ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Man spends a day without a cell phone in NYC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264278)

Dayze 09-27-2012 07:25 AM

no problem.
it would be a relief

Rausch 09-27-2012 07:57 AM

Never owned a cell phone - never will.

I wouldn't have a home phone if work didn't require it...

luv 09-27-2012 07:59 AM

Just spent five days without a cell phone OR internet last week.

Graystoke 09-27-2012 08:07 AM

Got back from Trout Fishing Wyoming last week. Didn't have service for a week, and the only thing I missed was making sure everyone back home was ok.
Other then that I didn't miss it a bit

Fish 09-27-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8952795)
We have two Voip lines because we don't get even close to a solid cell reception in our home. Plus, I like having a wireless phone in nearly every room. I'd lose my cell and miss an important calls for one reason or another.

All of this and more. I can't imagine not having a cell in Los Angeles and I don't think I've forgotten to take my cell with me when I leave the house in over a decade.

I would venture to guess that's a big part of the reason why you have problems with your battery life on your phone. It sounds like you're in a location where your phone is constantly searching for a network, or possibly right between 2 different networks. That really overworks your phone. When your phone can't consistently stay on one network, it usually works itself twice as hard. I bet if you switched carriers, you'd notice an improvement with the same phone...

Inspector 09-27-2012 10:00 AM

I have a few phones but they are all connected by a wire to the phone jacks in my house. Some have rotary dials.

I get along just fine. Don't miss what I never had.

Inspector 09-27-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8952725)
Do any of you still have land lines?

That is our issue, we got rid of ours about three years ago.

Yes. They are free.

Man, I love free.

Frosty 09-27-2012 10:06 AM

We only have a land line because our ISP/phone company requires it to have their DSL. Otherwise, I'd be saving the $25/month.

suds79 09-27-2012 10:10 AM

I have days where I don't use my phone at all.

While I do have online access with it, it's not that great.

I once thought about upgrading and getting a smart phone but then realized why? So I can check work emails anytime? Awesome. Can't wait to do that. ;)

So I can browse the web on a 4 inch screen? Nah I think In can wait until I get home or at work.

If I'm out and about and need to look up a location or phone # to a place I can do that but other then that? Not really needed IMO.

In short, completing this experiment would be all to easy for me.

vailpass 09-27-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8953051)
It's a tourist trap but it's a tourist trap 10 minutes away from God's land in every direction. Someone has to bring in the bucks. :D

I was just kidding. Durango is God's country. The Strater is as good a place to stay as you could want. Silverton is God's country as well.

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8954000)
I would venture to guess that's a big part of the reason why you have problems with your battery life on your phone. It sounds like you're in a location where your phone is constantly searching for a network, or possibly right between 2 different networks. That really overworks your phone. When your phone can't consistently stay on one network, it usually works itself twice as hard. I bet if you switched carriers, you'd notice an improvement with the same phone...

I'm sure you're right. But we just signed with Sprint in January with the employee rate and we really didn't get "great" reception in our home with T-Mobile. Verizon was even worse.

"Supposedly", Sprint is aware that their network sucks and plan to upgrade it soon in Los Angeles. We'll see...

vailpass 09-27-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8954589)
I'm sure you're right. But we just signed with Sprint in January with the employee rate and we really didn't get "great" reception in our home with T-Mobile. Verizon was even worse.

"Supposedly", Sprint is aware that their network sucks and plan to upgrade it soon in Los Angeles. We'll see...

They've been telling us that in Phoenix for 10 years. We don't even have 4G FFS. They used to charge us $10/month for each smart phone as a "4G surcharge" even though we don't have it. One day it changed to a "data surcharge".
We have 4 4G phones and 1 LTE phone but no 4G/LTE service.

Still, I like Sprint and haven't changed. Best all-in-one data plan out there.

Kerberos 09-27-2012 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8954589)

Dane

If you have issues with signal inside the house then you might want to call Sprint Customer Support and ask for a Airvanna that hooks through your home network and boosts signal to your cell phone.

I works pretty good.

My wife and I went back to Sprint for our Cell phones and inside the house we got no signal and is was so weak it kept dropping calls.

After an hour with customer support I told them I wanted out of my contract if they couldn't give me better support inside my home. They agreed to send me this free of charge... setting it up is a whole other story about how crappy tier1 support is for Sprint. Tier 2 will at least listen to you. :)

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 8954953)
Dane

If you have issues with signal inside the house then you might want to call Sprint Customer Support and ask for a Airvanna that hooks through your home network and boosts signal to your cell phone.

I works pretty good.

My wife and I went back to Sprint for our Cell phones and inside the house we got no signal and is was so weak it kept dropping calls.

After an hour with customer support I told them I wanted out of my contract if they couldn't give me better support inside my home. They agreed to send me this free of charge... setting it up is a whole other story about how crappy tier1 support is for Sprint. Tier 2 will at least listen to you. :)

Thanks, Dude. They actually sent me one back in January but it was cancelling the signal from my wireless router and wireless boosters throughout the house. Sprint support was awful, so it's boxed up and sitting in the garage.

I'll ask for Tier 2 support when I get a chance.

:thumb:

Kerberos 09-27-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8954955)
Thanks, Dude. They actually sent me one back in January but it was cancelling the signal from my wireless router and wireless boosters throughout the house. Sprint support was awful, so it's boxed up and sitting in the garage.

I'll ask for Tier 2 support when I get a chance.

:thumb:

Actually I had the same problem that if you hook this thing up the way THEY tell you to it wouldn't pass traffic to my home router and Tier 1 tried telling me it was on Cox's side.

I told tier 1 till I was blue in the face that my home network was fine till I hooked up their box the way it was in the instructions. I twas NOT a Cox problem but their units problem. It won't pass traffic to your home network.

Well long story short... If you didn't try to hook this thing up DIRECTLY to your router or home network interface and turn it on.....that is what I would try if I were you.

Once it came up (took like an hour for the GPS pinpoint it's location) it works great and my home network is unaffected by the booster.

Hope this helps.