ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Official Draft Travone Boykin Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294937)

LoneWolf 10-30-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11848951)
Hooray for unnamed NFL execs who probably suck at their jobs.

Come on, Native. I understand you went to TCU and are a huge fan, but nobody who watches Boykin with an objective eye believes he will be a successful NFL QB. He's a great athlete, but he lacks the arm talent and size to be a quality starter in the NFL.

duncan_idaho 10-31-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 11848941)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...trevone-boykin

Ask 5: What's best NFL comp for TCU QB Trevone Boykin?

TCU senior Trevone Boykin is among the leading Heisman Trophy contenders and is putting up tremendous numbers for the second consecutive season as a dual-threat quarterback. However, many expect he'll have to move to a different position for a chance to make it at the next level. I asked five NFL personnel executives to give me the best player comparison for Boykin. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Tyrod Taylor
"I'm not a big Boykin guy. He's a better athlete than Taylor, but he's not as good a thrower."

Executive 2: Hines Ward
"They have almost identical builds coming out of college. I think Boykin's best shot at the next level is at wide receiver."

Executive 3: Seneca Wallace
"He reminds me of Wallace. I don't see him as an NFL starter, but he'll be an athletic backup."

Executive 4: Johnny Manziel
"Strictly on the field, he reminds me of Manziel. I think Boykin has a stronger arm than Manziel."

Executive 5: Antwaan Randle El
"He's not a QB (in the NFL), but I like his quickness and elusiveness. Maybe you get lucky and end up with someone like Randle El."

Verdict: That's one vote apiece for Taylor, Ward, Wallace, Manziel and Randle El.

Conclusion: I haven't done a lot of film work on Boykin yet, but after studying him over the summer, I wasn't confident that he had a chance as an NFL quarterback. No matter how he finishes the season, even if TCU wins the national title, the postseason will be huge for Boykin when it comes to all-star games and his decision on whether to stay at quarterback or play a different position.

/Thread

Boykin is a great college QB and great athlete who will have a good NFL career if he is more Randle-El (and embraces moving to another position, like WR) and less Eric Crouch.

KC native 11-01-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11849384)
Come on, Native. I understand you went to TCU and are a huge fan, but nobody who watches Boykin with an objective eye believes he will be a successful NFL QB. He's a great athlete, but he lacks the arm talent and size to be a quality starter in the NFL.

You're wrong.

KC native 11-01-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11851481)
/Thread

Boykin is a great college QB and great athlete who will have a good NFL career if he is more Randle-El (and embraces moving to another position, like WR) and less Eric Crouch.

This is wrong.

KC native 11-04-2015 10:41 AM

Since I've been removed from the big white QB circle jerk thread, here's some Boykin stats. None of the broke dicks that the brain trust is clamoring for come close to this.

Quote:

In the fourth quarter, Boykin is 23 of 31 for 340 yards and four touchdowns, 10.97 yards per attempt and 10.75 yards per dropback. He’s added 17 carries for 177 yards (10.41 yards per carry) and three touchdowns with 52.9 percent of the carries going for five yards or more and six runs of 10 yards or more. His 98.9 fourth-quarter QBR leads all Power 5 quarterbacks.

In the red zone, Boykin is 29 of 41 for 246 yards, including 16 touchdown passes without an interception. He’s added 15 carries for 78 yards and five touchdowns. His 96.5 QBR in the red zone is third among Power 5 quarterbacks.

On third-down plays, Boykin is 35 of 59 for 560 yards, with four touchdown passes, one interception, 9.49 yards per attempt and 9.22 yards per dropback. He’s added 26 carries for 131 yards, (5.0 yards per carry) and two touchdowns. Only Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes (97.8) has a better QBR on third down among Power 5 quarterbacks.

duncan_idaho 11-04-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11863471)
Since I've been removed from the big white QB circle jerk thread, here's some Boykin stats. None of the broke dicks that the brain trust is clamoring for come close to this.

Stats in a spread offense don't matter as much as how the guy projects to the NFL system. It's a very simple and proven concept.

There have been dozens of great college QBs who put up similar or even better numbers, who didn't work in the NFL.

Great performance in a spread doesn't not equate to NFL success.

KC native 11-04-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11863506)
Stats in a spread offense don't matter as much as how the guy projects to the NFL system. It's a very simple and proven concept.

There have been dozens of great college QBs who put up similar or even better numbers, who didn't work in the NFL.

Great performance in a spread doesn't not equate to NFL success.

Boykin is clutch. He doesn't get rattled. He has an adequate arm for the NFL. He has an ability to extend plays with his legs (but is a pass first QB). He knows how to win.

The kid will be an NFL success.

duncan_idaho 11-04-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11863538)
Boykin is clutch. He doesn't get rattled. He has an adequate arm for the NFL. He has an ability to extend plays with his legs (but is a pass first QB). He knows how to win.

The kid will be an NFL success.

His size (lack), arm strength (OK but not special), and lack of experience in a pro-style offense, making pro-style reads, throwing to receivers running pro-style routes are more informative about his chances for NFL success than anything you just mentioned.

KC native 11-04-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11863572)
His size (lack), arm strength (OK but not special), and lack of experience in a pro-style offense, making pro-style reads, throwing to receivers running pro-style routes are more informative about his chances for NFL success than anything you just mentioned.

LMAO

What are pro-style routes? Route trees are route trees.

duncan_idaho 11-04-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11863613)
LMAO

What are pro-style routes? Route trees are route trees.

The spread route tree is much different than the route trees used at the NFL level. Spread is much less complex, much more simple, and requires much less reading of the defense pre-snap and post-snap.

Kind of football 101.

KC native 11-04-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11863639)
The spread route tree is much different than the route trees used at the NFL level. Spread is much less complex, much more simple, and requires much less reading of the defense pre-snap and post-snap.

Kind of football 101.

Horseshit.

A slant is a slant.

A post is a post.

A flag is a flag.

Deep crossing routes are deep crossing routes.

And so on and so on.

milkman 11-08-2015 09:18 AM

So, tell us how Boykin did against a real opponent?

SAUTO 11-08-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 11869099)
So, tell us how Boykin did against a real opponent?

He was the bestest. It was everyone else's fault he threw 4 ints

Mr_Tomahawk 11-09-2015 09:44 AM

Hot Garbage.

DaKCMan AP 11-09-2015 10:52 AM

Fanboi will fanboy.
<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" style="display: none;"></object>