ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Pro Bowling: Athletes or just an Elite learned skill? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280984)

J Diddy 01-27-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10395737)
The word "athlete" comes from the Greek (and Latin via Greek) for "contest" or "competing for prizes".

In that sense, professional bowlers are absolutely athletes.

They also misspelled grease.

J Diddy 01-27-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 10395757)
So spelling bee kids are athletes? Awesome

Full contact onomatopoeia.

Three7s 01-27-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 10395732)
When I last bowled, I bowled finger tip (the only way to score well, IMHO). There is an element of conditioning involved that most non-bowlers don't think about and that is the arm/hand/finger strength needed to throw a 16 lb. ball down the lanes for at least three games consistently.

Very true. Last time I bowled, I had an average around 170, but after not bowling in years, I'd lost a lot of the strength required to bowl at the level I was used to. It may not be an "athlete's" sport, but it certainly requires a decent amount of strength and concentration.

morphius 01-27-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10395741)
As a reminder - I think I told you - but I have a very unorthodox tennis game - I run around my forehand in order to unleash my one-handed backhand. I hit more winners from my backhand side.

Odd huh? I haven't played in about 3 years :eek:

lol. Can't say that I have seen that before. I was normally pretty consistent with my 2 handed backhand, but didn't go for many winners.

Mr. Laz 01-27-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10395774)
They also misspelled grease.

ROFL

Radar Chief 01-27-2014 09:05 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Srm21isYMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha 01-27-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10395708)
Tennis is fun to watch on TV.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. A good tennis match is a lot of fun to watch.

Wildcat2005 01-27-2014 09:13 AM

I have a tough time calling them athletes.
That term to me implies some sort of supreme physical condition.

But it is definitely a sport.

Omaha 01-27-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10395741)
As a reminder - I think I told you - but I have a very unorthodox tennis game - I run around my forehand in order to unleash my one-handed backhand. I hit more winners from my backhand side.

Odd huh? I haven't played in about 3 years :eek:

I once played a guy who never hit a backhand. He just put the racquet in his other hand & hit forehands from both sides.

otherstar 01-27-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 10395740)
Yup, and most people don't throw the ball right. Keeping your hand behind the ball and coming up through it is a lot more work than just tossing a ball out there, and it has a huge effect on consistent pin action.

Yep, it takes quite a bit of strength to put all of that weight on the middle two finger tips and the thumb, to keep the wrist properly curled under the ball so you can get a full roll after the ball breaks out of the oil/slide and hits the back end with enough power to generate good pin action. Bowling can also torque your lower back and hips if you put a lot behind what you through (it did for mine at one house where used to bowl that had super heavy oil with a shot that was on the far right side of the lane and you had to throw the ball across the middle to about the four board to get it to the pocket).

Beef Supreme 01-27-2014 09:34 AM

I really enjoyed the pro bowlers this year. The new format seemed to really bring out the competition ... oh, nevermind.

Bowser 01-27-2014 09:44 AM

Next thing you know one of you uppity snobs is going to say that there is no place for World Series of Poker on ESPN....

HemiEd 01-27-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 10395718)
Bowlers are no more athletes than chess players. I once had a teenager tell me that chess was a sport because he was "exercising" his brain. ROFL

It seems that some people categorize an activity that requires some skill as a sport just to help out their own ego. Both are games. Same as golf.

Any activity is going burn calories. That doesn't make you an "athlete."

Bowling is something someone does when their spouse/significant other tells them to get off the couch and go do something. Same as mowing the yard.

To do it well, and compete, you have to be pretty athletic. Not so with Chess.

I quit league bowling two years ago, after my third injury and second to my wrist. (my shit is getting old) I had a 199 average, but not on the lane conditions and pressure the pros face.

It would get my heart rate higher than 4 miles on a treadmill in an hour.

Like some golfers, a lot of bowlers have a fat gut and man tits, but they possess a lot of power and strength as well as mental toughness to get the job done.

J Diddy 01-27-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10395897)
Next thing you know one of you uppity snobs is going to say that there is no place for World Series of Poker on ESPN....

When the poker fad was going apeshit I felt that there was no place for it. Still don't.

HemiEd 01-27-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10395920)
When the poker fad was going apeshit I felt that there was no place for it. Still don't.

I actually DVR it, and watch reruns more than once usually. There isn't much else on ESPN that I can say that about.