ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Should I confront my fiance over text messages I found? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267988)

kcbubb 12-24-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones (Post 9237877)
- Yes, the relationship is going very well and yes, she puts on a great front. No coldness or awkwardness at all. Which is why this is so shocking to me.

- Yes, the alternative is basically sit back and do nothing. Which seems wrong to me.

Your biggest question is do you really know your fiancée? Most women change after marriage and lots of men are duped by an act during engagement.

So, yes confront her. Don't worry about checking her phone. That is not a huge deal. Deceiving you and being dishonest is a much bigger deal than invading privacy.

Mosbonian 12-24-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9238903)
Can't get much wider than like and dislike.

So answer the question...

You're asking him to answer your question but I don't see an answer to my question that I asked you...so I will repeat it:

Is she being honest with him?

jd1020 12-24-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 9238925)
You're asking him to answer your question but I don't see an answer to my question that I asked you...so I will repeat it:

I have no proof that she's ever lied to him about liking his family, so...

htismaqe 12-24-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 9238925)

Not to take this thread on a tangent but who the hell are you?

You have 7k posts and I don't remember a single 1 before today.

htismaqe 12-24-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9238929)

So basically you're whole stance on this issue is that the OP is (potentially) making all this up?

Not real conducive to discussion but I guess I see your point...

kcbubb 12-24-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9238744)
Bingo. I have nothing to hide and neither does my wife. If she wants to read my msgs, all she has to do is ask. The same goes for me. And she has. And she will again. And not a single **** will be given about me handing over my phone to her.

This. I don't care. I actually prefer my wife to snoop through my stuff. Bc I don't vent to people. I will tell her to her face and use my lack of venting as an excuse and I think she appreciates that. I tell my wife that a lot of husbands don't tell their wives things bc they don't think their wives can handle it. I tell her that I respect her and I'm going to tell her the truth even if it pisses her off bc I think she can handle it rationally and not be a nut bag.

jd1020 12-24-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9238933)
So basically you're whole stance on this issue is that the OP is (potentially) making all this up?

Not real conducive to discussion but I guess I see your point...

Not sure how you connect those dots.

Mosbonian 12-24-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9238931)
Not to take this thread on a tangent but who the hell are you?

You have 7k posts and I don't remember a single 1 before today.

LOL.....mmaddog.....

htismaqe 12-24-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9238936)
Not sure how you connect those dots.

You said you don't have any proof she was lying. Well, technically we don't have proof that she has done ANYTHING.

What we have is the story of a guy who was paranoid to read his fiancé's text messages without her knowledge...

Mosbonian 12-24-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9238929)

Hmmm....guess that part about him being astonished at her attitude toward his family was glossed over?

htismaqe 12-24-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 9238939)
LOL.....mmaddog.....

HFS

ROFL

Jim Jones 12-24-2012 02:21 PM

Lots of good stuff in this thread, thanks all. Now, to address a few points:

First of all, I'm not worried about the "what else is she lying about?" thing because, hell, I've read her text messages, so I know exactly what is going on with her.

Secondly, I think it's interesting the split on people who think it's OK and those who think it's creepy for me to read her texts. I fully admit I have insecurities/trust issues based on past relationships. I don't think that means I am incapable of being in a relationship. If I "snoop" around and read her phone and find something bad, then **** it, I'm glad I did it. It's better to find out that way then find out 10 years into marriage that I'm handcuffed to a total bitch.

In a little bit of defense for myself, I'm totally open with my shit. Sometimes I'll get a text or I'll be texting someone and she'll pick up my phone to see who it's from or ask who I'm texting and I'll show her. She also goes on my phone to play games. I don't have a passcode on my phone or anything so she's totally open to snoop through there if she wants. Has she? I don't know, but she won't find anything questionable if she does.

jspchief 12-24-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9238919)
It will eventually affect the relationship, especially when it comes to kids.

Not necessarily. You have no way of knowing that.

jd1020 12-24-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9238941)
You said you don't have any proof she was lying. Well, technically we don't have proof that she has done ANYTHING.

What we have is the story of a guy who was paranoid to read his fiancé's text messages without her knowledge...

We have a story about a girl who isn't crazy about her inlaws, but spends time with them because they are her fiances family and is polite to them.

Coupled with a paranoid dude who can't let go of the past.

I haven't read through the entire thread so maybe it's been mentioned before but do we know how long they've been together? Has it been a short time? How many people are going to come out and say, "I really hate your family" after the first few visits?

Mosbonian 12-24-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9238943)
HFS

ROFL

It probably doesn't help I have changed my handle a couple of times....got tired of the occasional irreverent "dog" references when I was "mmaddog"

Then I changed it to Dsnyfn (short for Disney Fan) but then I got all kinds of wonderful comments about what that probably stood for....the best being "Dumb Sh** NY Fan"

So i had them change it to my old HS nickname....my favorite Coach and mentor gave it to me.

soopamanluva 12-24-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9238908)
I'd they have a large gap in their feelings one of them is going to have to give up more than what they are comfortable with. That leads to regret and resentment.

I'm not suggesting they have to be in lock-step. Everybody in a relationship has disagreements. But if their fundamental views of his family are that far off, a bit of compromise won't be enough.

You are right. I'm going through this very issue right now. It does cause problems. I dont like my inlaws and SHE LOVES her fam. Its always a point of contention. She finally just let me stop going around them.

The difference between the op and me is I tell her how I feel and I don't fake.

BWillie 12-24-2012 02:26 PM

If she really is a bitch and shes just nice on the exterior that will come out soon when your married. Id never admit snooping though...but I would consider what life will be like w this woman ten yrs from now....

kcbubb 12-24-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones (Post 9238954)

First of all, I'm not worried about the "what else is she lying about?" thing because, hell, I've read her text messages, so I know exactly what is going on with her.

Secondly, I think it's interesting the split on people who think it's OK and those who think it's creepy for me to read her texts. I fully admit I have insecurities/trust issues based on past relationships. I don't think that means I am incapable of being in a relationship. If I "snoop" around and read her phone and find something bad, then **** it, I'm glad I did it. It's better to find out that way then find out 10 years into marriage that I'm handcuffed to a total bitch.

In a little bit of defense for myself, I'm totally open with my shit. Sometimes I'll get a text or I'll be texting someone and she'll pick up my phone to see who it's from or ask who I'm texting and I'll show her. She also goes on my phone to play games. I don't have a passcode on my phone or anything so she's totally open to snoop through there if she wants. Has she? I don't know, but she won't find anything questionable if she does.

I think you have this sense of guilt for looking through her phone. Get over it. You are marrying this girl and you need to know what you are getting into. She knows that you have trust issues from dishonesty in past relationships. You should know she feels about your family.

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-24-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones (Post 9238954)

Anyway she found out about you looking at her phone? She might of just said these things to call you out on it.

jd1020 12-24-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9238973)
Anyway she found out about you looking at her phone? She might of just said these things to call you out on it.

And the paranoid get more paranoid.

cdcox 12-24-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9238907)
I think the thing being lost here is that in-law relationships vary widely.

Some people may find themselves spending many weekdays/weekends around their in-laws, while others may only interact with in-laws on a few occasions per year. That plays a big part in how bit of a deal it is that she doesn't like them. If she hates them, but only has to put on a friendly front 4 times per year, is it really going to impact the relationship?

Clearly everyone is adding their opinion based on personal experience, which may or may not mirror their situation.

A lot of truth here. It would be really important to know what the expectations were going into a marriage.

Chief_For_Life58 12-24-2012 02:52 PM

just dump this bitch....find yourself a nice alcoholic chick in the smoking section at next seasons home opener

KurtCobain 12-24-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9239008)
just dump this bitch....find yourself a nice alcoholic chick in the smoking section at next seasons home opener

Solid advice

KC native 12-24-2012 03:09 PM

Not reading the thread, but I ****ing hate my wife's family but my wife knows that.

Soooooooooo....I can't tell you what to do.

damaticous 12-24-2012 03:33 PM

I guess I was lucky. my fiance and her daughters were honest about not liking my father. It's something I've heard from all my friends and girlfriends since Jr. High. So I'm used to it.

Some personalities clash and sometimes those personalities are meaningful and close to you. Yeah, it sucks, but no one can make everyone happy.

confront her? Yes. You aren't married. Honesty and communication are VERY important to a relationship...even if you don't agree or understand.

give her props for hanging in their and doing things (spending time with your family) that she doesn't like, but explain to her that they are your family, you love them, and will forever be tied to them.

Hopefully both of you can be understanding and come to an mutual agreement of something that will satisfy you both.

smittysbar 12-24-2012 03:45 PM

POS move going through her phone, hell that is worse than anything she did IMO.

nychief 12-24-2012 03:56 PM

Why were you reading her txt messages, are you both in high school?

RaiderH8r 12-24-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9239008)

If she smokes she pokes.

Chief_For_Life58 12-24-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderH8r (Post 9239092)
If she smokes she pokes.

treat em like dirt theyll stick like mud

Chief_For_Life58 12-24-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9239086)

whatya dang text message anyhow? damn kids these days

Cephalic Trauma 12-24-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 9239074)

Agree. I think reading texts behind her back is even worse. Talk about untrustworthy

Cephalic Trauma 12-24-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9239117)
whatya dang text message anyhow? damn kids these days

Lotta dumbshits in here, but I think you take the cake. Your jokes aren't even funny man.

threebag 12-24-2012 04:42 PM

Next time instead of reading her text send one to her mom.

"Mom, Jim ****ed Molly and she thinks she is pregnant. Then I got mad and ****ed cousin Max. Mom I don't think I will be able to live with myself."

"I loved him and I can't share his anaconda with that little bitch Mom. She has ****ed everyone I have ever dated. I hate her mom."

BigMeatballDave 12-24-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Huh?

How is this a POS move?

BigMeatballDave 12-24-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9239086)

Nothing wrong with it, IMO.

He's planning on marrying this chick.

I'd say it's a good idea. I'd have zero problems with a woman of mine reading my text messages.

Also, I'd be smart enough to delete anything I wouldn't want her to read. :)

My biggest problem with this is why she felt she needed to lie about her feelings about his family.

Imon Yourside 12-24-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Ya it's much better to not trust her and then have kids and divorce 4 years later...ya that's the ticket.

Chief_For_Life58 12-24-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9239136)
Lotta dumbshits in here, but I think you take the cake. Your jokes aren't even funny man.

well uh thank ya kindly trauma. A mighty fine merry christmas to you and yours too

tmh 12-24-2012 05:33 PM

Bring it up in a way thats non accusatory. For instance on the way home say something to the effect of I appreciate that you keep your cool around my family since its obvious they irritate you with moms cooking and my sisters rowdy kid. That will take her aback for a few seconds while she try's to figure out how you were aware. Watch her reaction. You have a 50-50 chance of her admitting to it or doubling down on the lie. React accordingly. Don't admit to anything about reading the text if she swears she doesn't feel that way. There is no use bringing it up at that point anyway

Brock 12-24-2012 05:45 PM

You're lucky you found out she's a piece of shit before you married her.

Mr. Plow 12-24-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9239136)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9239206)
well uh thank ya kindly trauma. A mighty fine merry christmas to you and yours too

http://i.imgur.com/PK8d6h.jpg

alanm 12-24-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9238576)
My mother-in-law IS a shitty cook. And my wife already knows it because she's eaten much more of her cooking than I ever will.

Can't wait for tomorrow's runny/lumpy mashed potatoes. :banghead:

Suck it up Tim and use extra gravy.
My advise is to let the text messages go. It is the season to forgive and nothing good is going to come out of confronting her about it. Hell for all we know maybe because her family hates his family and talks shit on them that she's just playing along. Doubtful I know. But hell just let it go.
Oh and stay away from her ****ing phone.

Fish 12-24-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmh (Post 9239211)
Bring it up in a way thats non accusatory. For instance on the way home say something to the effect of I appreciate that you keep your cool around my family since its obvious they irritate you with moms cooking and my sisters rowdy kid. That will take her aback for a few seconds while she try's to figure out how you were aware. Watch her reaction. You have a 50-50 chance of her admitting to it or doubling down on the lie. React accordingly. Don't admit to anything about reading the text if she swears she doesn't feel that way. There is no use bringing it up at that point anyway

Why bother with these silly games?

Ace Gunner 12-24-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones (Post 9237862)
I guarantee this thread isn't going to be about what the thread title might have led you to think it's about. Sorry about that...

Anyway -- was reading text messages on my fiance's cell phone (Yes, I do that, I'm a privacy invader...but past relationships have led me to be a little paranoid).

I read texts between her and her sister and mom, basically trashing my family, which is who we're spending Christmas Eve with. It wasn't just like your usual, "not really looking forward to going to the in-laws", but it was actually pretty vicious stuff. She was trashing my mom's cooking, basically saying she doesn't like my mom at all (my family has been AMAZING to her)..complaining that all we do is "sit around and talk with a sports game on the TV), trashing my parents house, my sister and her "annoying kid". It was really nasty stuff and a side of her I haven't really seen before.

Question is -- do I confront her? This is all that's gonna be on my mind tomorrow, but confronting her means I have to admit to reading her text messages. I don't know how I can move forward knowing she's been talking all this shit about my family though.

That is a classy ****ing group you run with.

Dallas Chief 12-24-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9239016)
Not reading the thread, but I ****ing hate my wife's family but my wife knows that.

Always so much help aren't you? Feliz navidad pendejo! Enjoy your tamales...I'm set to dig in right now.

Setsuna 12-24-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9238863)
I was going to say this.

Here you sit. Venting your frustrations to a bunch of dumbasses ( we're chiefs fans after all. Except setsuna, he's just a dumbass.). Try to gain some perspective. If its just venting, you're doing the same thing. If she hates them, you probably have some work to do.

Obsession is a problem. :harumph:

Bwana 12-24-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9239016)

I'll take a wild guess that they really don't warm up to you either, Mr Congeniality.

Phobia 12-24-2012 07:13 PM

What you do is mix up some arsenic and fruit punch. You drink a big solo cup and then give her one.

FAX 12-24-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9238523)
There is nothing wrong with her not liking your family as long as she is nice to them. Hell, it speaks to her character that she spends time with them and hides her dislike so well that you had no idea that she didn't like them. She isn't engaged to them. All she has to do is get through several family outings a year, and she can go on her merry way.

You, on the other hand, are creepy. I've met several people who do stuff like this, and they are all insecure, immature people who can't handle adult relationships. You aren't ready for marriage.

I see it more or less this way.

The OP is a sneak and a snoop. If he visited my home I'd inventory the medicine cabinet.

"Trust issues" sounds like code for paranoid, insecure baby man dude.

FAX

Rugby Thompson 12-24-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmh (Post 9239211)

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

say the food was trash and how annoyed you were by them, DO NOT bring up the txt msg at all.

okcchief 12-24-2012 08:08 PM

If she doesn't like your family and can't be honest with you about it then end it. Only problems lie ahead.

mr. tegu 12-24-2012 08:38 PM

You need to make sure you apologize for reading her texts but acknowledge you do it because of past issues you have had. I assume she knows about them? Communication is important and if you feel you can't speak freely that should be addressed.

It is also possible she feels bad for not liking your family and has always wanted to say something but was scared that you would get really upset with her. If you do have a good relationship I would guess she feels guilty and also might be wanting more communication. You have to approach it with an attempt to understand her feelings and position as well.

threebag 12-24-2012 08:42 PM

JFC the PUSSIFICATION continues.

Brock 12-24-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9239396)
If she doesn't like your family and can't be honest with you about it then end it. Only problems lie ahead.

This. She's shit, goodbye.

Saul Good 12-24-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9239483)
This. She's shit, goodbye.

Why is she shit? Maybe his family sucks. She isn't obligated to like them. She is only obligated to treat them with respect. Venting to her sister in confidence isn't breaching her duty.

Richard_Cuckold 12-24-2012 10:11 PM

How hot is your wife?

BigMeatballDave 12-24-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9239497)
Why is she shit? Maybe his family sucks. She isn't obligated to like them. She is only obligated to treat them with respect. Venting to her sister in confidence isn't breaching her duty.

No, she's not obligated to like them, but she is obligated to be truthful and not hide things from her future spouse.

Brock 12-24-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

If I'm aware of somebody talking shit about my family whether in confidence or not, I'm done with them. YMMV.

KS Smitty 12-24-2012 10:18 PM

31 years ago I wasn't overly impressed with my fiance's family. Today they are every bit as important and special to me as my own and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

31 years ago if my fiance had been snooping through my private letters he wouldn't be my husband today. That's just wrong.

okcchief 12-24-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

If she can't be honest with him about it it's the tip of the iceberg. I've seen many of my friends make this mistake over the years.

BigMeatballDave 12-24-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9238523)

You, on the other hand, are creepy. I've met several people who do stuff like this, and they are all insecure, immature people who can't handle adult relationships. You aren't ready for marriage.

This is complete bullshit. You don't think it's wrong for her to hide shit? She obviously doesn't have the guts to be honest with him.

stevieray 12-24-2012 10:23 PM

two things...

1) you don't trust her, your actions verify this...there has to be a reason why...my guess is you know the answer to that...no trust means a foundation bulit on dishonesty...and now, from both sides...i

2) most people find what they are looking..for..you have to ask yourself, waht if it's true? does the possibillty of inlaw perceptions and relationships interfering exist? and if so, what are you willing to DO about it...

KS Smitty 12-24-2012 10:24 PM

Many of you are talking about her not being honest? How honest is it for him to be going through her texts????

AustinChief 12-24-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9239532)
If I'm aware of somebody talking shit about my family whether in confidence or not, I'm done with them. YMMV.

Pretty much this.

In this case, we are missing a ton of context and the exact wording... but if it was truly vicious and mean spirited... that's just not the kind of person I would be comfortable spending my life with. But again, without knowing more, you may be blowing things out of proportion and interpreting it to be far worse than it really is. If your assessment IS correct though, she doesn't sound like a very nice person and if it were me I'd start working on an exit strategy.

KS Smitty 12-24-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9239539)
This is complete bullshit. You don't think it's wrong for her to hide shit? She obviously doesn't have the guts to be honest with him.

She is hiding something that will hurt him, and she is still willing to be with his family which means that it may not be as bad as she tells her sister.

**** it, end it now and don't even try to find out what it may be like 30 years later.

Hootie 12-24-2012 10:28 PM

my last girlfriend and I never, not one time, felt the need to read each other's text messages.

When I was 18 my first girlfriend and I were having serious issues. I moved away to college and broke up with her, found out she started hanging out with one of my close friends from back home and it turned into a huge competition to see who would win. This is my favorite relationship because it taught me everything to NEVER do again. One time she was over and I took her phone and threatened to read her text messages and she FREAKED out. I knew then and there that A) the relationship was over and B) my God I'd never put myself in that situation again.

Since then I've picked four girlfriends all from the same mold. They simply never work out, so I need to re-brand myself I think, but the last thing either of us would ever do would be to read each other's text messages behind one another's back. I wouldn't even think about it, and we'd leave our phones around unattended at each other's places consistently.

I would never want to date someone like I dated in high school (after we broke up the first time). Competition relationships were awful and after it took me a good 6 months and a college dropout when I was 18 the first time around...I learned REAL quick.

BUT...that is one lesson I'm glad I learned.

KS Smitty 12-24-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9239548)
Pretty much this.

In this case, we are missing a ton of context and the exact wording... but if it was truly vicious and mean spirited... that's just not the kind of person I would be comfortable spending my life with. But again, without knowing more, you may be blowing things out of proportion and interpreting it to be far worse than it really is. If your assessment IS correct though, she doesn't sound like a very nice person and if it were me I'd start working on an exit strategy.

IMO, if she was mean-spirited it would have shown up by now in other ways.

Hootie 12-24-2012 10:32 PM

of course the last two girlfriends of mine and I have broken up because I date college seniors who always move away when the relationships get good and I'm too much of a dipshit to take a chance and move with...or as my friends put it, "Rick why do all of your girlfriends always move 3000 miles away after three months with you?" which is something I should probably look in to.

AustinChief 12-24-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 9239545)
Many of you are talking about her not being honest? How honest is it for him to be going through her texts????

Doing it on the sly is dishonest and he is at fault there... but I don't have a real problem with him reading her texts as long as it is an established two way street. People in serious relationships shouldn't keep (current) secrets (obviously a person's past before the relationship is a different story). The problem is... he should have been clear about this from the onset and she should have been forewarned that he didn't agree with having boundaries in that regard.

BTW I disagree with those here who say he should start with an apology about it.. that's not going to help one bit. If I was in his shoes I would confront her about the problem and treat the reading of each other's texts texts as if it is not an issue and act as if she is the crazy one if she tries to make it an issue. Of course, I wouldn't be in the market to salvage things with a chick who says vicious things behind, my back about my family.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't read other's texts but I certainly don't have a problem when they read mine. Even if they think they are being sneaky about it.

AustinChief 12-24-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 9239555)
IMO, if she was mean-spirited it would have shown up by now in other ways.

yeah, which is why I tend to think the texts may be blown out of proportion... right now I feel I don't have enough info to make any kind of useful suggestions really.

Lumpy 12-24-2012 10:37 PM

Relationships are about trust and communication. If the relationship is lacking those 2 key things, it is doomed. All it takes is for one partner to lose trust in the other and that's when the vicious cycle begins. That person resents the other for lying and that person resents the other for snooping.

Eventually someone will get sick of the shit and leave.

Hootie 12-24-2012 10:38 PM

I guess the reason I'm participating in this thread is...

I'm pretty disappointed my last girlfriend and I didn't work out. There were a lot of factors that worked against us and we still remain close friends. It's tough since we broke up so close to the holidays.

I just know I'd be kicking myself and beating myself up constantly if the reason our relationship ended was because I was a complete dumbass and read her text messages. Perhaps your fiance is like a typical women and likes to dramatize things just, you know, to be dramatic?

My sister is happily married with two beautiful young boys who I got to spend the day with...happy as could be. Great husband...his family, mom in particular...basically a bat shit insane lunatic. She gets very annoyed by her and her sister-in-law who is very self-centered. This is something everyone already knows but she plays the part. Does she talk to my mom about it sometimes? Vent about it a little? Sure. That's what you do with in-laws.

Meh. Whatever. I think the OP needs to look at himself in the mirror and correct his actions before he starts a fight with someone he might care about and potentially ruin something that might really be good for him. I think violating someone's privacy is far worse than talking shit about your S.O.'s parents/family.

KS Smitty 12-24-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9239557)
Doing it on the sly is dishonest and he is at fault there... but I don't have a real problem with him reading her texts as long as it is an established two way street. People in serious relationships shouldn't keep (current) secrets (obviously a person's past before the relationship is a different story). The problem is... he should have been clear about this from the onset and she should have been forewarned that he didn't agree with having boundaries in that regard.

BTW I disagree with those here who say he should start with an apology about it.. that's not going to help one bit. If I was in his shoes I would confront her about the problem and treat the reading of each other's texts texts as if it is not an issue and act as if she is the crazy one if she tries to make it an issue. Of course, I wouldn't be in the market to salvage things with a chick who says vicious things behind, my back about my family.

Has he been letting her read his texts? Or does he expect her to since he does hers without her knowledge? Maybe she was just venting about how different his family is from hers. I know I say things to my sis in confidence that are more of a between you and me thing that really isn't ncessarily the real truth of the matter just getting it off my chest.

2 families becoming one is not a cakewalk and it takes a lot of give and take on both sides. I really don't see her as being dishonest, maybe she wants this to work and it helps to have someone to talk to confidentially.

Chiefshrink 12-24-2012 10:44 PM

Wanna be cruel but gentle about it ? Oxymoron I know, but this will work. But it will take some skill in pulling it off but you can do it because I can tell you are hurt and pissed.

While sitting at the Xmas dinner table with everyone around, casually bring up the topic of technology and specifically phones and it's effects on society where nothing is private anymore but yet soooooooooo easy to be secretive. You then take your exact situation and carbon copy it in a story about a fake friend you have and then tell the exact same details of what this friend found on his or her significant other's phone depending on how you tell the story. You should get a lot of reaction from trust to privacy etc... which is good because it is all generic and gets the group conversation going.

But as you begin to state specifically what this friend found, you look around the table getting everyone's reaction and purposely end your look always looking at her after every detail and asking her every time you state a detail, "Honey can you believe he/she would say that about the person's family he/she is about to marry"? I am so glad you love and appreciate my family as I do yours".

Like I said, you have to be coy about this and very casual but like Frazod said early on in this thread your fiance' is a skilled liar thus she is smart enough to get the message and then you can have your talk on the way home in the car. I always instruct couples to go for drives when discussing sensitive serious topics because either party can't run away and both must maintain control because of the safety factor of driving a car therefore conversations about very serious touchy subjects usually go pretty well. I love road trips because a lot sh** gets aired out that doesn't usually get done at home because of all the distractions and excuses.

Bottom line: Whether she gets it or not during the table discussion, she won't let on that she does nor will she ever be honest with you and admit she feels the same way. Her ego is too prideful because she is a person who really thinks "her sh** don't stink" and your family's stinks to high heaven in her mind and she just tolerates them and you. You then on the way home say, "Hey you know my friend I mentioned at the dinner table? That was me.

Enjoy and make it good because this will end your relationship because her type of personality and character doesn't have the maturity to endure and work through it. Don't waste your time because you don't want a woman like this who will be condescending to your family AND to you as well for the rest of your life. My guess is you have a tendency to date women who always have the upper hand, meaning you like being led by the nose a lot emotionally. I bet you have taken a lot of emotional abuse from women in your past relationships who could take or leave you at anytime? And now you are going to actually marry one ???

Sack up and be a BIG DOG for a change and start respecting yourself and have fun doing this. AND DON'T APOLOGIZE FOR LOOKING AT HER PHONE WHATSOEVER !!! Every time she tries to divert by saying why did you look at my phone? You say, "Why didn't you tell me you felt this way about my family?

And don't back off !!

Have fun !!!:D

Brock 12-24-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9239565)
I think violating someone's privacy is far worse than talking shit about your S.O.'s parents/family.

It is. He should not have done that. But having done it, he found out something worth knowing, and IMO something worth moving on over. I don't care about much, but that's a deal breaker for me.

AustinChief 12-24-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9239556)
of course the last two girlfriends of mine and I have broken up because I date college seniors who always move away when the relationships get good and I'm too much of a dipshit to take a chance and move with...or as my friends put it, "Rick why do all of your girlfriends always move 3000 miles away after three months with you?" which is something I should probably look in to.

Ha, I had one move to Australia! Pretty sure that is almost as far away as you could possibly go from Texas.

Hootie 12-24-2012 10:45 PM

I've gone out of my way in the past NOT to read my girlfriends text messages. In fact, I rarely ever ask about a girl's past. I like the line in Jerry Maguire where Zellwenger says "lets not tell each other our sad stories."

Brock 12-24-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9239578)

But as you begin to state specifically what this friend found, you look around the table getting everyone's reaction and purposely end your look always looking at her after every detail and asking her every time you state a detail, "Honey can you believe he/she would say that about the person's family he/she is about to marry"? I am so glad you love and appreciate my family as I do yours".

Mr. Subtlety.

Hootie 12-24-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9239580)
Ha, I had one move to Australia! Pretty sure that is almost as far away as you could possibly go from Texas.

the last four girls I've dated have all been 22...and different times in my life. Once I was 23, then 24, then 25, then 27...

I think I'm done with it. The count down until graduation/move away/what now? is just not fun anymore.

The last relationship it was the elephant in the room from the day we started dating..."oh in 5 months you move 4 hours away to student teach for a whole semester!"

It just can't work anymore. I'm the creepy 27 year old who still goes to the 19-22 year old bars because I'm simply not attracted to older women. I don't know what it is. So I'm just done. No more drinking for me, which means no more girls for me either.

It's depressing.

Chiefshrink 12-24-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9239583)
Mr. Subtlety.

;)

It works !!

AustinChief 12-24-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 9239573)
Has he been letting her read his texts? Or does he expect her to since he does hers without her knowledge? Maybe she was just venting about how different his family is from hers. I know I say things to my sis in confidence that are more of a between you and me thing that really isn't ncessarily the real truth of the matter just getting it off my chest.

2 families becoming one is not a cakewalk and it takes a lot of give and take on both sides. I really don't see her as being dishonest, maybe she wants this to work and it helps to have someone to talk to confidentially.

Exactly right. She may not really feel that way at all and actually has issues with her family and they "bond" by mutually talking shit about others. Maybe her family is feeling insecure about time spent away and she was talking shit to make them feel better. We really don't know enough... and it sounds like he may not either... well, that, or she could just be a complete two faced bitch. :D