ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

Rasputin 09-23-2013 07:19 AM

Sorry to break the news to you but the reason you can't grill a decent steak is because you're a Donko fan. Become a Chiefs fan and instantly grill a decent steak :D

Tribal Warfare 09-23-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010286)
8 oz ribeye, 10 oz boneless filet usually. They are thick, I don't know if they are overly thick...

Where do you live? Location is a big factor also if you want select cuts.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10010392)
Never have had a problem with cooking steaks on my grill. I use a charcoal grill. They always come out good. I didn't think you could screw them up other than burning or over cooking them.

I haven't been able to hit the perfect medium rare. They aren't screwed up but I want perfect.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10010406)
Where do you live? Location is a big factor also if you want select cuts.

I live in Scottsdale, AZ. We have a meat shop here that gets Iowa beef. I also order from the Amanda meat shop. You're right, the grocery stores here are not up to par for meat with Midwest stores.

BlackHelicopters 09-23-2013 07:24 AM

Eat mor chikin

stevieray 09-23-2013 07:24 AM

like chicken, the key is multiple flips...remember they will cook a litle extra once they are pulled from the grill.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10010402)
Sorry to break the news to you but the reason you can't grill a decent steak is because you're a Donko fan. Become a Chiefs fan and instantly grill a decent steak :D

I'm from Iowa, it should balance out:D

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 10010415)
like chicken, the key is multiple flips...remember they will cook a litle extra once they are pulled from the grill.

Thanks. The pull them early tip is one I will definitely use.

BigMeatballDave 09-23-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010413)
I live in Scottsdale, AZ. We have a meat shop here that gets Iowa beef. I also order from the Amanda meat shop. You're right, the grocery stores here are not up to par for meat with Midwest stores.

Iowa, Kansas, Texas. It's all the same.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10010423)

I like the corn fed beef.

Chief Roundup 09-23-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010408)
I haven't been able to hit the perfect medium rare. They aren't screwed up but I want perfect.

Ahh gotcha. I am not a blood eater. I do like mine pink though. To me the perfect is just less than 1/2 inch of pink in the middle. I normally flip my steaks, chicken and fish a lot compared to other things. I pull them and let them set for a little bit as I am usually finishing something else up. Evidently that was a good thing and I just didn't know it.

Tribal Warfare 09-23-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10010423)

Not if you can't pick it out directly from the butcher knowing the product your getting and the individual's stock.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10010429)
Ahh gotcha. I am not a blood eater. I do like mine pink though. To me the perfect is just less than 1/2 inch of pink in the middle. I normally flip my steaks, chicken and fish a lot compared to other things. I pull them and let them set for a little bit as I am usually finishing something else up. Evidently that was a good thing and I just didn't know it.

Yeah I'm gonna do the let it sit thing. Makes sense. Will grill my shrimp while waiting.
It's not like this is the most important thing in the world but it's irritating, you know?

Dayze 09-23-2013 07:34 AM

I'm sure there are a thousand ways to do so.
but I get the grill piping hot (I usually put the grate on as soon as the flames from the first light go out). before a toss them on , I clean the shit out of the grill (clean grills are happy grills). Then immediately before they go on, I slather a bunch of veggie oil on the grate via tongs and paper towels soaked in it in a bowl.

Toss the steaks on. depending on thickness, I'll sear for about a 1:30 - 2:00 minutes. . Then I do the other side.

then flip back, lid on, keeping the top vent slightly open (bottom vent full open). flip once more until just about where I want t them.

Rest the meat for 5-10 minutes. I also keep the oven on at about 250 just in case they steaks are tool cool after resting, I'll put them back in there for a few while I prepare the rest of my plate, or salad etc.

I know there is some unwritten rule out there about flipping once, but I've done it this way for years and have never had a dry steak - unless it's my own fault for overcooking etc. It's almost like clock work for me. Only time they don't come out the way I want is either a mistake on my end/not monitoring cooking time (ie...too much of a buzz), or if I'm cooking an unfamiliar cut of meat, or a thickness I'm not quite used to (NTTAWWT).

The reason I sear and flip, is to get both sides seared very well while the grill is white hot. My $.02.

ct 09-23-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010273)
Grilled steaks last night, they came out ok but not great. Good cuts of meat but they weren't juicy like a restaurant. I only turned them once, used high heat. I like them medium rate.
I have 2 grills, gas and infra red, just can't seem to get the perfect streak.
Anyone have any tips?

Medium heat, don't scorch the steaks unless you like it well done.

and pls don't marinate a ribeye or filet! rub/seasoning sure, no marinating, unless you're buying cheap crap it doesn't need marinating.