ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300780)

RunKC 07-18-2016 10:16 AM

Per Terez Paylor, Berry and his agent wanted a deal that was the same % of the cap that Earl Thomas got a few years ago, which should round out to the $12 million number.

Sounds like he wants a little more to be the highest paid both in numbers and %.

O.city 07-18-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12321058)
I just feel like we've proven that this team can play without him.

Parker at single high and some combination of Fleming/Brown playing Abdullah's role. It worked.

The whole "we look forward to negotiating with him in the off-season" thing is obviously bullshit. He's going to be a year older and with one more year of leverage. He'll have been given another massive single-year salary. If the Chiefs had any interest in giving him the salary he's going to demand next year, they'd have just rolled it into their deal this year.

This isn't like Houston's situation where they weren't entirely sure what they had just yet. What they got out of Berry last year is peak Berry. They know what he is and anything else is actually downside. Houston still had baked in upside and it was to the benefit of both parties to see if he'd reach it before they entered into a long-term arrangement.

Berry is this. He's not going to be better than he was and his decline years are going to start soon enough. If the Chiefs didn't feel he was worth that long-term investment now, they never will.

And if the tag isn't going to be used to create a long-term deal, then it shouldn't be used.

They can play without him, but I think they're obviously better with him. If he's peak berry as he was last year, the defense is better with him.

But if this is the path they were always going to go down, I'd have let him go, kept Sean smith and targeted another safety

O.city 07-18-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12321058)
I just feel like we've proven that this team can play without him.

Parker at single high and some combination of Fleming/Brown playing Abdullah's role. It worked.

The whole "we look forward to negotiating with him in the off-season" thing is obviously bullshit. He's going to be a year older and with one more year of leverage. He'll have been given another massive single-year salary. If the Chiefs had any interest in giving him the salary he's going to demand next year, they'd have just rolled it into their deal this year.

This isn't like Houston's situation where they weren't entirely sure what they had just yet. What they got out of Berry last year is peak Berry. They know what he is and anything else is actually downside. Houston still had baked in upside and it was to the benefit of both parties to see if he'd reach it before they entered into a long-term arrangement.

Berry is this. He's not going to be better than he was and his decline years are going to start soon enough. If the Chiefs didn't feel he was worth that long-term investment now, they never will.

And if the tag isn't going to be used to create a long-term deal, then it shouldn't be used.

I'm also leery to ever say a guy can't be better.

O.city 07-18-2016 10:26 AM

But there's no way you're getting 10.8 million dollars worth of value from him this year, unless he goes crazy with 10 picks and 5 for tds

Skyy God 07-18-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12321059)
It appears as if there was a failure of communication by one or both parties.

Had the Chiefs known that Berry wanted $35 million guaranteed, I would *think* that they would have kept Tyvon Branch at $5 million per and either traded Berry or allowed him to become a free agent, as well as drafting a replacement.

Something isn't adding up, unless it was a gigantic PR move on the Chiefs side. "Hey, we tried".

I would have rather the Chiefs had gone this route, PR hit be dammed.

The fact is Berry was overpaid as a safety from his rookie deal, and that served to inflate his contract expectations above positional/market value.

DaneMcCloud 07-18-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 12321097)
I would have rather the Chiefs had gone this route, PR hit be dammed.

The fact is Berry was overpaid as a safety from his rookie deal, and that served to inflate his contract expectations above positional/market value.

Well, to be honest, Clark Hunt's statement about Berry kind of ****ed them.

It's pretty difficult to trade or release a guy weeks after the CEO says that he's a valuable part of the team and its future.

Skyy God 07-18-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12321102)
Well, to be honest, Clark Hunt's statement about Berry kind of ****ed them.

It's pretty difficult to trade or release a guy weeks after the CEO says that he's a valuable part of the team and its future.

I'm not surprised.

Clark seems like he inherited more money than negotiating acumen or intellectual firepower.

mcaj22 07-18-2016 11:35 AM

even when the offseason comes and they cut a bunch of guys to make space (Colquit, Charles, Mauga, etc). I still wouldn't use that space to pay Berry.

Mr. Laz 07-18-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12321059)
It appears as if there was a failure of communication by one or both parties.

Had the Chiefs known that Berry wanted $35 million guaranteed, I would *think* that they would have kept Tyvon Branch at $5 million per and either traded Berry or allowed him to become a free agent, as well as drafting a replacement.

Something isn't adding up, unless it was a gigantic PR move on the Chiefs side. "Hey, we tried".

I was saying basically this same shit 6 months ago and got nothing but a bunch whiny bitches coming at me.

They ensured me that Berry WOULD NEVER asks for such big money ... that Berry would almost assuredly take a paycut given his large rookie contract.

blah,blah,blah

Tyvon Branch sucks, keep Berry

where are all you fugtards now who started all the shit?

Same crap each time something comes up, people scream and yell talking about how they are right and everyone else is an idiot. Then 6-12 months they vanish like the wind pretend they didn't say shit.

This place has more mouthy assholes than a ****ing political convention.

Red Dawg 07-18-2016 05:23 PM

Hey! Watch it bud! How can anyone not be surprised that he would act like N asshole and not negotiate. Sound like he said 12 mil of **** you Dorsey. He scoffed at 10 mil per year after we paid his ass in 14 for nothing. What a waste of money that was. We helped him and ****ed us.

Mr. Laz 07-18-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12321811)
Hey! Watch it bud! How can anyone not be surprised that he would act like N asshole and not negotiate. Sound like he said 12 mil of **** you Dorsey. He scoffed at 10 mil per year after we paid his ass in 14 for nothing. What a waste of money that was. We helped him and ****ed us.

Why would anyone think he would take a paycut?

Players rarely take paycuts with their existing team. They try the market and take less money someplace new if they have to. Just they way it works.

Last year we were arguing about this same shit and i said then that Berry wouldn't take the paycut and that a SS isn't worth 10+ m per and everyone freaked out.

I don't give a single shit whether the Chiefs label him at FS, he still plays like a SS. Berry has one more year to become Ed Reed or we let him walk. That stupid Pos Crennel should never work in the league again for putting a safety drafted in the top 5 at SS. Stupid ****er.

ThaVirus 07-18-2016 05:58 PM

He's got one year to become the best ball-hawk of all time. Got it.

ThaVirus 07-18-2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12321811)

You are way too emotionally invested in this stuff.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-18-2016 05:59 PM

Laz has hit the bottle again it seems

Pasta Little Brioni 07-18-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12321868)
You are way too emotionally invested in this stuff.

It's wrasslin in pads.