ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop The Oxford Comma (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284434)

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2014 12:41 PM

The Oxford Comma

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697882)
:shake:

Seriously, it's not wrong. There's no right or wrong here. It's a preference born of necessity, from the typewriter era. What the typographers would have been more accurate in saying is that there is no longer a need, in their opinion, for the second space.

It's an outdated workaround born of necessity. Doesn't make it less wrong.

And in today's world, it's utterly useless (and ugly).

cdcox 06-17-2014 12:41 PM

Can we get an auto-correct that says "hello, spacetard on the loose"?

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10697868)
If you don't want to use it, that's fine with me. But it is the new rule and is taught as one. It's how typographers always set type. We are all setting type now--just digitally.

Nope. I caught it--a typo. I went back and edited it.

Temper much?

No temper, although your attempt to switch it around to me instead of your mistake is noted, but a typo is generally hitting "j" instead of "h", not getting a word choice completely wrong.

eDave 06-17-2014 12:43 PM

What does Oxford say about the hashtag symbol? I say burn it.

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697893)
No temper, although your attempt to switch it around to me instead of your mistake is noted, but a typo is generally hitting "j" instead of "h", not getting a word choice completely wrong.

I've done the exact same thing before, and I'm an admitted grammar nazi. We all make mistakes, and sometimes you just type the wrong word.

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10697890)
It's an outdated workaround born of necessity. Doesn't make it less wrong.

Well, yes, it does. Pretty much by definition.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697893)

I think you're the one getting petty and sound pissed-off.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10697896)
I've done the exact same thing before, and I'm an admitted grammar nazi. We all make mistakes, and sometimes you just type the wrong word.

Yup! That's a common one. I actually did catch it and made the edit before he had to point it out.

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697898)
Well, yes, it does. Pretty much by definition.

A workaround can absolutely be against the rules. Is English your second language?

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10697896)

Yes, but people pissing and moaning about a non-existent rule should be paying better attention to the real rules. BEP's failure to do so was funny. I noted it and laughed. That should have been the end of it, but she doubled down with the "typo" excuse.

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10697902)
A workaround can absolutely be against the rules. Is English your second language?

:spock:

There is no rule.

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697903)
Yes, but people pissing and moaning about a non-existent rule should be paying better attention to the real rules. BEP's failure to do so was funny. I noted it and laughed. That should have been the end of it, but she doubled down with the "typo" excuse.

Dude... You are wrong. Get over it. Keep on using the two spaces, but know typographers for the past 100 years have agreed one space is correct.

BucEyedPea 06-17-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10697903)

Uh, I said I caught it and BEFORE you noted it. I usually edit after I post. I think you're acting pretty defensive.

Just Passin' By 06-17-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10697905)
Dude... You are wrong. Get over it. Keep on using the two spaces, but know typographers for the past 100 years have agreed one space is correct.

I'm not wrong, and your own understanding of the typewriter situation should tell you that.

Christ, you people are failing logic 101.

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10697907)
Uh, I said I caught it and BEFORE you noted it. I usually edit after I post. I think you're acting pretty defensive.

He doesn't like being wrong, apparently. He's dug in and can't give in now.