz 01-02-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10329607)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't pulp fill you up fast? I think the benefit of a juicer is it allows you to take in a lot more fruits at once, therefore, you take in more good stuff. If that's the case, I've used a Hamilton Beech $100 model. Not as good as the top-notch stuff, but does it's job.

If you're looking for a blender, Vitamix is pretty badass but extremely expensive. Anyone use a Nutribullet? Feel like that does the trick really well for the cost, and I bet cleanup is super easy. I've never tried it but have heard good things.

Well this is true! The number of apples I've had today is kinda crazy. Not to mention celery, kale, lemons, limes, spinich and carrots.

Mr. Laz 01-02-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

I would think for most people getting filled up would be a good thing. I don't know too many people that want/need to eat more.

full stomach = less appetite for eating crap

Fire Me Boy! 01-02-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10329666)
Well this is true! The number of apples I've had today is kinda crazy. Not to mention celery, kale, lemons, limes, spinich and carrots.

You're also consuming a ton more calories and sugar. Part of the fruit that's food for you IS the fiber.

ghak99 01-02-2014 10:04 PM

I've been wanting to get back to a breakfast or mid day smoothy. I quit because my blender, it's probably older than I am, was a pain in the ass to clean. I believe I still want all the pulp and good stuff, so a true juicer isn't what I want. I want something better than the horrible wet sawdust sludge texture you get from cheap blenders. I don't mind buying a quality machine if it's very easy to clean, but I'm not interested in spending $500 bucks for the one above.

Have any suggestions in the $150 to $250 range?

Fire Me Boy! 01-03-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 10329935)
I've been wanting to get back to a breakfast or mid day smoothy. I quit because my blender, it's probably older than I am, was a pain in the ass to clean. I believe I still want all the pulp and good stuff, so a true juicer isn't what I want. I want something better than the horrible wet sawdust sludge texture you get from cheap blenders. I don't mind buying a quality machine if it's very easy to clean, but I'm not interested in spending $500 bucks for the one above.

Have any suggestions in the $150 to $250 range?

I think you can find a Blendtec in the $200-$250 range, and they a tiny notch below the Vitamix.

scho63 01-03-2014 09:00 AM

Juicing is a scam.

You take in too many calories and sugar in liquid form. The best part of fruit and vegetables is the pulp and fiber in food form.

Your body metabolizes and utilizes food the best when eaten not drunken, and that's why vitamin water is a big waste of money. Your body excretes fluid through your kidneys and it does a poor job of absorbing nutrients and vitamins. You waste 85-90% of useful nutrients when you drink them vs eating.

Save your money and eat your fruit and veggies

Donger 01-03-2014 10:09 AM

My wife has a Vitamix and loves it. It is louder than an Apollo V though

Omaha 01-03-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8690927)
Anybody here use juicers? I've become interested in them as of late as a way to jump start getting back to being healthy.

I get home from work generally in the middle of the night, and catch an infomercial on a juicer that is compact and can pulverize anything you put in it, but I didn't catch the name of the product. Anyone know the name of this thing, or use one they really like?

I would skip the extractor type juicers & get a Ninja. It pulverizes everything we put in it. I love that thing.

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10331030)
Juicing is a scam.

You take in too many calories and sugar in liquid form. The best part of fruit and vegetables is the pulp and fiber in food form.

Your body metabolizes and utilizes food the best when eaten not drunken, and that's why vitamin water is a big waste of money. Your body excretes fluid through your kidneys and it does a poor job of absorbing nutrients and vitamins. You waste 85-90% of useful nutrients when you drink them vs eating.

Shit. Well, good to know.

Fire Me Boy! 01-03-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10331168)
I would skip the extractor type juicers & get a Ninja. It pulverizes everything we put in it. I love that thing.

Reported.

Fire Me Boy! 01-03-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10331159)
My wife has a Vitamix and loves it. It is louder than an Apollo V though

I'll never own a non-Vitamix again. I love mine.

Predarat 01-03-2014 10:49 AM

The biggest thing with Juicers is you have to buy a ton of fruit/veggies to get a half assed glass of juice. It works OK in the short term but that can add up.

Mr. Laz 01-03-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10329244)
not sure why anyone would want a true juicer

Isn't most of the healthy stuff in the pulp etc?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10331030)
Juicing is a scam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10331178)
Shit. Well, good to know.

bastard

Bowser 01-03-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10331168)

This is what I ended up doing. That thing just mashes up everything I put in there. It would likely pulverize a Miata if given a chance.

The wife has an Omega juicer. She loves it. It helps that we belong to a CSA and get a metric ****ton of veggies in season. The pulp adds up and can be messy, though.