ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Restaurants of yesteryear (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=151160)

DeezNutz 01-21-2007 01:09 PM

How about Naugles? Anyone remember this fast-food mexican place that was located at 87th and Antioch? As a young kid, I loved the heck out of it. Made Taco Bell look like, well...what it is, actually.

Dave Lane 01-21-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap
WOW, that just dredged up memories that I thought were gone forever!!!!!

Metcalf South was my back yard. I grew up on W 98th St...

West 97th for me...

Dave

Dave Lane 01-21-2007 01:11 PM

Ingredients & Directions

2 pk Active dry yeast

1/2 c Warm water (105-115 degrees

1/3 c Granulated sugar - PLUS 1/2
-teaspoon

4 c Flour - all-purpose,
-(actually 4 to 5 cups)

1 ts Salt

1 c Milk - scalded and cooled to

110 Degrees F.

1/3 c Salad oil

2 Eggs - at room temperature

--------------------------FILLING--------------------------

1/2 c Butter - or margarine,
-softened

1 c Brown sugar - firmly packed

1/2 c Granulated sugar

2 tb Cinnamon

---------------------------ICING---------------------------

1 c Confectioner's sugar -
-sifted

2 tb Milk - warm (actually 2 to 3
-Tablespoons)

1 ts Vanilla extract

In cup dissolve yeast in water with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes. In mixer bowl combine 3 cups flour, remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the salt. At low speed gradually beat in milk, oil, eggs and yeast mixture; beat until well blended. Beat in additional flour (about 1-1/2 cups) until dough pulls away from the sides of bowl. On floured surface knead dough until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk, 1 hour. FILLING: In mixer bowl beat all ingredients until smooth; set aside. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans. On lightly floured surface roll dough into an 18x10" rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll tightly from long side. Cut into fourteen 1 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 roll cut side up in center of each pan. Arrange remaining rolls in a circle of 6 around the center roll. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Invert onto wire racks, then invert again to cool. ICING: In medium bowl whisk all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled rolls. (Can be made ahead. Wrap well and freeze up to

1 month. Thaw, wrapped, at room temperature.) Makes 14
rolls. Nutrition per roll: 410 calories 14 gm fat 6 gm protein 67 gm carbohydrates 250 mg sodium 60 mg cholesterol Prep. time: 45 minutes plus rising Baking time: 25 to 30 minutes From Jim Vorheis. From: Michelle Bass

TODD 01-21-2007 04:26 PM

Texas Toms, seen a sign for one at around 36 and state (north Side of state). looked to be open...Probably get shot though.. HA!

Megbert 01-21-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie
Nichols Lunch is closed as of a few weeks ago. That's too bad for the Westport drunks looking for a 2 am meal.

Nichols is closed? No more Red Death (chili & spaghetti) at 2 in the morn.

RIP Nichols.

ILChief 01-21-2007 07:44 PM

Druthers (I loved the Andy Dandy Meal)
ShowBiz Pizza (much better than Chuck E. Cheese, IMHO)
Bonanza (it seems like I went there all the time when I was young)

Extra Point 01-21-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Nichols Lunch is closed as of a few weeks ago. That's too bad for the Westport drunks looking for a 2 am meal.

Closed? Again?

I remember breakfast at 3 am. They had a waitress that was 80, bout 20 years ago. One of the guys nicknamed her Yoda.

"Whut'll ya have, boys?"

R.I.P. Nichols.

Ted Theodore Logan 01-31-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod
Sounds familiar. What/where was it?

On 291 close to Strike Market,it was a pizza joint

Reaper16 02-05-2007 11:59 PM

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/...ate08guber.txt

Drive in that made peanut butter burger famous to close in September

SEDALIA, Mo. (AP) - The last chance to enjoy a Sedalia specialty will be Labor Day of this year.

That's when the Wheel-Inn Drive-In will serve its last Guber Burger, a hamburger slathered with peanut butter.

The restaurant is closing because of a construction project that will expand the intersection of West Broadway Boulevard and South Limit Avenue.

Jason Vanderfeltz, project manager for the Missouri Department of Transportation, said construction is set to begin in the spring of 2008.

“There just really wasn't much choice the way the highway will be,” said Ruth Ann Hawkins, the daughter of Lyman Keuper, who opened the restaurant in the late 1940s. She and her husband, Jack, own the real estate.

John Brandkamp, who owns the Wheel-Inn business, said a median would block access and two of the entrances to the business would close.

He and his wife, Pat, don't plan to reopen the restaurant elsewhere, he said.

The intersection's corners will be widened, to easier accommodate turning trucks, he said.

Entrances to other businesses will close as well.

Wayne Compton, owner of Jiffy Stop Food Marts, the Shell station on the north east corner, said: “We're just going to have to evaluate (staying open) as time progresses.”

His business would have two entrances close, but two would remain open. Compton said the real obstacles after construction will be the medians.

The Missouri Department of Transportation has purchased all but three of the easements, rights of way and property that it needs, said John Ortner, assistant right of way manager. The department budgeted $4 million to purchase property. Ortner said it has made about $2.8 million in payments so far.

The cost of the improvements is estimated at $2 million, said Vanderfeltz.

That's about $107 million less than a bypass of Sedalia would cost, said Roger Schwartze, district engineer for Central Missouri. The Missouri Department of Transportation considered a bypass in the late 1990s as part of a plan to widen U.S. 50 from Sedalia to St. Martins, outside Jefferson City.

Some business owners opposed the bypass, fearing the loss of business of people traveling through town, including traffic bound for Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks. Schwartze said if money became available for more large projects, the bypass would be considered along with other statewide construction proposals.

By Beth O'Malley, The Sedalia Democrat, via The Associated Press

Demonpenz 02-06-2007 12:49 AM

old gold buffet had like penny slots in the waiting room didn't it?

teedubya 02-06-2007 01:10 AM

anyone here ever hear of Sam's Hiway Hamburger in Butler Mo?

Those Curly Fries were fat soaked and delcious. Great Burgers and Chicken too.

Good Shit.

Simply Red 02-06-2007 07:40 AM

Texas Toms Fried Pork Tenderloin on a bun. Good stuff!

Dartgod 02-06-2007 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jim Slade
On 291 close to Strike Market,it was a pizza joint

OK, I remember now. I can't say I remember eating there, Pappi's was the best pizza in town.

Stewie 02-06-2007 08:00 AM

Anyone have an opinion of Paul's Drive-In on Blue Ridge, south of I-470? I've never been there but have heard good things about their burgers, tenderloins, and onion rings. It's not convenient for me, but I'm in that area occasionally.

Dartgod 02-06-2007 08:06 AM

Quote:

Anyone have an opinion of Paul's Drive-In on Blue Ridge, south of I-470? I've never been there but have heard good things about their burgers, tenderloins, and onion rings. It's not convenient for me, but I'm in that area occasionally.

I used to get their tenderloins a lot when I lived out that way. it's been years ago.

Simply Red 02-06-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Speaking of tenderloins how is your little girly signature doing today?

heh

Duck Dog 02-06-2007 09:02 AM

I'm sure it's been mentioned (not looking for it) but Chi Chi's was a big favorite of mine in the early 80's. I even bused tables and cooked at the one in Lohmans Plaza in OP.

RockChalk 02-06-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp
In Overland Park...

Here's the places I grew up with and still have to eat at every time I come back in town...

Taco Via
Haywards...I remember the little hole in the wall off of 95th street...and you had to wait an hour or more to get seated...
Pizza Shoppe....greatest pizza on the planet.
John's Space Age Donuts....yumm. (heard they're closed now??? is this true?? sad if so)
Wylies....outstanding double or triple burgers...

Haywards...i remember the piano player that was there on weekends
John's Space Age Donuts...still there as of a few weeks ago. Best white iced cinnamon rolls in the world.
Wylies...fantastic burgers.

Baby Lee 02-06-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

I'd say it's a slightly grungier version of Big Boys of 40 Hwy. The Italian Tenderloin is quite tasty.

JimNasium 02-06-2007 10:02 AM

Some places that have sentimental value to me are:

1. Red's Giant Hamburg - Springfield. Now defunct but still a great place in its day.
2. Shakey's Pizza - Springfield. Now defunct. The building now houses a strip joint.
3. Taylor's Drive Inn - Springfield. Still operating. Food is okay.
4. Heer's Mezzanine Restaurant - Springfield. Now defunct. In the old Heer's Department Store. Great blue plate special place.
5. Ebenezer's - Springfield. Now defunct. Loved the flower pot bread.

DMAC 02-06-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium
Some places that have sentimental value to me are:

1. Red's Giant Hamburg - Springfield. Now defunct but still a great place in its day.
2. Shakey's Pizza - Springfield. Now defunct. The building now houses a strip joint.
3. Taylor's Drive Inn - Springfield. Still operating. Food is okay.
4. Heer's Mezzanine Restaurant - Springfield. Now defunct. In the old Heer's Department Store. Great blue plate special place.
5. Ebenezer's - Springfield. Now defunct. Loved the flower pot bread.

I'll add Bill and Ruths to that list. Now defunct as well. Best Chili 3 way this side of the Mississip.

JimNasium 02-06-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
I'll add Bill and Ruths to that list. Now defunct as well. Best Chili 3 way this side of the Mississip.

I guess I don't remember that place. When I lived in Louisiana they had a Mexican buffet called Pancho's. Instead of going back to fill your plate your raised a miniature Mexican flag on your table and the waitress would bring you a full plate. All-you-can-eat Mexican food and cheap beer is a deadly combination.

DMAC 02-06-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

I guess I don't remember that place.

Bill and Ruths was in the shopping center on the southeast corner of National and Battlefield, next to Auto Magic. Man, I miss it.

Me and my friends were the only ones that kept that place open, I think.

JimNasium 02-06-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
Bill and Ruths was in the shopping center on the southeast corner of National and Battlefield, next to Auto Magic. Man, I miss it.

Me and my friends were the only ones that kept that place open, I think.

I remember now. I guess I helped contribute to them going out of business as I never gave it a try. Access to that shopping center is just awful.

Simply Red 02-06-2007 11:37 AM

Edge of Town.

Blue Springs

The Village Inn

Blue Springs as well...

Arrowhead Pride 02-06-2007 01:31 PM

Used to hit up the Winchells on 63rd st after church before it "mysteriously" burned down. Shoney's was a Sunday thing too...

Redrum_69 02-06-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
old gold buffet had like penny slots in the waiting room didn't it?

OMG that place had like a chest full of gold!

I remember...i think it was that place...that I seen this chest of gold jewelry...rings, necklaces, and more booty than Gochiefs has seen in all his moms playboy collection...

Needless to say, on the way out, I snuck by and stole a handful. It wasnt until I got caught when I fell asleep in the backseat and they spilled out of my pocket when I got home. Youd a thunk I stole it from Helzberg....

Redrum_69 02-06-2007 01:36 PM

THe place I remember most....was Orange Julius at Metcalf SOuth Mall

Anyone else remember when Metcalf was the better Mall to go to?

Then Oak Park...

And now its a tie with Independence Center...

ping2000 02-06-2007 02:10 PM

We used to eat at a place called "Sambos". Easily the most politically incorrect restaurant ever.

Duck Dog 02-06-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrum_69
OMG that place had like a chest full of gold!

I remember...i think it was that place...that I seen this chest of gold jewelry...rings, necklaces, and more booty than Gochiefs has seen in all his moms playboy collection...

Needless to say, on the way out, I snuck by and stole a handful. It wasnt until I got caught when I fell asleep in the backseat and they spilled out of my pocket when I got home. Youd a thunk I stole it from Helzberg....

Isn't that the place the commercial used to whistle their tune.

da da...da da da da da da...da da...da da da da da da da..da da..da da da da da...da da da...da da da...da da

Duck Dog 02-06-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ping2000
We used to eat at a place called "Sambos". Easily the most politically incorrect restaurant ever.

I loved that place. Used to be one on 87th st close to downtown OP.

Monty 02-06-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker
Big Cheez pizza. That franchise was bought by Godfather's then it became pretty inedible. back when it was Big Cheez, it was definately the best pizza I had tried.

I worked at Big Cheese while finishing High School and then my first 2 years of college. Being a poor college student, that was how I fed myself a majority of the time. GREAT pizza! Was sorry to see it go. If you want something similar, try Mazzio's. It's not as good, but it's VERY close to the Big Cheese taste.

JimNasium 02-06-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty
I worked at Big Cheese while finishing High School and then my first 2 years of college. Being a poor college student, that was how I fed myself a majority of the time. GREAT pizza! Was sorry to see it go. If you want something similar, try Mazzio's. It's not as good, but it's VERY close to the Big Cheese taste.

In Springfield all of the Ken's pizza joints were bought out by Mazzio's. Then all of the Mazzio's went under.

Monty 02-06-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

In Springfield all of the Ken's pizza joints were bought out by Mazzio's. Then all of the Mazzio's went under.

Didn't know that. I usually see the Mazzio's in OK on my way to KC for the games. They are all over that state. If I'm anywhere near KC, I won't eat anything that isn't BBQ...kinda goes without saying.

There used to be a Ken's Pizza in Iola, KS. Wonder if it's still there. I only stop at the A&W there...if I stop at all. :)

Adept Havelock 02-06-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrum_69
THe place I remember most....was Orange Julius at Metcalf SOuth Mall

Anyone else remember when Metcalf was the better Mall to go to?

Then Oak Park...

And now its a tie with Independence Center...

I vaguely remember that place..it was just up from L & M Steakburger. Damn good burgers...

Hell, I remember when Blue Ridge Mall was a decent place...except for that god-awful oil-fountain in front of one of the department stores.

WARPARTY70 02-06-2007 04:16 PM

A great place for a cheap burger was Velvet Freeze
I also recaal a place called Harry T's . It had alot of artifact from Fairyland

WARPARTY70 02-06-2007 04:18 PM

That recall not recaal my bad

Simply Red 02-13-2007 02:04 PM

American Legion in Blue Springs served game once a week Rabbit and Squirrel etc.

I love a good squirrel.

Dartgod 02-13-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARPARTY70
A great place for a cheap burger was Velvet Freeze
I also recall a place called Harry T's . It had a lot of artifact from Fairyland

Yep, I remember both places. We used to ride our bikes to the Velvet Freeze in Lee's Summit and get cherry phosphates.

Harry T's was at Truman Corners and did have a lot of memorabilia from Fairyland Park. Before it was Harry T's it was called Sveden House.

ROYC75 02-13-2007 02:37 PM

Since I got on here late........

As a kid, we had to go eat at the Villa Capri all the time for a meal away from home, seemed like once a month. It was in OP,Ks on Metcalf.

There was Wolfs Brothers close by onMetcalf, who remembers them ?

My dad drove a truck in town, so we ate at Town Topics alot.

Is Whimpy's still open on So. Prospect ?

ROYC75 02-13-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief
Druthers (I loved the Andy Dandy Meal)
ShowBiz Pizza (much better than Chuck E. Cheese, IMHO)
Bonanza (it seems like I went there all the time when I was young)

Druthers was awesome here in KY, they were sold out early 90's.......

DaneMcCloud 02-13-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou
Wow. I couldn't disagree more.

Then maybe it was the location. In the 80's and before 1992, I used to eat at the Minsky's off of 95th and Antioch. It was great as was the Minsky's off of 63rd and Shawnee Mission Parkway.

In 2001 or so on a visit, I had my parents pick up Minsky's from somewhere in Olathe (or Overland Park - I'm confused as to what's what out there in 135th to 170th land) and it was horrible. Nothing at all like what I used to get 15 years before.

Extra Point 02-13-2007 06:05 PM

Paul Bunyan Burgers on 7th near Osage in KCKS. Ate there before a lot of shows at Memorial Hall.

Simply Red 02-13-2007 07:38 PM

Tacos n a tub
Independence.

Sy's
Independence

Dutch Pantry

RJ 02-13-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Point
Paul Bunyan Burgers on 7th near Osage in KCKS. Ate there before a lot of shows at Memorial Hall.

Dude, I have been asking if anyone else remembered that place for the past 5 years. It had a Paul Bunyan statue in front, right? I was just a kid whn I lived there but I know we loved the burgers and tacos. For me would have been about 1966-68. Was there more than one? Where I'm remembering was on or near a street called Parallel Ave., also in KCKS.

Seriously, this has been bugging me for years, I sometimes wondered if I'd imagined the place.

2bikemike 02-13-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ
Dude, I have been asking if anyone else remembered that place for the past 5 years. It had a Paul Bunyan statue in front, right? I was just a kid whn I lived there but I know we loved the burgers and tacos. For me would have been about 1966-68. Was there more than one? Where I'm remembering was on or near a street called Parallel Ave., also in KCKS.

Seriously, this has been bugging me for years, I sometimes wondered if I'd imagined the place.

I remember Paul Bunyan Burgers. IIRC there were quite a few of them around town. I think there used to be one on Southwest Blvd near Quicks BBQ and the drive in.

jlscorpio 02-14-2007 03:42 AM

Tastee Freeze in Arkansas

Abba-Dabba 02-14-2007 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
ORLY? Hmmmm. Are they open 24/7, with breakfast served at all times?(The best part about KTP was getting breakfast food at 2 am.)
This place sounds promising.

It's a nationally recognized truck stop. Of course it's open 24/7.

On a side note, it is rated one of the best in the country.

Simply Red 04-01-2007 05:36 PM

Dos Hombres formerly off 40 by Blue Springs Bowl.

Simply Red 04-01-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red

closed down.

Shadester 04-01-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

closed down.

They opened a Dos Hombres in the River Market

http://doskc.com/

Megbert 04-01-2007 05:54 PM

Don't feel like looking through the entire thread but "Dagwoods"? anyone?

Megbert 04-01-2007 05:57 PM

Ooh and Wimpys on Troost. Italian Steak Sandwich. Droooool.

Sully 04-01-2007 06:06 PM

Damn... I hadn't thought about Harry T's in years. When I was a kid I used to go there...

Simply Red 04-01-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZChiefFan
Ooh and Wimpys on Troost. Italian Steak Sandwich. Droooool.

Yeah that rings a bell..

Simply Red 04-03-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully
Damn... I hadn't thought about Harry T's in years. When I was a kid I used to go there...

What kinda food please?

Slick32 04-03-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
Henry's Hamburgers, caddy corner to East Jr. High in Leavenworth.

And Foe's Broasted Chicken just down the street.

Used to go there instead of eating the crappy cafeteria food.

Did that used to be McRoys Broasted Chicken?

Slick32 04-03-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.

Smaks is the place you are thinking of. I was a burger flipper at the one in Leavenworth. They basically died when McDonalds got big.

Smaks Fast Food Restaurant 47th Troost - Circa 1965 (google search)

Their Big Mac matchup was a Smakaroo. There were days we sold hamburgers for .10 ea.

I think McDonalds is the only place you could get thinner hamburgers.

Slick32 04-03-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Fred and Reds - Joplin

Chicken Annies - Pittsburg, KS

Chicken Mary's - Pittburg as well.

Whistler Hamburgers - Carthage

Ah yes, the chicken wars of SE Kansas!

Some of the other great resturants of my youth.

Pikes Peak in San Diego, CA
The Tree Steakhouse in Jacksonville, FL
Straw Hat Pizza, San Leandro, CA.
King of Pizza, Downtown Philadelphia, PA Best pizza in the world!
Mom's Diner Hayward, CA

Simply Red 04-30-2007 01:15 PM

Though it may be old news locally; I hear Strouds is done.

That sucks...

Stewie 04-30-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

That sucks...

The one up north is closing now? That does suck.

KcMizzou 04-30-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

That sucks...

Wow, seriously? I hadn't heard a thing about it.

tooge 04-30-2007 01:31 PM

There was this little place in Roeland Park where the Walmart is now called the WAJI. A little dump that had great burgers and onion rings. Also The Tenderloin Grill (huge fried pork tenderloins and pork snoot sandwiches) on southwest blvd is still there i think. Also there was peoples in Lenexa in the 80's that was sort of our family place when I was in high school.

stlchiefs 04-30-2007 01:34 PM

Is there still a Strouds in Wichita or has that closed too?

Baby Lee 04-30-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

That sucks...

Anyone know if KT Fryers is making a comeback? Their Lenexa restaurant burned.

Simply Red 04-30-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Anyone know if KT Fryers is making a comeback? Their Lenexa restaurant burned.

Not sure. Bump, to get you an answer.

cardken 05-01-2007 12:11 AM

Some others , hope not already mentioned. Burger joint, on Wornall and Olive maybe WHIMPEY's BURGERS, PIZZA INN,Paseo, Mama Tios mexican food, also WYLIES did rock. loved the Monte Cristos at BENNIGANS, I also remember RAX in K.C., They still have WEINERSCHNITZELS out here in Vegas, sadly not in the A Frame buildings like back in the day. Does anyone remember a fast food place, late 70's early Eighy's called CHUTES, the place was a drive in type SONIC but the food came to you in Oversized BANK cyliders and came to you in "Chutes". The jingle went "AT chutes the food comes to you" weird ate there once the location was downtown area, crazy memories.

Mr. Flopnuts 05-01-2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Shakey's Pizza.

There was a window just inside the entrance where you could watch them make the pizzas. Also, they sometimes had guys playing banjos.

Shakey's was the shit.

MadMax 05-01-2007 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts
Shakey's was the shit.

Shakey's brings back some good memories for me as well :) Also, Stacks on Chouteau trfwy. best italian steak sammich on the planet......Awesome onion rings or fried shrooms too. Back int he day you could get a combo Italian steak and fried shrooms for like $3.50 and it was two meals easy...We used to party across the street at the Chouteau Inn also lol

MadMax 05-01-2007 01:52 AM

Quote:

What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Trachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

Kings-cheese frenchies
In-A-Tub- Taco's
Texas Toms- variety but mostly tenderloins
Hayes- nice greasy cheeseburgers
Taco Johns- Taco salads ( I got gas across the street one night and forgot to pay...really i did.. when I came out 3 cop cars surrounded me and ordered me on to the ground. I explained it was an honest mistake and the station owner declined to press charges ) I was scared shitless and thanked him very much lol...That was in the 70's before DWI's so it was a valuable lesson to me..
Bobby Bell's BBQ- large portions of very decent bbq
There also was a place called Mr. Piggy's that didn't last long, but I remember getting a double tenderloin with cheese there and hated to see it go away....
All these places were on or around N.Oak trfwy North of the river

Simply Red 05-01-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMax
Kings-cheese frenchies
In-A-Tub- Taco's
Texas Toms- variety but mostly tenderloins
Hayes- nice greasy cheeseburgers
Taco Johns- Taco salads ( I got gas across the street one night and forgot to pay...really i did.. when I came out 3 cop cars surrounded me and ordered me on to the ground. I explained it was an honest mistake and the station owner declined to press charges ) I was scared shitless and thanked him very much lol...That was in the 70's before DWI's so it was a valuable lesson to me..
Bobby Bell's BBQ- large portions of very decent bbq
There also was a place called Mr. Piggy's that didn't last long, but I remember getting a double tenderloin with cheese there and hated to see it go away....
All these places were on or around N.Oak trfwy North of the river

Nice. In a tub - tacos, I know I've eaten there but don't for the life of me remember which location(s.)

Simply Red 05-01-2007 07:56 AM

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid..._kansas_city-i

POND_OF_RED 05-09-2007 03:12 AM

Where is the closest place to get some of these....
http://www.checkers.com/images/fries_big.jpg
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Simply Red 05-09-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEA_OF_RED
Where is the closest place to get some of these....
http://www.checkers.com/images/fries_big.jpg
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

They're all over down here in Ga. and they're mighty tasty.

Alton deFlat 05-09-2007 09:32 AM

Here's the address of the nearest to Blue Springs..

506 South Main
O'Fallon, MO 63366

...just 191 miles away

stlchiefs 05-09-2007 09:35 AM

There was a Checkers around 63rd and Troost a couple years back, but who knows what's there now, the building is a revolving door of fast food places. BUT it does have dual drive thru's which is cool

Chief Faithful 05-09-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.

Smacky the seal!

Chief Faithful 05-09-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

The one up north is closing now? That does suck.

What about the original location in the South by Center HS?

4th and Long 05-09-2007 09:47 AM

http://www.wlra.us/hb/hbhappychef.jpg

tomahawk kid 05-09-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long

Are those Happy Chef's any good?

We pass about 50 of them on the way to Training Camp in the summer and have debated a few times.

What would you compare the fare to?