ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck. (part 2) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279640)

Mr. Plow 12-18-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 10290838)
Well again... there are other variables that come into play... blocking from the OL being a big one... how well a RB is seeing the proper lanes, another.

I didn't pay much attention to Cassell... nor could I have known without question what he was changing the play to.

Jesus you are full of excuses.

DJ's left nut 12-18-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10290846)
So your argument is......

Alex Smith makes Charles better. But you can't back it up or show stats to solidify your argument.

Got it.

In the end I think it's hard to argue that there's not a symbiotic relationship between a RB and a QB.

I think Smith actually does make Charles a little better, if for no other reason than he keeps the offense reasonably productive, keeps it on the field and allows Charles to do his thing. I think Charles makes Smith significantly better for reasons that appear quite obvious to me.

I mean sure, if we're setting scales, they tip in favor of Charles' contributions to Smith's success. But to say that Smith doesn't play some role in Charles success isn't being terribly fair.

The roles feed off each other and if we had Cassel/Quinn out there throwing ints and fumbling away snaps, Charles would have been nowhere near as impactful this season.

Sandy Vagina 12-18-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10290852)
Probably because you're a ****ing douchebag.

Just as I think of you... maybe we are both right. I'm okay with that. :D

Sandy Vagina 12-18-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10290857)
Jesus you are full of excuses.

so... blocking OL have nothing to do with a RB's success? That's just an excuse?

a RB hitting the right hole? deciding between patience and haste... just an excuse?

there can be no other variables for a RB's success other than the QB?

NinerDoug 12-18-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10290849)
The thing is, I don't hate Alex Smith. Actually, I like him. A LOT.

It's just a shame that it's not good enough. Anything less than undying man-love is "hater" talk.

Everybody around here seems to be fairly content with what he is doing now. I didn't mean hatred toward Alex. He stirs up hatred between posters. They take it personally for some reason.

The Franchise 12-18-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 10290879)
Everybody around here seems to be fairly content with what he is doing now. I didn't mean hatred toward Alex. He stirs up hatred between posters. They take it personally for some reason.

The disgust comes from a certain number of posters who came over here after the trade and basically stated that anything but devout love for Alex is hatred for him. It's akin to the Pats fans who came over here in 2009 and railed on everyone for not loving Cassel.

GOB 12-18-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10290795)
Actually, the Chargers might be one I'd consider over the Chiefs.

But that's due in large part to the fact that I believe Rivers is a truly excellent QB and his contract matches his status as a very good, but not historic passer. His average salary over the length of his extension is a hair over $14 million. Even in his last 2 backloaded seasons, he'll average right at $17 million. That's a lot, but not prohibitive.

The problem has been that in the last few years some very stupid contracts have been handed out that have warped the value/view of solid quarterbacks who do not qualify as true force multipliers.

There's inherent value in a QB who's production actually matches his paycheck in a salary cap environment.

So I put those three teams up there for a reason:
- I totally agree with you that Rivers is excellent, particularly this year and his contract is reasonable value for a top 10 QB. But how many pieces away are they from beating a team like Seattle? I think if they add a star player or two on their D, they have an outside outside chance within the next three years.
- The Cowboys are the quintessential team with the overpaid QB. They will never sniff the superbowl. HArd time just making the playoffs
- Then there's us. We've a complete defense. On offense, if the O-line continues to improve, we are a TE and a tier 1 receiver away. If we luck out on a late 1st round QB, all the better. I could see us matching Seattle within the next 3 years.

Rausch 12-18-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 10290847)
The occasionally intriguing thing about this is... as it was then... at some point, it stops even being about Alex Smith at all. It becomes poster vs poster.. and animosities of new and old exchanges.

Well, duh.

Those that didn't like Alex are in a no-lose situation.

If we're right - we're right.

If we're wrong we watch a QB win us playoff games and take us to a super bowl and say "wooo boy was I wrong about that guy!"

The Franchise 12-18-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOB (Post 10290885)
So I put those three teams up there for a reason:
- I totally agree with you that Rivers is excellent, particularly this year and his contract is reasonable value for a top 10 QB. But how many pieces away are they from beating a team like Seattle? I think if they add a star player or two on their D, they have an outside outside chance within the next three years.
- The Cowboys are the quintessential team with the overpaid QB. They will never sniff the superbowl. HArd time just making the playoffs
- Then there's us. We've a complete defense. On offense, if the O-line continues to improve, we are a TE and a tier 1 receiver away. If we luck out on a late 1st round QB, all the better. I could see us matching Seattle within the next 3 years.

I don't think the Cowboys are ****ed because of Romo's contract. It has to do with Jones having his hands in everything, a HC who has no clue what he's doing, a bunch of other shitty contracts and the fact that they negated their best passrusher by changing defenses.

htismaqe 12-18-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 10290879)

Man love. Pretty obvious.

GOB 12-18-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10290795)
The problem has been that in the last few years some very stupid contracts have been handed out that have warped the value/view of solid quarterbacks who do not qualify as true force multipliers.

There's inherent value in a QB who's production actually matches his paycheck in a salary cap environment.

And one more thing. You're totally right about the few stupid contracts. The market for QB's in FA is totally overvalued. Which brings up another point about Rivers. SD drafted him. For us to get a guy like that from the outside, I dont think we could get the same kind of deal they're getting.

Generally, defense is the best bang-for-buck right now in terms of FA. The WR free agency market is pretty screwed up too.

htismaqe 12-18-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10290884)
The disgust comes from a certain number of posters who came over here after the trade and basically stated that anything but devout love for Alex is hatred for him. It's akin to the Pats fans who came over here in 2009 and railed on everyone for not loving Cassel.

This x1000.

ChiefsCountry 12-18-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10290884)

The irony is they hate the starting QB for their team more than we hate Alex Smith. Double faced douchebags is what they are.

NinerDoug 12-18-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10290916)
Man love. Pretty obvious.

It's bizarre. There are actually some posters who call themselves Niners fans over there saying they want to see KC defeat the Niners in the Superbowl.

It's almost like Alex is their little brother or something.

Sandy Vagina 12-18-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10290896)
Well, duh.

Those that didn't like Alex are in a no-lose situation.

If we're right - we're right.

If we're wrong we watch a QB win us playoff games and take us to a super bowl and say "wooo boy was I wrong about that guy!"

yep... they sure covered their ass just fine on this. ;)