ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mike and Mike Talking about Geno going #1 overall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271175)

DaneMcCloud 03-18-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9510033)
Chocolate Penii.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gay.

NTTATTWT

J Diddy 03-18-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9510024)
The team I respect. Your ****-O transplant? Not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey dumbass. When the team you respect trades for a player, he becomes a member of the team you respect. Otherwise it's a team you don't respect.

tooge 03-18-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501445)
Honestly, they should just go full Patriot to try to pull off what the 49ers are doing this year.

Trade down to 8. If you don't like the landscape, trade down to 16. If you still don't like it, trade out for all I care.

If you're not taking Geno Smith and you don't believe in someone like Richardson, let the draft come to you.

Unlike *****, who seemed to decide what positions he was going to take before the draft started, Reid/Dorsey have given the team the flexibility to look at the draft and just take it as it comes.

They could come out of the draft with Margus Hunt, Tyler Bray, the 3rd day picks and a shitload of 2014 pick and have as much potential talent on the roster as they would have had they gone with Geno or Floyd.

There are serious homerun swings they can take with this draft.

And part of that is because of the much derided Alex Smith trade. I give a ton of credit to Reid and Dorsey; they did a spectacular job of creating flexibility for the draft.

Best post of the off season. Right on point!

themanwithnoname 03-18-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9510286)
Do some of you guys really think the media's opinion of a player has anything to do with a front office's opinion?

If only the media would have thought Geno was worthy of a number 1 pick before the trade the Chiefs wouldn't have traded for Smith.

GTFO

JFC

Some of you need to let it go and stop obsessing. You have the reasoning skills of meth addicts. Go get some fresh air and forget about football until draft day :)

The problem with your reasoning is that you're basing it on guys like Kiper, when most of the media is basing it off of their connections/rumors of what teams think. Geno had a good combine and a good pro day so its not surprising teams are coming around on him.

Its why the Chiefs giving up what they did to go after someone there was little market for is just baffling. I could possibly have seen such a desperation move on or just before draft day or something, but not when they did.

ChiefRocka 03-18-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themanwithnoname (Post 9510319)
The problem with your reasoning is that you're basing it on guys like Kiper, when most of the media is basing it off of their connections/rumors of what teams think. Geno had a good combine and a good pro day so its not surprising teams are coming around on him.

Its why the Chiefs giving up what they did to go after someone there was little market for is just baffling. I could possibly have seen such a desperation move on or just before draft day or something, but not when they did.

You're misinformed.

Tribal Warfare 03-18-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9510276)
Our punter is better, and is getting paid a fraction less than your NFL highest paid punter. So eat that bag of dicks. GENO INCOMING TO DUVALLLLLL

shut your dirty whore mouth no one is better than the MVP the Chuck Norris of all punters or any other assholes who kick balls too.

Abba-Dabba 03-18-2013 06:52 AM

I am dumbfounded why Reid and Dorsey would back themselves into a corner and tie themselves to Alex Smith, with Chase Daniel as b/u as they have. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me for them knowing exactly the issue with the last GM and QB with this franchise. But looking back at past years of Reid in Philly and Qb's, I have to wonder if this will be trend. I have a feeling with Reid we will be looking at a few years of barn burning Qb's of the likes of A.J. Feeley, Koy Detmer, Kevin Kolb, Mike McMahon, and Andy Hall. Outside of McNabb, and if really want to include Vick in there, Reid has largely disrespected the QB position in his offense. Who hasn't heard him say in the past you can plug any QB into his system. That kind of arrogance thinking his system is great enough to make anyone shine just might be the reason he hasn't won a SB.

My question is what exactly does Reid think he will hear if Alex Smith goes out there and simply flops? People in KC may not throw batteries, but they can get your attention just as effectively. Ask *****.

The only way they can simply avoid the likelihood of fan revolt again if Smith flops, gets injured or simply doesn't work out is to draft a QB at 1.1. It is their chance to have the pick of the litter. Why waste it on non playmaking fat body?

philfree 03-18-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9510290)
Gay.

NTTATTWT

LOL at the honkies who've been running around saying "Chocolate Penii". If we draft Geno Smith that'd be great but all the gay racism makes me not want him as much.

Dave Lane 03-18-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 9510394)
I am dumbfounded why Reid and Dorsey would back themselves into a corner and tie themselves to Alex Smith, with Chase Daniel as b/u as they have. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me for them knowing exactly the issue with the last GM and QB with this franchise. But looking back at past years of Reid in Philly and Qb's, I have to wonder if this will be trend. I have a feeling with Reid we will be looking at a few years of barn burning Qb's of the likes of A.J. Feeley, Koy Detmer, Kevin Kolb, Mike McMahon, and Andy Hall. Outside of McNabb, and if really want to include Vick in there, Reid has largely disrespected the QB position in his offense. Who hasn't heard him say in the past you can plug any QB into his system. That kind of arrogance thinking his system is great enough to make anyone shine just might be the reason he hasn't won a SB.

My question is what exactly does Reid think he will hear if Alex Smith goes out there and simply flops? People in KC may not throw batteries, but they can get your attention just as effectively. Ask *****.

The only way they can simply avoid the likelihood of fan revolt again if Smith flops, gets injured or simply doesn't work out is to draft a QB at 1.1. It is their chance to have the pick of the litter. Why waste it on non playmaking fat body?

I think its Reid's arrogance. I think he's convinced he can turn a sows ear into a silk purse. If so we are truly doomed. The only success he achieved was with McNabb and the #2 pick. I wish he would learn from that lesson.

Messier 03-18-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 9510394)

I don't think they've tied themselves to any player. The Raiders are about to give up on Palmer after a season and a half, and they gave up a lot more.

SP was a special GM, in a bad way. He stuck with Cassel to the point of costing him his job. I don't see Reid and Dorsey doing that at all. They already seem to have common sense, judging by their FA moves. If Smith has a first year like Cassels first year, 17 tds 17 ints, they'll start looking at other options after one year.

Dante84 03-18-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510424)
LOL at the honkies who've been running around saying "Chocolate Penii". If we draft Geno Smith that'd be great but all the gay racism makes me not want him as much.

Gaycism.

patteeu 03-18-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themanwithnoname (Post 9510319)

That's not really a problem with his reasoning, because even if 31 other GMs are feeding this positive talk on Geno to the Mayocks of the world, it's kind of silly to think that peer pressure is going to control Reid/Dorsey's opinion of the guy. And of course, the reality is that there aren't 31 other GMs who think Geno Smith is a top tier QB. There may be a few, but probably not even close to a majority. We both know that, right?

patteeu 03-18-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9510449)
I think its Reid's arrogance. I think he's convinced he can turn a sows ear into a silk purse. If so we are truly doomed. The only success he achieved was with McNabb and the #2 pick. I wish he would learn from that lesson.

You seem to have learned the wrong lesson. It sounds like you think the position in the draft has more to do with success than the quality of the football player and the ability of the talent evaluator to recognize that quality.

patteeu 03-18-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9510450)
I don't think they've tied themselves to any player. The Raiders are about to give up on Palmer after a season and a half, and they gave up a lot more.

SP was a special GM, in a bad way. He stuck with Cassel to the point of costing him his job. I don't see Reid and Dorsey doing that at all. They already seem to have common sense, judging by their FA moves. If Smith has a first year like Cassels first year, 17 tds 17 ints, they'll start looking at other options after one year.

I agree. If Pioli had given up on Cassel after year 3 and tried to find a fresh QBotF, he probably would have been extended and would still be here today. It's possible that the horrific coaching job of Romeo Crennel could have still gotten them both fired, but I don't think so. I think the fans would have given them at least one more year to make progress with the new QB.

The Franchise 03-18-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510622)
I agree. If ***** had given up on Cassel after year 3 and tried to find a fresh QBotF, he probably would have been extended and would still be here today. It's possible that the horrific coaching job of Romeo Crennel could have still gotten them both fired, but I don't think so. I think the fans would have given them at least one more year to make progress with the new QB.

Pioli might have been extended......RAC was gone.

patteeu 03-18-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9510627)
***** might have been extended......RAC was gone.

He definitely should have been. The never-ending plague of turnovers alone was enough to justify a mid-season firing, IMO.

The Franchise 03-18-2013 09:47 AM

If only Pioli had taken Kaepernick instead of Baldwin (and this coming from a Baldwin fan).......Reid would have a QB to work with.

Rausch 03-18-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510636)
He definitely should have been. The never-ending plague of turnovers alone was enough to justify a mid-season firing, IMO.

Most of last season was spent under a haze of alcohol and rage during the games but after about the Saints game we weren't even competitive most games. We're talking about serious poundings.

It's one thing to lose but when you're not even competitive change is inevitable...

Molitoth 03-18-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 9508957)
FWIW Geno's entire Pro Day throwing session video is up over at Arrowhead Addict.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eZr2ogJxebM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Molitoth 03-18-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

If Smith has a first year like Cassels first year, 17 tds 17 ints, they'll start looking at other options after one year.
If Alex Smith goes 17-17, I doubt they will be in a position to draft higher then Draft pick #4 or #5. Which means another year of not being in the position to take the best QB prospect on the board. This is the ONE YEAR they have ever gotten a chance to pick the best QB in the draft, and they will pass for a Offensive Tackle.

Dorsey and Reid will look Monumentally stupid if Alex Smith doesn't pan out. I think this fan base would be a lot more forgiving if they took a chance on a QB through the draft. But of course you will get the true fans next year saying "8-8 is better than 2-14!!!!! Alex Smith is awesome!, he just needs more playmakers and a better Line!".

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9510691)
If Alex Smith goes 17-17, I doubt they will be in a position to draft higher then Draft pick #4 or #5. Which means another year of not being in the position to take the best QB prospect on the board. This is the ONE YEAR they have ever gotten a chance to pick the best QB in the draft, and they will pass for a Offensive Tackle.

Dorsey and Reid will look Monumentally stupid if Alex Smith doesn't pan out. I think this fan base would be a lot more forgiving if they took a chance on a QB through the draft. But of course you will get the true fans next year saying "8-8 is better than 2-14!!!!! Alex Smith is awesome!, he just needs more playmakers and a better Line!".

Will the Geno at 1.1 people look monumentally stupid if Geno doesn't become a franchise QB or do they get credit for "trying"?

Molitoth 03-18-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510696)
Will the Geno at 1.1 people look monumentally stupid if Geno doesn't become a franchise QB or do they get credit for "trying"?

We get credit for trying.

If Geno Smith ends up as a bust in some shitty place like Buffalo, that doesn't necessarily mean he would've been guaranteed a bust in a place like KC or Arizona.

KC has good playmakers and a coach with a decent offensive philosophy, I think Geno Smith would excel here... but not necessarily on ANY team.

The thing is, nobody ever knows for certain, not even with Andrew Luck.... but once in awhile you have to take a chance.

This team is going to rid of Branden Albert (a proven good LT) and TAKE A CHANCE on an unproven LT out of the draft.
Why do this on a position like LT, and not on the most important position in football?
Bono/Grbac/Huard/Green/Cassel/Alex Smith has been nothing but shitty to mediocre when being brought into this town.
Only Trent Green made the most of it.

Chiefnj2 03-18-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510696)

On CP they get credit for trying. To 90% of the fan base they look stupid for not getting the vet who could at least get them 7-9 wins.

Dayze 03-18-2013 10:33 AM

as long as a QB gives us 8 wins at home, and allows me to have a blast at the tailgate....

Molitoth 03-18-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9510707)
On CP they get credit for trying. To 90% of the fan base they look stupid for not getting the vet who could at least get them 7-9 wins.

Yup, like it's been said many times... most of these fans just want to tailgate and know there is a chance to compete in each game.
They aren't as invested as people who desperately want to see this team win a Super Bowl and become a dynasty... the people who like this team enough to spend numerous amount of hours posting on a messageboard.

Lex Luthor 03-18-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510424)

I couldn't agree more. All of those references to chocolate penii are just creepy.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9510705)

If Geno Smith ends up as a bust in some shitty place like Buffalo, that doesn't necessarily mean he would've been guaranteed a bust in a place like KC or Arizona.

KC has good playmakers and a coach with a decent offensive philosophy, I think Geno Smith would excel here... but not necessarily on ANY team.

The thing is, nobody ever knows for certain, not even with Andrew Luck.... but once in awhile you have to take a chance.

This team is going to rid of Branden Albert (a proven good LT) and TAKE A CHANCE on an unproven LT out of the draft.
Why do this on a position like LT, and not on the most important position in football?
Bono/Grbac/Huard/Green/Cassel/Alex Smith has been nothing but shitty to mediocre when being brought into this town.

The Chiefs are "trying" by taking a chance on the guy they think is the best that they have available to them. And with the 1.1 pick in their pocket, that includes every rookie in the draft. I see no reason for an Alex Smith failure to make Dorsey/Reid look "monumentally stupid" unless Geno or one of the other top rookies blows up immediately.

Fish 03-18-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

That's what gets me. It seems to be peachy for positions like offensive tackle in the eyes of the less intelligent fans. But the thought of doing the exact same thing with the QB position is SCARY! Despite the fact that the QB position is infinitely more important, and affects the entire team more than any other position.

It doesn't make any sense.

philfree 03-18-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

It seems that way but I bet that if the Chiefs drafted a franchise QB prospect this fan base would end up backing it in a big way. I think they really just want to back their team. Right now that means backing Alex Smith. And fans who say they'd rather have A. Smith over G. Smith would flip flop in a heartbeat.

Lex Luthor 03-18-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

The difference is that Reid and Dorsey are actually accountable for their decisions. The've got a helluva lot more skin in the game than any poster on Chiefsplanet.

The Franchise 03-18-2013 10:42 AM

I've stated it before....but I'm not pissed about Alex Smith. I'm pissed about what we gave up for him. If it was a 4th round pick and a conditional pick next year....it would've been fine. He's an average QB who has games where he looks above average but he's injury prone and he takes a lot of sacks.

If the Alex Smith trade causes us to pass on Geno and take a LT at 1.1 because he needs an all world offensive line to protect him and we didn't want a "QB controversy"....then Reid and Dorsey can go **** themselves.

Molitoth 03-18-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9510735)
The difference is that Reid and Dorsey are actually accountable for their decisions. The've got a helluva lot more skin in the game than any poster on Chiefsplanet.

Yep. If Alex Smith comes here and sucks ass, they better be accountible much sooner than year ****ing 4 like Polio.

It's NOT hard to assess a situation after 1-2 full years of play.
Either your team is going to rally around your QB, or they aren't. I knew Cassel was not good enough after watching him in year one. 2010 was gameplanning around his weaknesses, and even doing that couldn't get this team a playoff win.

philfree 03-18-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9510735)

Trying is the same as potential. It'll get a coach fired.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510732)
That's what gets me. It seems to be peachy for positions like offensive tackle in the eyes of the less intelligent fans. But the thought of doing the exact same thing with the QB position is SCARY! Despite the fact that the QB position is infinitely more important, and affects the entire team more than any other position.

It doesn't make any sense.

Except it's not the exact same thing. You don't do it at either position unless you think you're getting the better player. If you believe that Luke Joeckel is inferior to Branden Albert in the way that it appears the Chiefs think Geno Smith is inferior to Alex Smith, you do everything you can to come to terms with Branden Albert. If you think Luke Joeckel is as much better than Branden Albert as many CPers think Geno is than Alex Smith, you give Albert a low ball offer to stick around as a RT or swing backup and wish him well as he walks out the door.

The Franchise 03-18-2013 10:44 AM

I don't care if it's unrealistic or not.....but if we go 8-8 next year....it's a failure.

9-7 is the low mark for next year.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510734)
It seems that way but I bet that if the Chiefs drafted a franchise QB prospect this fan base would end up backing it in a big way. I think they really just want to back their team. Right now that means backing Alex Smith. And fans who say they'd rather have A. Smith over G. Smith would flip flop in a heartbeat.

I think most fans make the reasonable assumption that the coach and GM have a better idea of which option is better than they do and they enthusiastically support whichever choice is made until it proves to be the wrong one.

Molitoth 03-18-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510743)
Except it's not the exact same thing. You don't do it at either position unless you think you're getting the better player. If you believe that Luke Joeckel is inferior to Branden Albert in the way that it appears the Chiefs think Geno Smith is inferior to Alex Smith, you do everything you can to come to terms with Branden Albert. If you think Luke Joeckel is as much better than Branden Albert as many CPers think Geno is than Alex Smith, you give Albert a low ball offer to stick around as a RT or swing backup and wish him well as he walks out the door.

I'm cool with your lack of moving towards insults and attempts at having civilized discussion, but it's still hard for me when everything you post seems like you have just been fine and dandy with everything the chiefs have done.

Has there ever been anything the chiefs done that doesn't really agree with you? It just seems like you back and support everything they do because they are getting paid to do it. I'm not going to sift through 65 thousand of your posts, so I was just wondering if you wanted to say anything you haven't agreed with so I can see where you may be coming from in a different light.

philfree 03-18-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510751)
I think most fans make the reasonable assumption that the coach and GM have a better idea of which option is better than they do and they enthusiastically support whichever choice is made until it proves to be the wrong one.

Yeah they have lives.

RealSNR 03-18-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

90% of other fans have seen success in the playoffs since the first term of the ****ing Clinton administration.

Fish 03-18-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510743)

Which position is the overall offensive production more dependent on? LT or QB?

A great QB can overcome the deficiencies of a less-than-great LT. But a great LT can do little to overcome the deficiencies of a less-than-great QB.

If you don't have a great QB, the best LT in the world isn't going to make much difference in the overall production of the offense. Teams do whatever possible to find that great QB. The QB is the engine. The LT is simply one of the tires. It's the most important tire, but still only a tire. Why buy the best tires in the world to put on a car with a 2 cylinder engine?

In today's NFL, it's proven to be much easier to replace LTs than QBs.

patteeu 03-18-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9510756)
I'm cool with your lack of moving towards insults and attempts at having civilized discussion, but it's still hard for me when everything you post seems like you have just been fine and dandy with everything the chiefs have done.

Has there ever been anything the chiefs done that doesn't really agree with you? It just seems like you back and support everything they do because they are getting paid to do it. I'm not going to sift through 65 thousand of your posts, so I was just wondering if you wanted to say anything you haven't agreed with so I can see where you may be coming from in a different light.

Yeah, I thought they should have canned Cassel after year 3 or at the very least bring in the kind of competition that you expect to win the job.

I thought Pioli should have kept Herm on for one more year after his youth movement to see what he could do with it, partly because it was so late in the coach hiring season and partly because I just thought Herm deserved a chance to see his plan though a bit. If, after that year, Pioli wasn't satisfied, I would have been onboard with a change and Pioli would have had plenty of time to find the right guy (which, we've since learned, he may have been incapable of doing in any event).

I was never a fan of Elvis Grbac (I wanted them to sign Jeff George at the time). I didn't like it when they benched Rich Gannon or when they let him go in favor of Grbac, although I understood it on a financial level.

I didn't care for the Dontari Poe draft pick because it seemed like it was pure need plus workout rather than high quality player based on college production. I hope I'm wrong about that one.

I didn't like the Trent Green trade and after the first year I was ready to dump him.

But mostly when I disagree with them, I don't jump to the conclusion that they're stupid. I wait to see how it pans out. I think I've been right about some things (e.g. Gannon and moving on from Cassel after year 3) and I may well have been wrong about others (e.g. Jeff George and Trent Green).

Brock 03-18-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510764)
Yeah they have lives.

ie casual fans who don't really pay attention.

philfree 03-18-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510785)

A great QB can overcome the deficiencies of a less-than-great LT. But a great LT can do little to overcome the deficiencies of a less-than-great QB.

If you don't have a great QB, the best LT in the world isn't going to make much difference in the overall production of the offense. Teams do whatever possible to find that great QB. The QB is the engine. The LT is simply one of the tires. It's the most important tire, but still only a tire. Why buy the best tires in the world to put on a car with a 2 cylinder engine?

Since we have Alex Smith we better make sure we have a good/great LT. A great LT can also make an AVG QB look great too. We saw what happened to Trent Geen once we lost Wilie Roaf.

patteeu 03-18-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510785)

QB, so what? Which would you rather use your first pick in the draft on, a great LT or a journeyman QB, if that's your choice?

philfree 03-18-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9510791)

I don't know that they're all casual fans. I mean if you have season tickets are you a casual fan? Alot of people are just busy and don't have the time or realize what a waste it is 'for them' to spend their precious time playing internet GM.

Fish 03-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510800)
Since we have Alex Smith we better make sure we have a good/great LT. A great LT can also make an AVG QB look great too. We saw what happened to Trent Geen once we lost Wilie Roaf.

Branden Albert has sufficiently proven himself already. Joeckel has not.

And no, a great LT doesn't make an average QB look great.

Willie Roaf was one of the best in history, and Green was average/above average. And we still couldn't sniff a playoff victory.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-18-2013 11:12 AM

Change is scary. It is better to keep doing what keeps you average. Take out on pork chop night just sets everything else off.

Fish 03-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510802)
QB, so what? Which would you rather use your first pick in the draft on, a great LT or a journeyman QB, if that's your choice?

So what?

LOL....

Molitoth 03-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510787)
Yeah, I thought they should have canned Cassel after year 3 or at the very least bring in the kind of competition that you expect to win the job.

I thought ***** should have kept Herm on for one more year after his youth movement to see what he could do with it, partly because it was so late in the coach hiring season and partly because I just thought Herm deserved a chance to see his plan though a bit. If, after that year, ***** wasn't satisfied, I would have been onboard with a change and ***** would have had plenty of time to find the right guy (which, we've since learned, he may have been incapable of doing in any event).

I was never a fan of Elvis Grbac (I wanted them to sign Jeff George at the time). I didn't like it when they benched Rich Gannon or when they let him go in favor of Grbac, although I understood it on a financial level.

I didn't care for the Dontari Poe draft pick because it seemed like it was pure need plus workout rather than high quality player based on college production. I hope I'm wrong about that one.

I didn't like the Trent Green trade and after the first year I was ready to dump him.

But mostly when I disagree with them, I don't jump to the conclusion that they're stupid. I wait to see how it pans out. I think I've been right about some things (e.g. Gannon and moving on from Cassel after year 3) and I may well have been wrong about others (e.g. Jeff George and Trent Green).

Good to know. I've pretty much been in the same boat as you when it comes to "wait and see" before I get pissed... but this year has just been different. I suppose I have been "waiting and seeing" for far too long. Every year I watch the QB position become more and more important. I watch teams like the Bengals go from complete shit to playoff bound just because they drafted Andy Dalton. I watched Cam Newton come in and scorch NFL defenses in his Rookie Year on a shitty team. Kaepernick is taking his team to a super bowl.

I really wanted this regime to be different, and so far they aren't when it comes to QB. They are still fine with taking QB's that weren't good enough on other teams and that really irks me. Maybe things with Alex Smith will be different, but for now I'm going to make Reid/Dorsey earn my respect before I straight up give it to them. It's a trust issue I guess. If I kept loaning money to my friends and none of them ever paid me back... I'd be a fool to keep loaning friends money.

I think Geno Smith not only has the talent, but the WORK ETHIC and DRIVE to want to be a great QB in this league. He is NOT Jamarcus Russel who was a lazy bastard wanting a big payday. If you study Geno Smith, he loves football and he wants to be great, along with being humble about it. I just hope he gets drafted by a franchise that will support him and give him what he needs to succeed instead of pigeonholding him into doing things that may not work to his strengths. I hope the Eagles get him tbh... Chip Kelley with Geno would be fun to watch. I dread Geno going to Buffalo or Oakland.

The Franchise 03-18-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510800)

Alex Smith takes sacks DESPITE having an awesome offensive line.

Rausch 03-18-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9510791)

Exactly.

Spending 2 hours a day on gardening, home improvement, or watching crap TV doesn't mean you have no life. That's just how you spend your free time.

Molitoth 03-18-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510811)

Willie Roaf was one of the best in history, and Green was average/above average. And we still couldn't sniff a playoff victory.

While I understand your point.... that playoff loss was on the Chiefs lack of defense... not Trent Green. Our Offense was nearly unstoppable in a couple of those seasons.

philfree 03-18-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510811)

Yeah well we had no D and Trent didn't finish the home opener without big Willie.

Brock 03-18-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510807)
I don't know that they're all casual fans. I mean if you have season tickets are you a casual fan? Alot of people are just busy and don't have the time or realize what a waste it is 'for them' to spend their precious time playing internet GM.

If you're excited about the prospect of Alex Smith coming here, you are a casual fan. I like alex smith, I don't think he is terrible, but you have to be some kind of special dumbass to think that the QB situation is settled based on that. And there are tons of people thinking/saying that.

philfree 03-18-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9510817)
Alex Smith takes sacks DESPITE having an awesome offensive line.

He'd take more with a crappy o line then.

Brock 03-18-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510824)
Yeah well we had no D and Trent didn't finish the home opener without big Willie.

Had more to do with the hermification of the offense.

The Franchise 03-18-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510833)
He'd take more with a crappy o line then.

Sweet....so we should take a RT this year. Then next year we can take an OG in the 1st. 2015....we take a center. We'll be ready for 10-6 in 3 years.

kcxiv 03-18-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510802)

Well we may have both. Which means its gonna be bad.

philfree 03-18-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9510831)
If you're excited about the prospect of Alex Smith coming here, you are a casual fan. I like alex smith, I don't think he is terrible, but you have to be some kind of special dumbass to think that the QB situation is settled based on that. And there are tons of people thinking/saying that.

Yeah and if we went with a rookie at 1.1 they'd be behind that too. And ABC Anyone But Cassel!

Rausch 03-18-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9510838)
Sweet....so we should take a RT this year. Then next year we can take an OG in the 1st. 2015....we take a center. We'll be ready for 10-6 in 3 years.

No, in 3 years we'll trade our 2nd to SF for our new QB.

He'll need time to develop.

Even though he's 28...

Brock 03-18-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510856)
Yeah and if we went with a rookie at 1.1 they'd be behind that too. And ABC Anyone But Cassel!

No, they wouldn't. You are not paying attention to what's being said all over the airwaves and the net. They were begging for alex smith months ago.

philfree 03-18-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9510838)

Yup that's what everyone is saying we should do.

philfree 03-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9510868)
No, they wouldn't. You are not paying attention to what's being said all over the airwaves and the net. They were begging for alex smith months ago.

I don't care what they were saying before if the Chiefs draft a QB 1.1 Chiefs fans will get behind it with a huge boner. Well untill he plays poorly then half will want to run him out of town while the other half will want to give him more time.

saphojunkie 03-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Yes, but people are stupid. The populous is stupid. They don't want to hear about your problems. They don't want to hear about complexities or counter-intuitive solutions to chronic problems. They just want cheap burgers tax breaks. Of course, the most unpopular guy in the room is the one saying "Uh, we really shouldn't be letting this burger place serve you this meat. It's horrible for you."

BOOOOOOOO!

"And, since we're on a roll, we can't cut your taxes, because your kid's school is already falling apart and we need to fix it."

HISSSSSSSS!

"Oh, and not to send you over the edge, but we really need to draft a QB at first overall and sit him for a year."

GET THE PITCHFORKS!

So, now we have a bunch of obese twelve year olds who can't read wearing Luke Joeckel jerseys.

Also known as Raytown.

Rausch 03-18-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

There's nothing KC loves more than the b/u QB...

Molitoth 03-18-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9510882)
I don't care what they were saying before if the Chiefs draft a QB 1.1 Chiefs fans will get behind it with a huge boner. Well untill he plays poorly then half will want to run him out of town while the other half will want to give him more time.

If true fans will give Cassel 4 years, I'd hope they can give 3 years to a 1.1 QB.
If a QB doesn't show playoff wins by year 3, he should be benched and the team should move on.

Chiefnj2 03-18-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9510899)
If true fans will give Cassel 4 years, I'd hope they can give 3 years to a 1.1 QB.
If a QB doesn't show playoff wins by year 3, he should be benched and the team should move on.

You'd bench Bradford and Stafford?

patteeu 03-18-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510814)
So what?

LOL....

No answer?

Halfcan 03-18-2013 12:22 PM

New Mocks have Geno going to the Jags. Wow he has really jumped up the draft- considering some (experts) had him as a 2nd rounder-lol

Molitoth 03-18-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9510946)
You'd bench Bradford and Stafford?

Well, I suppose it's just not Black/White.
Stafford is a grey line. He had the injury. Using the Eye Test, I wouldn't give up on Stafford.

Bradford I would start removing myself from him, yes. To me, he is nothing special.

patteeu 03-18-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9510831)

The QB situation won't be settled until someone proves it on the field. But casual fan or not, I think it's reasonable to be excited about the possibility that Alex Smith has a chance to settle it. You might not like his chances, but I don't think you should like the chances of any of this year's crop of college prospects all that much either. Nonetheless, someone will probably overcome those odds.

Fish 03-18-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510976)
No answer?

Your question doesn't make any sense, and can't be answered without considering a myriad of other factors. Your choices are great LT or journeyman QB. Why are those the choices? First, we wouldn't be getting a "Great" LT with the first pick in the draft. Anyone we chose would be an unknown, having never taken a single snap in the NFL. And journeymen QBs aren't labeled as such until it's evident that they're not franchise caliber at the NFL level. So I don't understand your choices. The draft is all about potential, and the qualities you are listing all require a great deal of proven experience to be labeled as such.

And that's still disregarding the fact that your attitude is "QB is the most important offensive position, so what?" In which I would answer, "If it's the most important position, it would make sense that it would be a higher priority than other lesser positions. Hence more patience and forgiveness in trying to fill that position properly."

B14ckmon 03-18-2013 02:02 PM

Even John Oesher of Jaguars.com said Jaguars are genuinely interested and that he is warming up to the idea of taking Geno :)

I'm starting to get warmed up down below.

philfree 03-18-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9511189)
Even John Oesher of Jaguars.com said Jaguars are genuinely interested and that he is warming up to the idea of taking Geno :)

That's just your herpes acting up.

Sorter 03-18-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9510988)
The QB situation won't be settled until someone proves it on the field. But casual fan or not, I think it's reasonable to be excited about the possibility that Alex Smith has a chance to settle it. You might not like his chances, but I don't think you should like the chances of any of this year's crop of college prospects all that much either. Nonetheless, someone will probably overcome those odds.

Like the chances of what?

Going to a SB with them or getting Alex Smith level production out of them?

philfree 03-18-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9511189)

BleedingGreenNation ‏@BleedingGreen

Geno Smith is the 1st workout Eagles owner Jeff Lurie attended since Donovan McNabb http://sbn.to/116jNgy

How much you guys going to trade to move up one spot?

patteeu 03-18-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9511124)
Your question doesn't make any sense, and can't be answered without considering a myriad of other factors. Your choices are great LT or journeyman QB. Why are those the choices? First, we wouldn't be getting a "Great" LT with the first pick in the draft. Anyone we chose would be an unknown, having never taken a single snap in the NFL. And journeymen QBs aren't labeled as such until it's evident that they're not franchise caliber at the NFL level. So I don't understand your choices. The draft is all about potential, and the qualities you are listing all require a great deal of proven experience to be labeled as such.

And that's still disregarding the fact that your attitude is "QB is the most important offensive position, so what?" In which I would answer, "If it's the most important position, it would make sense that it would be a higher priority than other lesser positions. Hence more patience and forgiveness in trying to fill that position properly."

QB is the most important position. All else being equal, I agree that a team in need of a QB should take the QB. The problem is that your analysis seems to stop right there. All else is never equal. Clark Hunt would be foolish to hire a GM/coach who gave every draft prospect the same grade and then drafted based on importance of position.

Instead, you have to assess what you think a draft prospect will become. What's his ceiling? What's his floor? How likely is he to end up at either extreme? How will he fit in my system. Etc. Then you can factor in importance of the position, need, and so forth to align your draft board.

So your question (Which position is the overall offensive production more dependent on? LT or QB?) doesn't make any more sense than mine (hence the "so what?"). It's an interesting question to the extent that it explores one of many considerations that goes into making a draft pick, like mine does, but it doesn't really go far enough to give us any insight into what the Chiefs should actually do.

You may well think that Geno has a good chance of being a franchise QB, but if Reid thinks he's nothing more than journeyman material, it would explain a possible non-QB pick even though you, me, and probably Reid, agree that QB is the most important position.

patteeu 03-18-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9511203)
Like the chances of what?

Going to a SB with them or getting Alex Smith level production out of them?

The chances of settling the Chiefs' QB situation for a significant period of time.

B14ckmon 03-18-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9511216)

Geno Smith is the 1st workout Eagles owner Jeff Lurie attended since Donovan McNabb http://sbn.to/116jNgy

Rumor from people in the know on BleedingGreen is that Geno blew the interview because he threw Dana H under the bus. And Chip did not appreciate that being a former college coach.

Coogs 03-18-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9511216)

Jags, Eagles, Bills, and maybe even the Cards interested in Geno Smith. If we are hell bent on trading down, the Jags may have done us a hell of a favor at the very least.