ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs What The Niners did with the Picks from the AS trade (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283637)

ndws 05-12-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10625245)

Borland isn't going to do crap on that team with Willis and Bowman there unless they're planning to cut Willis in the near future because of the cost.

Probably a safety net for Bowman and his knee.

RealSNR 05-12-2014 09:22 AM

What would you rather have again?

Someone like Carson Palmer in free agency + 2013's 2nd round pick (used possibly to draft Geno) + Cody Latimer?

Or Alex Smith?

OldSchool 05-12-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10625327)

Someone like Carson Palmer in free agency + 2013's 2nd round pick (used possibly to draft Geno) + Cody Latimer?

Or Alex Smith?

Smith easily. Palmer does not survive behind this OL with the limited weapons that we have. Smith is also a significantly smarter and more clutch performer than Palmer is. He's also young enough that he can be the answer for the next 5-6 years or beyond if he decides to play that long. Geno Smith is crap.

There's no guarantee that Latimer ever pans out. There are more physically gifted players who enter the league and end up failing terribly than you can count.

patteeu 05-12-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Or Alex Smith?

For two second rounders and a 5th, the Chiefs acquired Alex Smith, Tyler Bray, and Aaron Murray. For a team that was devoid of QB talent, I think Dorsey/Reid handled it alright (although truth be told, I'm not optimistic at all about Bray).

Pasta Little Brioni 05-12-2014 09:30 AM

Palmer and Geno make me barf....and I was a Geno guy.

keg in kc 05-12-2014 09:31 AM

Kind of difficult to answer the question of what the right choice is or was right now. Time will tell. If we turn into the early '00s Eagles with Alex Smith behind center, are any of us really going to complain that they went with the names they liked instead of the names we liked? And on the flip side, if it fails miserably, we'll pretty much have our concerns confirmed.

J Diddy 05-12-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10625344)
Kind of difficult to answer the question of what the right choice is or was right now. Time will tell. If we turn into the early '00s Eagles with Alex Smith behind center, are any of us really going to complain that they went with the names they liked instead of the names we liked? And on the flip side, if it fails miserably, we'll pretty much have our concerns confirmed.

Common sense has no place in draft discussion.

OldSchool 05-12-2014 09:35 AM

Also, for a guy who had Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and Andre Roberts to throw to, Palmer had a piss poor TD:INT ratio of 24:22. He only threw 1 more TD than Smith did and he had a QB's dream to work with compared to what Smith had here.

There hasn't been a single season where Palmer has thrown for less than 12 INTs, the only time that he didn't throw that many was when he was injured and had his season cut short after 4 games.

CapsLockKey 05-12-2014 09:45 AM

Alex Smith was a key piece in taking a two win team to the playoffs overnight. What did the players from them picks contribute to so far for the 9ers? Add to it the Chiefs stole Cooper away from SF for free. I hated the trade as much as the next guy when it went down, but I'd say it worked out pretty well for the Chiefs regardless of what SF did with the picks.

RealSNR 05-12-2014 09:46 AM

Also, can I just say that these names:

DL Tank Carradine (second round, 2013)
LB Corey Lemonier (third round, 2013)
LB Chris Borland (third round, 2014)
RB Carlos Hyde (second round, 2014)
WR Stevie Johnson (acquired for 2015 fourth-rounder)

Are ****ing horse shit.

The only good pick I like up there is Borland, and that's because I'm a Wisconsin homer. The Stevie Johnson trade was insane value, too.

Everything else is horseshit. Baalke sucks.

The Franchise 05-12-2014 09:47 AM

I view the Jared Allen trade as more of a raping than the Alex Smith trade in terms of players drafted and value.

RealSNR 05-12-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10625354)
Also, for a guy who had Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and Andre Roberts to throw to, Palmer had a piss poor TD:INT ratio of 24:22. He only threw 1 more TD than Smith did and he had a QB's dream to work with compared to what Smith had here.

There hasn't been a single season where Palmer has thrown for less than 12 INTs, the only time that he didn't throw that many was when he was injured and had his season cut short after 4 games.

I'm arguing that if all the Smith trade gets us is 11-5 and a playoff loss in one season followed by 6-10 and no playoffs (which is more likely than getting a playoff appearance this year) then I would have preferred the Chiefs to not make this huge push in free agency last year. They should have let Bowe and Albert walk, kept a cheap QB and all their draft picks, and started over.

The deconstruction of this team is going to be messy, and it's a stage that has to take place before the reconstruction can happen. I could see us getting mired in shitty poorly negotiated contract after shitty poorly negotiated contract with an overpaid QB while we open up new wounds at a variety of positions every year.

This draft sets us up well to offload Hali and Flowers next year, but in the meantime we're STILL short a fantastic single-high safety and a WR who doesn't suck eggs next to Bowe. Oh, and Berry, Houston, and Smith still need new contracts.

Prison Bitch 05-12-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10625104)
So They got a guy that ****ed up his knee, a guy behind Nick ****ing Moody on the depth chart ROFL, a guy that projects as a 1st down run stuffer at best, backup RB, and malcontent receiver. This is how the people bitching evaluate our guys, so only fair to do the same. We get a QB that helps take us from 2 to 11 wins and puts up 44 in the playoffs. Scores 35 ppg the 2nd half of the year when they score 13 a game the year before with same players. That is value.

Probably the first good post I've ever seen from you. Repped.

notorious 05-12-2014 09:59 AM

If our defense doesn't melt down against Indy the Alex haters would have no ground to stand on.

htismaqe 05-12-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Or Alex Smith?

I want no part of Carson Palmer, regardless of the alternatives.