ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 10:56 AM

It's funny the whole point of lifting weights is to feel good and that ca be accomplished in many ways.

Silock 12-21-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9229568)
I thought it fit better since his focus is cardio.

If he's a n00b and puts on too much weight, his form is likely to fail leading to injury, particularly with squat. That's been my experience with n00bs anyway.

If he gets his form solid and gets his supporting muscles stronger, then he could move the weight up, but if he's a n00b, I wouldn't suggest heavy 3 or 5 rep sets.

He isn't squatting.

He could just as easily injure himself with bad form on lighter weights, as well. Form is just as likely to be shot at the end of a 12 rep set, as the muscle will actually be more fatigued than it will with a lower rep set. And he shouldn't start at super high weight with a low rep scheme. He should start lighter and work his way up and keep his focus on form.

I would prefer working lower rep sets when cardio is the focus. Less overall fatigue and overtraining.

Silock 12-21-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9229598)
I know what silock is getting at, but he is already wired to put in max and get out max. Lots of people want to go to the gym to feel good not to be ****ing crushed. Silock associates pain with gain, but most just want to get up get out and do then excersizes correctly.

Not pain. Never pain.

Effort.

Silock 12-21-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9229604)
It's funny the whole point of lifting weights is to feel good and that ca be accomplished in many ways.

This is generally true, but your options become much more limited when you are dead set on doing one thing more than necessary, like cardio every day.

Buehler445 12-21-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9229662)
He isn't squatting.

He could just as easily injure himself with bad form on lighter weights, as well. Form is just as likely to be shot at the end of a 12 rep set, as the muscle will actually be more fatigued than it will with a lower rep set. And he shouldn't start at super high weight with a low rep scheme. He should start lighter and work his way up and keep his focus on form.

I would prefer working lower rep sets when cardio is the focus. Less overall fatigue and overtraining.

That's fair enough. Just so long as he minds the bolded part. Most people I've been around haven't done that.

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9229666)
Not pain. Never pain.

Effort.

semantics. Two human drives are pain and pleasure.

Silock 12-21-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9229728)
semantics. Two human drives are pain and pleasure.

I don't think it's semantics at all. Effort doesn't have to be painful. But it does need to be at least a little difficult, or you aren't actually doing anything productive. If you aren't putting in effort in the gym, you might as well just stay home.

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9229755)
I don't think it's semantics at all. Effort doesn't have to be painful. But it does need to be at least a little difficult, or you aren't actually doing anything productive. If you aren't putting in effort in the gym, you might as well just stay home.

agree to disagree. Most of life is just showing up.

Silock 12-21-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9229836)

I have seen way too many people that go to the gym every day for years and not lose any weight at all for that to be true in this case.

Marcellus 12-21-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9229836)

LMAO that is priceless. Unfortunately too many of my employees feel the same way about their job.LMAO

WV 12-21-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9229937)
I have seen way too many people that go to the gym every day for years and not lose any weight at all for that to be true in this case.

I would lean towards agreeing with this. A lot of gyms are full of people just showing up, throwing up some weight on the bench a few times and the rest is socializing, flexing in the mirror, trolling for chicks, or taking up valuable weight stations.

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9229944)
I would lean towards agreeing with this. A lot of gyms are full of people just showing up, throwing up some weight on the bench a few times and the rest is socializing, flexing in the mirror, trolling for chicks, or taking up valuable weight stations.

keeping the lights on by paying dues?

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9229943)
LMAO that is priceless. Unfortunately too many of my employees feel the same way about their job.LMAO

fortunately they don't say **** it and they stay home?

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9229937)

They are healthy enough to make it to the gym for years. Success isn't only about dropping pounds.

WV 12-21-2012 01:21 PM

Smith machines...love them or hate them.

I work out in my basement and much prefer my olympic barbell and free weights, but some lifts are too hard alone to go heavy. If I go heavy on incline for example i use my Smith machine with free weights.