ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV Late night bullshit: Your favorite documentary. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277916)

ReynardMuldrake 10-25-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 10122479)
Connections & The Day The Universe Changed - James Burke

Great show.

Buns 10-25-2013 09:02 AM

Paper Heart is a very interesting pseudo-documentary (part doc, part narrative) about the idea of love. Has Michael Cera, Charlyne Yi, and a dude from new girl. Very good.

Dark Days is a doc about homeless people living in an abandoned train tunnel in New York. it's actually really uplifting. Children Underground is not uplifting. It's about homeless kids in Europe who live in train stations and huff paint. Depressing, but interesting.

The Ecstasy Of Order: The Tetris Masters is about, you guessed, people who are the best in the world at playing Tetris. I enjoyed it very much because it goes into the technical aspects and strategies of the game. The people in the film are also very likeable. Highly recommended if you like the game. I watched it on Crackle.

My current favorite documentary is Side By Side. Keanu Reeves produced a picture about making movies using photochemical film and the recent emergence of digital capture. He interviews some great directors and filmmakers. I love it. I believe it's on Netflix, too.

ReynardMuldrake 10-25-2013 09:27 AM

Also worth watching:

Restrepo
King of Kong
Dark Days
Grey Gardens
Dear Zachary
180° South
Man on Wire

The Franchise 10-25-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10122318)
I also like this documentary on Netflix about bullying. I can't remember what it is called, but it breaks my heart. It has an Iowa connection from a town that I am actually familiar with one of the bullied...which is cool. However, watching the torment these kids endure just tears my heart and witnessing their parents general apathy in terms of responding to it fumes me...I am a crazy enough father, that if I were to witness footage of one of my children having their heads bashed in to the seats/windows of the bus on nearly every bus ride to school and back...I would probably flip my lid to the point where I would take it out on the bully's parents. Like, I would confront them (public or not in public) and threaten to do everything to them that their punk ass kids did to my son on the bus if they didn't find a way to get their kid to discontinue the behavior (not to brag...but my reputation in town is that I am a very, very nice guy, but no one will ever **** with me. I can scrap...decades of relatively successful wrestling experience at youth-high school and collegiate level with boxing/MMA experience combined with the willingness to throw down if it comes down to is what contributes to this reputation). I can roll, yo...so my kids presumably won't have to worry about experiencing shit like that. Wrong or right, if my kids are ever ****ed with the way the kids in this documentary were ****ed with, it'd prompt me to act irrationally...but then again, when it comes to your kids being physically abused by their peers, what is "irrational?" And ironically, this documentary also makes me feel very guilty...for I had tendencies to be a bit of a bully myself in JH/HS. There were 3 guys who I contacted randomly a couple years after high school and apologized to them for the way I treated them...Billy Madison style. So this documentary gets to me a few different ways. It's good, though.

Pretty sure you're talking about "Bully". And yeah...it brought back some awesome memories of my school years. Being the short fat kid was not a fun time.

rico 10-25-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 10122477)
This is so.... Iowa.

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com...hackers/06.jpg

And don't forget it!!!!!

patteeu 10-25-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 10122374)
Also, The Story of Anvil, about the rock band, was ****ing amazing.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

Speaking of rockumentaries, Dig! (Brian Jonestown Massacre through the eyes of sometimes friends, sometimes rivals Dandy Warhols) and Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (Metallica during a transformational period leading up to the release of St. Anger) are both good ones.

And on a slightly different plane (pun setup intended), Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives is the story of Eels' founder Mark Oliver Everett's journey to learn about the life of his father, quantum physicist Hugh Everett III. Hugh Everett III is the man who came up with the parallel universe theory of quantum physics. In addition to being an interesting story about a brilliant man and his dysfunctional family, this documentary also includes some pretty good music from Eels.

FD 10-25-2013 10:22 AM

There is Hoop Dreams and then there is everything else.

ReynardMuldrake 10-25-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10122652)
Speaking of rockumentaries, Dig! (Brian Jonestown Massacre through the eyes of sometimes friends, sometimes rivals Dandy Warhols) and Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (Metallica during a transformational period leading up to the release of St. Anger) are both good ones.

I've seen them both, Anvil was much better.

Frazod 10-25-2013 10:24 AM

The People v. George Lucas

stevieray 10-25-2013 10:24 AM

....recently, Runaway Slave.

Molitoth 10-25-2013 10:25 AM

The Zeitgeist series really opened my eyes.

Whether or not it is believable, it is supposed to make you ask QUESTIONS and think for yourself, which was really what I needed at the time.

Before watching this, I was a Christian who believed everything CNN/FoxNews told me and had complete trust in our government. I laugh now at how silly my beliefs were, but that is how I was raised.

ping2000 10-25-2013 10:28 AM

Any and all documentaries about Earnest Shackleton. He and his men were total badass.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 10122324)
Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage

I bought this in 2012 and found it to be...underwhelming.

It could have been so much more, considering the band's four decade career.

patteeu 10-25-2013 10:36 AM

"Joy Division" was another good rockumentary, but it may not be as interesting to people who are too young to remember the punk/post-punk period of the late 70s and early 80s.

Looking through my Netflix queue, I see a couple that I'm looking forward to seeing in "Lemmy" (Motorhead's lead singer) and "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" (not sure what this one's about but I've had people recommend it to me).

If any of you have any rockumentary recommendations, I'd appreciate hearing them.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2013 10:38 AM

If you're into music, History of the Eagles Part 1 & 2 is phenomenal.

Not only is the archival footage awesome, it illustrates a time when music was more about artistry, integrity and conviction, not just about the almighty dollar (like today).