ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Help building my first gaming rig (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278880)

hometeam 02-02-2014 10:56 AM

I am not saying your PSU is not responsible for your freeze ups, but its not because it is under powered for your GPU.

They are 100% perfectly compatible and fine in that regard. Now.. you could have a faulty PSU that works but has something wrong.

My bet is its heat related. do you monitor your temps? Download EVGA precision X and use it to monitor your GPU temps, and CPU-Z for the CPU, let me know what your idle and load settings are.

What mobo/CPU btw?

notorious 02-02-2014 10:57 AM

Okay, I am feeling better.

I was hoping that a nice PS from EVGA would get the job done. It's a beast.

notorious 02-02-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10407412)
Download EVGA precision X and use it to monitor your GPU temps, and CPU-Z for the CPU, let me know what your idle and load settings are.

What mobo/CPU btw?

Working on the download.

Mobo is Dell OEM for Inspirion 660 and processor is I5 3340.

When I hold my hand up to computer it feels cool. (Very scientific :D)

hometeam 02-02-2014 11:00 AM

Ok looking again. Bro you have no ****ing airflow in your case! Its tiny, and you have a high powered GPU and PSU in there, along with the other stuff.

This solidifies my thought that it is heat related.

notorious 02-02-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10407427)
Ok looking again. Bro you have no ****ing airflow in your case! Its tiny, and you have a high powered GPU and PSU in there, along with the other stuff.

This solidifies my thought that it is heat related.

Even when idle?

I will just leave the side of the case off.

hometeam 02-02-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10407433)
Even when idle?

I will just leave the side of the case off.

Your having lock ups on idle? Or under load? Spit out all info about your problem~

notorious 02-02-2014 11:06 AM

I got home from work and it was froze a couple of times. My wife is absent minded and leaves in on after studying.

While gaming it runs pretty cool. Lately it's just Black Ops II Zombies and STALKER, so it's not getting pushed hard.

It never freezes when in use.

notorious 02-02-2014 11:07 AM

It could be as simple as my 2 year old son sneaking down and going crazy on the keyboard.

Thanks for the help, guys. I am running some trial and error to figure this out.

hometeam 02-02-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10407450)
It could be as simple as my 2 year old son sneaking down and going crazy on the keyboard.

Thanks for the help, guys. I am running some trial and error to figure this out.

Ok if its idle, and not at load, mnay not be heat related then.

Doubt its the PSU unless the PSU itself is faulty. If its happening at idle , the GPU isnt even drawing power (boost 2.0 cards underclock and are basically off when the PC idles)

Have you tried running virus scans with avast?

notorious 02-02-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10407458)

Doubt its the PSU unless the PSU itself is faulty. If its happening at idle though, the GPU isnt even drawing power (boost 2.0 cards underclock and are basically off when the PC idles)

Not yet.

I will give it a rip.

htismaqe 02-02-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10407412)
I am not saying your PSU is not responsible for your freeze ups, but its not because it is under powered for your GPU.

They are 100% perfectly compatible and fine in that regard. Now.. you could have a faulty PSU that works but has something wrong.

My bet is its heat related. do you monitor your temps? Download EVGA precision X and use it to monitor your GPU temps, and CPU-Z for the CPU, let me know what your idle and load settings are.

What mobo/CPU btw?

20A on the 12V rail is kind of light. I didn't say the PSU wasn't powerful enough, just that it was on the light side. I prefer a PSU with at least 24A on the 12V rails (and usually no more than 2 since you're losing total power every time you split it).

As I said before, one would EXPECT the power draw of the card to be about 14A based on the EVGA website but they also recommend at least 30A (which I also stated was too much).

Temps could certainly be a problem, as could drivers. I ended up replacing an 8800GTS for my mom a while back because it was doing the EXACT same thing and I couldn't solve it. It passed every heat test, every stress test, and every other test I could run on it.

htismaqe 02-02-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10407458)

Doubt its the PSU unless the PSU itself is faulty. If its happening at idle , the GPU isnt even drawing power (boost 2.0 cards underclock and are basically off when the PC idles)

That's why I pointed him to resume settings in BIOS.

It's like the GPU goes idle and then never comes out of it...

notorious 02-06-2014 11:07 PM

I adjust the power settings and have not had a freeze since.

I got my Mazer mouse in and I hate it. Every time I re-adjust my wrist position it detects movement. I can literally hold it 3/4" off the table and it still registers movement. Thank goodness it was cheap.

Back to the old mouse.

salame 02-07-2014 01:05 AM

**** ram is expensive now

jd1020 02-07-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salame (Post 10418640)
**** ram is expensive now

Floods and fires.

I was lucky and picked up 16gb of 1866 corsair vengeance when it was on sale for $50 an 8gb set.

hometeam 02-07-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10418519)
I adjust the power settings and have not had a freeze since.

I got my Mazer mouse in and I hate it. Every time I re-adjust my wrist position it detects movement. I can literally hold it 3/4" off the table and it still registers movement. Thank goodness it was cheap.

Back to the old mouse.

.. you know it has 4 DPI settings right? You can change how sensitive it is. the little light in the middle below the scroll ? press it.

on lowest DPI I can sweep the mouse across the entire pad backa nd forth and only get about 1 inch movement. The 2nd is even too low for my liking. I pretty much stick with the third highest DPI setting on the mouse (1600 I believe)

notorious 02-07-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10418781)
.. you know it has 4 DPI settings right? You can change how sensitive it is. the little light in the middle below the scroll ? press it.

on lowest DPI I can sweep the mouse across the entire pad backa nd forth and only get about 1 inch movement. The 2nd is even too low for my liking. I pretty much stick with the third highest DPI setting on the mouse (1600 I believe)

Tried it all.

I have never used a mouse that registers movement while holding it off the surface 3/4".

hometeam 02-07-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10418888)
Tried it all.

I have never used a mouse that registers movement while holding it off the surface 3/4".

you should never have to hold any mouse off of the surface. Its an optical mouse so will track on almost anything flat, much like any new gaming mouse.

notorious 02-07-2014 05:13 PM

I have big hands, and rest my wrist and part of my hand on the desk while playing.

The mazer mouse was too low profile for my big hand, since I rest my wrist on the table (to steady my aiming and help endurance) I noticed I constantly re-adjust my hand by lifting and re-centering the mouse. When I do this, my view/aim on the screen goes beserk since the Mazer is still reading movement when I lift and reposition.

I talked to another gaming buddy of mine and he looked at me crazy and said,"The mouse shouldn't read anything unless it is almost contacting the desk.

Exactly.

Meh, it's a cheap mouse. No big deal, I just though others should be aware if they use the mouse the same way I do.

BigBeauford 02-22-2014 01:19 PM

So I am looking at hooking an eGPU up to my Sony Vaio F series 2012 via the expresscard slot. Any one have experiences with this? I see there is a vi dock product for 199 that I would insert a graphics card into(GeForce 750ti which doesn't require external power source). Setup in total is about 350. But I have heard about DIY eGPU setups that might cost a little less, but aren't as tidy. Any thoughts?

BigBeauford 02-27-2014 05:24 PM

Looks like I am about to take the plunge into building a PC for gaming, since I have no desire to get an XBOX One, and my 2012 Sony Vaio Desktop replacement is way outdated, and I am about to get 500 bucks on ebay for it. Here is the build that I pieced together, let me know what you guys think. My goal is to play 1080P games on high-Ultra, including titan fall and DayZ.

-AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

-Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard

-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

-Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card

-Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case

-Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

-Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

-Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

hometeam 02-27-2014 10:08 PM

Ok so let me tell you - The build you just made, is literally almost exactly what my secondary PC is. And the value on that build is just off the charts.

However, you will NOT be able to play DayZ in ultra unless you spend upwards of 2 grand, including dual GPU's. It just plays like shit right now (this will change) I know becuase my 3930k with a big overclock, big overclocked 780, watercooling, the whole 9 yards, does not even get 60 on dayz right now, and drops to sometimes 20s in the city on max graphics.

However, i can play dayz very well on high/medium-high with my system that is set up very similar. Titanfall I cant be sure, but I doubt you can play on ultra, but high is likely perfectly fine.

Nice value build, you will be happy with it. I ended up with around 300 in mine, but I reused a GPU, HDD, and optical drive.

ragedogg69 02-28-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10458132)
the value on that build is just off the charts.

Yeah it is. If you can hold off just a bit and monitor sales and clearance items, you can save big. Instant gratification will cost you ~$100.

TheUte 03-01-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10457546)
Looks like I am about to take the plunge into building a PC for gaming, since I have no desire to get an XBOX One, and my 2012 Sony Vaio Desktop replacement is way outdated, and I am about to get 500 bucks on ebay for it. Here is the build that I pieced together, let me know what you guys think. My goal is to play 1080P games on high-Ultra, including titan fall and DayZ.

-AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

-Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard

-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

-Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card

-Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case

-Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

-Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

-Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

That is a good build, for a couple of bucks you really add some horse power though.

You can upgrade to a FX-8320 for about $40, with that you need a different M/B which is about $50. The 2-extra cores will be useful.
The other thing you could do we to go with a GTX 760, it should be a little less than the AMD, but you can add a second later.
The GTX 760's in SLI scale really well and actually compete with the higher end GPU's.

hometeam 03-01-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10460512)
That is a good build, for a couple of bucks you really add some horse power though.

You can upgrade to a FX-8320 for about $40, with that you need a different M/B which is about $50. The 2-extra cores will be useful.
The other thing you could do we to go with a GTX 760, it should be a little less than the AMD, but you can add a second later.
The GTX 760's in SLI scale really well and actually compete with the higher end GPU's.

If he wants to go into SLI later he needs more than that PSU, especially since the 8320 is a 125w CPU instead of the 95w that the 6300 is.

So yea.. you are talking about doubling the price of his build here.

TheUte 03-01-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10460560)
If he wants to go into SLI later he needs more than that PSU, especially since the 8320 is a 125w CPU instead of the 95w that the 6300 is.

So yea.. you are talking about doubling the price of his build here.

Yeah, like I said a couple bucks, but hardly double.

The upgrades will make the system better and it will last longer.

And as always get the best Power supply you can.

hometeam 03-01-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10460581)
Yeah, like I said a couple bucks, but hardly double.

The upgrades will make the system better and it will last longer.

And as always get the best Power supply you can.

The 500w corsair he listed I payed 29.99 for in my secondary build a few weeks ago, and when you add another 760, plus a motherboard which can support SLI (remember, NVidia SLI takes 2x 16x pci e slots, where most crossfire boards are cheaper priced and can run x16 x4 or x16 x8) its effectively doubling the build price. I wouldn't go with anything than a seasonic or corsair (seasonic makes em!) tx series 750 for SLI.

As I said before, its a GREAT value build. When you start going to an 8320 and doubling the GPUs, higher PSU, and mobo, yes, its going to get more performance, but your dollar per FPS value is going to take a shit~

hell, he may want more FPS and not care about the value, I know my main PC sure has a shitty value but is high powered.

TheUte 03-01-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10460589)
The 500w corsair he listed I payed 29.99 for in my secondary build a few weeks ago, and when you add another 760, plus a motherboard which can support SLI (remember, NVidia SLI takes 2x 16x pci e slots, where most crossfire boards are cheaper priced and can run x16 x4 or x16 x8) its effectively doubling the build price. I wouldn't go with anything than a seasonic or corsair (seasonic makes em!) tx series 750 for SLI.

As I said before, its a GREAT value build. When you start going to an 8320 and doubling the GPUs, higher PSU, and mobo, yes, its going to get more performance, but your dollar per FPS value is going to take a shit~

hell, he may want more FPS and not care about the value, I know my main PC sure has a shitty value but is high powered.

Man, I have the same problem. It started when I got my first 5970, then I wanted a 7970 for my second rig.
Now R9290X, it is awesome but yeah shitty Cost/Value ration for sure.

BigBeauford 03-01-2014 04:39 PM

Starting to order my parts. Got my 6300 CPU, HDD, Rosewill M Line, and My RAM. Right now, the G Skill Ripsaw is 10% off on Newegg until March 6. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding any Radeon products I want around the 200$ range, and might be forced to settle for a 750 ti/660 GTX range.

New World Order 03-01-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10460831)
Starting to order my parts. Got my 6300 CPU, HDD, Rosewill M Line, and My RAM. Right now, the G Skill Ripsaw is 10% off on Newegg until March 6. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding any Radeon products I want around the 200$ range, and might be forced to settle for a 750 ti/660 GTX range.

7870. It's what I plan to go with

jd1020 03-01-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10460831)

I want some of what AMD is smokin.

I was gonna say if you are hell bent on getting an AMD card for around 200 then you should get the r9 270... and thats when I went to go link one and saw their new and outstanding price of $284.

If you have to "settle" for nvidia, then the 660 > 750ti.

BigBeauford 03-01-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10461010)
I want some of what AMD is smokin.

I was gonna say if you are hell bent on getting an AMD card for around 200 then you should get the r9 270... and thats when I went to go link one and saw their new and outstanding price of $284.

If you have to "settle" for nvidia, then the 660 > 750ti.

It's because of bitcoin miners raping the market for video cards. It's only going to get worse.

hometeam 03-01-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10461202)
It's because of bitcoin miners raping the market for video cards. It's only going to get worse.

yea basically. and its not AMD. Its the resellers. They set the price, and they are savvy enough to know that people will pay.

Psyko Tek 03-01-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10460589)

why go double video?
I got a 770 that can handle any game or is that sor online gaming?

hometeam 03-01-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 10461478)
why go double video?
I got a 770 that can handle any game or is that sor online gaming?

Im not saying to go double. That's what other guy said and I was responding to that.

I dont advocate SLI unless you are like me, and never satisfied.

I am seriously considering picking up another 780~ Because no, a 770 will not handle any game you throw at it, on max settings at an at least 60 fps. That really has more to do with the games than the GPU, because the GPU itself is plenty badass.

For the aforementioned build it was set up right from the get go (single GPU). With only a little deviation in what GPU he would get.

Also, be sure to check EVGA B stock and www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap . I have bought and sold several items with no problems. (660 3gb just brought 160 bucks etc) You can even put a want ad like 'best GPU for 200 bucks' and let the offers roll in. Also www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

BigBeauford 03-04-2014 03:10 PM

Slamming good deal today on Newegg for a 500w Corsair CX power supply. It's 29.99 after 20$ MIR. You have to receive their email deals to see it.

Setsuna 03-04-2014 04:22 PM

Newegg sucks.

TheUte 03-04-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10466816)
Newegg sucks.

What do you recommend?

htismaqe 03-04-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10466899)
What do you recommend?

I usually find better deals on Amazon anymore and their customer service/return policy is WAY better.

Hammock Parties 03-19-2014 07:19 AM

Heyyy you guuuuuuys

What are the advantages, of any, over dual Xeons vs a single i7 chip?

Right now I'm looking at either a system with an i4930k or dual e5-2650 v2s

System will be used for editing 1080p video in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

TheUte 03-19-2014 09:07 AM

You need to run Win 7 pro or a server based OS for dual procs.

Benchmark wise its really close. Add in price and its not even close $600 vs $1100.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E...-Core-i7-4930K

notorious 04-15-2014 10:11 AM

My 760 GTX card is about to arrive at EVGA to get repaired, and I happened to notice they have a "Step Up" program in which can trade my current card in for full value towards a better card.

A 780 would be another $250, and the 770 would be another $100.

What do you guys think?

ragedogg69 04-15-2014 10:49 AM

I have a 770 and I am very happy with it. Play most games maxed out at 1080p.

hometeam 04-15-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10563576)
My 760 GTX card is about to arrive at EVGA to get repaired, and I happened to notice they have a "Step Up" program in which can trade my current card in for full value towards a better card.

A 780 would be another $250, and the 770 would be another $100.

What do you guys think?

My 780 is a monster :P

Do what you will, for me, the amount of time I spend using my PC is well worth the relatively small time per dollar investment even when I buy high end shit.

TheUte 04-15-2014 01:29 PM

A 770 is around 20% faster than a 760, seems worth 100 bucks.

Will your Power supply handle the additional load?

notorious 04-15-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10564021)
A 770 is around 20% faster than a 760, seems worth 100 bucks.

Will your Power supply handle the additional load?

This is my power supply:

http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/P...0-763c41ba306a

61 amp/750 watt. I should be Okay.

notorious 04-15-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10406583)

A 770 or 780 is 1" longer than the 760.

htismaqe 04-15-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10564347)

A 770 or 780 is 1" longer than the 760.

I was going to say, depending on the position of your PCIE slots and your HDD bays, you may have a problem...

jd1020 04-15-2014 05:06 PM

Time to get a mans case.

htismaqe 04-15-2014 05:14 PM

The HDD would probably fit in the bracket underneath the 3.5" drive bays.

Then just cut that other rack out of the bottom and you have room for the card. Take a ****ing hacksaw to it. :D

notorious 04-15-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10564425)
Time to get a mans case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10564454)
The HDD would probably fit in the bracket underneath the 3.5" drive bays.

Then just cut that other rack out of the bottom and you have room for the card. Take a ****ing hacksaw to it. :D

Yes.

I only have an I5 3340 processor. Will it bottleneck the beastly 780?

The 760 ran everything beautifully until it took a shit. I am afraid that I am just going to throw away by putting a massive engine in a stock Honda.

jd1020 04-15-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10564494)
I only have an I5 3340 processor. Will it bottleneck the beastly 780?

No.

notorious 04-16-2014 12:03 PM

So much for the "Step Up" idea. I called to upgrade to a 780 and I was told "no".

Since my current card is defective (still under warranty) and currently under the process of being replaced, it can not be upgraded.

How stupid is that? EVGA's customer service people are awesome, but their policies are quite the opposite.

TheUte 04-16-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10566394)
So much for the "Step Up" idea. I called to upgrade to a 780 and I was told "no".

Since my current card is defective (still under warranty) and currently under the process of being replaced, it can not be upgraded.

How stupid is that? EVGA's customer service people are awesome, but their policies are quite the opposite.

So is that NO forever or will they do it once the RMA is done.

Cause if they won't do it after the RMA process I would call and ask to speak with a supervisor.

htismaqe 04-16-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10566412)

Cause if they won't do it after the RMA process I would call and ask to speak with a supervisor.

This.

ToxSocks 04-16-2014 01:09 PM

I'm rockin' a 650TI and i love the thing.

My build was cheap as ****, I scored a donor computer with a Sandy Bridge I5 in it and a fresh W7 install for $200. I used the Chip, Mobo, HD and Optical Drive out of it. Just bought a case, card, Ram and 600w PSU, now i get 80 FPS on Ultra playing WoW in 25m Raid groups. BAAAM

I haven't really tried it on any other games yet. Well, aside from D3, but does that even count?

ToxSocks 04-16-2014 01:12 PM

I stuffed it all into this bad boy.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...?id=C_00002143

such a slick Mid-tower. And I avoided all the pretty lights and shit too. My objective was to be stealthy and quiet.

notorious 04-16-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10566412)

You get 90 days to upgrade and today is my last day.

Meh, I am going to sell this machine to my brother in 6 months and build one like I should have in the first place.

Even though I built this computer at an unbeatable price, the limitations of the Dell case and motherboard became apparent rather quickly.

Listen to hometeam, Ute, JD, and htismaqe. That is all. ;)

hometeam 04-16-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10566615)
You get 90 days to upgrade and today is my last day.

Meh, I am going to sell this machine to my brother in 6 months and build one like I should have in the first place.

Even though I built this computer at an unbeatable price, the limitations of the Dell case and motherboard became apparent rather quickly.

Listen to hometeam, Ute, JD, and htismaqe. That is all. ;)

I bet you can get them to honor the step up since you where delayed due to the RMA, call and just demand to talk to someone that has the power to make it so.

EVGA is known for stellar customer service. My bet is it wont take much prodding at all to get them to look at it from your angle.

htismaqe 04-16-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10566880)
I bet you can get them to honor the step up since you where delayed due to the RMA, call and just demand to talk to someone that has the power to make it so.

EVGA is known for stellar customer service. My bet is it wont take much prodding at all to get them to look at it from your angle.

This.

The Franchise 04-24-2014 01:38 PM

Anybody want to help me build a desktop that can:

1. Play games
2. Able to edit images without lag
3. Able to have dual monitors
4. Be my home network

kcxiv 04-24-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10583001)
Anybody want to help me build a desktop that can:

1. Play games
2. Able to edit images without lag
3. Able to have dual monitors
4. Be my home network

First thin you need to do is put out a price point. It can vary big time. Im looking into building me a new one. Started with a video card today. Ill build a new one soonish! It also helps on the price if you have certain computer parts already.

The Franchise 04-24-2014 01:44 PM

I'm probably looking between $750-$1000

hometeam 04-24-2014 01:52 PM

Are you including monitors in your budget or do you already have them?

When you say edit images do you mean via Photoshop? Photoshop makes great use of hyperthreading so a powerful processor scales directly with it.

The Franchise 04-24-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10583028)
Are you including monitors in your budget or do you already have them?

When you say edit images do you mean via Photoshop? Photoshop makes great use of hyperthreading so a powerful processor scales directly with it.

I've already got the monitors....so the money can go strictly to the PC build.

Yeah....strictly using the Adobe Creative Suite.

hometeam 04-24-2014 08:24 PM

Should be pretty easy. Are you going to overclock? If not you can save a few bucks on proc/mobo etc

hometeam 04-24-2014 08:48 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($284.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1011.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-24 22:48 EDT-0400)

Throw out the SSD and your under 1k. Powerful system that I m in love with already. You could also knock the DDR down to 1600 speed and save a few bucks. But 1866 is starting to be the standard. Nice nice build with hyperthreading for next-gen PC (not console LOL) games, Adobe, and any video encoding you might do, like using shadowplay on your 760.

If you need a windows license you can get 7 or 8 right now for about 15 bucks on www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap

mdstu 04-24-2014 09:16 PM

If you have a Microcenter nearby check their CPU/MB combos.
They currently have the 4th gen 4770K for $250 plus $30-$40 off the MB.

hometeam 04-24-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 10584152)

This too. Will be an even better value.

The Franchise 04-24-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10584047)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($284.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1011.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-24 22:48 EDT-0400)

Throw out the SSD and your under 1k. Powerful system that I m in love with already. You could also knock the DDR down to 1600 speed and save a few bucks. But 1866 is starting to be the standard. Nice nice build with hyperthreading for next-gen PC (not console LOL) games, Adobe, and any video encoding you might do, like using shadowplay on your 760.

If you need a windows license you can get 7 or 8 right now for about 15 bucks on www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap

Damn....thanks man. Is it a big deal that the MB has spots for USB3 but the case doesn't?

No over clocking BTW

hometeam 04-25-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10584255)
Damn....thanks man. Is it a big deal that the MB has spots for USB3 but the case doesn't?

No over clocking BTW

Well it depends. Some mobos come with the USB 3 ports themselves that you just run and fill a drive bay with. That's the way my Asrock extreme 6 is. But, that one may not be.

If it does not come with one of these you can always add it. Again, my asrock mobo came with one.

I also didn't add an aftermarket air cooler to the setup. But, since your not ocing your likely fine.

jd1020 04-25-2014 02:38 PM

My current computer has an ASUS Z87-Pro and my case is a CM 690 II from the pre USB 3.0 era.

I simply don't care enough to spend the extra money on one of those bay adapters the reroute the back panel USB 3.0 to the front. I just plugged the front ports into the USB 2.0 slots and I've never felt like I needed to go out and get USB 3.0. Real world speed increase from 2 to 3 is what? Double to triple? I really only use the front USB ports for transferring word documents, pictures, etc. onto a flash drive. Not worth it to me to buy an adapter or new case. Unless you have an external hard drive for storing big items then I wouldnt worry about it. Even then, if your hard drive doesn't support USB 3.0 you wont be getting that increase in speed.

TheUte 04-25-2014 03:25 PM

That's a nice build Hometeam put together.

If you could stretch the budget a little upgrading the Power Supply and moving to a GTX-770 would be real nice upgrade, you would definitely see a Performance boost.

TheUte 04-25-2014 03:29 PM

If you can get to a MicroCenter this is damn good deal.

http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.asp...icrocenter.com

The Franchise 04-25-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10585311)

An empty cart?

TheUte 04-25-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10585318)
An empty cart?

Yeah is super cheap.

My copy pasta was broken, try this.

The Franchise 04-25-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10585322)
Yeah is super cheap.

My copy pasta was broken, try this.

Screaming deal. $0 for nothing. LMAO

TheUte 04-25-2014 03:41 PM

http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx

They have a couple of really good deals

TheUte 04-30-2014 06:46 PM

Just got this email, actually looks like a good deal.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2&sku=B69-1760

mdstu 04-30-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 10584152)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10585311)

Great minds think alike.