ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Housing market is down? LOL, yeah right. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272824)

BigRedChief 05-06-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9662325)
It takes me about 3 hours to get to St Pete. I have relatives int Treasure Island and St Pete and I visit there quite a bit. For whatever reason, the same house that I bought in Orange Park/Jacksonville goes for about 200-250k in St Pete. I like that area but no way can I afford to buy a house there. Tampa may be a little cheaper but I haven't looked there.

I bought a house on the water with a pool, jacuzzi and boat dock for the same mortgage that I had in Lees Summit, Mo. Now I have additional expenses of pool, boat dock upkeep, increased property taxes and flood/hurricane insurance but thats not a deal breaker financially for most people. Its still doable for anyone who would like to give up the snow/ice for the beaches. Mostly due to the low interest rates so if your thinking, pull the trigger.

Valiant 05-06-2013 02:44 PM

Depends on the house and location. My house bought this year I got for 30k under value. Two neighborhoods over they are selling at or over.

Spott 05-06-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9662448)
I bought a house on the water with a pool, jacuzzi and boat dock for the same mortgage that I had in Lees Summit, Mo. Now I have additional expenses of pool, boat dock upkeep, increased property taxes and flood/hurricane insurance but thats not a deal breaker financially for most people. Its still doable for anyone who would like to give up the snow/ice for the beaches. Mostly due to the low interest rates so if your thinking, pull the trigger.

I like it there but for whatever reason I could never find a decent job in Tampa/St Pete. The condos are really cheap up here too, but I didn't want to pay cash for a place and turn around and have to pay 300 or more a month to a condo assocation. You can get a 1800-2000sf home up here with a pool for about 110-120K max. For now I'll just stick to going down to Treasure Island every few weekends to visit relatives.

I bought my first house in Lee's Summit back in 96 for about 75K which was right before Lee's Summit really started booming and became Missouri's version of Overland Park.

Seanathon 05-06-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9661752)
Here's an example.......
List of deposits into your accounts in the last 30 days. Reasonable and easy to get. Give them the bank statement.

But noooooo

We need to know who the deposited money was from and for what. Give them a description of where the money came from with deposit numbers/dates

But nooooooooo

We need photocopies of the actual deposits. Had to go to the bank and get them and then fax the copies of the actual deposits.

Then they were satisfied with that one piece of info.

This, 100% this. Bought a house 1 year ago

Them: "Where did that random $5,000 come from?????"
Me: "Isn't that a good thing, not a bad thing?"
Them: "Why is there more than one request for credit in the last month?"
Me: "Because I'm a smart shopper and don't go to 1 mortgage company and say okie dokie"
Them: "Nooo that is blah blah"

I almost don't ever want to buy a new house now. I'm sure I will in 5ish years but I would like to avoid any crazy lenders.

Rain Man 05-06-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9662288)
The HUD lists are a real racket for shysters. Same with short sale and foreclosure lists. Here's the website I had bookmarked as the official HUD site. Never really found anything or any solid leads.
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...homes_for_sale

Hmm. There's a condo that's only about three blocks from my house, but it's not a steal by any means. Their stated price is more than the appraised value.

Spott 05-06-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanathon (Post 9662629)
This, 100% this. Bought a house 1 year ago

Them: "Where did that random $5,000 come from?????"
Me: "Isn't that a good thing, not a bad thing?"
Them: "Why is there more than one request for credit in the last month?"
Me: "Because I'm a smart shopper and don't go to 1 mortgage company and say okie dokie"
Them: "Nooo that is blah blah"

I almost don't ever want to buy a new house now. I'm sure I will in 5ish years but I would like to avoid any crazy lenders.

I went through that same crap. I was going to put down about 60-65K and get a mortgage of about 20 grand from the bank on a house that appraised for 113. They asked me all kinds of questions and assumed that since I had that much saved up that I would be like everyone else and wanting to buy a house for about 2-3 times what I was looking for. They couldn't understand why I wanted to be financially independent. I ended up just paying cash because every bank was a hassle.

BigRedChief 05-06-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9662561)
I bought my first house in Lee's Summit back in 96 for about 75K which was right before Lee's Summit really started booming and became Missouri's version of Overland Park.

Bet you made some good coin on that house.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9662561)
I like it there but for whatever reason I could never find a decent job in Tampa/St Pete. The condos are really cheap up here too, but I didn't want to pay cash for a place and turn around and have to pay 300 or more a month to a condo assocation. You can get a 1800-2000sf home up here with a pool for about 110-120K max.

damn thats cheap as hell. :thumb:

mdstu 05-06-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9662663)
Hmm. There's a condo that's only about three blocks from my house, but it's not a steal by any means. Their stated price is more than the appraised value.

HUD uses recent sale prices of similar properties in the area to come up with their listings. They just want to get as much money back as they can and usually ignore the fact that the house is in shambles. The trick to HUD houses is buying as an owner/occupant and pay cash. The house is normally listed for 2-3 weeks for owner/occupant only. It's a silent auction and if no one bids over their minimum they open the bidding to the investors/shysters. Bid low. Worst case scenario you piss off your RE agent.

I put in a low-ball offer on a house I liked and they took it.
$26,000 minus $2,600 first time home owner Obama bucks.
No more $1,000 rent. I am loving life.

Rain Man 05-06-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 9663466)
HUD uses recent sale prices of similar properties in the area to come up with their listings. They just want to get as much money back as they can and usually ignore the fact that the house is in shambles. The trick to HUD houses is buying as an owner/occupant and pay cash. The house is normally listed for 2-3 weeks for owner/occupant only. It's a silent auction and if no one bids over their minimum they open the bidding to the investors/shysters. Bid low. Worst case scenario you piss off your RE agent.

I put in a low-ball offer on a house I liked and they took it.
$26,000 minus $2,600 first time home owner Obama bucks.
No more $1,000 rent. I am loving life.

Oh, so you can bid lower than the price that's shown on the web site?

RINGLEADER 05-06-2013 08:00 PM

So I recently sold my primary house to someone who came to the door and paid my asking price (it wasn't listed).

I figure I'll go pay cash and quickly get into a slightly smaller joint now that it is just me and the wife.

First house I like I schedule an afternoon showing so the wife can see it. It sells for full price before she gets there.

Next house looks like a winner but the inspections show it is rotting from the inside-out and riddled with termites. So that's a pass (also explains why it has sold and unsold three times prior to me).

The next house is much like the first, although I get smart this time and offer $50K over the asking price. Someone else offered 100K over and got it.

So now I've got a bid on a place we both love. We come to find out that it is owned by a celebrity who practices Kabballah and she can't look at the contract until after Shabbat this weekend. Again, we offered a little under full, someone else offered full price, and now it is a bidding war.

So that's the market in S. California at the moment...

mdstu 05-06-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9663526)
Oh, so you can bid lower than the price that's shown on the web site?

Yeah, I think mine was listed at $33K and I bid $26K.
Remember that the houses are AS IS. No warranties.

BigRedChief 05-06-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9663554)
So I recently sold my primary house to someone who came to the door and paid my asking price (it wasn't listed).

I figure I'll go pay cash and quickly get into a slightly smaller joint now that it is just me and the wife.

First house I like I schedule an afternoon showing so the wife can see it. It sells for full price before she gets there.

Next house looks like a winner but the inspections show it is rotting from the inside-out and riddled with termites. So that's a pass (also explains why it has sold and unsold three times prior to me).

The next house is much like the first, although I get smart this time and offer $50K over the asking price. Someone else offered 100K over and got it.

So now I've got a bid on a place we both love. We come to find out that it is owned by a celebrity who practices Kabballah and she can't look at the contract until after Shabbat this weekend. Again, we offered a little under full, someone else offered full price, and now it is a bidding war.

So that's the market in S. California at the moment...

I had the same experience. Wanted the wife to see it in the afternoon, its gone. Lost several houses because we didn't move fast enough or offer full price. It's a big decision and a pile of money and you don't have time to consider an offer carefully or its gone.

ChiefsCountry 05-06-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 9663466)
Worst case scenario you piss off your RE agent.

I don't know why that would piss of an agent. It wouldn't me. I would like and its my duty to try to get full price, but you can only do what the buyer is willing.

mdstu 05-06-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9663616)
I don't know why that would piss of an agent. It wouldn't me. I would like and its my duty to try to get full price, but you can only do what the buyer is willing.

I say this because my agent showed us about 15 houses and then made $500 commission. After gas I'm sure she lost money on us.

Edit: After time and gas she definitely lost a lot of money on us.

ChiefsCountry 05-06-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 9663635)
I say this because my agent showed us about 15 houses and then made $500 commission. After gas I'm sure she lost money on us.

Edit: After time and gas she definitely lost a lot of money on us.

Meh. Thats real estate business for you. Its part of the job IMO.