ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

mikeyis4dcats. 04-28-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463602)
But we have seen their secretaries and know for a fact they're real people. It was just the first thing that came to my mind, given Joan's track record with men and how she already told this guy she'd throw her son overboard to be with him.

only because they have other uses in the story. Richard's assistant is meaningless.

Brock 04-28-2015 02:02 PM

Not saying there's anything to it, just saying it seemed like a strange thing to do in the context of the scene.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-28-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463794)
Not saying there's anything to it, just saying it seemed like a strange thing to do in the context of the scene.

not really. As mentioned, he wanted Joan to hear him do it. And he needed to do it. It was late afternoon east coast time IIRC so he needed to get a ticket.

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463794)

Agreed. I doubt there is anything to it, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it either.

Brock 04-28-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11463799)
not really. As mentioned, he wanted Joan to hear him do it. And he needed to do it. It was late afternoon east coast time IIRC so he needed to get a ticket.

http://www.beyondsamba.org/wp-conten...-disagree1.png

mikeyis4dcats. 04-28-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463826)

hardly. YOU are the one arguing against the obvious.

Brock 04-28-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11463850)
hardly. YOU are the one arguing against the obvious.

I'm not arguing anything. I'm stating an opinion about an artistic and stylistic choice. That it's at odds with your own seems to be bothering you, not me.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-28-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463909)
I'm not arguing anything. I'm stating an opinion about an artistic and stylistic choice. That it's at odds with your own seems to be bothering you, not me.

well, it seems to me you're arguing a plot point (why he did it, and if there is a secretary). But if you view it as a artistic and stylistic choice (like what color a suit is or a musical choice) so be it.

we'll agree to disagree...

eDave 04-28-2015 05:32 PM

We don't know much about the guy, other than what he has told us. He may be full of shit.

:shrug:

Brock 04-28-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11463961)
well, it seems to me you're arguing a plot point (why he did it, and if there is a secretary). But if you view it as a artistic and stylistic choice (like what color a suit is or a musical choice) so be it.

we'll agree to disagree...

No, see, this is an argument. You are saying I am arguing a plot point when I am not. What I am doing is pointing out an admittedly maybe baseless perception I had about a particular scene and whether there is any import to the way it was shot and acted. You are arguing against what I perceived and thought at the spur of the moment. I tend to think Weiner is very specific in how and why things are set up, acted, and shot, whatever his intention were in this case. You don't. You think I am simply arguing against the obvious, when I'm actually surprised nobody else even picked up on the strangeness of that scene. Perception is just that.

NewChief 04-28-2015 07:40 PM

I kind of hope Brock is right just due to the strident protestations of his theory.

DJ's left nut 04-29-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463602)
But we have seen their secretaries and know for a fact they're real people. It was just the first thing that came to my mind, given Joan's track record with men and how she already told this guy she'd throw her son overboard to be with him.

So we're supposed to believe your conspiracy theory despite the fact that you missed the clear sarcasm from Joan w/r/t her son?

No, she most assuredly did not tell Richard that she'd throw her son overboard. She was mostly pointing out what a staggering prick he was to expect her to do so. It was almost ham-fisted in how biting it was.

Brock 04-29-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11465676)
So we're supposed to believe your conspiracy theory despite the fact that you missed the clear sarcasm from Joan w/r/t her son?

No, she most assuredly did not tell Richard that she'd throw her son overboard. She was mostly pointing out what a staggering prick he was to expect her to do so. It was almost ham-fisted in how biting it was.

It. Isn't. A. Theory.

It was just an impression I got from the way the scene was shot and acted.

Brock 04-29-2015 09:31 PM

Will admit to not being sure if joan was serious about leaving her son, both because I wasn't really paying attention to that scene and because I think Joan is a ditz and the actor playing her isn't very good. But after she had just shouted something about ruining her life in the direction of the kid, I thought she might have been serious about it.

Demonpenz 05-01-2015 03:53 PM

Joan's real like actress reminds me of this girl I went to high school that was under water for like 5 minutes but still lived. sucked alot of dick tho