ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU ***** OFFICIAL 2013 KANSAS FOOTBALL THREAD ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268663)

Saul Good 07-12-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9806902)
Move this to the Realignment thread. Don't need it in here.

You mean you don't want to turn this thread into a troll war? I'm happy to discuss the five arrests of the WR you just picked up in the most respectful manner possible...

Bambi 07-12-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9807192)
You mean you don't want to turn this thread into a troll war? I'm happy to discuss the five arrests of the WR you just picked up in the most respectful manner possible...

A true Al Capone we got here:

Feb. 13, 2010: disorderly conduct. (charge waived)

Aug. 10, 2010: disorderly conduct, criminal damaging and an underage liquor violation. (charges dismissed)

Aug. 20, 2011: underage liquor violation.

Feb. 9, 2013: disorderly conduct.

Final arrest was for theft in which he took back his own cap and gown from his girlfriend's car.

Imon Yourside 07-12-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9807385)

Aug. 10, 2010: disorderly conduct, criminal damaging and an underage liquor violation. (charges dismissed)

Final arrest was for theft in which he took back his own cap and gown from his girlfriend's car.

To tha Pit with him!!!!!!

Titty Meat 07-12-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9807385)

Looks like he has more arrests than KU wins within that time frame

Mr. Plow 07-12-2013 12:35 PM

And here we go.....

Saul Good 07-12-2013 12:56 PM

http://philly.barstoolsports.com/fil...tbull-dale.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9807420)
And here we go.....

Mr. Plow 07-12-2013 01:11 PM

I've now seen that gif twice today, which is two times too many.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-12-2013 01:47 PM

The two best things I've done to enhance my message board experience is putting Bo's Pelini and Prisondouche on ignore. If only it worked within quotes.

Bambi 07-12-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9807415)
Looks like he has more arrests than KU wins within that time frame

Yet he still wants to come to Kansas. Strange isn't it?

Prison Bitch 07-12-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9807420)
And here we go.....

I'm with you - the thread is about KU football. Why Saul has to come on here and flame, is really beyond me. It's very disappointing he behaves like that.

Lzen 07-12-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9807598)
I'm with you - the thread is about KU football. Why Saul has to come on here and flame, is really beyond me. It's very disappointing he behaves like that.

Well to be fair to Saul, that was Bo's Pelini.

Braincase 07-12-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9806902)
Move this to the Realignment thread. Don't need it in here.

I no longer post in that thread.

Braincase 07-18-2013 05:45 AM

Nice to read that new players are recruiting additional players to Kansas. Looks like Marquel Combs helped to move a mountain...

Link

OL Pearce Slater ‘recruited’ by fellow signee

Although he has been relatively quiet since arriving on campus earlier this summer, Kansas University defensive tackle Marquel Combs, the team’s unofficial recruiting guru, is still at it.

So says El Camino Community College offensive lineman Pearce Slater, who earlier this month committed to KU after taking a visit to Lawrence and being hosted by Combs.

Slater, a 6-foot-8, 320-pound tackle from Torrance, Calif., said he knew of Combs, who played his junior-college football down the street from Slater’s high school, before meeting him.

“When somebody’s over there balling like he did, you know about them,” said Slater of Combs’ standout career at Pierce College in Los Angeles.

The connection to Combs went beyond just knowing about him. The two had mutual friends, and when one of them heard that Slater was receiving interest from KU, the friend made sure to connect the two Californians. That previous experience made Combs a natural to host Slater on his visit to Lawrence in late June, and Combs wasted no time jumping back into his role as master recruiter. He spent most of the time the two were together hyping KU and selling what he believes is a bright future.

“Yeah, that’s what he does,” Slater said with a laugh. “When I was on my visit, he was getting after me, just saying, ‘Let’s do it, let’s get here and get going.’ He’s a character.”

Of course, several members of KU’s coaching staff also played a key role in landing Slater, with tight-ends coach Jeff Blasko getting credit for finding him and offensive-line coach Tim Grunhard and head coach Charlie Weis getting credit for helping seal the deal.

Slater, a three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, said the coaching staff’s NFL experience was a big factor in his choosing KU over offers from Arizona State, Texas Tech and Utah. He also said Paul Buskirk, KU’s associate athletic director for student support, played a big role in helping him realize he could graduate from El Camino this summer and be eligible this fall.

“When I went on my visit, that’s when we found out it was even possible,” said Slater, whom many believed would be a hot target in the Class of 2014.

Slater is in the process of finishing up his final summer session at El Camino, which is slated to end Aug. 8, and hopes to report to campus as close as possible to the Aug. 7 opening day of fall camp.

“I’m gonna try to figure out a way to get my grades posted early,” Slater said. “But if not, I’ll get there as soon as I can that same week my grades are posted. I’m in very good shape of being eligible.”

Slater said KU coaches told him he would get an opportunity to compete for a first-team reps and that most likely would come at right tackle, where he played throughout his juco career.

“In high school, I played just a few games at left tackle,” Slater said. “But I’ve gotten really comfortable at right tackle. I think that’s my strongest spot.”

Regardless of where he plays or how much, Slater sounds like a guy who has bought into the Weis mantra of getting after it both in the weight room and the classroom.
“I’m coming in ready for whatever’s thrown at me,” he said. “If the chance comes that I get to play right away, I’ll take that. If not, I’m more than happy to work and do whatever it takes to get to that point eventually.

“I like to have fun. I’m a real fun guy, and I may joke around, but when it’s time to get down to business, I’m always ready to go.”

Slater does not yet know whom he will room with and said he was leaning toward wearing jersey number 71, which he wore in high school as homage to his mother’s birth year (1961) and his birth month (October).

Bambi 07-18-2013 09:52 PM

Take it for what it's worth but the KU boards are saying that Harwell has been cleared by Miami to complete his classes and will be eligible to play for KU this fall.

Braincase 07-19-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9820429)
Take it for what it's worth but the KU boards are saying that Harwell has been cleared by Miami to complete his classes and will be eligible to play for KU this fall.

Smart move if they did. That's the kind of thing that gets talked about by recruiters when Miami and another school are going after the same kid.

Braincase 07-22-2013 02:00 PM

Is Charlie the most honest coach in the Big 12?

Al Czervik 07-22-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9827350)
Is Charlie the most honest coach in the Big 12?

I like it.....call it what it is...and has been....a shitty program for the last 4 years.
Time to call out those that dont want to work.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-22-2013 04:15 PM

It looks like Mr. Stoops is swooping in and attempting to steal Mr. Slater from KU in the 11th hour.

Bambi 07-22-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 9827625)
I like it.....call it what it is...and has been....a shitty program for the last 4 years.
Time to call out those that dont want to work.

That's KU sports is. Something sucks you say so. The sooner you move forward the sooner they can be back.

tk13 07-22-2013 04:36 PM

LMAO

Quote:

“Everyone wants to play,” Weis said. “There’s no one that wants to not play. I said, ‘Have you looked at that pile of crap out there? Have you taken a look at that?’ So if you don’t think you can play here, where do you think you can play? It’s a pretty simple approach. And that’s not a sales pitch. That’s practical. You’ve seen it, right? Unfortunately, so have I.”
http://deadspin.com/charlie-weis-on-...of-c-872065080

HolyHandgernade 07-23-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9827640)
It looks like Mr. Stoops is swooping in and attempting to steal Mr. Slater from KU in the 11th hour.

Latest rumor is that Slater tweeted "Rock Chalk" after his OU visiti and will be at KU.

Bambi 07-23-2013 06:30 PM

bwahahahaha!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I asked <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Baylor&amp;src=hash">#Baylor</a> S Ahmad Dixon if the Bears could win the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Big12&amp;src=hash">#Big12</a> title this year? He said, &quot;Can God save a hooker?&quot; Me: no words.</p>&mdash; Chip Brown (@ChipBrownOB) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB/statuses/359809323905466370">July 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bambi 07-23-2013 07:53 PM

Adidas coming out with some great T's. So happy KU is one of their franchise properties.

http://lf.hatworld.com/hwl?set=sku%5...ile:product%5D

http://lf.hatworld.com/hwl?set=sku%5...ile:product%5D

Braincase 07-24-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 9829477)
Latest rumor is that Slater tweeted "Rock Chalk" after his OU visiti and will be at KU.

Slater has reconfirmed his commitment to Kansas.

Braincase 07-24-2013 09:44 AM

Looks like FoxSports likes what Charlie had to say.

Link

Keeler: Weis' 'pile of crap' comment borders on genius

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- His team may be crap, but the numbers aren't. According to the Web site Topsy.com, which tracks reputable Twitter trends for free, as of midday, the words "Charlie Weis" had received 746 original mentions Monday.

The words "Charlie Sheen" had 649.

The Irish playwright Brendan Behan wasn't thinking of Kansas' second-year football coach when he said this, but it applies: "There is no such thing as bad publicity, except your own obituary."

The point is not whether Weis went off the rails when he stepped in front of the microphone in Dallas and referred to his 1-11 Jayhawks of 2012 as a "pile of crap."

He did. And they were.

No, the point is that the man made you look.

Whether you laughed or groaned or put your head in your hands, America, for a brief instant, was actually thinking about Kansas football again. Who says Weis isn't a genius?

Whatever you think of the guy as a football coach -- the general consensus, based on the dumpster fire he left at Notre Dame, being "not much" -- you have to admit: Weis plays the Fourth Estate the way Charlie Daniels plays the fiddle. When it was all said and done, Weis won 2013 Big 12 Football Media Days by about three lengths. This is significant, considering that it might very well be the last Big 12 football victory of any kind the Jayhawks pick up the rest of the year.

"Yeah, Coach is right," Jayhawks running back James Sims, one of the less crappy parts of the roster, told reporters in Dallas. "We need to work harder."

"That's what we love as players; we love how candid he is," quarterback Jake Heaps told the Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World. "We know exactly where we stand with him. We don't have to worry about him sugarcoating it and him playing mind games with us. It's all about honesty. And it pushes you to get better. At least you know where you stand."

As a sound bite, yes, it was a dumb thing to say. Taken in context -- Weis had praised the university and its facilities before launching into his epic sandbagging rant -- it was still probably a dumb thing to say.

Dumb, but honest. The Jayhawks ranked among the bottom 20 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision in passing offense (113th), scoring offense (115th), pass efficiency defense (116th), total defense (113th), scoring defense (109th), pass defense (114th), passing efficiency (120th) and sacks (116th). In hindsight, "crap" might be kind. Weis' first team was to organized football what William Hung was to opera.

When you're rebuilding, bad is expected. Bad is part of the deal. What you don't want is to be bad and buried. The Jayhawks' last three home games in 2012 drew an average of 37,607 patrons to Memorial Stadium, or roughly 75.1 percent of capacity (50,071). That was a 9.7 percent drop from the last three tilts on Mount Oread in 2011, which brought in an average of 41,642.

Winning, in the long run, figures to cure many of those ills. But winning -- winning consistently -- is still probably some ways off in Lawrence, despite a recruiting haul in February that featured a stunning influx of 18 junior college transfers out of a group of 26.

Charlie knows this. So Charlie tells it like it is, and we chuckle right along. But if the Jayhawks aren't bowling -- or sniffing .500, at the worst -- by Year Four, the locals won't be so easily amused.

But, hey, if you're going to stink up the joint, at least be interesting in the process. More fun with Topsy: On July 12, as of 1:30 in the afternoon, the terms "Kansas, football" had received 29 notable mentions on Twitter. On July 22 at 1:30, it was 462. Enter "Kansas, football" into Google.com and 216,000 different news articles appear. Type in "Kansas, Charlie Weis," and roughly 355,000 results pop up. Type in "Kansas, pile of crap," and it's 668,000 results.

OK, so maybe that last part wasn't exactly what he had in mind.

But look: People are talking Kansas football. In July. Of course, the hard part for Weis is getting them to talk about it in November, too.

Saul Good 07-24-2013 10:10 AM

I'm curious as to what Kansas fans think about these comments.

If he turns the program around, he's great. If he doesn't, these words will live in infamy. What are your thoughts today without the benefit of hindsight?

Was he shitting all over his own players? Is he a mad genius?

Bambi 07-24-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9831187)

If he turns the program around, he's great. If he doesn't, these words will live in infamy. What are your thoughts today without the benefit of hindsight?

This is what everyone at Kansas thinks...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>It&#39;s crazy how the media take something so small and turn it into a big story</p>&mdash; Keon Stowers (@KeonStowers98) <a href="https://twitter.com/KeonStowers98/statuses/359822283168161792">July 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

Saul Good 07-24-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9831201)
This is what everyone at Kansas thinks...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>It's crazy how the media take something so small and turn it into a big story</p>&mdash; Keon Stowers (@KeonStowers98) <a href="https://twitter.com/KeonStowers98/statuses/359822283168161792">July 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

I should have clarified: I'm never interested in your opinion on anything.

ArrowheadHawk 07-24-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

The record doesn't show it but I believe Weis is a better coach than Gill. It's time to start getting some W's but I like the man so far. At this point in Gill's tenure I didn't like him. I may just be a blind homer hoping for things to work out though.

Braincase 07-24-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

He was telling everybody what everybody already knew. 1-11 is a pretty shitty record and the product Kansas put out on the filed last year was a pile of crap, and the only way this year's team is going to change that perception is by putting in the work, get better, and win some games.

Most honest coach at Media Days if you ask me.

Bambi 07-24-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9831222)

I didn't give my opinion. I simply copied a tweet from one of the players you claim HCCW was "shitting all over".

You can't be this stupid can you?

Saul Good 07-24-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 9831237)
The record doesn't show it but I believe Weis is a better coach than Gill. It's time to start getting some W's but I like the man so far. At this point in Gill's tenure I didn't like him. I may just be a blind homer hoping for things to work out though.

I agree that he's a better coach than Gill. Just trying to figure out how I would feel. Points for honesty, I guess. Really seems like he just took a runny dump all over his existing players, though.

On the other hand, something seems to be working, as his recruiting class looks better on paper. Winning cures all ills. If he doesn't produce, I don't know that he ever gets another HC job.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-24-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9831222)

That was the opinion of a Kansas player, which pretty much hit the nail on the head for a lot of us.

Braincase 07-24-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9831267)
I agree that he's a better coach than Gill. Just trying to figure out how I would feel. Points for honesty, I guess. Really seems like he just took a runny dump all over his existing players, though.

On the other hand, something seems to be working, as his recruiting class looks better on paper. Winning cures all ills. If he doesn't produce, I don't know that he ever gets another HC job.

The players at Media Days agreed with the Coach, and like his honesty. Heaps and Sims both expressed that sentiment.

Bambi 07-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9831267)

Just ****ing leave dude. Your 2 and 3 star recruits are waiting.

Saul Good 07-24-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9831331)
The players at Media Days agreed with the Coach, and like his honesty. Heaps and Sims both expressed that sentiment.

If the players are cool with it, they could rally around it, I guess. Those two are going to be the leaders next year, so that helps. The guy has balls to put that out there on media day. I'll give him that.

Braincase 07-24-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9831392)
If the players are cool with it, they could rally around it, I guess. Those two are going to be the leaders next year, so that helps. The guy has balls to put that out there on media day. I'll give him that.

He's got people talking. It's funny. KU is the most talked about 1-11 program in the country, and whether for good or bad, we're in peoples' heads.

Buehler445 07-24-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9831662)
He's got people talking. It's funny. KU is the most talked about 1-11 program in the country, and whether for good or bad, we're in peoples' heads.

Meh. I don't care. Hopefully the recruits he used that line on come in and curbstomp ****ers and winning ensues.

Al Czervik 07-24-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9831856)
Meh. I don't care. Hopefully the recruits he used that line on come in and curbstomp ****ers and winning ensues.

This....the sooner we flush the shit that Radio left behind, the better....
****ing Turner Gill.....Loser

Braincase 07-24-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 9831998)
This....the sooner we flush the shit that Radio left behind, the better....
****ing Turner Gill.....Loser

What was it he said? He punted 29 TG recruits to the curb?

Bambi 07-25-2013 07:30 AM

WR recruit from the Woodlands commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/footb...Patrick-148382

Prison Bitch 07-25-2013 07:33 AM

Wow, nice 2 star.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-25-2013 09:47 AM

guy is being brought in to return kicks, if he does much of anything as a receiver I'll be surprised\happy.

Bambi 07-25-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9833086)
Wow, nice 2 star.

I think Charlies has maxed out his 3 and 4 start recruits from a team that has only won 3 games in 2 years. The rest of 2014 is going to hinge on what they do this fall.

Braincase 07-25-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9833313)
I think Charlies has maxed out his 3 and 4 start recruits from a team that has only won 3 games in 2 years. The rest of 2014 is going to hinge on what they do this fall.

I'd like to know his 40 time. Apparently he's got some speed.

* According to phog.net, he ran severaL 40'S between 4.38 and 4.44.

Braincase 07-26-2013 05:32 AM

Ex-Jayhawks have no issue with Weis’ remarks

Link

2013 Kansas University graduates Bradley McDougald and Toben Opurum may no longer be playing football in Lawrence, but both have a bunch of friends still on the team and an interest in the future of the program, particularly since they both are attempting to get their professional football careers going just down the road in Kansas City, Mo.

Thursday, at Chiefs training camp in St. Joseph, Mo., McDougald and Opurum became the latest in a long line of people to be asked about KU coach Charlie Weis’ comments earlier at Big 12 media days earlier this week in which he linked the phrase “have you seen that pile of crap” with his recruiting strategy.

None of the four players who were with Weis in Dallas — Jake Heaps, Ben Heeney, Cassius Sendish and James Sims — were the least bit offended by their coach’s comments, and Opurum and McDougald do not appear to be either.

“I mean, that’s what it was, truth be told,” Opurum, an undrafted free agent fullback, told the Associated Press. “We didn’t put out a good product on the field and he was just expressing how he feels about it. He may have been able to word it differently, but that’s the type of guy he is. He’s going to tell you straight forward. He’s not going to beat around the bush.”

McDougald, an undrafted free agent safety who pointed out that last year’s 1-11 record did not deserve any sugar-coating, agreed with Opurum and said he had no issue with the comment.

“He wasn’t disrespecting any players,” McDougald said during Thursday’s interview. “1-11 was a crap season. He’s complimented me many times on my skill and me as a player. So I can’t really take too much offense to it because of what we produced last year.”

More on commitment
Late Wednesday night, JayhawkSlant.com reported that Tyler Patrick, a 5-foot-11, 171-pound wide receiver from The Woodlands (Texas) High had orally committed to the Jayhawks.

At the time of his commitment, Patrick had just a few offers (Air Force, Lamar and Louisiana-Monroe) but was receiving interest from several BCS programs, including Iowa State and Oklahoma State. The aspect of his game that seemed to attract the most interest was his speed. Patrick ran a 4.4-second 40-yard dash time at KU’s Friday Night Lights camp earlier this summer and has been clocked as fast as 4.38. Rob Ianello was the lead recruiter for Patrick, who said KU’s receivers coach was a fan of his wheels.

“He liked my straight-line speed and lateral speed,” Patrick told JayhawkSlant.com. “It showed I just don’t have track speed. He said with my speed I will have a chance to compete right away.”

Patrick becomes the seventh member of the Class of 2014 to pledge his services to the Jayhawks, joining offensive linemen Jacob Bragg and Apa Visinia, defensive backs Joe Dineen and Andre Maloney, linebacker Kyron Watson and running back Traevohn Wrench.

Fan Appreciation Day
KU has designated Aug. 17 as the date for this year’s Fan Appreciation Day. The first of two KU practices that day will be open to the public and will run from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Jayhawk fans are invited to attend the open practice and then stick around afterwards to get autographs and meet their favorite Jayhawks.

KU is slated to open fall camp on Aug. 7 and will kick off the season with a 6 p.m. home game Sept. 7 against South Dakota.

Bambi 07-26-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9833361)
I'd like to know his 40 time. Apparently he's got some speed.

* According to phog.net, he ran severaL 40'S between 4.38 and 4.44.

wow. Is Pierson even that fast?

Braincase 07-28-2013 08:25 AM

Cassius Sendish... looking forward to seeing him play this fall. So far, representing Kansas very well.

Link

KU newcomer Sendish embraces challenge of turnaround

By Jesse Newell

Kansas University defensive back Cassius Sendish had never been to a media days event before this week.

I feel like I’m living a dream right now,” Sendish said Monday at Big 12 media days in Dallas. “It’s surreal. I’m just grateful for the opportunity. It’s a blessing to represent the University of Kansas and my family.”

Perhaps it’s fitting that Sendish was answering a variety of questions about KU even though he’s yet to play a down for the Jayhawks. More than 20 newcomers, including Sendish, have joined KU this season from the junior college ranks.

“I think the experience that we’ve had on the field will definitely help,” Sendish said, “because we’ve been in the situations that we’re probably going to be in again.”
KU coach Charlie Weis approached Sendish, a junior who played at Arizona Western College last season, about coming to media days because he believed the DB would be a good ambassador for the school.

“If (the juco guys) are all like that, sign me up,” Weis said.

The 6-foot, 187-pound Sendish said his transition has gone smoothly so far, mostly because the structure at Arizona Western closely mimics a Division I program. The weights, conditioning, practices and even class scheduling are set up to prepare athletes for their next stops.

“I didn’t really have any bumps in the road,” Sendish said, “or anything where I was like, ‘Wait, I didn’t know I couldn’t do that.’”

Because many media members didn’t know the players’ backgrounds, Sendish answered a lot of questions about last year’s 1-11 season even though he wasn’t a part of it.

The Waldorf, Md. native said the opportunity to help turn around a struggling program was one of the biggest draws to KU.

“We understand that we got picked 10th (in the Big 12) because of what we produced on the field the last few years,” Sendish said. “We understand that until we prove something on the field that they’re going to rate us how they rate us. We’re looking forward to producing.”

Sendish has been impressed by how much KU’s veterans have welcomed in the new arrivals this offseason. He also believes the team has bonded through tough workouts with strength coach Scott Holsopple.

“We have to do what it takes to go where we want to go,” Sendish said. “I feel like the team is buying in, and that’s what it takes.”

TribalElder 07-28-2013 09:02 AM

I think KU will shock a few teams this season

Braincase 07-28-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9840267)
I think KU will shock a few teams this season

Winning cures alot of ailments. Also gets a few folks to shut the hell up.

kcchiefsus 07-28-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9840278)

And losing hopefully causes KU fans to commit mass suicide.

Buehler445 07-28-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9840278)

Makes it worse in my view. The worst KU squacking happened in 2008.

Braincase 07-28-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 9840313)
And losing hopefully causes KU fans to commit mass suicide.

Stay classy.

and one more thing...

WE'RE.IN.YOUR.HEAD.
psychological pwnage is such fun.

Bambi 07-28-2013 08:14 PM

Not official but...

QB
9 Jake Heaps | 6-1, 210, JR
14 Mike Cummings | 5-10, 205, SO
2 Montell Cozart | 6-2, 180, FR

RB
29 James Sims | 6-0, 202, SR
6 Darrian Miller | 5-10, 191, RS SO
36 Taylor Cox | 5-11, 212, SR
25 Brandon Bourbon | 6-1, 225, JR

WR
19 Justin McCay | 6-2, 213, JR
12 C. Matthews | 6-1, 192, SR
82 Andrew Turzilli | 6-3, 188, JR

WR
11 Tre' Parmalee | 5-10, 172, SO
13 Ishmael Hyman | 6-0, 170, FR

WR
3 Tony Pierson | 5-10, 171, JR
1 Rodriguez Coleman | 6-3, 195, JR
7 Mark Thomas | 6-0, 210, JR

TE
41 Jimmay Mundine | 6-2, 242, JR
87 J. Shelley-Smith | 6-5, 247, RS FR

OT
77 Aslam Sterling | 6-5, 312, SR
61 Pat Lewandowski | 6-5, 287, JR
79 Riley Spencer | 6-6, 302, SR

OT
71 Pearce Slater | 6-8, 320, JR
74 Brian Beckmann | 6-6, 298, RS FR
72 Zach Fondal | 6-5, 290, JR

OG
63 Ngalu Fusimalohi | 6-2, 324, JR
73 Damon Martin | 6-3, 295, SO

OG
65 Mike Smithburg | 6-3, 296, JR
64 Randall Dent | 6-4, 293, SR
70 Gavin Howard | 6-4, 300, SR

C
66 Dylan Admire | 6-3, 280, SO
78 Joe Gibson | 6-3, 274, FR

DT
9 Jordan Tavai | 6-3, 295, SR
95 Andrew Bolton | 6-3, 280, JR
94 Tyler Holmes | 6-3, 286, RS FR

DT
92 Marquel Combs | 6-3, 310, JR
90 Kevin Young | 6-3, 287, SR
96 Keba Agostinho | 6-2, 277, SR

NT
98 Keon Stowers | 6-3, 297, JR
97 Ty McKinney | 6-3, 302, JR

LB
58 Courtney Arnick | 6-2, 205, RS FR
27 Victor Simmons | 6-1, 220, JR

LB
93 Ben Goodman | 6-3, 255, SO
55 Michael Reynolds | 6-1, 240, JR

LB
31 Ben Heeney | 6-0, 227, JR
32 Schyler Miles | 6-2, 224, SO

LB
51 Samson Faifili | 6-0, 240, JR
57 Jake Love | 6-0, 221, SO

CB
7 Kevin Short | 6-2, 185, JR
24 JaCorey Shepherd | 5-11, 190, JR

CB
12 Dexter McDonald | 6-1, 200, JR
26 Brandon Hollomon | 5-10, 170, SO

S
5 Isaiah Johnson | 6-1, 210, SO
30 Tevin Shaw | 5-11, 193, RS FR

S
33 Cassius Sendish | 6-0, 187, JR
23 Dexter Linton | 5-10, 195, SR

K
15 Michael Mesh | 5-10, 180, JR
16 Trevor Pardula | 6-5, 209, JR

P
13 Ron Doherty | 5-11, 204, SR

LS
71 Zackary Young | 6-6, 255, SR
68 John Wirtel | 6-3, 215, FR
60 Reilly Jeffers | 6-2, 231, SO

H
17 Blake Jablonski | 6-1, 208, JR

KR

PR

Braincase 07-28-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9842015)
Not official but...

QB
9 Jake Heaps | 6-1, 210, JR
14 Mike Cummings | 5-10, 205, SO
2 Montell Cozart | 6-2, 180, FR

RB
29 James Sims | 6-0, 202, SR
6 Darrian Miller | 5-10, 191, RS SO

WR
19 Justin McCay | 6-2, 213, JR
12 C. Matthews | 6-1, 192, SR
82 Andrew Turzilli | 6-3, 188, JR

WR
13 Ishmael Hyman | 6-0, 170, FR

WR
3 Tony Pierson | 5-10, 171, JR
1 Rodriguez Coleman | 6-3, 195, JR
7 Mark Thomas | 6-0, 210, JR

TE
41 Jimmay Mundine | 6-2, 242, JR
87 J. Shelley-Smith | 6-5, 247, RS FR

OT
77 Aslam Sterling | 6-5, 312, SR
61 Pat Lewandowski | 6-5, 287, JR
79 Riley Spencer | 6-6, 302, SR

OT
71 Pearce Slater | 6-8, 320, JR
74 Brian Beckmann | 6-6, 298, RS FR
72 Zach Fondal | 6-5, 290, JR

OG
63 Ngalu Fusimalohi | 6-2, 324, JR
73 Damon Martin | 6-3, 295, SO

OG
64 Randall Dent | 6-4, 293, SR
70 Gavin Howard | 6-4, 300, SR

C
66 Dylan Admire | 6-3, 280, SO
78 Joe Gibson | 6-3, 274, FR

DT
9 Jordan Tavai | 6-3, 295, SR
95 Andrew Bolton | 6-3, 280, JR
94 Tyler Holmes | 6-3, 286, RS FR

DT
92 Marquel Combs | 6-3, 310, JR
90 Kevin Young | 6-3, 287, SR
96 Keba Agostinho | 6-2, 277, SR

NT
98 Keon Stowers | 6-3, 297, JR
97 Ty McKinney | 6-3, 302, JR

LB
58 Courtney Arnick | 6-2, 205, RS FR
27 Victor Simmons | 6-1, 220, JR

LB
93 Ben Goodman | 6-3, 255, SO
55 Michael Reynolds | 6-1, 240, JR

LB
31 Ben Heeney | 6-0, 227, JR
32 Schyler Miles | 6-2, 224, SO

LB
51 Samson Faifili | 6-0, 240, JR
57 Jake Love | 6-0, 221, SO

CB
24 JaCorey Shepherd | 5-11, 190, JR

CB
12 Dexter McDonald | 6-1, 200, JR
26 Brandon Hollomon | 5-10, 170, SO

S
5 Isaiah Johnson | 6-1, 210, SO
30 Tevin Shaw | 5-11, 193, RS FR

S
33 Cassius Sendish | 6-0, 187, JR
23 Dexter Linton | 5-10, 195, SR

K
15 Michael Mesh | 5-10, 180, JR

P
13 Ron Doherty | 5-11, 204, SR

LS
71 Zackary Young | 6-6, 255, SR
68 John Wirtel | 6-3, 215, FR
60 Reilly Jeffers | 6-2, 231, SO

H
17 Blake Jablonski | 6-1, 208, JR

KR

PR

Nice pull. I caught Jayhawk Slant's early depth chart. We're going to be stronger at some positions than I previously anticipated. Some others... not as much, but that's what happens when prospects pull bullshit moves.

Bambi 07-28-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9842057)
Nice pull. I caught Jayhawk Slant's early depth chart. We're going to be stronger at some positions than I previously anticipated. Some others... not as much, but that's what happens when prospects pull bullshit moves.

I like the depth of the DL but there don't seem to be standout stars. Losing Martin is a blow but we all know the Big 12 isn't exactly full of 5 star defenses.

The offense will need to control the ball and put up points. And I think they will. The RB's are awesome and having Pierson and McCay out there in place of Pick and Patterson KU will definitely be able to move the ball. Mundine is going to break out this year as well.

Braincase 07-28-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9842073)
I like the depth of the DL but there don't seem to be standout stars. Losing Martin is a blow but we all know the Big 12 isn't exactly full of 5 star defenses.

The offense will need to control the ball and put up points. And I think they will. The RB's are awesome and having Pierson and McCay out there in place of Pick and Patterson KU will definitely be able to move the ball. Mundine is going to break out this year as well.

I believe in our coaching staff. I'm looking forward to a year better than the last two.

Buehler445 07-28-2013 09:38 PM

Pierson is moving to WR?

Bambi 07-28-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9842182)
Pierson is moving to WR?

Yes, he'll be in the slot and will probably be getting lots of short passes/reverses and such.

With Sims, Miller and Cox in the backfield you have to get Pierson on the field as much as possible.

ArrowheadHawk 07-29-2013 02:06 PM

KANSAS-TEXAS FOOTBALL GAME TO BE BROADCAST ON JAYHAWK TV NETWORK
7/29/2013 11:01:00 AM

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The Jayhawk Television Network will broadcast the Kansas-Texas football game on Nov. 2 in Austin, Texas. The game will be produced by Time Warner Cable's Metro Sports alongside the Longhorn Network. Kickoff is slated for 2:30 p.m., at UT's Darrell K. Royal-Texas Stadium.

In addition to the game broadcast, Metro Sports will also be adding a pre- and post-game show for this game, like those scheduled around all home games during the 2013 season.

The Kansas-Texas game will be the second telecast of the 2013 football season for the Jayhawk TV Network as it is also broadcasting the KU season-opener against South Dakota on Saturday, Sept. 7. Game time for the KU-USD game is slated for 6 p.m., at Memorial Stadium.

Statewide coverage plans for the Jayhawk Television Network games will be released soon. JTV is currently available in the Kansas City area on Metro Sports via Time Warner Cable and Comcast, and on WOW in Lawrence.

Kansas opens its 2013 fall camp on Wednesday, Aug. 7. Tickets for the 2013 season are available and can be purchased by contacting the Kansas Ticket Office at 1-800-34-HAWKS or via the web at KUAthletics.com.

KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.

Braincase 07-30-2013 08:39 PM

Had a bit of an epiphany. I realized the one thing the KU has going for it that few teams can claim. We've got nothing to lose. So many other teams have reputations and accolades, pride in their respective programs that can be a vulnerability. Ours has been eroded... so screw it... we've got nothing to lose. Rock Chalk out with your cock out.

Bambi 07-30-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9846560)
Had a bit of an epiphany. I realized the one thing the KU has going for it that few teams can claim. We've got nothing to lose. So many other teams have reputations and accolades, pride in their respective programs that can be a vulnerability. Ours has been eroded... so screw it... we've got nothing to lose. Rock Chalk out with your cock out.

And 99% of those other teams never reach the incredible standards they set for themselves.

Just think about it... when was a team like Penn State or Nebraska relevant on the national scene? Yet their fans think they belong with the likes of Alabama, USC, and Ohio State.

It's crazy.

Saul Good 07-31-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9846735)
And 99% of those other teams never reach the incredible standards they set for themselves.

Just think about it... when was a team like Penn State or Nebraska relevant on the national scene? Yet their fans think they belong with the likes of Alabama, USC, and Ohio State.

It's crazy.

Nebraska has five national titles, three Heisman trophy winners, and 15 players in the college football HOF. Their football program dwarfs anything Kansas has ever done in basketball, yet Kansas fans think they belong up there with UCLA, North Carolina, and Kentucky.

It's one thing to troll the realignment thread. Trolling your own team's thread is taking your idiocy to a new level.

Tiger's Fan 07-31-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9847188)
Nebraska has five national titles, three Heisman trophy winners, and 15 players in the college football HOF. Their football program dwarfs anything Kansas has ever done in basketball, yet Kansas fans think they belong up there with UCLA, North Carolina, and Kentucky.

It's one thing to troll the realignment thread. Trolling your own team's thread is taking your idiocy to a new level.

Bitter MUron is bitter.

KU is, and has ALWAYS been a basketball elite.

And always will be.

At least you MUrons have a conference to root for now. It's a rather pathetic existence as a fan, but it's all you've got, ever had, or ever will have.

SEC SEC SEC!!!

Braincase 07-31-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Troll Fail. Please remember that two of those three bluebloods you mention have their arenas named after Kansas alumni.

2nd most wins all-time. Most conference championships ever. Most successful coaching tree in the game. 42 NCAA Appearances (4th All-Time).

And you bring up UCLA? Who won most of their championships during the Sam Gilbert era? GMAFB.

Braincase 07-31-2013 08:49 AM

Opinion: Don’t sell Weis short for choice of words

Link

Since perception is ninth-tenths reality, it’s safe to say Charlie Weis goofed by going national with his “pile of crap,” phraseology he used with recruits when he let them know they should feel confident about immediate playing time.

But shouldn’t reality count for at least 10 percent of reality? I mean, before declaring that one sentence too many and a 1-11 debut season means the Weis hire has exploded in athletic director Sheahon Zenger’s face, would it be OK to look at the entire picture first, even if it means not joining the pile-on? (See how easy it is to be guilty of a poor choice of words. Flag me 15 yards.)

Weis inherited a roster lacking young depth on both lines and in the secondary and one that didn’t have a quarterback capable of winning Division I games. So he brought Dayne Crist on board. He was no better, and in fact, even worse. He also recruited Brigham Young transfer Jake Heaps, who deserves a chance to be judged on his own performance, not on that of Crist. Brady Quinn became way better playing for Weis for two years at Notre Dame, after two substandard seasons as Ty Willingham’s quarterback. Maybe Heaps can make a similar improvement.

But that’s a maybe.
Here’s a definite: In one of Weis’ three jobs — two of which he assigned to himself — Kansas football is performing better than at any time since such records have been tracked. Weis is head coach, offensive coordinator and academic liaison. The least-discussed area, the one that supposedly is the most important, is academics. Before Weis became coach, the football team’s highest grade-point average was 2.75. That figure has been bumped from first to fourth with GPA’s of, in order, 3.00, 2.83, 2.86. Piling — there I go again, excuse me — stacking those report cards on top of each other is a nice counter-punch to any rival coach looking to use another pile against Weis during recruiting visits.

You won’t read about that nationally because it’s not sexy news and it doesn’t fit anybody’s predetermined profile of a grumpy coach who made obnoxious, grandiose statements at the beginning of his tenure at Notre Dame.

Not only do the athletes’ grades look better, their bodies already do as well and many of those are bodies whose growth was set back for two years by a strength and conditioning program that left players rolling their eyes because it was primitive compared to the ones they experienced in college.

Drill sergeant Scott Holsopple, who built a sterling reputation working for Marquette basketball and Florida football, has made a big-time impact, just two springs and two summers into the job. The beer-league softball look, commonplace just a couple of years ago, has gone out of style.

Again, these gradual building blocks that don’t make for sexy copy, but do turn into steps away from losing and toward winning.

Kansas won just one game last year, but the players played hard for Weis, didn’t let a losing record turn them into losers. Wiser play-calling — Weis got away from running the ball against a Rice team that couldn’t stop the run, and the Texas and Texas Tech games included questionable decisions — played a hand in KU not winning a couple of more games, but the Jayhawks never looked like a team that didn’t give strong effort for their coach.

Weis didn’t always use the cleanest language to motivate players to play hard, so they were the least surprised of any group to hear him use the words he chose at Big 12 media day. That doesn’t excuse him choosing those words because opposing student sections will use them against him and the national media won’t let up.
But to obsess on two numbers (1 ... 11) and three words (pile ... of ... crap) without giving a mention to serious gains already made in three important areas (academics, recruiting and strength and conditioning) doesn’t come close to telling the whole story. Four or more victories in 2013 and six or more in 2014 will speak more loudly than three stinky words.

Saul Good 07-31-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9847261)
Troll Fail. Please remember that two of those three bluebloods you mention have their arenas named after Kansas alumni.

2nd most wins all-time. Most conference championships ever. Most successful coaching tree in the game. 42 NCAA Appearances (4th All-Time).

And you bring up UCLA? Who won most of their championships during the Sam Gilbert era? GMAFB.

I'm not denying Kansas's credentials as an elite program. They certainly are. In case you missed it, I was calling Nebraska an elite historical program that deserves to be mentioned with the USCs of the world just as much as Kansas deserves to be mentioned with the Kentuckys.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Nebraska has a 2 split NCs. As you know, basketball doesn't allow for that so 1-pt NC game losses in 1953 and 1957 = zero title either year for Kansas. The number of HOF is also pointless given there are far more football players than basketball players.

It's all irrelevant anyway, nobody thinks Nebraska football = Kansas basketball except for folks living in Nebraska and Missouri.

RockChalk 07-31-2013 09:15 AM

Tom Keegan writes the worst articles, whether fact or opinion, period.

Saul Good 07-31-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847356)
Nebraska has a 2 split NCs. As you know, basketball doesn't allow for that so 1-pt NC game losses in 1953 and 1957 = zero title either year for Kansas. The number of HOF is also pointless given there are far more football players than basketball players.

It's all irrelevant anyway, nobody thinks Nebraska football = Kansas basketball except for folks living in Nebraska and Missouri.

Nebraska has five national titles and five more undefeated seasons in which they didn't get titles awarded under the bizarre system back in the day. They also had a one point loss in an Orange Bowl because they went for two at the end of the game when a tie would have given them the title. Why don't you bring those up, and why in the hell are you bringing up losses from sixty years ago as if you should get half a title for games you lost?

It's bad enough that Kansas tries to claim make-believe Helms "championships". Now you're trying to claim partial titles because the game was close?

Feel free to give Memphis half of your last title.

Bambi 07-31-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

You forgot. Nobody gives a **** about your opinion on anything.

Bambi 07-31-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847356)

Nebraska Football was equal to KU Basketball roughly 20 years ago. Then again Fordham used to be the most powerful football team in the nation as well.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9847385)
Nebraska has five national titles and five more undefeated seasons in which they didn't get titles awarded under the bizarre system back in the day. They also had a one point loss in an Orange Bowl because they went for two at the end of the game when a tie would have given them the title. Why don't you bring those up, and why in the hell are you bringing up losses from sixty years ago as if you should get half a title for games you lost?

Nebraska is a very respectable program. 8th all-time in the rankings:http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/ran...m_rankings.php They're a lot like UCONN in that they had an incredible 30-year run under one coach but nothing much outside of him.

Quote:

It's bad enough that Kansas tries to claim make-believe Helms "championships". Now you're trying to claim partial titles because the game was close?
KU is #3 in the Sagarin all-time: http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

Quote:

I don't disagree. KU 03 and KU 08 were both #1 in Pomeroy, #1 in NCAA scoring margin, and blew out their FF opponent prior. One team played poorly and barely lost. The other watched the other team play poorly. You're right the KU teams weren't any different.

Tiger's Fan 07-31-2013 10:13 AM

Not only do MUron fans ride the coattails of the SEC, they're starting in on B1G teams too.

It's really got to suck not having ANYTHING to tout about your own crappy program, in any sport whatsoever.

Braincase 07-31-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9847385)

You mean Memphis' vacated Final Four? Another double-dumbass on you.

Braincase 07-31-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9847348)
I'm not denying Kansas's credentials as an elite program.

"yet Kansas fans think they belong up there with UCLA, North Carolina, and Kentucky"

Um... ok. Backtrack much? Sometimes you write some pretty stupid stuff.

Al Czervik 07-31-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9847503)
"yet Kansas fans think they belong up there with UCLA, North Carolina, and Kentucky"

Um... ok. Backtrack much? Sometimes you write some pretty stupid stuff.

Butthurt fans of programs that have NEVER won anything tend to do that alot.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9847452)
Nebraska Football was equal to KU Basketball roughly 20 years ago. Then again Fordham used to be the most powerful football team in the nation as well.

The math ratings make perfect sense. KU is more like USC football at #3 overall. Greatness over a long period of time, with iconic players.

Braincase 07-31-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 9847516)
Butthurt fans of programs that have NEVER won anything tend to do that alot.

I'll give credit where credit is due. Missouri did win a national championship in baseball in 1954. Next year marks the 60th anniversary of their last championship.

Bambi 07-31-2013 11:00 AM

I'm not sure why Kentucky basketball always gets placed so high. The SEC didn't even allow black players until the 70's or something.