ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Reaper16 07-31-2014 11:02 AM

C'mon, Bonifacio trade. I want to see him reacquired, then released next month in a waiver trade gambit that doesn't pay off. I want the Dayton Moore failures to pile up higher & higher.

Bowser 07-31-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10777799)
C'mon, Bonifacio trade. I want to see him reacquired, then released next month in a waiver trade gambit that doesn't pay off. I want the Dayton Moore failures to pile up higher & higher.

You could argue that the sun is being blocked out due to those being piled up at this point.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 11:05 AM

Red Sox will probably be dealing some of their outfielders now. None of them fit for the Royals though.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2014 11:09 AM

DM in a really tough spot with our fans. They want him to pick up a 1-starter like Shields but not to give up anything of value. But then they really don't want him picking up anyone because our prospects are all good and all succeed. Plus we are out of it anyway. BUT WAIT! bIn another twist, now we should be goin after legit players. And no Donorfia or Boni. It's Byrd or what about Beltre? I'm sure we have some mid level dudes cruising NW Arky that other teams would be forced to accept?

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10777821)
DM in a really tough spot with our fans. They want him to pick up a 1-starter like Shields but not to give up anything of value. But then they really don't want him picking up anyone because our prospects are all good and all succeed. Plus we are out of it anyway. BUT WAIT! bIn another twist, now we should be goin after legit players. And no Donorfia or Boni. It's Byrd or what about Beltre? I'm sure we have some mid level dudes cruising NW Arky that other teams would be forced to accept?

Mitch Maier for Adrian Beltre should make everyone happy.

Unsmooth-Moment 07-31-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

SAUTO 07-31-2014 11:32 AM

lackey to the cards for allen craig and joe kelly

Unsmooth-Moment 07-31-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10777888)
lackey to the cards for allen craig and joe kelly

Lackey was appealing due to his $500K contract next season.. Watch him retire LMAO

BigCatDaddy 07-31-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

He is in a tough spot with the fans because they team has been shit the better part of 8 years and doesn't appear to be making the playoffs anytime soon.

alnorth 07-31-2014 11:42 AM

We're in a weird spot that pretty much points to doing nothing as the correct option. (at least nothing much, maybe a minor deal can be OK)

We're 5 games back of Detroit and 3.5 games back of the Wild Card with 2 months left. The Monte Carlo simulations currently have us at around a 12-17% chance of making the playoffs. (of course those odds go up if we win a few games and fall if we lose a few, but the only thing thats important is what the odds are today, since this is the trade deadline)

We're close enough that we can't wave the white flag especially given that we're the Royals, but we're far enough back that cashing in some of our valuable chips to make a run at it this year would probably be really stupid. Trading our top prospects might make our playoff odds go up to, what, 1 in 3 or so? If we had the division lead it might make sense, but in our spot we're probably not making the playoffs no matter what we do.

But probably not making the playoffs doesn't mean "we aren't making the playoffs with these guys" this year. Its unlikely, but unless you have a time machine, anyone who says otherwise is just flat-out wrong, and if we ultimately don't make the playoffs, that would not make them right as of July 31, 2014.

Shields is going to be worth a draft pick and we need him if we don't want to give up. We also need Holland if we aren't giving up. To the extent that we may want to make trades with 2015 or beyond in mind, we'll get a better deal in the winter.

So, we're in a weird no-man's land. Maybe we can pick up a mediocre outfielder for not much, but we can neither give up on our slim-but-not-zero chances at the postseason, nor should we invest further in what is probably a lost cause.

alnorth 07-31-2014 11:46 AM

Regardless of what Glass intends to do, hopefully DM thinks he's safe for next season. If he thinks he must make the playoffs this year to save his job, then he could do something really destructive for the future of the franchise.

Strongside 07-31-2014 11:53 AM

You guys are right. Moore is in a tough spot with the fans. And he should be. Other teams have rebuilt 2 times during his tenure here. He's proven nothing but an inability to develop offensive weapons in house, and has made several weird/stupid/ill-advised transactions over his time. Sure, he's won a few trades or gotten some good value from a few, but we should have seen some sort of success by now. I'm not talking about winning 85 games. I'm talking about the playoffs. Realistically, we should have made the playoffs in his 6th season and have been pushing for a title in his 8th. That's even being generous.

If he's feeling pressure from the fans, it's for good reason.

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 11:53 AM

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Been told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rays?src=hash">#Rays</a> are definitely moving Price</p>&mdash; Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/statuses/494901204657668096">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great Expectations 07-31-2014 11:53 AM

Why would we get better offers for Holland in the Winter than now?

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 11:54 AM

Be TERRIFIED:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Based purely on the fact that Beane hasn&#39;t ripped off KC in a while, I have this awful feeling Moore will vastly overpay for Jason Hammel.</p>&mdash; Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) <a href="https://twitter.com/jazayerli/statuses/494903629451493376">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>