ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs to Work Out Geno Smith in KC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271509)

RunKC 03-28-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536637)
Its a month before the draft, they aren't going to sign whoever they take this early, no matter who it is.

Agreed

O.city 03-28-2013 07:59 PM

It would be monumentally stupid to do that at this point, even if there were a Luck sitting there.

Tribal Warfare 03-28-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536637)
Its a month before the draft, they aren't going to sign whoever they take this early, no matter who it is.

Jake Long during his draft was signed the week of the draft.

O.city 03-28-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9536670)

Sure, but this isn't the week of the draft.

Mother****erJones 03-28-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536667)
It would be monumentally stupid to do that at this point, even if there were a Luck sitting there.

It would be stupid to sign an Andrew Luck type QB this time before the draft?

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:03 PM

Signs that we might be taking Geno...

***** telling Reid on tv to not just focus on the quarterbacks in the draft
Clark Hunt saying on the radio that they missed Geno Smith at the Senoir Bowl
Geno saying on a radio interview with 610 a month lr so ago that his agent had talked to KC
John Dorsey saying at the Alex Smith press conference that he wouldnt rule out still drafting a quarterback because he wants to keep his options open
Alex Smith not getting an extension yet
Us bringing Geno to KC for a 2 day workout/visit when everyone else except Milliner didn't get flown to KC for their private workout
Daniel Jerimiah loving Geno and listing all the things Geno has that Reid looks for in qbs
Chiefs scouts calling Geno "a young McNabb"
Andy Reid referencing the situation in 1999 where he turned down the Saints offering their whe draft and another pick for the Eagles 2nd overall so they could take Ricky Williams a d Andy Reid turned it down and took McNabb
Andy/John showing that Geno is one of their top 8 players
The team signing 12 free agents to fill holes on the team to eleviate the need for certain positions

What did I miss?

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9536680)

I dont think so..

O.city 03-28-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9536680)

Sure. This early.

A week before? Yeah, go ahead. If there was a Luck QB sitting there and a team offered you something crazy stupid, like their next 3 1,2,3 rounders, I'd think about it.

Especially if you already had your Qb.

Cephalic Trauma 03-28-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536685)

Geno saying on a radio interview with 610 a month lr so ago that his agent had talked to KC
John Dorsey saying at the Alex Smith press conference that he wouldnt rule out still drafting a quarterback because he wants to keep his options open
Us bringing Geno to KC for a 2 day workout/visit when everyone else except Milliner didn't get flown to KC for their private workout
Daniel Jerimiah loving Geno and listing all the things Geno has that Reid looks for in qbs
Andy Reid referencing the situation in 1999 where he turned down the Saints offering their whe draft and another pick for the Eagles 2nd overall so they could take Ricky Williams a d Andy Reid turned it down and took McNabb
The team signing 12 free agents to fill holes on the team to eleviate the need for certain positions

What did I miss?

2nd grade?

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

What did I miss?

I think you nailed it.

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9536670)

Sadly, that's why Parcells passed on Ryan and took Long...he could get him signed easier.

5 seasons later, the Dolphins let Long walk for NOTHING after winning nothing and Matt Ryan has lead his team to the playoffs every year.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:08 PM

There will be a lot of Geno haters out there but less than a month the chocolate penii will be ours..

Cephalic Trauma 03-28-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536706)
There will be a lot of Geno haters out there but less than a month the chocolate penii will be ours..

You can keep it man.

I prefer vanilla vagina.

BigRedChief 03-28-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

What did I miss?

It's just not going to happen except to MAYBE hold the other teams hostage to force a trade.

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536687)
Sure. This early.

A week before? Yeah, go ahead. If there was a Luck QB sitting there and a team offered you something crazy stupid, like their next 3 1,2,3 rounders, I'd think about it.

If you already have "your quarterback" you arent drafting first overall.

I wouldn't trade Luck for 3 ones, twos and threes.

That would be lime winning a million dollars in the lottery and spending all your winnings on lottery tickets.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9536714)
It's just not going to happen except to hold the other teams hostage to force a trade.

Well only two possibilities to trade and thats the Eagles and Bills.

O.city 03-28-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536720)
If you already have "your quarterback" you arent drafting first overall.

I wouldn't trade Luck for 3 ones, twos and threes.

That would be lime winning a million dollars in the lottery and spending all your winnings on lottery tickets.

Well, our FO might believe they just traded for "their" QB. And yeah, that probably wouldn't be enough but I was just making an example.

If someone said, "you can have my next 2 drafts and next 4 first rounders", you probably pull that trigger.

BigRedChief 03-28-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536722)
Well only two possibilities to trade and thats the Eagles and Bills.

The Bill fans are convinced that their pick is Barkley.

What about the Raiders? Jags?

O.city 03-28-2013 08:14 PM

If the Raiders trade for Flynn, that might hurt our trade down possibilities. I don't really think the Eagles want Geno, nor the Jags at this point.

Teams dropping out don't help us.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9536733)
The Bill fans are convinced that their pick is Barkley.

What about the Raiders? Jags?

NFL.com just reported two hours ago that Raiders have legitimate interest in Matt Flynn and the Jaguars plan to build around Gabbert.

O.city 03-28-2013 08:15 PM

I haven't been around much since this was announced but has The Bad Guy said he's heard anything about it and/or draft stuff?

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9536714)
It's just not going to happen except to MAYBE hold the other teams hostage to force a trade.

The rules changed since the Eli/Rivers situation.

You can't draft a kid and then trade him right away.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536740)
If the Raiders trade for Flynn, that might hurt our trade down possibilities. I don't really think the Eagles want Geno, nor the Jags at this point.

Teams dropping out don't help us.

Yes but it does help us in an eadier path to just grab Geno if were not trading down.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536747)
I haven't been around much since this was announced but has The Bad Guy said he's heard anything about it and/or draft stuff?

Nope not recently..

Mother****erJones 03-28-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536687)
Sure. This early.

Im sorry thats totally wrong. Our number 1 need is QB, it would be stupid NOT to sign a Luck before the draft. Why try to wait for a trade for one of the best QB prospects when we NEED one

splatbass 03-28-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536618)
All signs pointed to the Colts taking Luck. Hell he was compared to Peyton Manning. Colts brought him in for a workout. Luck did not sign a deal before the draft.

You are missing my point. Try reading it again. There are NO signs pointing to Geno. There are NO signs pointing to anything, and Reid and Dorsey probably haven't made a decision yet. You are seeing what you want to see.

BigRedChief 03-28-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536749)

Why would they do that? It's your pick. That takes away some of your bargaining power.

are you sure on this?

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9536765)
Why would they do that? It's your pick. That takes away some of your bargaining power.

are you sure on this?

I think hes wrong.

Mitch holthus and Kendall Gammon were talking about it today saying we could draft geno than trade him.

Canofbier 03-28-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9536765)

are you sure on this?

I remember reading something along those lines as well, but I don't recall the source.

BigRedChief 03-28-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536774)
I think hes wrong.

Mitch holthus and Kendall Gammon were talking about it today saying we could draft geno than trade him.

The Bills could be giving us a shitty deal and then hoping Geno falls to them. they need excitement and re-energize a fan base. We take him, they would cough up a better deal.

Mother****erJones 03-28-2013 08:24 PM

Trading a Luck for ANY amount of picks would be legally reeruned. Especially the team with the worst QB play the past 2 seasons and has NO future QBs

O.city 03-28-2013 08:25 PM

It's an idea, but it's pretty risky. If you don't like him enough to draft him and keep him as a Chief, don't draft him. Otherwise, you could end up getting ****ed.

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536732)
Well, our FO might believe they just traded for "their" QB. And yeah, that probably wouldn't be enough but I was just making an example.

If someone said, "you can have my next 2 drafts and next 4 first rounders", you probably pull that trigger.

I wouldn't trade a kid like Luck because he increases the value of everyone on the team if you do trade him for future picks, they are only gonna be late firsts anyway.

Let's say you trade first overall Luck for four firsts that end up around 26th overall.

#1 is worth 3000 points and 4 #26th overalls equal 2800 points.

Even with a bunch of 2s and 3s added in, NOTHING can add up to an elite franchise quarterback.

Especially when you keep your eye on the prize....winning it all.

O.city 03-28-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536790)
I wouldn't trade a kid like Luck because he increases the value of everyone on the team if you do trade him for future picks, they are only gonna be late firsts anyway.

Let's say you trade first overall Luck for four firsts that end up around 26th overall.

Even with a bunch of 2s and 3s added in, NOTHING can add up to an elite franchise quarterback.

It would all depend on what you thought you had. Based on what I've read/heard, Reid and Dorsey think pretty highly of Alex Smith. Agree or Disagree, if you thought you already had your QB, you probably make that deal.

2 picks in the first 3 rounds for 3/4 years, gives you the ammo to do pretty much whatever you want.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Alex Smith has 2 years left. If he sucks than you can not re sign him and you have Geno waiting in the wings.

Bewbies 03-28-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536795)
It would all depend on what you thought you had. Based on what I've read/heard, Reid and Dorsey think pretty highly of Alex Smith. Agree or Disagree, if you thought you already had your QB, you probably make that deal.

2 picks in the first 3 rounds for 3/4 years, gives you the ammo to do pretty much whatever you want.

Except trade up for a QB someone else wants...

O.city 03-28-2013 08:32 PM

If they take Geno at 1, they are also behind each team picking in the first round this year, because we don't have a first round pick playing.

I'm not sure a 2-14 team can handle that. Yeah, we probably weren't the normal 2-14 team. There isn't really anyone up there thats a world class talent sure, but to take a guy that won't play likely at all at 1? Meh, I don't see that happening.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

In 1990.

This is 2013. That shit don't fly anymore.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536809)
If they take Geno at 1, they are also behind each team picking in the first round this year, because we don't have a first round pick playing.

I'm not sure a 2-14 team can handle that. Yeah, we probably weren't the normal 2-14 team. There isn't really anyone up there thats a world class talent sure, but to take a guy that won't play likely at all at 1? Meh, I don't see that happening.

Thats pretty much any player we take. All of our holes have been filled.

Dorsey said BPA and who knows who that could be..

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536814)
Thats pretty much any player we take. All of our holes have been filled.

Uh, no, you ****ing n00b Dumbass.

Who is the starting ILB next to Johnson? Who is the starting right tackle? Who is the starting center? Who is the starting left guard?

Who is the starting safety opposite Berry? Who is the slot receiver?

O.city 03-28-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9536815)

Who is the starting ILB next to Johnson? Who is the starting right tackle? Who is the starting center? Who is the starting left guard?

In his defense, any player of those positions taken at 1 would be an overdraft or poor value. But so would taking a guy who won't even play a down.

Most of the positions you mentioned are pretty deep in this draft with good solid players later in teh draft. I'm sure Dexter is the guy the see in the slot and Dunta as the safety, with the Abdullah or whatever guy back there too.

I figure Schwartz wil start somewhere, so thats likely a spot thats filled.

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9536813)
In 1990.

This is 2013. That shit don't fly anymore.

Trades from the 2012 draft went by the same draft value chart...except the RG3 trade and that's because multiple teams were bidding for the 2 slot.

It's NOT outdated.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Slot reciever is Mccluster.

Starting guard is Schwartz.

Starting Free Safety is Robinson.

Starting Right Tackle is Stephenson.

Starting center is Hudson. You can pick up a good center in the third.

ILB is a need but Kiko Alonzo is there in the later rounds 3-6

Cephalic Trauma 03-28-2013 08:42 PM

Word comes that the Chiefs will bring Geno in to possibly coax somebody to move up or just to do their homework, and everyone slobbers all over the report.

Guys, let it go.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536828)
Slot reciever is Mccluster.

Starting guard is Schwartz.

Starting Free Safety is Robinson.

Starting Right Tackle is Stephenson.

Starting center is Hudson. You can pick up a good center in the third.

ILB is a need but Kiko Alonzo is there in the later rounds 3-6

:facepalm:

You're a ****ing dumbass.

How old are you, 13?

BossChief 03-28-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

We Would still have 3 picks in the top 100 selections as well as 4 picks after that.

That's plenty of ammo to fill those holes you listed as well as drafting Geno...or are you suggesting we should use the top pick on a player to fill one of those holes?

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9536837)

How old are you, 13?

What dont you like about that.

Hell Dorsey told John Clayton that they dont have any more holes to fill.

penbrook 03-28-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

How old are you, 13?

Were not gonna get Elite players at every ****ing position.

NFL doesnt work that way.

Cephalic Trauma 03-28-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536873)

See: 49ers.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536852)
We Would still have 3 picks in the top 100 selections as well as 4 picks after that.

That's plenty of ammo to fill those holes you listed as well as drafting Geno...or are you suggesting we should use the top pick on a player to fill one of those holes?

I said nothing about Geno.

Furthermore, filling a hole in the draft with a 3-7 round pick is very different from actually filling a hole with a proven, veteran player.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9536873)

Hey ****ball, YOU said that "All of our holes are filled". I pointed out that they are NOT.

Now, you're changing your argument?

New World Order 03-28-2013 09:02 PM

Well, if we do draft Geno this board will have an orgasmic explosion

AussieChiefsFan 03-28-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9536901)

of epic proportions.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

How old are you, 13?

I don't see how that is really that far off from what we'll see as our starting lineup heading into TC/OTAs.

Starting ILB will be either a draft pick or FA (Dansby cough, cough) and personally, I'd do both. LG, who the **** knows. I don't particularly want to slide Asamoah to LG and I literally know nothing about Schwartz. Center is probably Hudson, unless they decide to move him to guard or he hasn't recovered (which is a viable possibility; his leg was shredded). RT I also have no idea. Allen probably demonstrates more traits you'd expect physically that a RT personifies but personally, I'd rather have Stephenson as a RT if we keep Albert and don't draft Joeckel due to his athleticism and the fact we'll still be utilizing a ZBS primarily and Stephenson was/is a better pass blocker. A gamble nonetheless.

That being said, there aren't any real locks on the OL sans Asamoah IMO. ILB is a need easily filled in the draft and can be supplemented with FA. Safety, ugh. There are very few solid FS prospects in this draft, even in the later rounds. If Dunta can play there, sweet. I'm not counting on it yet as I've yet to see anything from Reid/Dorsey that indicates that.

splatbass 03-28-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9536901)

And if we don't - a good possibility - this board will melt down like never before.

notorious 03-28-2013 09:15 PM

Orgasmic explosion until they announce the trade.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9536912)
Starting ILB will be either a draft pick or FA (Dansby cough, cough) and personally, I'd do both.

I thought Dansby had more in common with DJ and less in common with a true "Thumper"? He's 31 years old and the Dolphins of all teams, didn't seem to upset to replace him. He might be a nice pickup for vet's minimum but I don't think he's at that point just yet.

While I've been saying that the Chiefs should spend a 3rd rounder on an ILB since last year, it's impossible to predict that the hole would actually be filled, especially if there's not a proven veteran behind him (and Brandon Siler doesn't count, IMO).

Quote:

LG, who the **** knows. I don't particularly want to slide Asamoah to LG and I literally know nothing about Schwartz.

Here's my "beef" with Schwartz: For two straight years, he's been hyped in the media as a "under the radar player", yet he's on his third team in three years.

I hope he works out but I wouldn't bet on it, especially long term.

Quote:

Center is probably Hudson, unless they decide to move him to guard or he hasn't recovered (which is a viable possibility; his leg was shredded).

He's definitely a question mark at this point, at either position.

Quote:

RT I also have no idea. Allen probably demonstrates more traits you'd expect physically that a RT personifies but personally, I'd rather have Stephenson as a RT if we keep Albert and don't draft Joeckel due to his athleticism and the fact we'll still be utilizing a ZBS primarily and Stephenson was/is a better pass blocker. A gamble nonetheless.

Stephenson showed that the game wasn't too big last year and he came in extremely raw. He *could* be the long term solution at right tackle, or not. Allen, on the other hand, did look overwhelmed far too frequently for my taste.

Quote:

That being said, there aren't any real locks on the OL sans Asamoah IMO.

Asamoah is in a contract year and really needs to step it up. Otherwise, he'll lose his job and probably not get it back, unless there's an injury.

I really, really liked him coming out of college but he's just been average at best. Average is fine, if the rest of the line is average or above average, but he's definitely been hurt by center and right tackle play.

He hasn't been a dominant player that I thought he would quickly become in the NFL.

Quote:

ILB is a need easily filled in the draft and can be supplemented with FA. Safety, ugh. There are very few solid FS prospects in this draft, even in the later rounds. If Dunta can play there, sweet. I'm not counting on it yet as I've yet to see anything from Reid/Dorsey that indicates that.

Yeah, this is a BIG issue. We all saw Jon McGraw back there. I just hope we don't see something similar in 2013.

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9536889)
I said nothing about Geno.

Furthermore, filling a hole in the draft with a 3-7 round pick is very different from actually filling a hole with a proven, veteran player.

That's why we signed 12+ free agents as well as locked up our own (except Dorsey) guys.

Draft Geno and let his career take the Aaron Rodgers/Colin Kaepernick path.

Seriously Dane, after that ha of free agents this team doesn't have enough holes that the draft can't fill em all...there are a lot of bargain basement free agents left that we could bring in for 1 year deals, too...if needed after the draft.

They could draft Geno and sit him for 2 years and not lose a god damned thing over taking any other player in this draft at 1.

If there would be a better usage of that pick, I'd like to know how.

O.city 03-28-2013 09:20 PM

Why is drafting a RT at 1 so ghastly if he's an all pro type guy?

O.city 03-28-2013 09:23 PM

Or taking a pass rusher with huge upside?

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-28-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536966)

Because it'd be like giving a 4 year $40 million contract to a middle reliever.

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Because it's a position that offers very little impact towards wins and losses and a first overall pick needs to impact wins and losses.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9536949)
I thought Dansby had more in common with DJ and less in common with a true "Thumper"? He's 31 years old and the Dolphins of all teams, didn't seem to upset to replace him. He might be a nice pickup for vet's minimum but I don't think he's at that point just yet.
I don't think that Sutton wants a true "thumper" at ILB. They've been bitching for the last 3 years about having to take Scott off the field on subs while keeping Harris in. IMO (and I've bitched about this incessantly) you need two ILBs that can cover, even if one or both aren't true thumpers or fantastic against the run. In fact, having 2 ILBs who can cover, are quick and aren't thumpers helps your run D against 3W sets IMO. Just an opinion though
While I've been saying that the Chiefs should spend a 3rd rounder on an ILB since last year, it's impossible to predict that the hole would actually be filled, especially if there's not a proven veteran behind him (and Brandon Siler doesn't count, IMO).

Here's my "beef" with Schwartz: For two straight years, he's been hyped in the media as a "under the radar player", yet he's on his third team in three years.

I hope he works out but I wouldn't bet on it, especially long term.
I literally have no idea about him. Never watched him, don't really know anything about him other than what's been available in the media.

He's definitely a question mark at this point, at either position.
I really like Rodney but he's definitely not a player to be counted on at the moment.

Stephenson showed that the game wasn't too big last year and he came in extremely raw. He *could* be the long term solution at right tackle, or not. Allen, on the other hand, did look overwhelmed far too frequently for my taste.

It's funny, breaking down all of the PS games and the TC that I went to, I thought that Allen looked like a solid blocker and Stephenson looked lost. Maybe that has to do with Allen being thrown into the fire early but he didn't impress me nearly as much as Stephenson did.

Asamoah is in a contract year and really needs to step it up. Otherwise, he'll lose his job and probably not get it back, unless there's an injury.
I think he's been above average the past 2 seasons as a run blocker and decent in pass pro. Hence, why I'm hesitant to move him to LG. Haven't really evaluated him or anything since he's still under contract and didn't really view him as a piece to be worried about

Yeah, this is a BIG issue. We all saw Jon McGraw back there. I just hope we don't see something similar in 2013.

The last part, this is why I would have loved to have #34. Cyprien could fall, Elam could fall, etc. Both would have been solid additions.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536974)
Or taking a pass rusher with huge upside?

This I don't really ahve a problem with.

Quote:

This I do. You don't need All Pro tackles IMO. You need a top tier QB. Average to slightly above average QB play improves your OL (see Barry Richardson + Kyle Orton). Having an elite QB allows you to be productive even with horrific players at RT and LT (see the Bears, GB, NO). You need average, consistent OL play. While having an elite LT helps, it isn't a game changer. Nobody is confusing 2013 Bryant McKinnie with Joe Thomas.

Mr. Laz 03-28-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536749)

link?

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:30 PM

You know how important right tackles are?

Look at the free agents list...there are multiple guys out there right now that are quality right tackles that nobody wants to pay.

Sebastian Vollmer just got a bag of chips and he is probably the best right tackle in the game...that's after being a free agent for a long time.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9536958)
That's why we signed 12+ free agents as well as locked up our own (except Dorsey) guys.

Draft Geno and let his career take the Aaron Rodgers/Colin Kaepernick path.

Seriously Dane, after that ha of free agents this team doesn't have enough holes that the draft can't fill em all...there are a lot of bargain basement free agents left that we could bring in for 1 year deals, too...if needed after the draft.

They could draft Geno and sit him for 2 years and not lose a god damned thing over taking any other player in this draft at 1.

If there would be a better usage of that pick, I'd like to know how.

They better fill the ILB and Safety positions or it'll be 2011 all over again.

Furthermore, their offensive line is clearly in flux, which isn't a good thing.

I'm not stating that they can't fill these holes. But they're not filled yet.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9536981)
The last part, this is why I would have loved to have #34. Cyprien could fall, Elam could fall, etc. Both would have been solid additions.

Yeah, I don't think that Asamoah has the strength, especially lower body strength, to be an effective left guard.

We can only hope that the Chiefs will trade back for additional picks.

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9537000)
link?

Iirc Pioli said it during the combine.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9537001)
You know how important right tackles are?

Look at the free agents list...there are multiple guys out there right now that are quality right tackles that nobody wants to pay.

Sebastian Vollmer just got a bag of chips and he is probably the best right tackle in the game...that's after being a free agent for a long time.

What? Bag of chips? WTF?

He got more than $8 million guaranteed this season, about $250k less than Jake Long.

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9537016)
They better fill the ILB and Safety positions or it'll be 2011 all over again.

Furthermore, their offensive line is clearly in flux, which isn't a good thing.

I'm not stating that they can't fill these holes. But they're not filled yet.

They have 3 top 100 picks AFTER the first overall and those are positions that are deep and talented. No question we will be able to draft a starting linebacker there.

There are two intriguing guys at safety that cod surprise.

Menzie and Abdullah.

If Reid/Dorsey don't agree, there should be options at 96.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9537112)
They have 3 top 100 picks AFTER the first overall and those are positions that are deep and talented. No question we will be able to draft a starting linebacker there.

There are two intriguing guys at safety that cod surprise.

Menzie and Abdullah.

If Reid/Dorsey don't agree, there should be options at 96.

Abdullah doesn't intrigue me at all, personally.

The Bad Guy 03-28-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9535559)
Did your source have anything to say on it?

Just that the interest in genuine.

I'm back and forth on believing that. It's odd that after watching all his game tapes, meeting him at the combine that they are just now becoming enamored with him.

Source told me that the trade for Alex Smith was agreed to before the combine. I think La Conforia reported the same thing when the trade broke but I'm not sure.

The Wednesday announcement came after the Chiefs got a chance to talk to Alex and make sure he wanted to come here.

That would at least lend to the fact that they may really like Geno. I'll say this that the 2 day visit in KC is really compelling about all of this.

If he wows them, he very well may be the pick.

I legitimately think they are undecided at this point. I think it's between 5 guys - Joeckel, Fisher, Geno, Ansah and Jordan.

Canofbier 03-28-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9536935)
And if we don't - a good possibility - this board will melt down like never before.

I think that most posters here (even the pro-Geno ones) would be OK with a number of players, provided that we can trade back and get good compensation for it.

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9537074)
What? Bag of chips? WTF?

He got more than $8 million guaranteed this season, about $250k less than Jake Long.

4 years, 17 million
8 guaranteed

Cool ranch or nacho cheese?

O.city 03-28-2013 09:56 PM

I worry that they made the trade for Alex Smith before they effectively did due diligence on all the potential draft picks.

BossChief 03-28-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9537130)
Just that the interest in genuine.

I'm back and forth on believing that. It's odd that after watching all his game tapes, meeting him at the combine that they are just now becoming enamored with him.

Source told me that the trade for Alex Smith was agreed to before the combine. I think La Conforia reported the same thing when the trade broke but I'm not sure.

The Wednesday announcement came after the Chiefs got a chance to talk to Alex and make sure he wanted to come here.

That would at least lend to the fact that they may really like Geno. I'll say this that the 2 day visit in KC is really compelling about all of this.

If he wows them, he very well may be the pick.

I legitimately think they are undecided at this point. I think it's between 5 guys - Joeckel, Fisher, Geno, Ansah and Jordan.

This is straight up Chiefs porn

O.city 03-28-2013 10:05 PM

Also don't really get the Ansah love, yeah he has tremendous physical upside, but he's just so raw. Thats a bit scary to take that high.

Dave Lane 03-28-2013 10:08 PM

I say we fly a banner over the stadium that says:

"This is the Smith we really need at QB"

During his visit.

I'm in for $100 to make it happen

The Bad Guy 03-28-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9537182)
Also don't really get the Ansah love, yeah he has tremendous physical upside, but he's just so raw. Thats a bit scary to take that high.

In a draft that lacks any real top end talent, I don't really fear taking someone like him.