ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Do you care about player safety? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269364)

Buck 01-27-2013 01:25 PM

To be fair, keg, the QB is the only player on the field that the defense is trying to tackle on every single play.

Shaid 01-27-2013 01:48 PM

I'm somewhere between 1 and 2. Some rules are just stupid, others make a little more sense.

jspchief 01-27-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9354888)
I will care more about player safety when the players start caring more about player safety.

Exactly. If they're willing to risk it for money, why wouldn't I be willing to let them for entertainment?

Too dangerous? Go be an accountant and live in the real world with us schmucks.

Rambozo 01-27-2013 02:06 PM

The rougher the better. They are modern day gladiators no different than MMA fighters or boxers. All of these rules just further pussify America imo. It's like the rubber on the playgrounds and the laws requiring bicycle helmets.

This is about money. If the league had taken care of their players off the field all along, they wouldn't be getting sued every day. I am for keeping it rough but the NFL paying their medical bills until death.

just my ten cents.

Easy 6 01-27-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9354472)
in the future football will be played only by death row convicts trying to win their freedom

TO THE DEATH

DEATHBALL 3000

LMAO

FRCDFED 01-27-2013 02:23 PM

I care about their safety only from the standpoint that I don't want to see them injured but that's as fa as it goes. The risk of injury is what agents have used to drive up salaries and ticket prices. That is why they get paid so much to play a game. You can't take all that money knowing the risks and then bitch and whine after the fact because you suffered an injury! Now go play ball you whiney bitches or become an accountant and play it safe!

DonkyPuncher 01-28-2013 08:53 PM

Just seems like anytime there is a hard hit legal or not a flag follows, that's what pisses me off..

DonkyPuncher 01-28-2013 08:54 PM

and the defenseless receiver penalty has got to go imo.

crispystl 01-28-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 9354697)
i have a idea to make players helmet have pad that inflate and when you get hit hard the pad deflated and soften the blow.

Gump, you must be a goddamned genius!

Hammock Parties 01-28-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9354472)
in the future football will be played only by death row convicts trying to win their freedom

TO THE DEATH

DEATHBALL 3000

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...review-620.jpg

Xanathol 01-28-2013 11:30 PM

I've got a split bone at the top of my left tibia, stretched ligaments and conditions in both hands that make gripping painful such that I cannot stand to hold anything for more than ~30 seconds in either hand, bone spurs in my lower back, and the worse - a bulging C6 disc in my neck ( think Peyton Manning injury ) that causes nerve spasms, loss of strength, and constant pain in both arms and my neck... all attributed to football.

Like every other player I knew the risks. And like most every other player, I'd do it all over again too.

The lawsuits are money grabs while feigning some hidden agenda that 'kept the risks from them'. Of course, on the flip-side, the rule changes to 'make the game safer', as well as the witch hunt performed on the Saints this season, are nothing more than empty gestures to use against those same lawsuits ( while upping offensive production, knowing full & well that scoring attracts more casual fans, ie. higher revenues ), so I guess they equal each other out in the end - we just get stuck with a crappier product to watch.

PaulAllen 01-28-2013 11:34 PM

Turn em and burn em

Rain Man 01-28-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 9354697)
i have a idea to make players helmet have pad that inflate and when you get hit hard the pad deflated and soften the blow.

I think uniforms should come equipped with side impact air bags. But not if the player is carrying a child under the age of two.

cdcox 01-28-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9354900)
yep
absolutely

Meh, I don't mind the new turf. As shitty as fields look today I think they should all change to turf now.

Back on point though, just watching the old superbowls on NFL network yesterday reminded me just how much the game has changed and how nobody really tackles anymore. Of course, a lot of those tackles would be illegal now but shit, it was so much more interesting back then.

Turf is definitely part of it. Turf makes players run faster, more momentum, more danger. The game would be safer if they played on grass and mudded it up a bit to slow everyone down.

Rain Man 01-28-2013 11:58 PM

I wonder about the rules changes that tilt the game toward passing. Pass plays seem to produce the biggest hits as receivers get nailed and as the quarterback occasionally gets blind-sided. Additionally, the rules that force DBs to lay off WRs means that the best way to break up a play is to put a safety in the path of the receiver to blow him up. With bump and run coverage you probably won't get as many brutal hits.

So the NFL seems to think that passing plays are marketing gold. But what if those plays cause more injuries? Should we go back to the rules of the 1950s?