ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chargers moving to LA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305130)

DaFace 01-12-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12676895)
Wow. Jsut wow. Plaschke lays the boom.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...111-story.html

Harsh, but it's hard to disagree with any of that.

PAChiefsGuy 01-12-2017 09:34 AM

Garbage franchise that has won 0 SBs and lost to the crappy Browns that were on pace for 0 wins not to long ago.

Anyone surprised that the fans didn't vote for them to stay is crazy. It is actually expected IMO. SD isn't even a sports city anyway it's more a party/beach city.

wazu 01-12-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 12676882)
The talking heads on the radio this morning said they are even moving away from the Chargers name. A whole new mascot etc...

Anyone else hear this?

I hope so. I'd rather see the Chargers buried than to live this terrible half-life. Their fans at least deserve that closure.

Rooster 01-12-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12676994)
Hopefully this will scare Toub away.

That's a good point. I think that situation would make a lot of coaches pause.

BlackHelicopters 01-12-2017 10:04 AM

"I'm stunned" said no one ever.

displacedinMN 01-12-2017 10:07 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a> owner Dean Spanos will tell his staff that the team is moving to LA at 11 pm ET and it will be announced shortly. It’s happening.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/819566557701533696">January 12, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow. That is not a lot of time to pack!

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 12677015)
Garbage franchise that has won 0 SBs and lost to the crappy Browns that were on pace for 0 wins not to long ago.

Anyone surprised that the fans didn't vote for them to stay is crazy. It is actually expected IMO. SD isn't even a sports city anyway it's more a party/beach city.

Well, technically the fans didn't vote for them to move. They voted to not give a handout to a billionaire who owns one of only 32 teams in the most profitable sport in North America.

I am proud of SD drawing a line publicly for refusing to be held hostage of doling out corporate welfare in exchange to ransom demands by some obscenely rich prick trying to force their hand by threat of taking away the team.

They paid a steep cost to stand on principle of there is absolutely zero justification why the general public should subsidize a new stadium unless they have an equity stake in seeing future profits on their investment. Especially in today's age, the profitability of the modern NFL, and the fact that these stadiums today aren't multi-use municipal facilities to enrich the community otherwise.

Easy 6 01-12-2017 10:13 AM

This is the pinnacle of Goodell blunders

The Franchise 01-12-2017 10:15 AM

The NFL should have put the Raiders in Los Angeles and the Chargers in Las Vegas.

wazu 01-12-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 12677037)
That's a good point. I think that situation would make a lot of coaches pause.

Toub is not a proven head coach. If he gets offered 4X his current pay to go show he can be one he will take the job.

kgrund 01-12-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12677091)
Well, technically the fans didn't vote for them to move. They voted to not give a handout to a billionaire who owns one of only 32 teams in the most profitable sport in North America.

I am proud of SD drawing a line publicly for refusing to be held hostage of doling out corporate welfare in exchange to ransom demands by some obscenely rich prick trying to force their hand by threat of taking away the team.

Yeah San Diego looks like the noble city that did not blink to this kind of corporate welfare. Except you have the case of the Padres. Who are the Padres you say? They are a MLB franchise that NOBODY in the US, let alone Southern California, even knows exist. Yet when the Padres were crying for new digs, the city ponied up. To me this looks like a repeat of Cleveland. Cleveland took care of the Cavs and Indians, but neglected the Browns. Modell left and the city paid twice as much to get back into the game than they would have had they met reasonable requests earlier. San Diego can do what they want. Many believe they care less about any sports team for the most part. However, if a city outside the huge metro areas want the prestige and exposure that comes with major league sports, they need to keep reasonable care of their home teams. On the principle I totally agree that this stadium extortion is BS, but that is how the game is currently played. If history is any indicator they will feel good about flipping the Chargers the bird then be lining up for a new NFL franchise in 5 years IMO.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12677102)
The NFL should have put the Raiders in Los Angeles and the Chargers in Las Vegas.

Yup.

I hate the raiders. But they have a fan base worth building around. I don't want that stadium to be bastardized with a bunch of drunk tourists, many of whom may not even be raisers fans. Give that to a fan base that doesn't give a shit about their team, like the chargers. This is what happens when owners care more about greed than what's right for the nfl.

FloridaMan88 01-12-2017 10:25 AM

Ironic that the first year the NFL is back in LA in 20+ years and the overall NFL TV ratings for this season were down, even with the post-election bounce.

rico 01-12-2017 10:27 AM

So what happens to Buck?

Hoover 01-12-2017 10:29 AM

New Chargers logo will be great on a hat.

I know that the Rams have the history, but I can see the Chargers establishing themselves well there.