ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Conley runs with 1st with Wilson hurt (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294285)

thabear04 09-01-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11697983)
That's why I actually think he's a far better slot option than Wilson this year.

Wilson has been through some wars out there - he's more likely to win the hand fights and know the tricks he needs to do with his feet/hips to find space before the chuck.

Conley doesn't know that yet. Moreover, he's probably just not strong enough yet to win on a lot of those one on one matchups. However, if you put him in the slot, he already has a little more space and he can use some inertia and size/leverage to keep DBs off him.

For this season, Conley is probably better used like the Giants used Cruz in his breakout 'rookie' year. He was used almost exclusively out of the slot that season and it helped him find space downfield.

As we go forward and Conley gets stronger and more used to the rigors of NFL defenses, he can move outside and Wilson can move to the slot. Right now (and likely all season), Wilson is better at the X with Conley in the slot.

Cruz rookie year he played 5 games then went on IR but the following year he played a bigger role because Giants WR because all injury's. But I hope he turn out great we haven't had a great WR we have drafted since Bowe.

DJ's left nut 09-01-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11697989)
I think he caps out as a good #2. I was hoping he could develop into a #1, but i don't believe he has the quickness to reliably get open.

Then I think you were probably just getting a little too amped up.

Conley has a lot of tools, but he never had those fast feet that you see from an Amari Cooper. His speed comes from his length. While that can be put to good use in a variety of ways, he was never going to be a versatile true #1.

O.City gave a very good comp for him - Vincent Jackson. Or if you want to be a little more realistic, how about Chris Chambers? Chambers was a damn valuable 2nd weapon in this league for several years.

Maybe we get extremely lucky and he's more than that, but there are 31 other teams in this league and very smart guys are running at least 20 of them. The odds were never great that Conley was going to be a Dez Bryant/Calvin Johnson kind of WR. Nor should that be the expectation of him.

But he can be a very valuable player for us without getting near that. Give him a season or so and he will be.

DJ's left nut 09-01-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 11698011)
Cruz rookie year he played 5 games then went on IR but the following year he played a bigger role because Giants WR because all injury's. But I hope he turn out great we haven't had a great WR we have drafted since Bowe.

That's why I put it in quotes (to signify that it was not his true rookie season) and referred expressly to his breakout season. Most people don't realize that Cruz was on a roster for a year before his breakout season and refer to that year as his 'rookie' year.

I'm well aware of Cruz's history and it's completely tangential to the discussion.

thabear04 09-01-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11698025)
That's why I put it in quotes (to signify that it was not his true rookie season) and referred expressly to his breakout season. Most people don't realize that Cruz was on a roster for a year before his breakout season and refer to that year as his 'rookie' year.

I'm well aware of Cruz's history and it's completely tangential to the discussion.

Oh okay sorry about that.

Rausch 09-01-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11698015)
O.City gave a very good comp for him - Vincent Jackson.

I don't see that at all.

That said, I'd nut if he had that level of production...

jonzie04 09-01-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11697989)
I think he caps out as a good #2. I was hoping he could develop into a #1, but i don't believe he has the quickness to reliably get open.

Why do you think that quickness is the end all be all of getting open? Chris is plenty quick.... Jerry Rice wasn't overly fast or quick and he's the best receiver to ever live... Route running > quickness. We have seen it a million times on both ends... We've seen thousands of freak guys like Marquise Goodwins, Darius Heyward Beys, pan out to be nothing. Yet we've seen below average speed and quickness guys like Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald turn in HOF careers. If Conley can't develop into a #1 it is going to be because he fails to learn the intricacies of position and NOT because of his lack of "quickness".

nychief 09-01-2015 11:01 AM

He's played one preseason game and detoxing acts like he has any idea his potential. Laughable.

Mr. Laz 09-01-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 11698040)
He's played one preseason game and detoxing acts like he has any idea his potential. Laughable.

Detox has him all figured out. LMAO

ToxSocks 09-01-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 11698035)
Why do you think that quickness is the end all be all of getting open? Chris is plenty quick.... Jerry Rice wasn't overly fast or quick and he's the best receiver to ever live... Route running > quickness. We have seen it a million times on both ends... We've seen thousands of freak guys like Marquise Goodwins, Darius Heyward Beys, pan out to be nothing. Yet we've seen below average speed and quickness guys like Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald turn in HOF careers. If Conley can't develop into a #1 it is going to be because he fails to learn the intricacies of position and NOT because of his lack of "quickness".

Rice was very quick. WTF are you smoking? Boldin, Fitz....both loose hips. Getting open and creating separation comes from quickness....suddenness.

There's a difference between quickness and timed speed. You clearly have the two confused.

notorious 09-01-2015 11:05 AM

What Detox is saying is more likely to happen than Conley becoming a #1.

The history of football proves it over and over again.

ToxSocks 09-01-2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 11698040)

Sorry that i don't approach every player with homer glasses on. His combine results, scouting reports and his performance this preseason seem to agree with me.

Hell, DJ, his ****ing biggest supporter on this forum agrees that he lacks suddenness.

What's laughable is the inability around here to question fan favorites.

ToxSocks 09-01-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11698015)
Then I think you were probably just getting a little too amped up.

Conley has a lot of tools, but he never had those fast feet that you see from an Amari Cooper. His speed comes from his length. While that can be put to good use in a variety of ways, he was never going to be a versatile true #1.

O.City gave a very good comp for him - Vincent Jackson. Or if you want to be a little more realistic, how about Chris Chambers? Chambers was a damn valuable 2nd weapon in this league for several years.

Maybe we get extremely lucky and he's more than that, but there are 31 other teams in this league and very smart guys are running at least 20 of them. The odds were never great that Conley was going to be a Dez Bryant/Calvin Johnson kind of WR. Nor should that be the expectation of him.

But he can be a very valuable player for us without getting near that. Give him a season or so and he will be.

So DJ basically says the same ****ing thing i've been saying in this thread.

Pretty laughable, right guys?

temper11 09-01-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11697339)
He's a strider.

Plus he's like 6 3. Those guys don't ever seem to look fast

My son is kind of like this. When he runs, he doesn't look very fast. T

Last Friday night, all us dads were watching the game and this running back on the other team was killing us with his speed. He breaks one on the outside and is jamming down the sideline for like 60 yards when my son (corner back)closes on him from right behind him (not a good angle or something - just a straight up sprint, one behind the other) and trips him at the 4 yardline. Kid had about a 7 yard head start and we had all just been sitting around talking about how crazy fast this kid was. No one really talks about my kid like that. He's a corner back so he's fast, but people don't really consider him "wow" fast.

He has deceptive speed. Looks like he's just not putting a lot of effort into it, but he can move. Maybe Conley is like that?

philfree 09-01-2015 11:10 AM

I guess a guy who has a 45 inch vertical jump doesn't have any explosion or quickness. That was best at the combine for WRs and he also was best at the broad jump a 135 inches. He may or may not turn in to what we want but he has the tools to get it done.

notorious 09-01-2015 11:11 AM

Robert Smith was like that.