ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Rumor: Chiefs are signing Hollywood Brown (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352725)

-King- 03-14-2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 17442668)
Perfect "one year prove it" candidate. This feels like Juju if it happens. He's a great fit for what we do.

The issue with Boyd is that he'll occupy the exact same space as Rice and Kelce. He's a fit for the scheme but we already have 2 players that do exactly what he's good at. We need someone that can stretch the field and be good in the intermediate/deep area. So for that reason, I'd rather have Hollywood.

staylor26 03-14-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 17442674)
Why?

Because he's mostly a slot only guy that brings very little in terms of athleticism, and he's almost 30 and clearly on the decline.

OnTheWarpath15 03-14-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17442676)
The issue with Boyd is that he'll occupy the exact same space as Rice and Kelce. He's a fit for the scheme but we already have 2 players that do exactly what he's good at. We need someone that can stretch the field and be good in the intermediate/deep area. So for that reason, I'd rather have Hollywood.

If all we drafted Rice to do is the occasional slant and bubble screens I'd be surprised.

My hope is that they start using Rice down the field and on the boundary - his comp was DeAndre Hopkins - start using him that way and replace the short yardage stuff with Boyd or someone like him.

ThyKingdomCome15 03-14-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17442676)

Yes but we still need depth. Outside of Rice we could cut every reciever and not skip a beat.

You may not have to worry about it though. Some are saying he's a Steeler so it likely is just a rumor. I think Hollywood costs too much. I'd rather bring back Mecole and draft a burner like AD Mitchell.

I would be excited Hollywood ends up here though. Rickey is standing firm on it. Word is once Sneed is traded Hollywood is a Chief.

BryanBusby 03-14-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17442680)
Because he's mostly a slot only guy that brings very little in terms of athleticism, and he's almost 30 and clearly on the decline.

Strong emphasis on being on the decline.

OnTheWarpath15 03-14-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

I guess I'm not seeing the decline - he's been consistently in the high 700/low 800 yard range for the last 4 years, only ended up in the high 600's last year but was playing with a backup QB.

Pretty decent numbers for the 3rd option in the passing offense.

cmh6476 03-14-2024 09:33 AM

any POS update?

staylor26 03-14-2024 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17442698)
I guess I'm not seeing the decline - he's been consistently in the high 700/low 800 yard range for the last 4 years, only ended up in the high 600's last year but was playing with a backup QB.

Just the eye test. Looked older and slower to me last year :shrug:

chiefforlife 03-14-2024 09:55 AM

Quote:

I get that but he would be an upgrade over our other WRs outside of Rice.

We need actual NFL WRs who can catch. Andy will figure out how to use them.

We can get the field stretcher in the draft or maybe Hollywood, I would rather sign Hollywood but he may just be to expensive.

The Franchise 03-14-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 17442747)
I get that but he would be an upgrade over our other WRs outside of Rice.

We need actual NFL WRs who can catch. Andy will figure out how to use them.

We can get the field stretcher in the draft or maybe Hollywood, I would rather sign Hollywood but he may just be to expensive.

We need to stop with this whole "sign this guy because he's an obvious upgrade" bullshit. That's how you sign shit players.

chiefforlife 03-14-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17442764)
We need to stop with this whole "sign this guy because he's an obvious upgrade" bullshit. That's how you sign shit players.

Tyler Boyd is NOT a shit player. You could argue that our WRs currently are shit players.

Signing obvious upgrades = shit players? lol

duncan_idaho 03-14-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17442698)

Because you're looking at it purely from a catches/yards perspective.

Which is an important one but not completely telling.

Boyd is a solid possession slot receiver who isn't going to do much after the catch and isn't great at separating against man.

If Tyler Boyd is added to the Chiefs offense, you still need to improve your intermediate/deep weaponry, you still need to improve your ability to beat man coverage, and you still need to add more speed to the receiving group.

Maybe Rice steps up and is better at man and as an intermediate receiver. That's a reasonable year 2 projection.

For me, if I'm adding a FA receiver I want to add someone who gives me some insurance if the best use of Rice is still how he was used a year ago (YAC guy, zone buster).

BigRedChief 03-14-2024 10:15 AM

a Starcade media tweet

Let the speculation begin. Patrick Mahomes now following Hollywood Brown on Instagram.

Megatron96 03-14-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17442786)

Boyd is a solid possession slot receiver who isn't going to do much after the catch and isn't great at separating against man.

If Tyler Boyd is added to the Chiefs offense, you still need to improve your intermediate/deep weaponry, you still need to improve your ability to beat man coverage, and you still need to add more speed to the receiving group.

Maybe Rice steps up and is better at man and as an intermediate receiver. That's a reasonable year 2 projection.

For me, if I'm adding a FA receiver I want to add someone who gives me some insurance if the best use of Rice is still how he was used a year ago (YAC guy, zone buster).

We're in agreement on that last part. And the answer is OBJ. Dude can still get it done.

DJ's left nut 03-14-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17442786)

Boyd is someone who backs up Rice - not someone who complements him.

That's the issue with Boyd. He's a lesser version of what we have. Not someone who assists alongside what we have.