ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign Jawaan Taylor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347961)

The Franchise 03-14-2023 11:41 AM

The reason that people don't really get it is because most analysts look at RT and see the more unathletic tackle. Usually, on most teams, they have a guy out there who doesn't have the ability to move like a LT. Taylor can do that. He's infinitely more athletic than OBJ was.

He's also seen a bunch of elite passrushers and held his own. In today's NFL...they're constantly moving guys around and putting their top DEs up against RTs. It isn't like the old days where your best pass rusher constantly went up against your LT every snap.

Does all of that mean that Taylor is a lock to succeed at LT? No but it gives him a leg up.

Frazod 03-14-2023 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 16854482)
It's about ratings. If he said the Chiefs find value at tackle nobody is interested. Most fans understandably want Kansas City to get worse. They are going to be drawn to headlines like this and that's all Skip cares about.

That's certainly part of it, but you can tell that Skip absolutely hates us. I think the main reason is because Shannon loves Mahomes and fits Skip for clown shoes almost daily when it comes to his horrible takes on the Chiefs.

FANATIC 03-14-2023 11:43 AM

I have checked in on the Jags Boards. Jags fans say that he had one decent season and then got way too much from KC. They did not seem to think Taylor was anything but average at best.

One post pointed out that the Jags played a milk toast schedule.

Typical fan board. When I guy is cut loose its he was not worth the money. New guy gets signed and OMG what a steal. I too am guilty of that. LOL

morphius 03-14-2023 11:43 AM

I was a bit worried about the RT to LT transition, but then I saw that yapping dog Skips opinion and feel better about it already.

TwistedChief 03-14-2023 11:45 AM

Yeah, I totally agree with that. The dude is athletic and getting better, and it makes sense that we'd give this a try.

But there's no part of me that says, "Well we just did it with OBJ so why can't we do it here?" Because OBJ was already playing LT regularly. So we didn't do anything except incorporate him into our system.

staylor26 03-14-2023 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16854528)
You really think it's more difficult to transition from Baltimore's scheme to KC's than it is for a guy to move from RT to LT?

Tackles change teams all the time. Schemes change all the time for the same team.

High end RTs don't regularly shift to LT.

It's not just transitioning from Baltimore's scheme to KC's, it's about the lack of athleticism and feet that you just can't coach.

Even after seeing OBJ play LT in Baltimore, those concerns remained. They don't exist with Taylor. It's just a matter of if he can get comfortable doing it on the left side.

O.city 03-14-2023 11:45 AM

IIRC, he played LT in college at Florida. So that would atleast be something.

ptlyon 03-14-2023 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FANATIC (Post 16854540)
I have checked in on the Jags Boards. Jags fans say that he had one decent season and then got way too much from KC. They did not seem to think Taylor was anything but average at best.

Typical fan board. When I guy is cut loose its he was not worth the money. New guy gets signed and OMG what a steal. I too am guilty of that. LOL

Jags fan WTF. Jpg

DRM08 03-14-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FANATIC (Post 16854540)

He also only had 1 year with a good coaching staff. Bottom line is the tape shows a lot of athleticism. Gotta trust Andy Reid, Andy Heck, Brett Veach, and Spags/Cullen who had to go against Taylor in 2 games this season.

TwistedChief 03-14-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16854548)
IIRC, he played LT in college at Florida. So that would atleast be something.

Nope, he was a RT there too. Only started 2 games at LT.

MVChiefFan 03-14-2023 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 16854553)
He also only had 1 year with a good coaching staff. Bottom line is the tape shows a lot of athleticism. Gotta trust Andy Reid, Andy Heck, Brett Veach, and Spags/Cullen who had to go against Taylor in 2 games this season.

I’m to the point that I don’t even question what this team does anymore. They could sign me to play LT right now and I would think, “they know what they’re doing”.

wazu 03-14-2023 11:53 AM

While I’m mostly in the camp of “Trust Veach”, I don’t think I’ll feel great about this signing until we get into the regular season and see it working out. Seems like a gamble with upside, but at a position where we cannot afford to be wrong.

FANATIC 03-14-2023 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 16854551)
Jags fan WTF. Jpg

My point was all fan boards are like this. The guy is great until the first loss. The guy is great until he becomes a free agent. WE just got a steal. We have better coaching and a better system. Blah Blah Blah. Typical fans. I included myself.

Megatron96 03-14-2023 11:58 AM

don't know a thing about this guy. But he is much more athletic than OBJ. I'm trying to compare him vs. Fish, and he doesn't look less capable than EF, in fact he looks quicker to me. I wouldn't mind it at all if Taylor proved to be prime Fisher 2.0 basically.

tredadda 03-14-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16854423)
I caught Bill Barnwell on the SVP sportscenter and he basically called the Chiefs stupid without outright saying it. Basically saying NFL teams don't do this, they have the top QB in the game and they are signing a RT to be a LT, it's extremely risky.

NFL teams also don’t trade a Top 5 receiver in his prime either, we saw how well that worked for KC. The Chiefs do things different and it works, but talking heads have to criticize it despite the success KC has.