ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football AFCW: Week 4 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276607)

Mile High Mania 09-24-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10015016)
I'm not blaming Alex Smith. I think he's doing exactly what he's being asked to do.

Which is what exactly... win the game or don't lose the game? Big difference.

keg in kc 09-24-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 10015021)
Which is what exactly... win the game or don't lose the game? Big difference.

Right now I'm pretty sure it's don't lose. I think at some point it needs to shift to win.

(And don't misinterpret that as me assuming a lack of confidence in Smith by the coaching staff, I think there's more to it than that)

Lightrise 09-24-2013 10:06 AM

That last Giant game plus our win in Philly changed my perception on this game. I think the fans are in for a real treat on Sunday. Stadium will be loud and fun...It's a rare aligning of the stars here...Chiefs will light up the scoreboard, at least 30 point and the Giants will be fortunate to score 10. This will be a huge game in terms of confidence building. If they get out of this one with no serious injuries the season shapes up as very special. Now is the time to restore fully that arrowhead advantage. Marty should give Dorsey a call and tell him how useful the Arrowhead advantage can be...they need to feed the fans...and that means run up the score. I think it's possible.

Mile High Mania 09-24-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightrise (Post 10015027)
That last Giant game plus our win in Philly changed my perception on this game. I think the fans are in for a real treat on Sunday. Stadium will be loud and fun...It's a rare aligning of the stars here...Chiefs will light up the scoreboard, at least 30 point and the Giants will be fortunate to score 10. This will be a huge game in terms of confidence building. If they get out of this one with no serious injuries the season shapes up as very special. Now is the time to restore fully that arrowhead advantage. Marty should give Dorsey a call and tell him how useful the Arrowhead advantage can be...they need to feed the fans...and that means run up the score. I think it's possible.

Well hell, a 3-0 team at home vs an 0-3 team that got blown out by the Panthers a week ago and everyone here says they suck... I hope that's possible.

HemiEd 09-24-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

I'm not blaming Alex Smith. I think he's doing exactly what he's being asked to do.

I didn't intend to say you were keg, just commenting about my own thought pattern to date. I am trying as hard as I possibly can to be positive about Alex Smith and his potential as a Chief.

I must admit though, watching Cutler Sunday evening, made me wish that we had a QB that could make throws like that. Watching Geno Smith in his third game reminded me about what could have been.

Mile High Mania 09-24-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10015026)
Right now I'm pretty sure it's don't lose. I think at some point it needs to shift to win.

(And don't misinterpret that as me assuming a lack of confidence in Smith by the coaching staff, I think there's more to it than that)

Agreed. It's early yet... I'm just happy to be talking smack with you guys looking at your team being 3-0 for a change.

Ace Gunner 09-24-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 10014723)
Let me start by saying that I'm honestly very happy to see the Chiefs playing well. I've said this for years - but, I love it when the division is dominant. It's great for everyone in the long run and from a rivalry perspective, it's greatness.

I don't think either KC or Denver has truly been tested yet by a complete team... but, you can only play the teams that are up next and do what you're supposed to do. Things will shake out a bit over the next month and we'll have a much better picture at the halfway mark.

Broncos 3-0
Chiefs 3-0
Chargers 1-2
Raiders 1-2

Flip the order for Den and KC and it doesn't matter at this point...

Week 4 has the following:

Eagles @ Broncos
Giants @ Chiefs
Cowboys @ Chargers
Redskins @ Raiders

It's a pure NFCE vs AFCW and all AFC teams are at home...

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked with any result in this game. The NFCE teams have talent and most are scrambling to find a win, especially the Giants. It's been ugly through 3 weeks and @ KC is going to be miserable for them if they don't figure out how to play football again.

The Eagles are interesting to me because of Vick/McCoy/Jackson ... that's a trio that can be lethal and Denver likes to play soft at times on 3rd down, against scrambling QBs and they give up big plays. I think the Broncos offense will be more than they can handle, but I think it will be a shootout.

The Cowboys and Chargers are a toss up to me - both have big play potential but both can play brain dead with the best of them.

Raiders and Redskins... another one that I wouldn't touch from a gambling perspective, but Shanny loves beating the Raiders and they're due if the defense can man up. I think the Redskins surprise them here, esp if Pryor is dinged up.

My thoughts...

Chiefs 34 / Giants 20
Broncos 44 / Eagles 34
Cowboys 27 / Chargers 24
Redskins 20 / Raiders 16

And, there you go... how about you?

forward thinking -- I like that :D

Molitoth 09-24-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 10015037)
I must admit though, watching Cutler Sunday evening, made me wish that we had a QB that could make throws like that. Watching Geno Smith in his third game reminded me about what could have been.

Screw that, I'm excited at finally having our very own Trent Dilfer.

keg in kc 09-24-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 10015037)

I figure we have who we have, so I don't think there's much to be gained by pondering on what could've been. The big question is what we can do to make the guys that are here perform at a higher level. We have a smart coaching staff, so hopefully they figure it out.

ToxSocks 09-24-2013 10:13 AM

The Giants worry me not because they are the Giants, but because they're a desperate 0-3 Team that was just embarrassed.

I think the Chiefs match up very well with the Giants, better than they've matched up with Dallas and Philly. Im a little worried about their pass rush....but it's mainly the 0-3 thing that worries me.

Dallas and San Diego should be a close one, i think they're very similar.

HemiEd 09-24-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10015058)
I figure we have who we have, so I don't think there's much to be gained by pondering on what could've been. The big question is what we can do to make the guys that are here perform at a higher level. We have a smart coaching staff, so hopefully they figure it out.

Exactly, and thus my comment about the OL maturing and giving Alex Smith more time. Once that happens, hopefully the Coaching Staff will open some things up.

I wonder if there are any stats on how much time the QB actually has? If so, it hasn't been much by my observation.

the Talking Can 09-24-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

i don't, i think he is leaving plays on the field...my concern is less his conservative instincts than the fact that he doesn't 'see' the field under pressure, imo

he looks at the pressure, and he looks at the short zones, but he amazingly 'never' finds a player down field...i think his persona (game manager) is providing a bit of cover for a lack of skill

but right now, not turning it over is his best skill...given our inability to score, any turnovers would be fatal, so we're in this perverse circle of his weakness being a strength that is still a weakness...

and not getting more out of Bowe is inexcusable...jesus, look what weis and cassle did with him...Bowe can be a playmaker, in spite of some drops, and needs to be targeted more than our damned fullback

Dayze 09-24-2013 10:20 AM

Chiefs 23
Giants 20

keg in kc 09-24-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10015074)
i don't, i think he is leaving plays on the field...my concern is less his conservative instincts than the fact that he doesn't 'see' the field under pressure, imo

he looks at the pressure, and he looks at the short zones, but he amazingly 'never' finds a player down field...i think his persona (game manager) is providing a bit of cover for a lack of skill

but right now, not turning it over is his best skill...given our inability to score, any turnovers would be fatal, so we're in this perverse circle of his weakness being a strength that is still a weakness...

and not getting more out of Bowe is inexcusable...jesus, look what weis and cassle did with him...Bowe can be a playmaker, in spite of some drops, and needs to be targeted more than our damned fullback

I agree with what you're seeing, I just think that they don't want him taking chances, and they don't want him taking sacks. I think the idea for right now is to get the ball out of his hands to the safest option he sees as quickly as possible. I hope that changes if and when the offensive line begins to play better, and when perhaps (this is just a pet theory...) they're sure that the receivers are in the right places at the right time.

If he's still playing like this in week 12 (and he might well be, based on his history...) we have a problem.

O.city 09-24-2013 10:28 AM

For as much as we talk about watching other games and throwing guys open, the same is true for pressuring qbs.

There aren't many who can excel when pressured