ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9847439)
Why?

-.7 WAR, 10 mill a year. Is there something I'm missing?

He's a NAME with power. Soren loves him.

BlackHelicopters 07-31-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847419)
Petro lobbying hard for Rickie Weeks...hard

Do not want.

RockChalk 07-31-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847419)
Petro lobbying hard for Rickie Weeks...hard

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847438)
If he lobbying as hard for that as he was for trading Wil Myers for Jair Jurrjens a few years ago?

Let's not go crazy. I really think he's just emphasizing that Weeks is someone we can get without giving up anything really in return, thus only costing us money. His other emphasis is that if we really are "going for it", then doing nothing today is a stupid decision by DM.

Let's ask this question...would you all rather play with the Getz/EJ/Tejada combo or go with Weeks (assuming we really give up nothing in return)?

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847438)
If he lobbying as hard for that as he was for trading Wil Myers for Jair Jurrjens a few years ago?

Did Petro really do that? Wow. I thought that was just snark on Royals Review.

RockChalk 07-31-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847455)

I didn't take his last segment and mentions of Weeks as "lobbying hard". He just covered him as someone available, who would be a power upgrade, that would likely come cheap (again, other than money).

This is coming from someone who generally doesn't like or agree with anything Petro says, i.e. - i'm not a Petro suck-up or supporter.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 10:00 AM

Moustakas update:

Since June 1...

.265/.310/.413

That's liveable, if you get it from him long-term. It's not star-production, but it's not terrible, either.

In June, he hit for a higher average but slugged less and got on base less.

In July, the average came down a bit but he has done a better job getting on base AND hitting the ball with authority.

I'd be pretty pleased if he could make those July stats stick long-term (not holding my breath, just saying). .330 OBP, .480 SLG. That would look pretty nice hitting 5th or 6th in a good lineup.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Oh, he was going full Mike Mayock (read: banging the table) about how prospects were worthless and they should look at trading them for MLB pitching. Was obsessed with Jurrjens (remember, in 2011 he had an incredibly lucky first half and was sub-3.00 ERA at the ASB) because the Braves were allegedly floating him.

He was full-on advocating selling low on Myers if that's what it took to get a legitimate MLB pitcher like Jurrjens. Several people called in to talk about Jurrjens smoke and mirrors act, and he didn't want to hear it.

I like Soren, but I don't think he values prospects enough. That's his most fatal flaw as a baseball analyst.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-31-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847470)
Oh, he was going full Mike Mayock (read: banging the table) about how prospects were worthless and they should look at trading them for MLB pitching. Was obsessed with Jurrjens (remember, in 2011 he had an incredibly lucky first half and was sub-3.00 ERA at the ASB) because the Braves were allegedly floating him.

He was full-on advocating selling low on Myers if that's what it took to get a legitimate MLB pitcher like Jurrjens. Several people called in to talk about Jurrjens smoke and mirrors act, and he didn't want to hear it.

I like Soren, but I don't think he values prospects enough. That's his most fatal flaw as a baseball analyst.

He doesn't want wins in the minors, he wants wins in the majors... and the minors are just a means to improve the big club. Basically, the Yankees approach.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9847483)
Basically, the Yankees approach.

A team this wins games and championships. The Royals win magazine rankings, BFD.

Sure-Oz 07-31-2013 10:16 AM

I don't listen to petro on baseball...esp after the myers for jurjjens bs

alnorth 07-31-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847380)
Would GMDM sit on his thumbs when he has the opportunity turn his reputation around? You'd think the last thing he would do today is absoltutely nothing. People are optimistic about the Kansas City Royals on July 31st. You better strike while that iron is hot.

There are not many sellers this season, too many teams (arguably including the Royals) think they have a chance. One reporter just tweeted that he heard from an exec, "this is the deadest deadline day ever". Its not like the world is wheeling and dealing while the Royals are standing around, there's not much going on today relative to prior years.

The people who do have players to sell are asking for way, way too much for them, and rather than coming down, they've been saying "fine, we'll keep him and build around him then"

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9847483)
He doesn't want wins in the minors, he wants wins in the majors... and the minors are just a means to improve the big club. Basically, the Yankees approach.

I want wins in the majors, too, obviously... but know that for KC, wins in the minors translate into wins in the majors, long-term.

Petro has gotten better in the past few years about recognizing the value long-term control of good young players and ESPECIALLY in looking at more advanced stats and realizing that SPs, especially, are much more than ERA and W/L.

The Yankees' approach works FINE as long as you have cash to pay the vets AND trade your prospects for truly good players.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847470)

Versus most Royals fans that are happy to be losers as long as there is hope that 9 players will make it through the system and rescue them from their misery.

alnorth 07-31-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

As much as some Royals fans greatly over-value prospects, Petro is the other extreme. He seemingly perceives a prospect, no matter how heralded, as a middling pile of garbage until they prove otherwise.

alnorth 07-31-2013 10:28 AM

People like to think of the Yankees as selling out their farm every year, thats not completely accurate. They keep their highest, most elite, can't miss prospects. Myers is the type of player that even the Yankees would have hesitated on and demanded top dollar for.